✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

So who else thinks this is by far Coldplay's weakest album yet?

TwistedPolitik

Predictable? You are so naive. This lp experiments with new sounds and song structure unlike any of the previous albums.

After VLV, some of their actions are frightfully predictable (woohhh-ohhhs are a good example). With how much those crooning woah's amplified the success of that album, it's only obvious that they'd play that card again.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love MX i think the whole album is so uplifting and is a new aspect of music and takes something ugly as graffiti and shows it from another side and shows the beauty of it and it includes the government watching everyone and the whole 1984 theme with a little colour in it i think its a beautiful album :)

definitely the strong songs are mx/hlh (that song right theres a masterpiece), paradise.UATW,etiaw,uwtb. i still need more listens im obsessed with it :) the only weaker songs are ufo and Major minus but i still love major minus for the whole oppresive government theme!

Why does everyone seem to be hating on X&Y, it is my favorite album :( Agreed Mylo Xyloto isn't the best album but it isn't the worst they have ever done. It is really good (except Princess of China) overall and is growing on me. To me the worst was Parachutes, but even still I love Parachutes. I believe an appropriate term would be "the least memorable" for albums we don't like :laugh3:

Why does everyone seem to be hating on X&Y, it is my favorite album :( Agreed Mylo Xyloto isn't the best album but it isn't the worst they have ever done. It is really good (except Princess of China) overall and is growing on me. To me the worst was Parachutes, but even still I love Parachutes. I believe an appropriate term would be "the least memorable" for albums we don't like :laugh3:

Definitely find it interesting that people have such varying opinions of coldplay albums. I think parachutes is by far their best effort. It seems everyone thinks a rush of blood is the best though. I can never get enough parachutes and I hope one day theyll do an album like that again butttt i dont think that will happen unfortunately. This album definitely isn't their weakest but Ill agree I was expecting a little more from the acoustic stuff. I love UATW but sometimes that constant strumming of the guitar is just too repetitive. Definitely still growing on me though.

It sounds like you only like the acoustic songs.

---------------

People need to realize that Coldplay has a rhythmic sound too.

Calling this album mediocre or a flop just because it has more upbeat songs than stripped down is not fair. I would say that it shows how one sided you are.

Perhaps I do, but that's not the point. The supremacy of the songs I mentioned over Paradise and such is not questionable, whether you like acoustic songs or not. OR, if you do not see them as superior to the rest, you certainly can't exclude them from what is considered the better half of the album.

Why do we need to compare them? Obviously, we all enjoy some more than others, but I don't think I can pick between ARoBttH or VlVoDaAhF.

That's one of the great things about a band like Coldplay. Their albums are all completely different. Lady Gaga will always release the same brand of pop music, but bands like U2, Radiohead, Coldplay and the like evolve.

Coldplay haven't evolved, they've just gone to another style of music. If they wanted to evolve they should have actually expanded upon one of their established sounds. Wiping the slate clean and doing a new sound before even fulfilling the potential of any previous album isn't evolution. It seems more like a reboot, if you want.

To me, every Coldplay album brings something great and memorable to the table. None of them to me are "weak". There has never been a Coldplay album yet that I didnt like. This is how I catagorize them:

Parachutes- the fluffy debut album with a heart of gold

AROBTTH- The ground-breaker. EPIC!

X&Y-The perfect album for when life is shitty. It was great for me in that point of my life. My personal favorite.

Viva- Arena-rock at its finest! Loved it. Really diverse.

MX- The boys stepping out of their comfort zone big time. And I'm liking it!

To me MX isn't weak, just a broad departure from Coldplay's past styles. And to me, thats cool. :)

This is just my opinion. To each there own!

It seems more like a reboot, if you want.[/color]
That's a very nice observation. I would have gone more with saying they have devolved, but that may be a little harsh so I think I like what you said better.

I feel like they should have had just ONE song that had the same piano-to-loud build we know and love.[/color] Like Amsterdam or Fix You or something. DLIBYH had that opportunity...UWTB does it too disjointedly, and none of the other songs get quite as big unfortunately...
They did, Moving to Mars. Oh wait...

The powers that be decided not to put it on the album (would have been perfect after Charlie Brown imho).

only one word to the name of this thread:

NOOOOO!!

JUST BEACAUSE IT DOESNT SOUND LIKE RADIOHEAD DAESNT MEAN THAT IS A BAD ALBUM

LOLQUE

I don't seem to recall the thread creator (or anyone else in this thread thus far) saying that it was a bad album because it doesn't sound like Radiohead.

... My avatar is of Tupac Shakur...
Tupac rules.

I think we need to distinguish between 'weak' and 'worst'. Technically, Parachutes was their weakest. Now don't get me wrong, I love it to death, as I do with all the albums. But it was their first outing, and they weren't a very strong band at that point. AROBTTH was a more confident album, building on things that had started on Parachutes. Then X & Y was an even more confident album, with their first shot at commercial success, which they almost pulled off seamlessly (Love this album too, btw). Then their's Viva la Vida, which hit commercial success right on the dot. Possibly my favorite album. Then there's Mylo Xyloto. It has catchy tunes, that slight pop element which is necessary nowadays, and a story. Quite possibly there strongest album, and it's duking it out with VLV to be my favorite. Now that's just my thoughts on it.

LOLQUE

I don't seem to recall the thread creator (or anyone else in this thread thus far) saying that it was a bad album because it doesn't sound like Radiohead.

Tupac rules.

there are a lot of fans of radiohead here and they like coldplay because they used to sound like radiohead or maybe some songs remind them radiohead. Im convinced that some people dont like this album for radiohead reason

Sounds horrible but I must admit I am a little bored of the album after just 1 week, i have never felt like this about any coldplay album before, maybe its me and my state of mind at the moment, I don't know, I am under alot of pressure. I hope it is my mood, I don't like feeling bored by coldplay!!!

X&Y is my second favourite album, I think it's incredibly underrated. I definitely agree that this is their weakest album so far and I don't believe it will grow on me, I never liked Viva all that much but it's so much better in comparison to MX.

I think it's their weakest album... It's not bad, but it's not good either.

X&Y was my least favourite before MX, but now they're both down on the bottom of my "list". It wasn't because I had too high expectations for MX, because my expectations were quite low after hearing about Princess of china... I understand that they want to change their sound, it's just that the sound they seem to be going for doesn't really appeal to me...

After listening through the whole of MX it felt like it wasn't going to be an album that I'll listen to time after time like the other albums. I've listened to them so many times and I won't get bored of it. MX feels different, and it's sad, actually :( Still has some good songs on it though.

Can't make my mind up..

For me MX is a very mixed bag... perhaps that's they should have called it MiXed!

For every masterpiece like Us Against The World there's the awfulness of Princess of China.

I think this album includes some of their very best work to date and also some of their worst.

I do.

Edit: I've listened to MX quite some times now, and it doesn't move me in any way, it's kinda flat and empty. It has its moments though and I regularly find myself nodding and tapping to the beat, but it's not enough, not satisfying, far from it.

I disagree with people who say Viva was a grower and this one will be too. The first times I heard Viva I thought "what the fuck is this?" because I didn't understand it and I was used to their old style. But it still fascinated me just because of these reasons, and little by little it revealed itself to me as a masterpiece. Innovation Coldplay needed. It took me over a year to know the titles to the individual tracks as it has always been one solid piece to me. I still enjoy listening to it and I still enjoy the mystery that surrounds it. It is in fact the varied concept album MX tries to present itself as.

As for MX, we all know Chris is a fool for any kind of pop music or anything that's catchy. It was only a matter of time before that took control of Coldplay's music. I regard this album as a game they play or an exercise they do to see what happens when they experiment with all kinds of popular genres and a ton of sugar syrup. Something to keep things amusing for the boys. I hope it won't last, this direction. In 10 years, MX will be kind of forgotten (my guess), it will be nothing compared to what AROBTTH will still be then.