✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Amy Winehouse Found Dead

Guest howyousawtheworld

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A death should be treated as a loss of a human life. Whether the person created their own downfall or was brought down by someone else, there is still something deeply sad about it. And when people act so cruelly, you have to wonder if they have any respect for her family and friends of hers. In my opinion, death shouldn't change your opinion of someone, but people should have the respect and dignity not to voice their opinions at this time.

Yes

Being a soul fan I found the news very sad. It's troubling someone so young and talented was not at peace.

I also found the front page of the Apple store last night deeply cynical. Front page: "Remembering Amy Winehouse" . What was this a link to? A montage of her best work for people to remember her by? A nice short tribute looking back at her work?

No - a link where you can happily buy all her tracks. This has really tarnished my view of Apple and the industry. Really cynical and low - she isn't even buried yet and already people hear the cash registers ringing.

Sadly inevitable, but very tragic indeed, and a shock nevertheless. A terrible loss to the world of music too, as she was clearly phenomenally talented, irrespective of whether you were a fan, and definitely played a big part in putting soul back on the map, particularly in Britain.

Singers like Adele have been reaping the benefits of this in the past few years.

I will never forget how I heard about her death, either. I was queuing for a Simple Minds concert, and read it in German on someone's phone.:(

Being a soul fan I found the news very sad. It's troubling someone so young and talented was not at peace.

I agree. I've always been a massive soul fan myself, and still lean towards that genre rather than rock, I'd say.

I think that's why I was blown away by Coldplay right from the start. They're a 'rock' band that oozes soul in every department.:cool:

You're such an hypocrite, you always called her "shamy winehouse", and now that she's dead you're having nice words for her.

I guess it could be said that a lot people turn that route when an artist dies. Look at her album sales.. one day and they have tripled in sales.... everyone wants a piece of Amy now... :/

on facebook i saw some comments making fun of her death.. :dozey:

that's sad.

disgusting. :angry: How can people be so cruel!!!!!

I cried a little... when I first read the news.. I was in shock. Then a little choked up.. a tear or two.. and I composed. :( Still in shock. :(

A death should be treated as a loss of a human life. Whether the person created their own downfall or was brought down by someone else, there is still something deeply sad about it. And when people act so cruelly, you have to wonder if they have any respect for her family and friends of hers. In my opinion, death shouldn't change your opinion of someone, but people should have the respect and dignity not to voice their opinions at this time.

Well said.

It's terrible isn't it. Whatever people's opinions of Amy Winehouse before it really has to take a cold heart to say 'I have no sympathy' or 'she deserved it'.

Exactly. Anybody who does so at this time should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

Whatever happened before is now totally irrelevant.;)

I remember reading similar comments when former Big Brother contestant Jade Goody died of cervical cancer a couple of years ago. Like Winehouse it was horrifying to read and watch on tv, magazines and the internet of them spiralling towards their death. It only goes to show how effective the manipulative, unsympathetic nature the media is which probably directly influenced opinions such as the above.

It's so cruel.

I agree with this too. As a "celebrity", I found Jade Goody to be extremely annoying and untalented. However, I was very sad to hear of her illness and subsequent death. The two were completely unrelated IMO. One was her "public persona" (which I had no time for whatsoever), and the other was her as a human being.

I completely agree with this. This is the second time today I've been impressed by one of your comments.:cool:

You're such an hypocrite, you always called her "shamy winehouse", and now that she's dead you're having nice words for her.

No I'm not. Everything has been explained above, and you're clearly just using this as a convenient excuse to unfairly insult me again.

I did indeed think her general behaviour in the public eye (both on and off stage) was shameful (and countless people will have agreed with this), but I certainly didn't wish her any harm.

I had hoped she would manage to straighten herself out and resurrect her singing career, but sadly that wasn't to be.:(

I guess it could be said that a lot people turn that route when an artist dies. Look at her album sales.. one day and they have tripled in sales.... everyone wants a piece of Amy now... :/

That's a completely different matter. If I had been that much of a fan of Amy's (which I wasn't), I would have bought her albums at the time they were released.

I've never understood people reacting in this way. I wouldn't say it's hypocritical, but it is rather "shallow" IMO.;)

No I'm not. Everything has been explained above, and you're clearly just using this as a convenient excuse to unfairly insult me again.

I did indeed think her general behaviour in the public eye (both on and off stage) was shameful (and countless people will have agreed with this), but I certainly didn't wish her any harm.

She never said you wished her any harm. She merely pointed out how your reaction is so contradictory to other things you've said about her. I'll use a thread of yours as an example.

http://coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59192

The first post on the second page:

I wonder if that's how Amy Winehouse started out........................... :stunned:

...Yeah.

That's a completely different matter. If I had been that much of a fan of Amy's (which I wasn't), I would have bought her albums at the time they were released.

I've never understood people reacting in this way. I wouldn't say it's hypocritical, but it is rather "shallow" IMO.;)

same difference in my opinion... lol a person claims to be a fan and doesn't bother to buy her music until she dies.. or people completely knocking her when she was alive to be saying 'oh she's a lyrical genius' now that she's dead, simply because a lot of people are say so... wishy washy.. same same. I know where you're coming from ;)

Russell Brand wrote a lovely blog post about her.

do you have a link to that? I wouldn't mind reading that...

same difference in my opinion... lol a person claims to be a fan and doesn't bother to buy her music until she dies.. or people completely knocking her when she was alive to be saying 'oh she's a lyrical genius' now that she's dead, simply because a lot of people are say so... wishy washy.. same same. I know where you're coming from ;)

do you have a link to that? I wouldn't mind reading that...

http://www.russellbrand.tv/2011/07/for-amy/

There you go.

She never said you wished her any harm. She merely pointed out how your reaction is so contradictory to other things you've said about her.

I've said numerous things about her in the past (both positive and negative), as have many other people.

Two or three years ago, people would have had no idea things had got so serious.

It was only in the past few months this had become clear.

Recently, I was actually shocked to see what had happened to her, and there was clearly nothing funny about it at all.

There is also nothing funny about anyone being seriously ill or dead.

Therefore what you said has no relevance.:dozey:

True, if people gave her no praise or recognition at all when she was alive and have now gone all OTT about her talents just to jump on the bandwagon, that's rather hypocritical.

Amy Winehouse has been around quite recently, so I agree. However, I'm sure some young people genuinely weren't familiar with most of Michael Jackson's music until he died. Quite sad really but I wouldn't call if hypocritical.

I've got Amy Winehouse's albums but if the're going to release a Greatest Hit album with a few songs that haven't been released so far, I'll buy it.

Amy Winehouse has been around quite recently, so I agree. However, I'm sure some young people genuinely weren't familiar with most of Michael Jackson's music until he died. Quite sad really but I wouldn't call if hypocritical.

I said that it could be regarded as shallow, not hypocritical. I feel the hypocrisy comes when people praise her work excessively after her death, having not given her any credit whatsoever when she was alive.

I've got Amy Winehouse's albums but if the're going to release a Greatest Hit album with a few songs that haven't been released so far, I'll buy it.

Fair enough. It doesn't really interest me, because I was never a big fan, as I said.

I said that it could be regarded as shallow, not hypocritical. I feel the hypocrisy comes when people praise her work excessively after her death, having not given her any credit whatsoever when she was alive.

Sorry, didn't read your post properly. I agree with you there.

However, I wouldn't call people shallow if they genuinely weren't familiar with the person's work (which is obviously quite unlikely in the case of Amy Winehouse).