✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[22-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX, USA

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got to the venue at around 5:15. Door were to open at 5:30, so had a little walk around. I saw Jackie giving some venue staff people instructions on keeping people away from the C-Stage gear. Tried to get her attention but failed.

Doors did open at 5:30 but we weren't allowed to go into where the seats were. We had to stay out on the concourse / hall part. Some one was soundchecking. Wolf Gang I believe. I went to the place I saw the C stage stuff. Def gonna be near me once inside. Finally at around 6 they let us in.

When I got to my seat I saw Jackie out in the middle of the venue. I asked the floor ushers to go get her. :lol: She came over and we talked about all kinds of stuff. We talked about Jen(Nettie). She wanted to know how I had met her. She asked how many shows I was going to. She said some guy went to all the Euro Festival dates and did I know him? I told him he was on Coldplaying, so I knew of him but hadn't met him. I told her I have two kinds of friends: Coldplay friends ( people I know from either shows or the forum) and football friends. Like English football? Yes English football. She wanted to know what teams I supported and I told her the story of Will being on my train to the Southampton game. She said Jonny supports Spurs and I said I know but I forgive him any way and she said 'Yeah really" LOL Don't think she cares much for the Spurs. :lol: Then she asked I have ever been to a meet and greet. I said no but I had meet the band many times. More back in the days when they traveled by bus. She said she was gonna try and get me into one. :D She went and got some paper and a pen and asked me to write down all the shows I'm going to and my phone number and email address. :awesome: then she left and I went back to my seat. After a short time she came back and called me down to the floor and asked if I wanted to go sit up front. Hells yes! :P She said is row 2 ok? ...like row 2 was some kinda crap seat. :laugh3: She told me seat 10. After I was there for a bit someone came and said they have seat 10. 10 was the section, seat was 16, which was the aisle seat. Good because I could move around more and that's where all the staff went in and out from the back stage area. :sneaky:

The front was filling up with people that started their night in the nose bleed sections and got up graded by crew members to the front. Most of the people in the first 3 rows were upgrades. I only saw 2 people with the VIP pass badges. They were on the front row so maybe they were also Red Ticket auction winners.

First person I see coming out from the back is Marta. She is one of the roadies. Roadie 42 has talked about her before. Any way, we were talking about the Euro festival dates and how the weather sucked ass for them. She asked if I remembered The Dancing Roadie. well of course I do, I saw him working for the Kings of Leon when Coldplay wasn't touring. :P She said THEY GOT MARRIED 3 months ago. awwwww Coldplay Roadie love. Yay, I beat Roadie 42 to the scoop. Coldplaying exclusive! :lol:

Trainer Dan kept walking past looking at me like where do I know you from. :thinking: So I said "what's up Trainer Dan". He stopped and asked how do I know who he is. :laugh3: I told him Mexico.....YES you were there doing that blog about the car and the little girl. Holy Crap, trainer dan remembered Ryan's Mini. :D. At least he didn't say...Yes you were that girl that drank those 3 brandy glasses of tequila that night in the bar. :uhoh: :lol: I asked if the boys were gonna play some footie in Houston. We have a new beautiful stadium right accross the road from the concert venue...hint hint. He said no, not unless it is air conditioned cuz it is too hot to play outside here. :angry: I told him to suck it up! He sounded like David Beckham who whinned about the Texas heat.

See this is why England doesn't ever win, lightweights. :P

After Robyn finished I turned around and guess who is standing like 6 feet behind me. Jonny's wife. She was there through the whole Coldplay show. She was close enough to see the display on my camera and the fact that I mostly only took pictures of Jonny. Stop spying on me woman! :angry:

:laugh3:

I think there was some problems before the show started. 1st night gremlins. Dan Green had to go up on the stage and help Matt fix something with Jonny's guitar sound. Dan never goes up on the stage. I think they were a little late starting the show because of it. Dan did stop and say Hi on his way back to the sound booth.

I thought the show was awesome. The Xylobands looked amazing! The show flowed well. There was Chrissy and Jonny love. :dazzled: The crowd sounded good.

My phone died when I tried to call Christa during Warning Sign. :bigcry:. I'm sorry. I will try again tomorrow night. :(

My seat is on the floor close to the X stage tomorrow night so I thing I'll get a better view of the show effects, can't really see the lasers up front.

Nice! :D

Sounds like Jackie has calmed down a bit and is being much nicer now! Congrats on the upgrade and rightfully ignoring Chloe for your Jonny-love! :thumbsup:

David Feherty ‏@Fehertwit

Coldplay just ignited the AA Center in Dallas. They were beyond brilliant, it was beyond beautiful, and they are better live than recorded.

David happens to be my favorite Golf announcer (reporter). I'm so pleased is into Coldplay as well.

David Feherty ‏@Fehertwit

Coldplay just ignited the AA Center in Dallas. They were beyond brilliant, it was beyond beautiful, and they are better live than recorded.

David happens to be my favorite Golf announcer (reporter). I'm so pleased is into Coldplay as well.

He's such a funny guy and he makes things interesting, definitely my favorite too and awesome to see that he likes Coldplay too!

Had a great time! Excellent concert, even though it was my 5th time seeing them (and 3rd in the MX era)

@shanew21 hey! I think I was sitting a row or two behind you. Sec 118, Row T, Seat 15

best. concert. ever. Was easily better than any other concert I've been to since my first concert in '85. The bar has been set very high for my daughter, as this was her first concert ever (just turned 12 last month). Son (13) said it was even better than U2 last summer at the Meadowlands.

-Joe

kpLbZ.jpg

Photos and concert review: Coldplay at American Airlines Center in Dallas (June 22)

It was a magical evening at the American Airlines Center on Friday night as fans filled the sold-out arena for the first night of Coldplay’s two day stay in Dallas. Attendees were handed different colored Day-Glo wristbands as they walked into the venue without an explanation. It wasn’t until Coldplay took the stage later in the evening that the bracelets revealed their purpose.

Wolf Gang, a London britpop band influenced by Coldplay, tried their hand at warming up the crowd as they trickled in. The band’s sound was clear and concise, leaving many impressed with what they had heard, but it was Swedish electro europop sensation Robyn that got people out of their chairs.

The pint-sized pixie is not as well known in America as she is in Europe, but she put on quite the show. She danced all over the stage to her electric beats, performing tracks like “Dancing On My Own” and “Call Your Girlfriend” from her Body Talk album series.

When it came time for Coldplay to take the stage, the air was electric with anticipation. The British band is known for its crowd interaction and props, so it was fitting when the arena went dark that each wristband lit up and blinked along while John Williams’ theme from Back to the Future played. Fans went wild and screamed to a deafening pitch when lead singer Chris Martin struck the first notes of the night. A rainbow sea of lights illuminated the arena with their twinkle glow – a magical sight to behold.

Coldplay wasted no time in kicking the celebration up a notch as the air filled with an overflow of confetti during the second tune of the night “In My Place” – which could have been reserved for the encore. During another tune, giant balloons fell from the rafters and bounced around the arena. The stage, the lights, and Martin’s clothes kept with the neon splatter paint graffiti theme of the band’s newest release Mylo Xyloto.

Coldplay went through most of the hits in their musical catalog from their first album, Parachutes, to their most recent record. “The Scientist,” “Yellow,” “God Put A Smile Upon Your Face,” “Viva la Vida,” and “Paradise” were some of their biggest performed in Dallas on Friday. The band reserved the bigger hits for the encore.

As usual, the band made its way to the back of the arena a play a few acoustic tunes in the audience during the encore. Performing “Us Against The World,” each member appeared in the audience one by one, adding beautiful harmonies to the song. Fans surrounding the band loved it, many grabbing their phones to take photos or record the special moment. After Coldplay performed “Speed of Sound,” they made their way back to the stage where they closed the evening to a sea of blinking wristband lights with “Clocks” and “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall.”

The bouncing balloons, confetti, and singing in the audience were expected, but the twinkling wrist bands really tipped the experience over the edge. We can’t wait to see what they do with their next album and tour.

link

Photos

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_01.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_05.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_08.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_09.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_10.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_12.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_13.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_15.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_16.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_17.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_19.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_20.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_21.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_24.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_25.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

AAC_-_Coldplay_062212_-_26.jpg.728x520_q85.jpg

It's not very clear, but to me the shape/layout looks like it's a gap due to the setup of the aisles/floor areas. There doesn't appear to be seating in the empty part, and it's highly unusual that unsold seats would be so perfectly clustered together.

EDIT: I'm confused now, because other photos don't seem to show a gap in that area at all.

If you look closely, yes those are empty seats...but only for that moment. The people that were in those seats are all crowded at the rail. If everyone would be sitting down, there would be an aisle space between the seats and the rail...it's just that people ran over to be close to Chris. Trust me...the place was full...there were no gaps or people missing.

Excellent performance tonight !! The guys were as energetic and entertaining as always. Also, we got to hang with the lovely Allegra from the forum! What a great night!

It was nice meeting you too!!!

Great pics by the way ;)

Coldplay’s Mylo Xyloto Tour Hits Dallas

I am a Coldplay virgin. Not in the sense that I don’t know their music, but I have never been to a live show of theirs. I have been very curious about their live shows since seeing the videos for “Fix You” and “Lost.” To say that lead singer, Chris Martin, has some energy is an understatement. When the two shows playing at the American Airlines Center (AAC) in Dallas, Texas were first announced, I thought it would be a good time to go and see Coldplay put on a show. I have not seen a large audience arena concert in a long time. I believe the last one I saw was No Doubt and Paramore at Starlight Theatre in Kansas City, and that place is much smaller than the AAC.

I held off on getting tickets to the June 22, 2012 Coldplay Mylo Xyloto tour until a couple weeks beforehand. I was only interested in getting the cheap seats. Prompted by Ticketmaster, I was warned that the tickets were behind the stage and may have an obstructed view. Doing some research, I found out that the stage setup did not have a back to it, so seeing the band should not be a problem. I ended up going with a friend and we got tickets behind the stage, but slightly to the right side of the stage. At about $45 a ticket, they were not bad seats. We just got to see the back of them, instead of the front. I think we got better tickets (and cheaper ones) than those who sat at the top of the arena and got to see the front of the band.

Upon entering the AAC, you are asked to pick up a wristband. You are told that these will be used as part of the show. Who knew then what an amazing vision these wristbands would create?

As the instruments and stage were in their final preparations for Coldplay to begin, a song came on. It was none other than “99 Problems” by Jay-Z. Mind you, Coldplay I like to think of as an all ages band, something that those who are higher up in digits and those still in elementary school could probably enjoy. The Jay-Z song was not an edited version, so sorry kids and grandma! The large screens in the AAC, four up high and one above the stage, told us to put our wristbands on if we had not already done so.

The stage was comprised of a runway leading out from the main stage area and ending in a large “X.” Behind the stage was a semi-circle ramp. On both sides of the stage was a square platform. The theme for tour is obviously graffiti. It is everywhere, on the instruments, on the stage, and the colors are bright and fluorescent like you are having an 80s flashback.

The arena went black and some Star Wars theme music started to play. Once the band was on the stage and ready to play the full effect of those wristbands became amazingly apparent as they all lit up and blinked in unison. The opening songs were, appropriately, “Mylo Xyloto” and “Hurts Like Heaven.” Not having read about the current tour or what theatrics Coldplay was employing, I did not know that those wristbands were only the start.

The second song was “My Place,” and during the chorus, Chris Martin ran out onto the runway and while doing so, huge cannons of confetti shot out over the crowd in the lower section. The confetti also covered the end section of the runway. The confetti cannons went off at least twice during the song.

During another song, large, fluorescent, paint splattered balls were dropped from the ceiling onto the crowd to bounce about, reminiscent of those outdoor concert and the travelling beach balls above the crowd. There was another song where some inflatable objects were placed at the entrances of some of the 200 and 300 sections of the arena. I did not really get why these were used, since they seemed small for such a large arena. They did not register much of an effect on me, and I was wondering if some of the audience even noticed they were there.

The band performed a couple of songs on the large “X” at the end of the runway. This was the only drawback to the behind the stage seats. A large stack of hanging speakers blocked half of the view of their performance. One of the songs sung out there was “Princess of China.” Rihanna did not make a surprise appearance, but Rihanna singing her part of the song was on the screens. Chris Martin messed up part of another song out on the runway and was quick to stop and say “I f***ed up. I f***ed up.” with a smile and start over.

While they do sell seats behind the stage, those fans back there are not neglected. The band members used the ramp at the back of the stage to give us a little piece of their “front-facing” performance. Chris Martin used the ramp several times and the side platforms. Those in the very back of the arena got a little treat. At the beginning of the encore, Coldplay played two songs in the back corner of the arena.

The one song I was desperate to see live was “Fix You” and it was the second to last song played. While I wanted the fireworks and the single, floating light bulb that is in the video, Chris Martin made up for this with his energy at the point in the song where it picks up in pace.

If you read any part of my narrative on last night, it should be that Coldplay has earned every single fan they have based on what an amazing performance they gave the crowd in Dallas. The energy of the band, and especially Chris Martin, was astounding. Even if there were no wristbands, confetti, or balls to bounce around, it still would have been a top notch concert. Chris Martin said early on in the evening that the band was going to have an amazing time, even if we did not. Energy does transmit to an audience, and that was widely apparent on Friday night in Dallas.

So go get some of those cheap seats and be prepared to be blown away by a little band called Coldplay.

link

okay so it's not a review of the concert, but I love the pic on this blog :D

http://helenofwichita.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/coldplay-confetti.html

June23_12.jpg

Mommy went all the way to Dallas to see the most rockin' band in the world and all she brought back for me was little pieces of paper instead of a ($45!) concert t-shirt?

(June 23, 2012)

Kid get ready to be bombarded with confetti requests. :lol:

Forgot to add in my Trainer Dan report he asked if I was happy that the puppets were gone. I told him in Mexico that we didn't want puppet pics, we want band pics. :snobby: It was his "job" to go out and take the puppet pics in each city. Well I guess he was hurt that I didn't love them and remembered I told him to stop. Get over it mate, those puppets were creepy.

@shanew21 hey! I think I was sitting a row or two behind you. Sec 118, Row T, Seat 15

best. concert. ever. Was easily better than any other concert I've been to since my first concert in '85. The bar has been set very high for my daughter, as this was her first concert ever (just turned 12 last month). Son (13) said it was even better than U2 last summer at the Meadowlands.

-Joe

Yeah! We were 118 Row R, so 2 rows behind us. That's too funny!

I've seen U2 as well, and Coldplay destroys them.

Yeah! We were 118 Row R, so 2 rows behind us. That's too funny!

I think I remembered you because you had the concert Ts on. My son and I had our U2 shirts on, and I noticed we stuck out because no one else was wearing concert Ts! I guess I missed the memo that said you are supposed to dress up for concerts... or maybe that is only a Dallas thing!

-Joe

Coldplay Dallas 6/22/12 video

Hey guys---I was at the concert Friday night. Best ever! Could anyone give me suggestions as to obtaining a video of the entire event so I can relive the experience? All I'm finding are five minute clips on YouTube. Would like the whole thing from the Back to the Future intro to the end. Suggestions would be helpful! :)

Craig from Texas

I think I remembered you because you had the concert Ts on. My son and I had our U2 shirts on, and I noticed we stuck out because no one else was wearing concert Ts! I guess I missed the memo that said you are supposed to dress up for concerts... or maybe that is only a Dallas thing!

-Joe

Well I bought both of ours there. Generally I like to get a shirt from every concert (unless it's the same tour twice like I did with Viva). She says hers is her new favorite shirt, and for $40, it better be! :laugh3:

Hey guys---I was at the concert Friday night. Best ever! Could anyone give me suggestions as to obtaining a video of the entire event so I can relive the experience? All I'm finding are five minute clips on YouTube. Would like the whole thing from the Back to the Future intro to the end. Suggestions would be helpful! :)

Craig from Texas

I highly doubt it. The best chance of reliving the experience is probably going to be the DVD/Blu-Ray they put out later (hence the #coldplayfilm on the xylobands)

-Joe

I was wearing my U2 shirt too! You can see me on page 31.

And some people in Dallas are just snobs. I was born and raised here so I'm allowed to say that. They always show up fashionably late and wear clothing like they are going clubing to pick up guys/girls. It's always been that way. I don't get it either. Plus too, most of the folks on the lower level are season ticket holders to Mavs/Stars games...so in fact most of them are rich snobs that don't know a single word to their songs. It's all about going to the show to say that you were there. Going to a concert at the AAC is all about status. The folks up in the rafters were more normal and were mostly made up of real fans. Now if the show had been at Starplex (outdoor pavilion)...most of the people that go there are more normal...basically wouldn't find the rich snobs there because they'll get all sweaty and stinky.

And U2 will always be #1 in my heart, but Coldplay did beat them visually.