✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Need help convincing myself Coldplay isn't Super Poppy.

lennyrott

Animal Collective's MPP and MGMT better suit that genre than Arcade Fire.

Arcade Fire is far more poppy than the somewhat challenging Animal Collective, they they could certainly fit the genre. Listen to Sprawl ii, Keep the Car Running, Ready to Start, Rebellion (Lies), etc. They are (were) a rawer form of pop, but pop nonetheless.

MGMT I agree with.

I was merely making a point that indie-pop does exist, even if it sounds an oxymoron.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indie_pop_artists

Hmm, there's some strange bands listed under indie pop. For example, I'm not sure if I ever listened to Interpol's Turn on the Bright Lights and thought to myself, "wow, this is great indie pop" :shocked2:

You have big issues if you need people to tell you how to think. Whether or not you like the song, you should come to that judgment on your own.

this, and according to my dad coldplay's always been a pop band. :uhoh: though he says the new songs still have coldplay spirit in it, just more mellow melodies. :uhoh:

i still don't like the new songs as i liked other albums of them, may be once the album is released i change my opinion.

this, and according to my dad coldplay's always been a pop band. :uhoh: though he says the new songs still have coldplay spirit in it, just more mellow melodies. :uhoh:

i still don't like the new songs as i liked other albums of them, may be once the album is released i change my opinion.

Haha Coldplay spirit. Haha more mellow. Just sayin... Don't want to make fun of your dad or anything though.

Haha Coldplay spirit. Haha more mellow. Just sayin... Don't want to make fun of your dad or anything though.

is ok, i didn't said i was agreeing with his opinion or that he were a music expert or anything, just saying to the thread opener.

to be honest we have our right to like or dislike the new material as much as they have their right to do what they want, point.

i find sad seems people are fighting against each other so vividly and aggresively for it, don't we were meant to like music, why to fight for a difference in opinion? :confused:

* peace sign *

is ok, i didn't said i was agreeing with his opinion or that he were a music expert or anything, just saying to the thread opener.

to be honest we have our right to like or dislike the new material as much as they have their right to do what they want, point.

i find sad seems people are fighting against each other so vividly and aggresively for it, don't we were meant to like music, why to fight for a difference in opinion? :confused:

* peace sign *

That's why I usually just selfishly state my own opinion and then try not to battle against the ones who disagree. You know, I try to say what's on my mind without arguing about it.

I have been a die hard Coldplay fan for years now, and in the process have collected all their works. My buds and I all listen to Indie and Rock music where I live, and we all strongly dislike the majority of today's pop music.

Every time I tell my friends Coldplay is my favourite band, they accuse me of liking crappy pop music!! Now I know that Coldplay is one of the highest grossing bands ever, and that they are extremely popular, but never did I listen to their albums and think they were crappy pop music.

I agree that Coldplay has songs that are poppy on every album: "Yellow" and "Clocks" to name a few, but ever since hearing ETIAW and Paradise, and especially after hearing Rihanna will be in POC, I am getting concerned that my friends are right!!

What should I think?? I don't want to think of Coldplay as a poppy radio band!! :confused:

You have answered your own question.

'Pop music' derives from 'Popular Music' - 'Pop' isn't actually a genre, it's just descriptive word which brands high grossing artists- which just so happens to generally be over produced manufactured artists.

It's a sad state of affairs but unfortunately Coldplay are super poppy, based on both reputation and on musical direction.

It doesn't mean that we're not allowed to love them though, right? :)

This whole thing is so ridiculous. Someone who cares what others think about their tastes, or those who feel the need to judge others by what they enjoy says more about their own insecurities than it does anything else. So many people find some kind of identity by the music they listen to, the movies they see, the books they read, the clothes they wear - as if they are somehow 'cooler' than others if their tastes aren't pedestrian. Just listen to what you like and ignore what you don't. And ignore those who try to tell you that you are somehow wrong. It's all bullsh!t.

I agree with you that one should just listen what they like regardless of what it is. I just find it frustrating that people call them "poppy" which has the connotation of lacking musical talent and following trends to be profitable, which Coldplay IS NOT!

I'm not entirely sure why everyone draws up negative connotations when the term "pop" is heard. The Beatles, often considered the greatest band of all time, was a pop band (look at anything written between '63-'66, and even some non-psych stuff from '67-'70). The Smiths, another great English band...pop music. I often compare The Smiths to Coldplay, not for any stylistic reasons, but they were a poppy-rock band with great instrumentations, a dynamic vocalist and something to say. They were a band that people loved to hate, loved to condemn and loved to label, kind of like Coldplay. Look at The Cure, Joy Division. Paul Simon is classified as World Pop. Are you gonna tell me that Paul Simon isn't an incredible musician? It's not like every Rock act is great (look at Nickelback for pete's sake!). So please, don't be ignorant. Don't condemn the genre of music, rather, take a look at the particular artist. Coldplay have LONG been mainstream. Yellow, Clocks and VLV topped the charts. They've won Grammy's. They've topped the iTunes download lists. They've headlined the world's top festivals, and there's nothing wrong with that. Bands change. What Chris Martin thought was relevant or what he felt in 2000 when he penned Parachutes might not be what he's feeling in 2011. You can't expect a person to remain stagnant for 10 years, and if you do then I suggest you leave this forum, hole yourself up in a bunker, and remain frozen in the "glory years". Be patient folks, it's a virtue.

I'm not entirely sure why everyone draws up negative connotations when the term "pop" is heard. The Beatles, often considered the greatest band of all time, was a pop band (look at anything written between '63-'66, and even some non-psych stuff from '67-'70). The Smiths, another great English band...pop music. I often compare The Smiths to Coldplay, not for any stylistic reasons, but they were a poppy-rock band with great instrumentations, a dynamic vocalist and something to say. They were a band that people loved to hate, loved to condemn and loved to label, kind of like Coldplay. Look at The Cure, Joy Division. Paul Simon is classified as World Pop. Are you gonna tell me that Paul Simon isn't an incredible musician? It's not like every Rock act is great (look at Nickelback for pete's sake!). So please, don't be ignorant. Don't condemn the genre of music, rather, take a look at the particular artist. Coldplay have LONG been mainstream. Yellow, Clocks and VLV topped the charts. They've won Grammy's. They've topped the iTunes download lists. They've headlined the world's top festivals, and there's nothing wrong with that. Bands change. What Chris Martin thought was relevant or what he felt in 2000 when he penned Parachutes might not be what he's feeling in 2011. You can't expect a person to remain stagnant for 10 years, and if you do then I suggest you leave this forum, hole yourself up in a bunker, and remain frozen in the "glory years". Be patient folks, it's a virtue.

This ^^

Just to throw another spanner in the works, Coldplay have the set-up of a rock band. And they play stadiums. So, stadium-rock?

My first post in a long time... I've always been a fan of "innovative pop music". Radio pop? Not so much. Where I live there isn't a radio station that plays the music I want to hear.

Upon hearing Yellow, I thought "What a great POP tune!" I was an instant fan of Coldplay's and have been ever since. Always changing their sound and becoming more inventive with each new album. Even though Paradise does not fall within my definition of "innovative pop" and is my least favorite track, so far... I am really put off by the negativity of some of the members of this site. I quit posting and started lurking because too many of us were so negative. Coming back after giving the site a break this past year it's a shame to see that it has gotten so much worse in some cases. Especially when it comes to ETIAW...

When I first heard X&Y, I didn't care for it too much. Now I find the album to be much better than my first impression. The same can be said for ETIAW, though I never hated it like so many others have. Major Minus is my favorite of the studio tracks we have heard so far and ETIAW is a close 2nd. MTM is a cool track and reminds me of Pink Floyd and David Bowie. Can't wait to hear the full studio versions of HLH, CB as their live versions are great pop/rock tunes.

While I agree with many that Paradise is sort of bland, the rest of the songs are by no means IMO, "too poppy"... They sound fresh, exciting and logically the direction Coldplay have been taking. Even though Parachutes and AROBTH are arguably two of the greatest albums ever cut, more of the same would have become dreary and depressing, if you ask me. I am glad that many of the new tunes or rockers, innovative pop and uplifting ----> (see Major Minus). Otherwise their live shows would risk becoming overloaded with long ballads and quite frankly, slow and boring...