✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Need help convincing myself Coldplay isn't Super Poppy.

lennyrott

I have been a die hard Coldplay fan for years now, and in the process have collected all their works. My buds and I all listen to Indie and Rock music where I live, and we all strongly dislike the majority of today's pop music.

Every time I tell my friends Coldplay is my favourite band, they accuse me of liking crappy pop music!! Now I know that Coldplay is one of the highest grossing bands ever, and that they are extremely popular, but never did I listen to their albums and think they were crappy pop music.

I agree that Coldplay has songs that are poppy on every album: "Yellow" and "Clocks" to name a few, but ever since hearing ETIAW and Paradise, and especially after hearing Rihanna will be in POC, I am getting concerned that my friends are right!!

What should I think?? I don't want to think of Coldplay as a poppy radio band!! :confused:

^How do you know that? Just because two songs? yeah those are very poppy, but what about Major Minus or Moving To Mars, do they sound poppy to you?

Since you are a Muse fan (and me too), what do you think of Undisclosed Desires or I Belong To You? Those are quite poppy too.

I won't say if Coldplay have taken a pop route until I have heard the album completely, you should do the same...

^How do you know that? Just because two songs? yeah those are very poppy, but what about Major Minus or Moving To Mars, do they sound poppy to you?

Since you are a Muse fan (and me too), what do you think of Undisclosed Desires or I Belong To You? Those are quite poppy too.

I won't say if Coldplay have taken a pop route until I have heard the album completely, you should do the same...

>implying "pop route" is equivalent to "making music in the pop music genre"

I agree that they are "poppy", but they are at least somewhat original (UD with the slap bass and R&B influenced singing, IBTY's bass clarinet solo and French singing section).

I agree with this, those two songs are some of my favourites from the new material. And don't get me wrong, I really like their poppy songs, but I am just hoping the Mylo Xyloto as a whole will have some originality and substance, and not every song will be trying to bust the charts!

I don't really mind if they went to a pop route, as long as it's good music. I like pop music, but again it's not what I look for in Coldplay.

Same here - if Coldplay wants to go the "pop" route, I wouldn't be the happiest person in the world but I would eventually accept this phase.

.....as long as the songs are good. There are examples of good "pop" like Rihanna's Umbrella or Britney Spears' Toxic for example. Paradise is not a good "pop" song. It's just not a very good song.

(And before people rush in to defend the band, let me preempt their posts: I am not saying anything conclusive about the upcoming album. I'm limiting my thoughts to the songs we have heard, namely ETIAW + Paradise)

Coldplay have always been something of a pop band, with songs like Yellow, In My Place, Fix You, etc.

That doesn't mean they're objectively bad because they're popular though.

That's what i've been saying. They're not bubble gum pop like the Gaga/Bieber/Katy Perry crap, but they've always had a bit of a pop sound in the traditional sense.

The weird thing about pop is that no one exactly knows what it means. It's considered something bad, but if it's still good music, it's not bad.

The majority of (young) people apparently have bad taste, that why the label 'pop' is negative. But actually, when a lot of people think a song is good while you don't, it can only mean that you are wrong (in a democratic world).

The label 'pop' doesn't mean anything. It's all a matter of taste. In music, even 'good' or 'bad' is only taste. No one's opinion is better than anyone else's.

It would help if we didn't have radio and charts and sales.

Pop doesn't have to be patronising, messy, over-the-top and brash.

Gorillaz are pop. They're a brilliant and inventive band. The Beatles were pop and look at them.

Quite frankly, don't limit yourself to genres, limit yourself to quality.

:nod: Exactly! My criticism recently hasn't been that Coldplay is more "pop" than before (whatever that means). If they could make a truly great "pop" album, then I would be perfectly fine with it (even though the record wouldn't necessarily be my favorite).

It's just that I think their recent songs (highlighted by ETIAW + Paradise) aren't very good...

:nod: Exactly! My criticism recently hasn't been that Coldplay is more "pop" than before (whatever that means). If they could make a truly great "pop" album, then I would be perfectly fine with it (even though the record wouldn't necessarily be my favorite).

It's just that I think their recent songs (highlighted by ETIAW + Paradise) aren't very good...

I have to say, the melody of Paradise is better than I originally thought now it's sunken in a bit... I think these two songs we've heard are going to be better live than recorded.

Well since 'pop' is just short for 'popular', of course Coldplay are a pop band. There are just varying styles within popular music so I can see the argument from both sides. Coldplay started off as more of an indie-pop band and now they are mixing in different pop styles into their music...

You have big issues if you need people to tell you how to think. Whether or not you like the song, you should come to that judgment on your own.

:nod:

I agree that they are "poppy", but they are at least somewhat original (UD with the slap bass and R&B influenced singing, IBTY's bass clarinet solo and French singing section).

Actually, the French bit is taken from Saint-Saens, so I wouldn't call that in itself original. The arrangement and execution of it, however, is definitely different.

That's what i've been saying. They're not bubble gum pop like the Gaga/Bieber/Katy Perry crap, but they've always had a bit of a pop sound in the traditional sense.

The bolded part is spot on.

Pop doesn't have to be patronising, messy, over-the-top and brash.

Gorillaz are pop. They're a brilliant and inventive band. The Beatles were pop and look at them.

Actually, I think Gorillaz are more like alternative hip-hop than pop.

I completely agree with that last bit, though. :nod:

Well since 'pop' is just short for 'popular', of course Coldplay are a pop band. There are just varying styles within popular music so I can see the argument from both sides. Coldplay started off as more of an indie-pop band and now they are mixing in different pop styles into their music...

Indie-pop? LOLWUT.

Actually, I think Gorillaz are more like alternative hip-hop than pop.

I completely agree with that last bit, though. :nod:

I'd agree about Gorillaz being alt-hiphop, and parts of Demon Days, but Plastic Beach era? Rhinestone Eyes, On Melancholy Hill, Some Kind of Nature, Pirate Jet, Empire Ants, Broken, To Binge and Doncamatic are all straight-up, unashamed pop songs.

But quite simply, what does it matter? Take That are one of the biggest pop bands in the world, but Gary Barlow is a well-respected musician, songwriter and singer. Can't the same be said of Chris Martin?

This whole thing is so ridiculous. Someone who cares what others think about their tastes, or those who feel the need to judge others by what they enjoy says more about their own insecurities than it does anything else. So many people find some kind of identity by the music they listen to, the movies they see, the books they read, the clothes they wear - as if they are somehow 'cooler' than others if their tastes aren't pedestrian. Just listen to what you like and ignore what you don't. And ignore those who try to tell you that you are somehow wrong. It's all bullsh!t.