✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rank Coldplay's albums

Long Live Life

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

LP7- "A Head Full Of Dreams"

The album may or may not be better than MX but will it be better than one of the acclaimed classics like AROBTTH ? I bet not. (Don't wanna hurt the MX-likers feelings there, and I'm not talking about person's favourite albums, but it is inarguable that AROBTTH is more of a classic in Coldplay history and music history than MX...:))

It won't be as good as AROBTTH. It depends on what kind of pop album they have created. Viva la vida is pop art/baroque pop and it is excellent. [emoji173]️

If you think MX is Coldplay's best album, you've clearly only listened to one Coldplay album :laugh3:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32506[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32509[/ATTACH]

I'm going to assume you mean that MX is their worst album, or at least one of their worst.

And I hate to say this, because opinions are opinions, but you are wrong.

You're very wrong.

VIVA is my personal favorite, but MX is very strong in its own right, because its the first time that Chris and Co. didn't care about what other people thought. They just went for it, and it shows. MX never felt contrived to me, it always felt pure and joyous and bright. And its gotten better as time has gone on, for me.

Lets get out of this mode of thinking that AROBTTH cant be touched. Its not their best album and its annoying when people bash the newer stuff.

But the ratings in the pics you posted are subjective as well, aren't they ? What do you wanna tell us with these pics ?

I will talk as things "in my opinion" because I don't want to offend anyone nor do i want to ignite a new Oldplay vs. Newplay debate here. Well, in my opinion Coldplay's early albums were deep and very earnest, they had to prove themselves in the world and they did so by creating meaningful, deep and artistic music.

When they became bigger-than-life after Viva, they could do anything they wanted and it would still end up in massive sales and fame. Chris became more and more influenced by modern pop music and the band shifted to pop. MX is probably better than a lot of mainstream pop nowadays but it still doesn't compare favorably to their early works. For me, the themes are treated in a very shallow way - its wannabe rebellious spirit seems like a shadow of the spirit in Viva, and its love and loss themes are but a shell of what has been in AROBTTH. Yes, it may be joyous and bright but so is Happy by Pharell Williams. What does that tell us ? What insight does it give us ? That we are oh-so-happy with our lives ? And oh, anything is possible, and let's all be so happy while we live in that colourful sugary Mylo-World. Teardrops ? Nah, for every teardrop is a wa-wa-wa-wa-waaaterfall. Yay !

Also, GS, which has a pretense of being very emotional and open, does not achieve this purpose and loses out in earnesty and profoundness to Parachutes and AROBTTH.

My own personal ranking:

1. AROBTTH and X&Y (can't decide)

2. Parachutes

3. Viva

4. MX

5. GS

Don't get me wrong, Mylo Xyloto is not a bad pop album. It is not a good Coldplay album.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32505[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32506[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32507[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32508[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32509[/ATTACH]

I'm going to assume you mean that MX is their worst album, or at least one of their worst.

And I hate to say this, because opinions are opinions, but you are wrong.

You're very wrong.

VIVA is my personal favorite, but MX is very strong in its own right, because its the first time that Chris and Co. didn't care about what other people thought. They just went for it, and it shows. MX never felt contrived to me, it always felt pure and joyous and bright. And its gotten better as time has gone on, for me.

Lets get out of this mode of thinking that AROBTTH cant be touched. Its not their best album and its annoying when people bash the newer stuff.

I agree with a lot of your thinking... AROBTTH is widely considered to be Coldplay's best album but that's just a matter of opinion. :P

Don't get me wrong' date=' Mylo Xyloto is not a bad pop album. It is not a good Coldplay album.[/quote']

I'm fine with most of the rest of your post, but I'm sorry, MX is a fantastic Coldplay album. And it's one of the best pop albums if not the best.

And I think you'd have to look a little bit deeper into MX to find more of the meaning... it's not all happy and bright and fun. :)

Here's my ranking's if anyone is interested:

1 - MX

2 - Viva

3 - X&Y

4 - AROBTTH

5 - GS

6 - Parachutes

But the ratings in the pics you posted are subjective as well, aren't they ? What do you wanna tell us with these pics ?

I will talk as things "in my opinion" because I don't want to offend anyone nor do i want to ignite a new Oldplay vs. Newplay debate here. Well, in my opinion Coldplay's early albums were deep and very earnest, they had to prove themselves in the world and they did so by creating meaningful, deep and artistic music.

When they became bigger-than-life after Viva, they could do anything they wanted and it would still end up in massive sales and fame. Chris became more and more influenced by modern pop music and the band shifted to pop. MX is probably better than a lot of mainstream pop nowadays but it still doesn't compare favorably to their early works. For me, the themes are treated in a very shallow way - its wannabe rebellious spirit seems like a shadow of the spirit in Viva, and its love and loss themes are but a shell of what has been in AROBTTH. Yes, it may be joyous and bright but so is Happy by Pharell Williams. What does that tell us ? What insight does it give us ? That we are oh-so-happy with our lives ? And oh, anything is possible, and let's all be so happy while we live in that colourful sugary Mylo-World. Teardrops ? Nah, for every teardrop is a wa-wa-wa-wa-waaaterfall. Yay !

Also, GS, which has a pretense of being very emotional and open, does not achieve this purpose and loses out in earnesty and profoundness to Parachutes and AROBTTH.

My own personal ranking:

1. AROBTTH and X&Y (can't decide)

2. Parachutes

3. Viva

4. MX

5. GS

Don't get me wrong, Mylo Xyloto is not a bad pop album. It is not a good Coldplay album.

they're from pitchfork. probably the most credible music site out there. also you're wrong

they're from pitchfork. probably the most credible music site out there. also you're wrong

Pitchfork isn't actually credible at all, they only gave a 5.1/10 to AROBTTH. That is just stupid, they're supposed to be good reviewers, not a bias opinion.

Also, only some of his comment is wrong. I don't think he gets the entire idea of MX: it isn't all happy. Just look deeper and you'll see what I'm talking about (although I'm pretty sure you know already:P)

Also, in my opinion he is wrong about MX not being a good Coldplay album.. it's actually quite poetic just like a lot of the other Coldplay albums therefore it's actually a very fantastic Coldplay album, and it's just applied to another genre of music that Coldplay put such a twist on that it wasn't even that genre any more. :P

But the rest of his comment is just opinion, and it's all not right nor is it wrong. Opinions can't be really right or wrong... if they're opinions. Which is what most of @I ran away's comment is. Just like my opinion. MX is my favorite album. So the rest of his statement isn't right or wrong. Get what I'm saying here? :)

I really like Pitchfork. But I doubt that they will rate well a Coldplay album since the critics there really like other type of music' date=' more indie and hipster. [b']They don't like pop.[/b]

In bold: That is completely incorrect. You see the music ratings that @aschall posted from Pitchfork?

They gave AROBTTH a 5.1.

They gave MX a 7.0.

If they didn't like pop, they would have gaven AROBTTH a higher rating. Even though MX isn't really all that poppy, it certainly is more poppy than AROBTTH.

My ranking: [emoji111]️

X&Y

Viva

AROBTTH

Parachutes

MX

GS

Everyone has different opinions and favorites.

I agree, and that's what makes this world interesting. That's what makes debates and all interesting. It's good to debate, this world wouldn't be interesting without it nor would this forum. And these debates come from disagreements between opinions. After all most of our Coldplay games wouldn't work if everyone thought the same way:P

I agree, and that's what makes this world interesting. That's what makes debates and all interesting. It's good to debate, this world wouldn't be interesting without it nor would this forum. And these debates come from disagreements between opinions. After all most of our Coldplay games wouldn't work if everyone thought the same way:P

That's true, if everyone liked the same things, it would be so boring.

I really like Pitchfork. But I doubt that they will rate well a Coldplay album since the critics there really like other type of music, more indie and hipster. They don't like pop.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32510[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32514[/ATTACH]

You're mostly right but they definitely don't shy away from giving high scores to pop albums.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]32510[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32511[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32512[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32513[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]32514[/ATTACH]

You're mostly right but they definitely don't shy away from giving high scores to pop albums.

^^^^^^That's the reason why Pitchfork Media is such a bad music rating thing... MX is better than all of those albums combined and then some

Pitchfork isn't actually credible at all, they only gave a 5.1/10 to AROBTTH. That is just stupid, they're supposed to be good reviewers, not a bias opinion.

Maybe AROBTTH isn't as good as everyone here thinks it is. And no, on the contrary, reviewers CAN have biased opinions. In fact, its inherent that they have bias. Thats what makes it stimulating to read.

Remember, we're in a coldplay fan forum. Of course, when you spend your time in an echo chamber where everyone is spewing praise for the same music, your perception of coldplay will be a little skewed.

AROBTTH is special to me and coldplay will always have a place in my heart. But I've listened to A LOT of music since i joined this forum and really tried to expand my horizons. Coming back to Coldplay... it does feel simple-- boring, even. But I don't care; sometimes it really works out in Coldplay's favor.

Coldplay is like comfort food.