Jenjie

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coldplay dazzle a sold-out Garden

A review of Coldplay at TD Garden on Sunday July 30, 2012

Kevin McSheffrey, Managing Editor

The line “with great power comes great responsibility” may be overused, but it’s apparent when it comes to Coldplay. The English foursome is without a doubt one of the biggest bands in the world, which means they’re a major draw for fans, but also for criticism. Their latest album, Mylo Xyloto, which they’ve been touring in support of since last year, only received mixed reviews. However, at their stop at Boston’s TD Garden on Sunday night they left no doubt that they deserve to be amongst the biggest acts in the world with a grand performance before a sold-out crowd.

Energy and creativity fuel Coldplay’s current show. The energy started with frontman Chris Martin, who performed like a man who’s been trapped behind a piano for years, dying to get out. The singer explored every bit of the band’s extensive stage and catwalk, by running, jumping, rolling, and dancing his way through show. The creativity came in the form of the ingenious idea to make fans part of the visual dynamic of the show by issuing every attendee a colored wristband that lit up in unison at certain points of the performance. The result was a dazzling display that charged songs like “Hurts Like Heaven”, “Paradise”, and “Charlie Brown”. Their set was heavy on new material, such as the aforementioned trio, all of which both looked and sounded like they were built for arenas thanks to the stunningly colorful imagery and big, sing-along choruses.

They’ve certainly added some new tricks, but Coldplay also stayed true to their old ways with confetti cannons, huge balloons, and several stages, as they relocated to the end of the catwalk to take the tempo down a bit. Included was the ballad “Warning Sign”, which Martin amusingly screwed up then jokingly claimed that thoughts of the Olympics had distracted him. The band also relocated, one by one, to a side stage in the loge section of the Garden for one of the few X & Y tunes in “Speed of Sound”, before returning to the main stage for the encore.

The night ended in spectacular fashion as a laser show accompanied the usual piano bench-rocking of “Clocks” before Martin seemed to give everything he had left to his leaps in “Fix You”, only to go at it once more as he ran about the entire stage for closer “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall”.

Coldplay have had the power of one of music’s biggest acts for years and with this show so well-catered to an arena audience, they’ve shown that they’ve not only accepted, but are enjoying the responsibility.

Rising star Marina and the Diamonds opened the show with a charming set that drew many fans in early with bouncy synthpop numbers like “I Am Not a Robot” and “Primadonna” serving as warm-ups before finally getting fans out of their seats with “Radioactive”.

Setlist

Mylo Xyloto

Hurts Like Heaven

In My Place

Major Minus

Lovers In Japan

The Scientist

Yellow

Violet Hill

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face

Princess of China

Up in Flames

Warning Sign

A Hopeful Transmission

Don’t Let It Break Your Heart

Viva La Vida

Charlie Brown

Paradise

Us Against the World

Speed Of Sound

Encore

Clocks

Fix You

Every Teardrop is a Waterfall

Published On: July 31, 2012

Source[/url]

Gallery: Coldplay at the TD Garden

By Lena Mirisola

British alt-rock stars Coldplay arrived in Boston last night with a bang, playing the first of their back-to-back sold out shows at the TD Garden. Touring on their latest album, Mylo Xyloto, the band started the night off with newer tracks before delving into classics like “In My Place”, “The Scientist”, and “Clocks”.

More than the music, Coldplay stunned the audience with a spectacle. Confetti shaped like butterflies, hearts, birds, and crowns blasted into the air as the set began and continued to permeate the arena through the night. Before the show, each audience member was given a free wristband, which lit up and flashed in time with the music. Beach balls, confetti, and an incredible light show all combined to create an unforgettable evening.

Check out some shots from the show (including opener Marina and the Diamonds) below:

Coldplay-2.jpg

Coldplay-3.jpg

Coldplay-4.jpg

Coldplay-5.jpg

Coldplay-6.jpg

Coldplay-7.jpg

Coldplay-8.jpg

Marina-The-Diamonds-2.jpg

Marina-The-Diamonds.jpg

These are SO BEAUTIFUL shots :shocked2: Thank you so much for posting !! I wish I could take such amazing pictures but for now here are some of mine.

P1170128-BorderMaker.jpg

P1170145-BorderMaker.jpg

P1170146-BorderMaker.jpg

P1170153copy-BorderMaker.jpg

P1170172copy-BorderMaker.jpg

P1170204-BorderMaker.jpg

P1170284copy-BorderMaker.jpg

P1170326-BorderMaker.jpg

The rest can be found here: http://s1144.photobucket.com/albums/o497/HypermusicAlive/

I was at both gigs and if you are interested I wrote a review on my blog with many pictures and vides. You can read it here: http://hypermusic-aliveen.blogspot.com/2012/08/coldplay-boston-td-garden-29.html

Great show at the garden and a great Boston vacation;

we got to see Liverpool play, and then train with lots of autographs. Saw Coldplay from front row and then caught the Red Sox in action.

Check out my story for the show here:

http://coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5377176&posted=1#post5377176

and here is the balloon my son got:

IMG_0694.JPG

cheers

wembley

Great show at the garden and a great Boston vacation;

we got to see Liverpool play, and then train with lots of autographs. Saw Coldplay from front row and then caught the Red Sox in action.

Check out my story for the show here:

http://coldplaying.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5377176&posted=1#post5377176

and here is the balloon my son got:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-r8G-l7pA5Z8/UBtKlXOHaAI/AAAAAAAALh8/KNeTZC1wk78/s640/IMG_0694.JPG

cheers

wembley

That's a great unexpected end to your vacation.

• 5 months later...

Coldplay Live In Boston 2012 (Full Concert DVD)

Hello everybody, I just wanted to share this video I made a while back, but am just getting around to uploading and posting. This is the complete concert made up of footage from the two Boston shows, July 29 and July 30. There are over 20 view points of the show. This is compiled with over 50 different videos from which I found on YouTube. This is great for anybody who went to those specific concerts, or for anyone else for that matter. I really wanted to put my editing skills to the test. Some of the audio and video is off and I am not sure why, because it was synced up when I was editing it, but overall it's not too bad. Anyway I would appreciate your feedback! Thank you! :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7dpI9zVe1Q]Coldplay Live In Boston 2012 (Full Concert DVD) - YouTube[/ame]