✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[7-Aug-2012] Coldplay @ United Center, Chicago, IL, USA

Jenjie

Got to see Mike, Kelly and Lori. We all went in together but Lori had seats on the side across from us. :(

Chris was really fired up from the start. We saw his kids come out to see the confetti and balloons. :wacky: And then it happened. AMSTERDAM! Just a small bit but the seed is growing. I think they'll really add it back on the next tour...when ever that is. :awesome:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-UCuBN4yyA]Amsterdam - YouTube[/ame]

I'll post my In My Place when it up loads. Hotel connection kinda slow.

Also shot some funny video of drunk guys in seating behind stage doing "interpretative dance" during one of the songs. :laugh3:

Little old lady on the row behind us, must have been late 60's or early 70's was fist pumping during Viva and made her way over to catch a better view of Chris as he ran back to the stage from the C stage. Gotta love a Coldplay show.

We went and hung out at the secure exit to see if they would stop but I think they were having a party tonight so no one stopped. Ms. Jackie came out and told me everyone was gone. :\

Tomorrow night is my last night on the tour, so I plan on living it up. Probably wont shoot any pics or video, so enjoy these.

IMG_3518.jpg

IMG_3519.jpg

IMG_3527.jpg

IMG_3531.jpg

IMG_3532.jpg

IMG_3537.jpg

IMG_3538.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3546.jpg

IMG_3554.jpg

IMG_3557.jpg

IMG_3558.jpg

IMG_3559.jpg

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry ahead of time for the length :P (This was written about 4 hours after it all happened) Enjoy : )

Coldplay review 8-7-12

I’ve been waiting for these days to arrive since October of 2011 when the tickets came out on general sale; I still remember running back and forth from one to another to get floor seats, but to no avail. After the behind-the-stage tickets were released, I tried as quickly as I could to grab them, even if it meant going solo. I was able to grab tickets at club level, and upon getting to the venue and standing where my seats were, there was a sigh of relief in my mind that I wasn’t so far away than I thought.

I spent most of the pre-show time trying to catch some Coldplayers, OxFam-ers, roadies, for pictures, talks, and maybe even a possible upgrade. Jumping around, exploring most levels of the arena, it was difficult to find a roadie. At around 6:50 PM, I found some Coldplayers at the OxFam station and took some sick pictures with lots of food :P. After talking a bit and sharing info, one of the volunteers told me that the roadies were mostly backstage at that point, and in reality, I gave up hope on the upgrades. Before settling down, I grabbed an overpriced hotdog and bought $110 worth of merch consisting of a hoodie ($50), shirt ($40), and program ($20); it didn’t matter to me what price each thing was, as long as it’s Coldplay, I’ll even donate a kidney (does that count OxFam? lol).

At 7 PM sharp, I was already at my seat in anticipation, when Charli XCX came out with her mini-band, performing 5-7 songs that I gladly appreciated, and oddly reminiscent of Gwen Stefani fused with David Guetta; very electro-euro-pop. Shortly after Charli XCX’s set, Marina & the Diamonds came on, her band wearing prom-like attire, and her walking onstage in a ghostly manner, wearing a white puffy dress like a mix of a princess and ghost. Marina…’s set lasted a while longer than Charli…’s, and she didn’t fail to impress, shouting (screaming) her gratitude to Coldplay for taking her with them, with the help of the audience.

After her set the lights went back on, and the place already the smell of frothy beer masking the arena, and another waiting period ensued… After about 10-15 minutes, Jay-Z’s “99 Problems” acted as a “warning sign” to the audience signifying the band’s upcoming performance. The Back To The Future theme played and all “Heaven” broke loose in the arena (no pun intended) as Mylo Xyloto/Hurts Like Heaven started roaring from the booming United Center quality speakers. Personally, I lost all my inhibitions and went ape-shit-excited, and even cried a bit from the beauty of the song and the beauty of the Xyloband light show! The next few songs, I acted the same way: photographing, recording, laughing, crying, singing, “whoo-ing”, screaming, etc. Even in the slow tempo songs I connected with, the only way I can describe my movements throughout the show is “wild” “insane” and “Woodstock-like”. I wasn’t ashamed of being the only true Coldplayer in my section (knowing every lyric, knowing every “call-back moment”, dancing like I took lessons from Chris), and it only made the night 200% more fun. A highlight of the set was when Chris noticed three girls on the floor holding up small signs saying “AMS” “TER” “DAM”, which prompted him to take a risk and play as much of the unplanned song, only stopping before finishing the first verse then apologizing to the crowd for the rustiness of the song, and then promising to play it the next time they come around (a major upside, they’re coming back again!). The band resumed their set, seeming unfazed even through the countless nights they’ve spend performing lately, and after many lightshows and songs, spontaneous Chicago refs, their main set concluded with the always pleasing, “Paradise”.

They disappeared for a few minutes, only to turn up in Section 104-105 (which I’m now excited to sit there tomorrow [8th] for my second show) for their encore C-Stage portion. After their phenomenal entrance and performance on the mini-stage, they once again disappear back to the main stage to finish their last 3 customary encore songs: “Clocks”, “Fix You”, and “Every Teardrop Is A Waterfall”. I’ll admit I was bawling when “Fix You” came on and kept going until the end of “ETIAW” (that song just moves me... it’s unexplainable), and the night was pretty much over at that point… After 2 hours I had back pain, hunger, leg pain, and shot voice just because of Coldplay… those are clear symptoms that you’ve enjoyed their presence, music, and charisma in an abstract artistic way.

Wandering the arena after the show, I tried to look for Gate 1 in order to get a glimpse at the departing band members, and maybe even get luckier? I wasn’t able to find it, because I found out it was the “back door” of the United Center, and started wandering the street around the venue. Not sure where I was going, I was fortunate enough to stumble upon some other Coldplayers (most on this site) that were hoping to see/meet/etc. some of the band, and feeling adventurous, I joined the cause. We waited about an hour, until some of us started to leave because of time, tiredness, and fading hope. Waiting there at the gate entrance got us a “meeting” with Jason Regler (the inventor of the Xyloband) and a tall-friendly face (possibly a roadie?) that offered us a glimmer of hope, and cookies. I played along with the offer and our remaining group got to eat some homemade Coldplayerific chocolate chip cookies. I regret rudely snapping a flash photo in the tall man’s face after showing us unnecessary hospitality. Our group slowly shrank as the minutes went on, and I finally got a cab back to the train station on my way home. The whole night was a life changing experience and God really did Put A Smile Upon my Face, and all over me actually.

All I can think about now is, “I can’t fucking wait for tomorrow!!!” Excuse my French : )

80chigg.jpg

Panorama: United Center, Chicago

8 August 2012 1:54 pm

Check out our hi-res crowd shot from last night's show

news_line.png

Here's Roadie #42's pre-show crowd shot from last night in Chicago. Click the image to see/download the full hi-res version. And please do add your own photos from the show to our Live Archive.

20120807Chicago1Crowd_Small.jpg

Click here for lots more summer 2012 crowd panoramas.

Anchorman