✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mylo Xyloto in Every Song?

twitchy517

Here's my perception-

• Hurts Like Heaven
    Choral Progression throughout the whole song is the same 4-line melody, going lower each 4 bars. The chorus itself is a vocal reprise aswell (The "ooh" part)

• Paradise
    The melody that the piano is based around is the same 4-line melody. Choral Progression, like in Hurts Like Heaven, is the same melody throughout the song aswell, directly linking it to Hurts Like Heaven aswell. The Violin melody is a complete reversal, going up rather than down the Staff.

• Charlie Brown
    Bass riff throughout the song is a half-reversal of the melody, as in it goes upwards from the the original line every two lines.
    Half-chorus, "All The Boys... All The girls... All the madness in the world..." is a reprise of the same melody, vocal, guitar and bass.

• Us Against The World
    Just like Para and Heaven, The same exact choral progression throughout the song, (except the half-chorus (if we could float away...)) going lower each time. Again, connecting itself with Para, Mylo and Heaven.

• M.M.I.X.
    An extremely stretched out reprise of Mylo.

• Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall
    CAN'T FIND ANYTHING!

• Major Minus
    The choral progression is the exact same in the verses. (one eye watching you...) The droning before the guitar solo is the same melody.

• U.F.O
    It's Main guitar riff. Duh.

• Princess Of China
    The melodic riff during the vocal solos (ooh..) is the same melody. Same goes with the lalala

• Up In Flames
    Just Like Heaven, Para, World and Minus, the same choral progression, throughout the song, except the chorus. The Bass and Piano melody is based around the same melody in Mylo. During the chorus, the piano reprises the Mylo melody.

• A Hopeful Transmission
    Only idiots won't Realise this is a complete reprise of Mylo.

• Don't Let It Break Your Heart
    The whole melody is Mylo repeating itself over and over again for 4 minutes with thrashy instrumentals and chris bashing it out. Another reason why this is the best song on the album.

• A Hopeful Transmission
    The whole second act of the song (2:05-2:36), is accompanied by a reprise of the Mylo melody

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_correlation

Slow down.

This melody appears once or twice in what would've been the really defining points in the songwriting:

• UFO, I'm guessing, is the origin of this melody. I'm guessing it's the earliest album track of this era, and maybe that's why it was favoured over some of the others? But either way, it sounds like the origin of the acoustic record.
  • MX starts the album. MX was probably a title of a different song that wasn't good enough, so they took the UFO melody and placed it in there.
  • Hurts Like Heaven was probably built from the MX chords, but there are so many brilliant melodies, from both Chris and Johnny's guitar, that you can't pin down the MX melody. Similarities, sure, but concrete evidence? Nope, can't hear it.
  • Don't Let It Break Your Heart is the antithesis to Hurts Like Heaven; stadium-rocking anthems that starts the album and it's encore. Thus, an MX antithesis has to follow DLIBYH. You're correct, AHT is a reprise.
  • The latter half of Up With The Birds is another huge moment on the album, as it closes the record. It's the polar opposite, the end of the record. So the melody's use here is sorta self-explanatory.

I cannot hear it anywhere else. I think what they've done is perfectly natural considering they've called MX a concept record.

And MMIX is not a stretched out MX, fact.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously how could anybody not hear it in Charlie Brown?

Go listen to Mylo and then sing to yourself, All the Boys... All the Girls... All the Madness In the World...

NOW YOU HEAR IT!

Also, i would know if it was some fancy illusion or not. Every band has their secrets! Queen, U2, Green Day, The Veronicas, Florence + The Machine and ESPECIALLY Apparatjik and Pink Floyd have taught me that. Mylo Xyloto is a strange album. How could it not contain secrets?

Also, I take back the MMIX thing. I just realised myself.

Here's my perception-

• Hurts Like Heaven
    Choral Progression throughout the whole song is the same 4-line melody, going lower each 4 bars. The chorus itself is a vocal reprise aswell (The "ooh" part)

• Paradise
    The melody that the piano is based around is the same 4-line melody. Choral Progression, like in Hurts Like Heaven, is the same melody throughout the song aswell, directly linking it to Hurts Like Heaven aswell. The Violin melody is a complete reversal, going up rather than down the Staff.

• Charlie Brown
    Bass riff throughout the song is a half-reversal of the melody, as in it goes upwards from the the original line every two lines.
    Half-chorus, "All The Boys... All The girls... All the madness in the world..." is a reprise of the same melody, vocal, guitar and bass.

• Us Against The World
    Just like Para and Heaven, The same exact choral progression throughout the song, (except the half-chorus (if we could float away...)) going lower each time. Again, connecting itself with Para, Mylo and Heaven.

• M.M.I.X.
    Nothing Here.

CAN'T FIND ANYTHING! I KNOW THERE'S SOMETHING! ENO YOU ARE FUCKING WITH MY MIND RIGHT NOW!

• Major Minus
    The choral progression is the exact same in the verses. (one eye watching you...) The droning before the guitar solo is the same melody.

• U.F.O

• Princess Of China
    The melodic riff during the vocal solos (ooh..) is the same melody. Same goes with the lalala

• Up In Flames
    Just Like Heaven, Para, World and Minus, the same choral progression, throughout the song, except the chorus. The Bass and Piano melody is based around the same melody in Mylo. During the chorus, the piano reprises the Mylo melody.

• A Hopeful Transmission

The whole melody is Mylo repeating itself over and over again for 4 minutes with thrashy instrumentals and chris bashing it out. Another reason why this is the best song on the album.

• Up With The Birds
    The whole second act of the song (2:05-2:36), is accompanied by a reprise of the Mylo melody

What have we learned from VLV yesterday and Mylo today? BRIAN ENO IS A GENIUS that's what!

wow thanks for this.

i noticed something background the songs but never thought that deeply.

Seriously how could anybody not hear it in Charlie Brown?

Go listen to Mylo and then sing to yourself, All the Boys... All the Girls... All the Madness In the World...

NOW YOU HEAR IT!

Also, i would know if it was some fancy illusion or not. Every band has their secrets! Queen, U2, Green Day, The Veronicas, Florence + The Machine and ESPECIALLY Apparatjik and Pink Floyd have taught me that. Mylo Xyloto is a strange album. How could it not contain secrets?

Also, I take back the MMIX thing. I just realised myself.

It's similar, but what I'd say is that you could find it in any song if you look hard enough.

Sorry if it seems like I'm trampling over your hard work here, I just can't believe that they'd reeeally do something like this :P

Eno is a genius. A visionary. Probably the main reason why U2's albums aged so well.

They invented that style and not much has happened since then. (Except for grunge in the 90s.)

But RazorEye, you like CP+Eno but not U2+Eno? :P

I was just thinking about the whole Mylo Xyloto in every song thing. Remember when they said the original idea was to make an album that had an animated film that went along with it? Well movies usually have a movie score that runs through out the film. Variations of the score are made for different songs for different scenes in the movie. I was thinking maybe thats whats kind of going on with this album. It is sort of a concept album. So it has a sort of general theme/plot. Much like movies. I think Mylo Xyloto is the "original score" and is varied in the songs on the album. In some songs its very subtle and others its very prominent. Just a thought.

Here's my perception-

• Hurts Like Heaven

• Paradise

• Charlie Brown

• Us Against The World

• M.M.I.X.
    Nothing Here.

CAN'T FIND ANYTHING! I KNOW THERE'S SOMETHING! ENO YOU ARE FUCKING WITH MY MIND RIGHT NOW!

• Major Minus

• U.F.O

• Princess Of China

• Up In Flames

• A Hopeful Transmission

• Up With The Birds

What have we learned from VLV yesterday and Mylo today? BRIAN ENO IS A GENIUS that's what!

ok i dont usually like swearing but

HOLY FUCKING FUCK! I JUST FRICKING REALIZED ALL OF THIS!!!!!!!

I MEAN HOLY SHIT. THIS IS GENIUSSS!!!!!!!! My mind is officially blown.

I need to go listen to MX again...

:o:o:o:shocked2::shocked2::stunned::stunned::stunned:

Mylo Xyloto... wow.. Its the fricking centerpiece of the album.

But RazorEye, you like CP+Eno but not U2+Eno? :P

Yeah, I never though the way U2's album were produced and how they sounded were crap. Mabye because it's U2 and Bono and The Edge's crappier songwriting. Because I really hate U2. Especially how Bono has made a prick of himself over the years. In fact, there are really only 3 artists I really hate with a passion: INXS, Justin Bieber and U2. (Used to hate Kanye West aswell, but my mind completely changed that after MBDTF)

• 1 month later...
Yeah, I never though the way U2's album were produced and how they sounded were crap. Mabye because it's U2 and Bono and The Edge's crappier songwriting. Because I really hate U2. Especially how Bono has made a prick of himself over the years. In fact, there are really only 3 artists I really hate with a passion: INXS, Justin Bieber and U2. (Used to hate Kanye West aswell, but my mind completely changed that after MBDTF)

My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy is maybe the most beautiful fusion of noises known to man.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i tried so many times to listen MX melody in the other songs but doesn't works D: (it's just like when you have a 'magic eye' book, and you try to see a hidden image, but you can't... but your friend can do this.)

ps. dumb question: what is a reversal / half-reversal? i google it but don't found anything

• 2 months later...
Interesting. What exactly are the notes of that four-line melody?

On Mylo Xyloto, the notes are D,C,Bb, and A.

On other songs, the key is sometimes different, but the pattern is always descending: whole step, whole step, then a half step.

Or if you want to sing along like middle school choir, think "Mi Re Do, Ti" :):)

Right, just have to share this with everyone,

I was reading this thread so i decided to start playing MX on the piano which just happens to be next to my laptop. I'd played it about once and then suddenly, without doing anything, the background synth/guitar/xylophone started to back up my piano. in time and everything! I was sat playing thinking wow how cool is this, i have a super power that plays music in my head out loud. Turns out it was my phone ringing because MX is my ringtone, someone had called the wrong number...

i bet its a sign..