✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

So who else thinks this is by far Coldplay's weakest album yet?

TwistedPolitik

Necessary for what? :thinking:

Necessary to have any success these days. They're up against Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, LMFAO, and the list goes on. They have to have a bit of pop in their music to compete. That's why another album like Parachutes would probably flop.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying they're deliberately being more "pop" just because they want to sell, like, they plan to make that sort of music to be commercially succesfull. You know, once Chris said they wanted to get better not bigger, he probably changed his mind then.

I'm probably just naive in thinking that an artist is composing and playing music because they feel an inspiration, not because they're driven by the money and sell, sell, sell.

Wow I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I know that everybody has their opinions, but technically Mylo Xyloto will NEVER be better than AROBTTH.

It's a different style of music than what we've heard from Coldplay before, that's it. It's just a question of whether you like it or not.

I didn't think you were rude. Your right, everyone does have their opinions. And mine is that MX is their best album.

Sounds horrible but I must admit I am a little bored of the album after just 1 week, i have never felt like this about any coldplay album before, maybe its me and my state of mind at the moment, I don't know, I am under alot of pressure. I hope it is my mood, I don't like feeling bored by coldplay!!!

That's the pop music effect. So catchy at first ; you buy, you love, but then you get tired of it. That's how music works today. People don't take time to listen to a song ; they just listen 25 seconds of it and it's it bad, then you click X on the internet window and you're done. That's why the songs today have to be catchy.

That's the pop music effect. So catchy at first ; you buy, you love, but then you get tired of it. That's how music works today. People don't take time to listen to a song ; they just listen 25 seconds of it and it's it bad, then you click X on the internet window and you're done. That's why the songs today have to be catchy.

You're right. But why do Coldplay have to follow this? My guess is that Chris is scared to death that his tunes will not get everyone going right away. But we could go deeper and conclude that they just want to sell records and they (Chris) probably think instant commercial success is the only way to measure how good a song/album is.

songs have always been designed to be catchy.

that said, all coldplay songs are designed to be catchy.

that said, i would agree that there is a pressure among the pop and music industry to release music that is "guetta"-y and instantly danceable (not that i have anything against dance music, i love it when it's done well) - but i don't think coldplay have done that trick with the album while still incorporating synths into their sound.

songs have always been designed to be catchy.

that said, all coldplay songs are designed to be catchy.

that said, i would agree that there is a pressure among the pop and music industry to release music that is "guetta"-y and instantly danceable (not that i have anything against dance music, i love it when it's done well) - but i don't think coldplay have done that trick with the album while still incorporating synths into their sound.

That's what I meant. The song has to start right away, with a catchy beat, for people to like it as soon as they hear it. It's designed for the radio.

To maintain the topic, I want to say it is beyond my comprehension why Chris Martin so desperately craves fame. It's become blatant, there's almost no article without his lamentations about the biggest band in the world and admiring a whole load of superficial pop stars like Katy Perry, Justin Bieber and such.

A desire to advance, to show how good you are and to earn acknowledge for it, I can understand that, but it seems to me this is not the case with Martin. He gives the impression he wants a different kind of audience, that of above mentioned 'artists' and it feels as if he's ready to make a special pop album solely to win them over to his side, to have the most viewed videos on Youtube, top the Billboard charts and fill the stadiums and arenas Coldplay perform in.

I admit I may be exaggerating a little bit, but it certainly has me wondering.

EDIT: K, slightly offtopic :P

To maintain the topic, I want to say it is beyond my comprehension why Chris Martin so desperately craves fame. It's become blatant, there's almost no article without his lamentations about the biggest band in the world and admiring a whole load of superficial pop stars like Katy Perry, Justin Bieber and such.

A desire to advance, to show how good you are and to earn acknowledge for it, I can understand that, but it seems to me this is not the case with Martin. He gives the impression he wants a different kind of audience, that of above mentioned 'artists' and it feels as if he's ready to make a special pop album solely to win them over to his side, to have the most viewed videos on Youtube, top the Billboard charts and fill the stadiums and arenas Coldplay perform in.

THIS

:nod:

Exactly what I'm thinking. Amen.

:nod:

Not really off topic, this stuff is all related.

I'm probably just naive in thinking that an artist is composing and playing music because they feel an inspiration, not because they're driven by the money and sell, sell, sell.

I don't think they care about the money whatsoever anymore (why would they?), but in every other respect the pressure Coldplay are under is ridiculous. Probably most pertinent is the pressure they put themselves under imho.

To me MX isn't weak, just a broad departure from Coldplay's past styles. And to me, thats cool. :) This is just my opinion. To each there own!

THIS :) a departure is a great word to describe what they're doing and i also happen to think that it's a good thing that they're trying out new things, i read in some other thread that when they part ways with Eno, they'll make another Parachutes-sounding album, we just have to wait but, for now, i really like this stage they're in

I haven't yet actually posted a "review" per se, and I don't expect I will because no one will read it anyways.

I do disagree that the band are all about fame. If Chris has displayed anything, it is that he dislikes fame and that he loves pop music. He has acted again and again and again like he disdains the attention from the media and press. He doesn't speak about his wife. He's just a chill guy in interviews.

You guys realize this is interview time, right? They have to do this.

Chris loves pop. And that's just the way it is.

THIS :) a departure is a great word to describe what they're doing and i also happen to think that it's a good thing that they're trying out new things, i read in some other thread that when they part ways with Eno, they'll make another Parachutes-sounding album, we just have to wait but, for now, i really like this stage they're in

Personally I think the point is that they tried all the new things on Viva...and it was a huge success (that was the 'departure'). Now, they've returned to X&Y ways and been so self-indulgent that they've spent all their time on creating noodley interludes, and self-obsessed so much about every little detail, and in the process actually lost sight of the songs. The songs to me were to the front of X&Y, but the only thing I hear in MX (apart from PoC and Paradise) is production over song integrity.

I only listened to the album once. And I intent not to listen to it again for some good time.

To me MX isn't weak, just a broad departure from Coldplay's past styles. And to me, thats cool. :)

A brazilian comedian once said there are only two kinds of joke: the good and the bad ones. The same can be said about music. And THIS, this is BAD.

I only listened to the album once. And I intent not to listen to it again for some good time.

A brazilian comedian once said there are only two kinds of joke: the good and the bad ones. The same can be said about music. And THIS, this is BAD.

Bad and different are two different things. This is merely different, and different doesnt equal bad.

I don't think they care about the money whatsoever anymore (why would they?), but in every other respect the pressure Coldplay are under is ridiculous. Probably most pertinent is the pressure they put themselves under imho.

I didn't mentioned it, I was just answering a post who basically said they're only looking for success in terms of music sales (comparing them with how much Lady Gaga and co. sell), which automatically mean money.

For me being successfull is not just a matter of how much you sell.

So you're saying they're deliberately being more "pop" just because they want to sell, like, they plan to make that sort of music to be commercially succesfull. You know, once Chris said they wanted to get better not bigger, he probably changed his mind then.

I agree. I think it's unfair to accuse them (and Chris specifically) of being fame hungry when everything about their/his actions indicate they're not comfortable with fame at all. Just because he enjoys Gaga doesn't mean he wants to be as famous as her! It's not their best by any stretch but I don't think they've deliberately set out of make an album to solely become more famous. In an interview recently when the interviewer tried to tell Chris about how well the album was selling and he was adamant he didn't want to know. I think even with all the pressure from EMI, they still care more about what people think of it, than how it sells.

I think unfortunately that this is just the music that they want to make now. :shrug:

I see where you're coming from, but I don't believe this is true. Or I don't want to believe it. And even if it is true, as long as the music is good, it shouldn't matter.

He does admire all those people, but he admires a lot of other people too. Chris Martin admires anyone. In those same articles he also mentions artists who are critically acclaimed. (Radiohead, anyone?)

And he doesn't crave fame, at all.

The thing that worries me most, is when Chris says he writes songs that would fit Glastonbury and that he likes singalongs. Singalongs are awesome, but right now they mean simple lyrics and lots of oooh's. They have to be very careful with that, or they'll become a joke. I think they need to write songs again that would fit better in a small room instead of a huge festival.

MX might be far from their best, but I'm convinced they made it because they like it, not because they want to be more famous. They want to get better, not bigger. They can't get much bigger anyway.

I think Coldplay, including Chris, always want to improve. Doesn't mean they'll always succeed, but they do try.

Edit: And footyfan, I'll read your review ;)