✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[22-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX, USA

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got back. IT WAS AMAZING!!! I am kind of dead, I don't know how I going to make it tomorrow. Danced from start to finish and sung with all my soul. Great night from the boys overall. Same set-list than the European stadium shows. They did not do any encore but went from start to finish non-stop. The audience was GREAT! I really hope I did not bother the people around me (since I went crazy). This tour is unbelievable. The boys are beyond GREAT and the show leaves EVERYONE pleased. Met Hoppy and McGinn outside the venue. No sign of the boys. Asked the OXFAM chief of staff and she was very rude to me, saying that the boys would not be in the venue for ages. A bit sad.

I will try tomorrow again. Can't wait to hear the news from Texasluvsjonny. FOLKS, if you haven't yet seen them, do the impossible but DO NOT MISS this TOUR! It is going to be part of music history. Serious.

Oh no no I'm just pretending to be Tash for a couple of hours :)

Thanks for posting the twitter updates! :nice:

*stupid timezones*

IF I WAS GOING I WOULDN'T GIVE A SHIT WHAT WAS ON THE TICKET-YOU'RE ABOUT TO SEE THE BEST BAND IN THE WORLD.

Chill! No need to scream : )

It's just nice to have a nice looking ticket instead of a regular Ticketmaster one.

Setlist:

1 Mylo Xyloto

2 Hurts Like Heaven

3 In My Place

4 Major Minus

5 Lovers In Japan

6 The Scientist

7 Yellow

8 Violet Hill

9 God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

10 Princess Of China

11 Up In Flames

12 Warning Sign

13 Don't Let It Break Your Heart

14 Viva La Vida

15 Charlie Brown

16 Paradise

17 Us Against The World

18 Speed Of Sound

19 Clocks

20 Fix You

21 Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall

can someone tell me what do I have to do to meet the boys? They are much more accessible in Europe than in America!

They're usually willing to sign for people and stuff, it's just being where they are that's the difficult part.:)

Not much you can do.:\

Wow, no words for this show tonight... I'm speechless. I can't believe the RED rows ticket auction that I won ended up being front row on Guy's side, right next to the ramp. The boys were on point and seemed to have a great time. No setlist changes but still an incredible show. Highlight of the night was when Chris kneeled down in front of me, looked at me and asked if I was doing okay. I grinned from ear and ear and shook my head yea and then he smiled. I couldn't believe he actually talked to me lol it was so surreal. I hope everyone else had a great time too!!!

I got to the venue at around 5:15. Door were to open at 5:30, so had a little walk around. I saw Jackie giving some venue staff people instructions on keeping people away from the C-Stage gear. Tried to get her attention but failed.

Doors did open at 5:30 but we weren't allowed to go into where the seats were. We had to stay out on the concourse / hall part. Some one was soundchecking. Wolf Gang I believe. I went to the place I saw the C stage stuff. Def gonna be near me once inside. Finally at around 6 they let us in.

When I got to my seat I saw Jackie out in the middle of the venue. I asked the floor ushers to go get her. :lol: She came over and we talked about all kinds of stuff. We talked about Jen(Nettie). She wanted to know how I had met her. She asked how many shows I was going to. She said some guy went to all the Euro Festival dates and did I know him? I told him he was on Coldplaying, so I knew of him but hadn't met him. I told her I have two kinds of friends: Coldplay friends ( people I know from either shows or the forum) and football friends. Like English football? Yes English football. She wanted to know what teams I supported and I told her the story of Will being on my train to the Southampton game. She said Jonny supports Spurs and I said I know but I forgive him any way and she said 'Yeah really" LOL Don't think she cares much for the Spurs. :lol: Then she asked I have ever been to a meet and greet. I said no but I had meet the band many times. More back in the days when they traveled by bus. She said she was gonna try and get me into one. :D She went and got some paper and a pen and asked me to write down all the shows I'm going to and my phone number and email address. :awesome: then she left and I went back to my seat. After a short time she came back and called me down to the floor and asked if I wanted to go sit up front. Hells yes! :P She said is row 2 ok? ...like row 2 was some kinda crap seat. :laugh3: She told me seat 10. After I was there for a bit someone came and said they have seat 10. 10 was the section, seat was 16, which was the aisle seat. Good because I could move around more and that's where all the staff went in and out from the back stage area. :sneaky:

The front was filling up with people that started their night in the nose bleed sections and got up graded by crew members to the front. Most of the people in the first 3 rows were upgrades. I only saw 2 people with the VIP pass badges. They were on the front row so maybe they were also Red Ticket auction winners.

First person I see coming out from the back is Marta. She is one of the roadies. Roadie 42 has talked about her before. Any way, we were talking about the Euro festival dates and how the weather sucked ass for them. She asked if I remembered The Dancing Roadie. well of course I do, I saw him working for the Kings of Leon when Coldplay wasn't touring. :P She said THEY GOT MARRIED 3 months ago. awwwww Coldplay Roadie love. Yay, I beat Roadie 42 to the scoop. Coldplaying exclusive! :lol:

Trainer Dan kept walking past looking at me like where do I know you from. :thinking: So I said "what's up Trainer Dan". He stopped and asked how do I know who he is. :laugh3: I told him Mexico.....YES you were there doing that blog about the car and the little girl. Holy Crap, trainer dan remembered Ryan's Mini. :D. At least he didn't say...Yes you were that girl that drank those 3 brandy glasses of tequila that night in the bar. :uhoh: :lol: I asked if the boys were gonna play some footie in Houston. We have a new beautiful stadium right accross the road from the concert venue...hint hint. He said no, not unless it is air conditioned cuz it is too hot to play outside here. :angry: I told him to suck it up! He sounded like David Beckham who whinned about the Texas heat.

See this is why England doesn't ever win, lightweights. :P

After Robyn finished I turned around and guess who is standing like 6 feet behind me. Jonny's wife. She was there through the whole Coldplay show. She was close enough to see the display on my camera and the fact that I mostly only took pictures of Jonny. Stop spying on me woman! :angry:

:laugh3:

I think there was some problems before the show started. 1st night gremlins. Dan Green had to go up on the stage and help Matt fix something with Jonny's guitar sound. Dan never goes up on the stage. I think they were a little late starting the show because of it. Dan did stop and say Hi on his way back to the sound booth.

I thought the show was awesome. The Xylobands looked amazing! The show flowed well. There was Chrissy and Jonny love. :dazzled: The crowd sounded good.

My phone died when I tried to call Christa during Warning Sign. :bigcry:. I'm sorry. I will try again tomorrow night. :(

My seat is on the floor close to the X stage tomorrow night so I thing I'll get a better view of the show effects, can't really see the lasers up front.

Review: Coldplay overwhelms the senses in Dallas

Dallas Friday night, Coldplay began at the end.

More precisely, the convergence of a confetti deluge, enormous balloons, columns of smoke, blitz of lasers and thousands of vivid, blinking lights adorning the wrists (a LED-powered freebie known as a "xyloband") of a sold-out American Airlines Center felt like the climax of an epic performance, the culmination of two hours' worth of music and sensory overload.

Instead, Chris Martin and his Grammy-winning, multi-platinum bandmates were just on the second song of the night. They were only getting warmed up. (The band plays the final, likewise sold-out installment of its two-night stand Saturday.)

What was most apparent, aside from the fact that Coldplay now has a confetti budget to rival that of the Flaming Lips, was this veteran band is finally displaying a brashness only previously suggested. Martin and his collaborators have always been the aw-shucks sort of group, routinely selling out global, years-long tours, but laying on the self-deprecation thick in concert.

No more of that -- touring behind last year's dreadfully titled Mylo Xyloto, Coldplay brought an impressive confidence to the stage Friday, ripping through a 100-minute set and scarcely pausing for breath.

Mixing the new material with staples like In My Place and Yellow, while also taking care to put fresh spins on tracks like God Put a Smile Upon Your Face, Coldplay managed the rare feat of playing nearly all of its latest album while never letting momentum slip. Part of that is due to the ADD nature of the night -- the band had crammed screens or inflatable widgets in seemingly every corner of the AAC -- and much of it is because Martin continues to be one of rock music's most charismatic frontmen, bouncing around like a kid making his dreams reality.

The trade-off, of course, is that Coldplay's more tender, intimate moments are scrapped in favor of excess. When the band did stop down to play something less outsized, like The Scientist or Warning Sign, the intensity continued to smolder, rendering even the heartfelt in shades of swagger.

Not that Coldplay's embrace of its status as bona fide superstars is a bad thing -- I'll take exuberance over timidity any day in an arena show -- but in doing so, it's erasing part of what made the band stand out to begin with.

But then, a good 15 years has passed since Coldplay first formed, and they've evolved from shameless Radiohead recyclers into something more grand, more globally minded and more interesting. The over-the-top spectacle is earned, grounded in songs rich in feeling and melody. Perhaps the reverse engineering of its show is instructive: Coldplay might just be warming up.

Openers Wolf Gang and Robyn neatly bridged the headliner's past and present. London quintet Wolf Gang anchored the "past" end of things, full of brio for a baby band and delivering chiming songs underpinned with synthesizers and a dash of style swiped from the Killers. Indefatigable Swedish dynamo Robyn continues to make the rounds of American venues, doling out smart, highly danceable sets steeped in electronica and just enough quirk to keep arriving audience members from heading back out for another order of nachos and beer. It remains an utter mystery to me why Robyn has such difficulty breaking through in America, but her fantastic songs set the mood in style.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mVO6ERkCLw[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=176cQiLEEOg[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOCBZ7THYgw[/ame]

link

I got to the venue at around 5:15. Door were to open at 5:30, so had a little walk around. I saw Jackie giving some venue staff people instructions on keeping people away from the C-Stage gear. Tried to get her attention but failed.

Doors did open at 5:30 but we weren't allowed to go into where the seats were. We had to stay out on the concourse / hall part. Some one was soundchecking. Wolf Gang I believe. I went to the place I saw the C stage stuff. Def gonna be near me once inside. Finally at around 6 they let us in.

When I got to my seat I saw Jackie out in the middle of the venue. I asked the floor ushers to go get her. :lol: She came over and we talked about all kinds of stuff. We talked about Jen(Nettie). She wanted to know how I had met her. She asked how many shows I was going to. She said some guy went to all the Euro Festival dates and did I know him? I told him he was on Coldplaying, so I knew of him but hadn't met him. I told her I have two kinds of friends: Coldplay friends ( people I know from either shows or the forum) and football friends. Like English football? Yes English football. She wanted to know what teams I supported and I told her the story of Will being on my train to the Southampton game. She said Jonny supports Spurs and I said I know but I forgive him any way and she said 'Yeah really" LOL Don't think she cares much for the Spurs. :lol: Then she asked I have ever been to a meet and greet. I said no but I had meet the band many times. More back in the days when they traveled by bus. She said she was gonna try and get me into one. :D She went and got some paper and a pen and asked me to write down all the shows I'm going to and my phone number and email address. :awesome: then she left and I went back to my seat. After a short time she came back and called me down to the floor and asked if I wanted to go sit up front. Hells yes! :P She said is row 2 ok? ...like row 2 was some kinda crap seat. :laugh3: She told me seat 10. After I was there for a bit someone came and said they have seat 10. 10 was the section, seat was 16, which was the aisle seat. Good because I could move around more and that's where all the staff went in and out from the back stage area. :sneaky:

The front was filling up with people that started their night in the nose bleed sections and got up graded by crew members to the front. Most of the people in the first 3 rows were upgrades. I only saw 2 people with the VIP pass badges. They were on the front row so maybe they were also Red Ticket auction winners.

First person I see coming out from the back is Marta. She is one of the roadies. Roadie 42 has talked about her before. Any way, we were talking about the Euro festival dates and how the weather sucked ass for them. She asked if I remembered The Dancing Roadie. well of course I do, I saw him working for the Kings of Leon when Coldplay wasn't touring. :P She said THEY GOT MARRIED 3 months ago. awwwww Coldplay Roadie love. Yay, I beat Roadie 42 to the scoop. Coldplaying exclusive! :lol:

Trainer Dan kept walking past looking at me like where do I know you from. :thinking: So I said "what's up Trainer Dan". He stopped and asked how do I know who he is. :laugh3: I told him Mexico.....YES you were there doing that blog about the car and the little girl. Holy Crap, trainer dan remembered Ryan's Mini. :D. At least he didn't say...Yes you were that girl that drank those 3 brandy glasses of tequila that night in the bar. :uhoh: :lol: I asked if the boys were gonna play some footie in Houston. We have a new beautiful stadium right accross the road from the concert venue...hint hint. He said no, not unless it is air conditioned cuz it is too hot to play outside here. :angry: I told him to suck it up! He sounded like David Beckham who whinned about the Texas heat.

See this is why England doesn't ever win, lightweights. :P

After Robyn finished I turned around and guess who is standing like 6 feet behind me. Jonny's wife. She was there through the whole Coldplay show. She was close enough to see the display on my camera and the fact that I mostly only took pictures of Jonny. Stop spying on me woman! :angry:

:laugh3:

I think there was some problems before the show started. 1st night gremlins. Dan Green had to go up on the stage and help Matt fix something with Jonny's guitar sound. Dan never goes up on the stage. I think they were a little late starting the show because of it. Dan did stop and say Hi on his way back to the sound booth.

I thought the show was awesome. The Xylobands looked amazing! The show flowed well. There was Chrissy and Jonny love. :dazzled: The crowd sounded good.

My phone died when I tried to call Christa during Warning Sign. :bigcry:. I'm sorry. I will try again tomorrow night. :(

My seat is on the floor close to the X stage tomorrow night so I thing I'll get a better view of the show effects, can't really see the lasers up front.

Thanks for the great review. I'll be sitting in the front of the X stage for the first show in Houston, so I hope you do a review tomorrow also, so I'll know what to expect :)

We Were There: Coldplay brought us Christmas in June during colorful, exhilarating concert at American Airlines Center

It looked like Christmas in June. A sea dotted by multicolored lights. Showers of fluorescent lasers. A spherical screen of swirling rainbow shades. A deluge of pastel-hued confetti.

The Coldplay show Friday night at American Airlines Center was one of the most colorful and exhilarating concert performances I’ve ever seen. Chris Martin, Will Champion, Jonny Buckland and Guy Berryman delivered nearly two hours of passionate and accessible arty rock that teetered between ethereal and explosive.

The gig, the first of a two-night stand at the venue, was nearly sold-out and electric. The moment the lights went down, after opening stints by Wolf Gang and Robyn, the atmosphere lit up. And we were all part of the wattage.

We all donned the wristbands handed to us at the front doors. They looked like toy watches, except that the bands illuminated fiber optic-style. Add to that perfectly rounded balloons that resembled beach balls decorated in patches of paint reminiscent of the Mylo Xyloto album artwork.

The abstract canvas effect blended beautifully with the music. Coldplay’s songs leave emotional impressions, particularly “Clocks,” “Hurts Like Heaven,” “In My Place” and “Paradise,” all of which were highlights of the show. There is a sweeping quality that enthralls and engulfs. It can be penetrating, cathartic even.

Martin and drummer Champion deserve special mention. Champion’s drum work was beautifully muscular, especially for “God Put a Smile On Your Face,” “Viva La Vida” (featuring timpani drums) and “Yellow.” Martin was a dynamic frontman – unbridled energy, prowess on the piano and the acoustic guitar, and genuine appreciation of the fans.

That’s a deep connection. In front of me stood a young man who I would guess was no older than 16. He religiously sang the lyrics to every song as if the music was nourishing his soul. He sometimes looked oblivious to the show’s colorful overtures. All he needed was the music.

link

photos

NG_22COLDPLAY03_25735773.jpg

Chris Martin bathed in confetti during the exhilarating Coldplay concert at AAC

NG_22COLDPLAY06_25735777.jpg

Martin's passionate performance highlighted the nearly two-hour set.

NG_22COLDPLAY01_25735779.jpg

The beauty of the Coldplay concert - both visually and musically.