✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay GLEE episode next week?

mrman78

you know, many glee club by young people for Coldplay :P

examples :

and this :

is same for U2

but good comment

Originals are always better. I do love the Glee versions. I love the arrangements. And as someone said before they aren't trying to make a better version. And if U2 didn't want them to cover their song they wouldn't have given them permission. Your favorite band is getting money for this. Be happy.

And stop clicking on Glee videos if you hate Glee. The eff is wrong with you people. If I hate a show I'm not gonna go out of my way to comment on a video of a TV show I hate. Grow up.

and even though old Chris or Bono , I know others people who are even more older pff.............

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand, it's sort of etiquette for bands to agree to this kind of stuff. It's free publicity, and it's negative press if they choose not to share their stuff.

Yeah, it's screwy, but that's the way it works with this Glee stuff.

I think the annoying thing will be when a lot of people are gonna listen to Fix you on you tube and are gonna say "ohh this is the song from Glee!!" or "thumbs up if you're here because of Glee" and I know I should avoid reading these comments but when it's about Coldplay I just get angry! I personally don't like Glee, because sometimes they completely destroy some songs, but I agree that this is a good publicity for their music.

If you don't like the song being on Glee because it would ruin your memories, then don't watch Glee.

For me it is really that simple.

Who cares?

Yeah, it's annoying, but just don't watch.

:confused:

I never, ever understood this line of thinking. It's this ridiculous "out-of-sight-out-of-mind" way of thinking. I'm sorry, but I don't view anything in life like that. It deeply saddens me to learn that a song that means so much for many people is going to be trashed on Glee. Yes, the performances will be great I'm sure, yes it will be high production, but it's going to lessen the amount of force that song has for so many people.

It's far deeper than that. It's about the rhetoric behind it and the concept of selling music to a television show.

Baw8cc, if you're annoyed by something then why are you so apathetic to it occurring? Just because you aren't watching it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

From what I understand, it's sort of etiquette for bands to agree to this kind of stuff. It's free publicity, and it's negative press if they choose not to share their stuff.

Yeah, it's screwy, but that's the way it works with this Glee stuff.

Nonsense. There are plenty of bands that would never, ever sell their music to Glee. "Etiquette" or not. In fact, Coldplay from a few years ago would never do it.

It seems the Chris Martin of 2002 agrees with me:

"We wouldn't be able to live with ourselves if we sold the songs' meanings like that"

Heh.

It's far deeper than that. It's about the rhetoric behind it and the concept of selling music to a television show.

:nod: The fact that so many people's posts were along the lines of "if you don't like it, then don't watch it" show they don't really understand why people are disappointed. This isn't really about Glee - it's about musical integrity.

Both Kiame and I quoted Chris Martin from 2002 where he made it clear that the band would never resort to selling the songs' meanings. And yet here we are, just 9 years later, where Coldplay reneged on their earlier statements.

Let's not kid ourselves and say this is about publicity - there's plenty of other ways a band or musician can make their music heard.... without resorting to selling songs for the highest price.

Well, in all fairness, a while back it came out that they said no to Glee and got bad press for it, so saying yes at that point wasn't really their choice. And it's not like they were going, "Hey, how can we get Fix You to be more popular?" and allowed Glee to use it. Glee wanted to use it and it sort of seems like the polite thing to do for them to say, "Yeah, sure you can cover our song."

This isn't a car commercial, it's a televised cover.

Here's a demo from 2010...sounds remarkably close to the promo :uhoh:

Blah, that's far worse than I imagined it sounding. It sounds really cheesy. I don't like the traditional musical theatre sounding voices on the top of that song.

:confused:

Baw8cc, if you're annoyed by something then why are you so apathetic to it occurring? Just because you aren't watching it doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Nonsense. There are plenty of bands that would never, ever sell their music to Glee. "Etiquette" or not. In fact, Coldplay from a few years ago would never do it.

It seems the Chris Martin of 2002 agrees with me:

"We wouldn't be able to live with ourselves if we sold the songs' meanings like that"

Heh.

But there's literally nothing you can do about it. How can you make progress yourself? Call your local Congressman? Pickett outside of Fox Studios? Drown yourself in the bathtub?

You can either let it annoy you or not. Getting all riled up isn't going to change the fact that it's happening.

And when Chris said that, I think he meant that if he sells a ton of songs to commercials: Like when Gatorade offered them a crapload of money for Yellow on a commercial, which they refused. And they still don't do that. I think Glee (to whom they are not selling, they're allowing some dumb kids to sing it) is much different than that. It does not cost Glee anything to recreate anyone's songs. And to be frank, legally, they don't need to ask permission of the band: That's the record company's call. The creator of the show chooses to ask the bands due to implied etiquette on his end.

I think Glee (to whom they are not selling, they're allowing some dumb kids to sing it) is much different than that. It does not cost Glee anything to recreate anyone's songs. And to be frank, legally, they don't need to ask permission of the band: That's the record company's call. The creator of the show chooses to ask the bands due to implied etiquette on his end.

1) No, Glee has to pay a ton of $$$ to use a song. This is called a song licensing fee.

2) This doesn't even cover the royalties the band will receive once the cover version is sold on iTunes.

3) Legally, yes, they do need to ask permission for the songs. And it is not the record company's call in this case - the band has the right of refusal.

So in short, it's no different than selling the use of songs for commercials. Let's stop beating around the bush and call it for what it is: it's the band compromising on their earlier values to cash in a couple more checks.