✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is the money and fame getting to Chris Martin's songwriting abilities??

para-para-parrotdies

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....X&Y has now overtaken Parachutes. :o

BTW, for those people who voted Mylo Xyloto - do you actually think the songs we currently have have better lyrics than previous songs? Or is your excitement of getting new material clouding your judgment? I wish I had enabled the option where we could see who voted for which album.

....X&Y has now overtaken Parachutes. :o

BTW, for those people who voted Mylo Xyloto - do you actually think the songs we currently have have better lyrics than previous songs? Or is your excitement of getting new material clouding your judgment? I wish I had enabled the option where we could see who voted for which album.

As excited as I am for MX I still can't say it has the best lyrics, and If I had voted for MX it would have been out of pure excitement, so I imagine that's why it has any votes at all.

^That's not the point at all.

I think A Rush has fantastic lyrics, but since Viva had Chris spreading his wings a bit more, I voted for that one. AROBTTH is a very, very close second.

Edit: On topic, of course the succes is affecting his songwriting, but not necessarily in a bad way. I don't agree with people saying he has nothing to write about, because he doesn't have problems anymore. Of course he still has problems.

And so far MX has pretty good lyrics. Five out of seven songs we've heard have very decent lyrics, which might be an understatement.

So: no.

I think my favorite lyrics are from Violet Hill, but I'm suprised that it came from Chris.. And thats pretty recent. Just because he has money doesn't mean that he doesn't have problems.. I mean it makes life way easier and music is a way to express you sadness, anger or happiness.

There are many things he could be writing about other than rejection from a girl or losing somebody.

WHY DOES HE SING ABOUT HAPPY TEARDROPS TURNING INTO A WATERFALL IS BEYOND ME

On topic, of course the succes is affecting his songwriting, but not necessarily in a bad way. I don't agree with people saying he has nothing to write about, because he doesn't have problems anymore. Of course he still has problems.

Right, I'm sure Chris Martin still has his share of problems but the magnitude of them must surely be mitigated by the fame and the success. Even science has shown the correlation between the amount of money one haves and that individual's level of happiness.

Have you read that yourself? Most 'scientific investigations' were just surveys where they asked people what their income was and how happy they felt. There was a correlation but it was not high and after a certain amount of income (let's say average income) there was no increase anymore in happiness by increase of income.

but I am just saying that I agree with you guys ^.^ Sure Chris has still problems.

I think lyrics are different, but I wouldn't say they're worse. To me, Hurts Like Heaven is a really original song, and I love the lyrics on Charlie Brown. Also, Glass of Water and Violet Hill are great, and they're quite recent. And although not everyone likes Viva la Vida, I think it's also a really original song. I voted Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends because to me has really good lyrics (and because we haven't heard MX in full).

I think that he can't be writing literally about love, feelings and yellow things forever, THAT would be boring.

Right, I'm sure Chris Martin still has his share of problems but the magnitude of them must surely be mitigated by the fame and the success. Even science has shown the correlation between the amount of money one haves and that individual's level of happiness.

Okay, I'm sure having no financial problems adds to someone's happiness, but have you considered that Chris Martin is not particularly happy with the fame and attention he gets?

And even though he says he doesn't think about people who criticize him, who is really capable of doing that? Especially when it's from his own fans.

So there's pros and cons.

I mean, I see where you're coming from. I just don't think he's uninspired because he's succesful.

Actually, listening to Hurts Like Heaven, I don't think he's uninspired at all. :wink3:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but part of the problem could also stem from the fact that he is so closed off about his personal life, to the point of ridiculousness. He's loathed to even admit he's married at times and so I could see that bleeding into his work.

During Parachutes/AROBTTH and to a lesser extent X&Y he wore his heart very much on his sleeve, which is part of what resonated with fans (or me, at least) so much about early Coldplay, the lyrics weren't masterful, but they were honest. These days it seems his heart is firmly under lock and key.

He said that whilst making X&Y he was initially rejecting songs because they were too obviously about recent life-changing personal events, he was trying to censor himself and it was Jonny who told him to cut it out.

Since then though he's come to develop a pretty huge issue with it. Even his wife said in a recent interview that he doesn't want his fans to think of them as a couple when they listen to Coldplay songs. So the fact that this album is written from the perspective of two protagonists is hardly surprising since it allows him to remain disconnected. I don't think this is something that comes naturally to him though, it's contrived, which could explain why some of the lyrics are as poor as they are.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but part of the problem could also stem from the fact that he is so closed off about his personal life, to the point of ridiculousness. He's loathed to even admit he's married at times and so I could see that bleeding into his work.

During Parachutes/AROBTTH and to a lesser extent X&Y he wore his heart very much on his sleeve, which is part of what resonated with people so much about early Coldplay, the lyrics weren't masterful, but they were honest. These days it seems his heart is firmly under lock and key.

He said that whilst making X&Y he was initially rejecting songs because they were too obviously about recent life-changing personal events, he was trying to censor himself and it was Jonny who told him to cut it out.

Since then though he's come to develop a pretty huge issue with it. Even his wife said in a recent interview that he doesn't want his fans to think of them as a couple when they listen to Coldplay songs. So the fact that this album is written from the perspective of two protagonists is hardly surprising since it allows him to remain disconnected. I don't think this is something that comes naturally to him though, it's contrived, which could explain why some of the lyrics are as poor as they are.

I think there's a lot of truth in this post. He just doesn't want to sing about things people know about or people can imagine what they are about (marriage with Gwyneth, for example). I'm sure he still has personal problems and worries, for example: he has two children. No matter how rich he is, he's got to be very worried about them. This could bear some very good lyrics (think about "Afraid Of Everyone" by The National). But the problem is he doesn't want people to associate the lyrics of his music to his (famous) private life.

Why this means he has to sing about happy wawawaterfalls, spray can souls and para-para-paradise, like someone said before, is beyond me. He can do better and deeper than that. There's still a lot of misery going on in the world, and I'm sure he's concerned about all that. Politik and AROBTTH are great examples of how he worked that out into lyrics in the past.

I'd like to add that Moving To Mars has some great lyrics (forget about 8 to 9, 9 to 10). He hasn't lost his touch if you ask me.

Ah Afraid of Everyone by The National is a great example.

It can't help that anything either one of them says about their marriage/relationship is repeated, analylised and scrutinised either. To use The National again, he could never write a song like Conversation 16 because the lyrics would be ripped apart and quoted as undeniable proof that his marriage was over.

But, like you said, my point ultimately is that I don't think he's lost "it", more that I think it's his insistance on censoring himself that is affecting his songwriting.

During Parachutes/AROBTTH and to a lesser extent X&Y he wore his heart very much on his sleeve, which is part of what resonated with fans (or me, at least) so much about early Coldplay, the lyrics weren't masterful, but they were honest. These days it seems his heart is firmly under lock and key.

I think this touches on a point many posters have now raised: where is the heart? Where is the emotion? Whether the fame and the money is getting to his songwriting, we'll never know. However, what we do know is that he's certainly capable of much better than some of the recent lyrics. that's the most disappointing aspect of it all.

Off-topic: Do people seriously think Parachutes is the album with the worst lyrics? I know the poll isn't perfect because you can only choose 1 album. But at the same time, it's a bit shocking to see MX ahead of Parachutes.

Off-topic: Do people seriously think Parachutes is the album with the worst lyrics? I know the poll isn't perfect because you can only choose 1 album. But at the same time, it's a bit shocking to see MX ahead of Parachutes.

Look, Paradise and Every Teardrop is a Waterfall are pretty bad lyrically. But Parachutes is so stuffed with lyrical cliches it's almost embarrassing. Have you ever actually listened to the album? :P There's some good stuff in there, but a lot of it...honest and heartfelt, sure. But not exactly brilliant.

On the other hand, I think that Charlie Brown, Us Against the World and Hurts Like Heaven are all great. Some of Martin's best.

Anyway, X&Y clearly boasts Coldplay's worst lyrics. :lol:

Have you ever actually listened to the album? :P There's some good stuff in there, but a lot of it...honest and heartfelt, sure. But not exactly brilliant.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to say Parachutes has the best lyrics. After all, I did vote for AROBTTH. It's just I'm shocked that Parachutes is behind both X&Y and MX.

......come on, X&Y over Parachutes? :shocked2::shocked2:

I think this touches on a point many posters have now raised: where is the heart? Where is the emotion? Whether the fame and the money is getting to his songwriting, we'll never know. However, what we do know is that he's certainly capable of much better than some of the recent lyrics. that's the most disappointing aspect of it all.

Maybe because they have different opinions to you? I think MX has better lyrics than Parachutes. Us Against the World, Hurts like Heaven, Charlie Brown, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall all have better lyrics than anything on Parachutes in my opinion.

^:nod: True. It would be different if one of the singles had been any of the other festival songs.

I think you made a very good point about Chris locking his feelings away. I've always hoped he loosens up about his private life a little. I understand his reasons, but he's taking it so seriously, it seems kinda unhealthy...

So the fame might be getting to his songwriting abilities, because it discourages him to write about himself, his own life, or his emotions... I've changed my mind. ;)

If that's true, it's very sad, actually.

Poor Chris. You want hug?