✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Hunger Games/Catching Fire (spoilers included)

StarsKay

I stumbled upon this trilogy quite by accident. I saw the trailer for the film a couple months before I considered reading the books and well-before I found myself up late at night, refusing to put the books down. It is great, to say the least. But to say little is never my style, especially about something I like.

Back to the series. It is fantastic, gruesome, adventurous, and the author, Suzanne Collins, has the reader hanging on till the very last sentence of the trilogy. I thoroughly enjoyed this fascinating and original story, and I have a feeling most others will, though this is based on nothing much other than the fact I was completely enthralled with this tale; a rare occurrence.

I'm sure by around April there will be an exponential amount of buzz surrounding THG and topics such as 'Mockingjay', 'The Capitol', 'District 12' and 'Tributes'. The main character by which the story is told, Katniss Everdeen, is sure to draw much discussions comparing her to the likes of Bella from Twilight despite there being no comparison. Make no mistake, I am not knocking other series to put this one up, I'm just trying to emphasis this is completely different and thus, difficult to relate to something already out there. So to sum this all up: read the books and get ready for the start of something big, at least for a few years to come.

If you enjoyed HP then this is right up your ally. It is violent but not too violent. It contains the classic love triangle story, but is shallow enough for a child to read. Keep in mind this is a young adult trilogy so areas of violence and love only go so far. But that does not matter much as it is the background story to the real show which is the Games itself. The founding concept of survival at the expense of others is incredible. I was resisting putting 'survival of the fittest' as you'll soon realise, at least in the books - another reason to read it! - that there are many other factors leading to survival. I'm deliberately being vague because I got the most out of the series knowing completely nothing about it, so perhaps you'll find it is best too.

You must read this book and you must do so before the films are released early 2012. This last bit is just a personal preference: book first, movie later, as the alternative (for me once again) is: movie first, book... maybe. Furthermore, greater detail and deeper complexity lies in the books than can ever be captured on film and I feel one would be missing out if they disregarded the books once the movies come out, feeling as though they've gotten the whole story. Mistake.

The+Hunger+Games+Series.JPG

If there exists a Hunger Games thread, may the moderators please feel obliged to add this to the mix.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you enjoyed HP then this is right up your ally. It is violent but not too violent. It contains the classic love triangle story, but is shallow enough for a child to read. Keep in mind this is a young adult trilogy so areas of violence and love only go so far. But that does not matter much as it is the background story to the real show which is the Games itself. The founding concept of survival at the expense of others is incredible. I was resisting putting 'survival of the fittest' as you'll soon realise, at least in the books - another reason to read it! - that there are many other factors leading to survival.

Every generic fantasy book aimed at teens ever

• 4 weeks later...

Haha, so there's apparently a bunch of (racist) people who were both surprised and annoyed that rue *drumroll* was black (something I thought was glaringly obvious in the book). So much so that, apparently her race made her character's death "less sad".

Here's a tumblr devoted to a surprising amount of said twitter posts.

http://hungergamestweets.tumblr.com/page/5

Haha, so there's apparently a bunch of (racist) people who were both surprised and annoyed that rue *drumroll* was black (something I thought was glaringly obvious in the book). So much so that, apparently her race made her character's death "less sad".

All of the people featured are deleting their accounts, which is an epic victory for that blog.

For those who have read the book or the entire trilogy, I hope the first movie lived up to your expectations. It certainly did for me :D Cannot wait now for 'Catching Fire', which it is clear now, is spreading :D

I though it was really good movie buut

(don't read this spoiler if you haven't finished the books okaay)

katniss didn't go deaf in one ear, peeta didn't loose his leg and then the dogs! they were supposed to have the tributes eyes!! And in the cave she was suposed to feed peeta the syrup to let him go to sleep... they missed too much!

I pictured Rue with being really pale with black hair in the book, but who cares if she's black in the movie! That part of the movie was actually so sad, I was wiping away tears (I cried in the book too)

Oh god, I'm such a nerd.

I just came this and really, it is just ridiculous. They may delete their accounts but their stupidity (or ignorance rather, I'll give some the benefit of doubt) will live forever in cyberspace.

I think the casting of Rue was spot on. She played the role perfectly!

@rainplay, I would've really liked the moviemakers to have included a lot of what you revealed in the spoiler, specifically about her impairment as it would've shown how powerful and capable the Captiol is.

Wow, I'm way to into this :rolleyes:

they were supposed to have the tributes eyes!! And in the cave she was suposed to feed peeta the syrup to let him go to sleep... they missed too much!

If I were making the movie I would've left these out as well. 1. I can not conceive of a way that they could of communicated through the movie that the dogs were meant to look like the tributes with out having to offer some tacky explanation that breaks the flow of the scene. It was a creative idea in the book, but really, too difficult to do, and just kind of unnecessary.

2. Does it really matter whether or not she gave him syrup before he fell asleep? I thought the writers did a fine job of keeping true to the story, while not getting slowed down by those kinds of details (though the omitted bit about peeta's leg might affect the next movie).

Top of my head, only few things really stood out. 1. (I should probably recheck the chapter so I don't make a fool of myself here) The map was quite a bit different in the film. In the book, there's a pond or small lake nearby the cornucopia, whereas here there was a river running all the way through. And while the book gave me the impression that she was running through an open field that slowly descended into a valley, in the film there was nothing but very hilly, dense forest.

Also, I liked that Katniss and Peeta were not particularly attractive for most of the movie, but a. for someone from a family constantly bargaining for food, she was a bit heavier than she should have been (I heard the actress gained weight for the role). I also noticed that in one of the cave scenes, their faces magically looked cleaner and healthier than they had at the beginning of the film.

Get it! They're good.

If I were making the movie I would've left these out as well. 1. I can not conceive of a way that they could of communicated through the movie that the dogs were meant to look like the tributes with out having to offer some tacky explanation that breaks the flow of the scene. It was a creative idea in the book, but really, too difficult to do, and just kind of unnecessary.

2. Does it really matter whether or not she gave him syrup before he fell asleep? I thought the writers did a fine job of keeping true to the story, while not getting slowed down by those kinds of details (though the omitted bit about peeta's leg might affect the next movie).

I dunno, I think they could've added the eyes. But thinking about it now, it might have made it seem like the tributes were still alive or something.. But the syrup part bothered me, cause it's one of the memories (I think it's been awhile) that Peeta recalls later when he looses his memory. Annnd, the part in the beginning of the hunger games when Katniss is looking for water. In the book she almost dies from lack of water and in the movie she pretty much just trips into the river. That bothered me too.

But yeah, they can't add everything.

I see this trilogy is quite popular.. honestly, I never heard of it until the movie came out. I'm at the supermarket right now and I have the book with me, should I buy it?? I don't even know what it is about..

Absolutely get it. You won't regret it! If the trilogy is there, probably get that instead as you'll be done with the first book in no time ;-)

The part of the story where she feeds Peeta in the cave, well without having given him sleeping syrup and instead leaving when he was asleep in the movie, I don't think the viewers have lost anything as the important part (i.e. her feeding and staying with him in the cave) will be recalled in the final installment fairly easily without the minor detail of how she left him to get his medicine.

I do agree that it wasn't absolutely necessary to include how the mutts looked like the tributes. The moviemakers would've had to explain why and for myself even reading the book, I was wondering why for a while too. But at such a crucial point in the movie, the climax, it's probably good they didn't throw that in.

I would've loved to have seen a scene where they separate Peeta and Katniss at the end of the games when the hovercraft arrives. It would've shown so much emotion and reinforced Katniss truly cares about Peeta.

Absolutely get it. You won't regret it! If the trilogy is there, probably get that instead as you'll be done with the first book in no time ;-)

I saw the first and the third book, I didn't see the second one... But I think i'll read the first one first, then if I like it i'll buy the other two! :)

I saw the first and the third book, I didn't see the second one... But I think i'll read the first one first, then if I like it i'll buy the other two! :)

At least you didn't leave empty-haned! You'll find, after reading the book, all the little things that the movie did differently to the book but maybe find that it didn't really matter in the end as they seemed to have covered all the relevant bits well! Anyway hope you enjoy the book.

I've been reading around about a director's cut of the film. I'd love to see that, especially the killing scenes as it plays the centrol theme in the story (I know it's morbid but I would really prefer the gruesome killing scenes, for instance at the cornicopia).

Also, had anyone else heard they talk of making 'Mockingjay' in 2 parts? I'd like to think this is not another money-making ploy that's been adopted by some recent movies, given that there is so much content in the final book to cover in one movie (even if it is 2 hours long, which I don't mind either - I'm very biased btw :D).

Also, had anyone else heard they talk of making 'Mockingjay' in 2 parts? I'd like to think this is not another money-making ploy that's been adopted by some recent movies, given that there is so much content in the final book to cover in one movie (even if it is 2 hours long, which I don't mind either - I'm very biased btw :D).

I have read in several sources it will be 2 films for the third book

The author, Suzanne Collins, was actually one of the script writers, so at least she would have had input on what was left out.

I thought the movie was very well done, and reflected the ideas in the book quite well. They did a great job choosing the cast, particularly the actress who played Katniss - she was perfect for that role.

At least you didn't leave empty-haned! You'll find, after reading the book, all the little things that the movie did differently to the book but maybe find that it didn't really matter in the end as they seemed to have covered all the relevant bits well! Anyway hope you enjoy the book.

Yeah! But I think i'll have to get the other two books soon!! I'm so close to finish the first one now! At night, before sleeping I start reading and I can't stop, it's so well written that I want to keep on reading and find out what happens next! I'm happy I bought it, it's been a long time since I wanted a good read :)

The author, Suzanne Collins, was actually one of the script writers, so at least she would have had input on what was left out.

I thought the movie was very well done, and reflected the ideas in the book quite well. They did a great job choosing the cast, particularly the actress who played Katniss - she was perfect for that role.

I agree; Jennifer Lawrence was perfect for the lead. I'm eager to see who they expect to play the other characters mentioned in the following books. News is Zack Efron may be casted as Finnick (something which conflicts with how I've imagine him to be as based on the character's description in the book, i.e. older than Katniss but younger than Haymitch). It's speculation but either way I'm excited for the second installment!

Yeah! But I think i'll have to get the other two books soon!! I'm s.o close to finish the first one now! At night, before sleeping I start reading and I can't stop, it's so well written that I want to keep on reading and find out what happens next! I'm happy I bought it, it's been a long time since I wanted a good read :)

Haha you sound like I was when reading the first book - completely hooked and totally unwilling to rest till it was over. Just wait till you get stuck into the 2nd book ;-)

Haha you sound like I was when reading the first book - completely hooked and totally unwilling to rest till it was over. Just wait till you get stuck into the 2nd book ;-)

I just finished the book! Without a doubt it leaves you wanting to know what happens next, i'll have to get the next one quickly :lol: