✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Article: Coldplay's Chris Martin says Rihanna duet was not a marketing ploy

Tash

Coldplay's Chris Martin says Rihanna duet was not a marketing ploy

843934-coldplay-2012-musicares-person-of-the-year-tribute-to-paul-mccartney.jpg

Jealous of Gotye's hit single ... Musician Chris Martin of the band Coldplay.

WITH the release of their new single Princess Of China with Rihanna, don't expect Coldplay to be jumping on the "featuring" train again too soon.

Frontman Chris Martin said it was the song that dictated the pop star's involvement with the band, rather than a cynical marketing exercise to work with one of the most popular guest vocalists on the planet.

The pair have finished shooting the video, which depicts both as futuristic samurais in a rather intimate scene in which they are singing head to head and Rihanna is caressing Martin's face. It is expected to premiere in the next week.

850470-coldplay.jpg

"I think the guest thing is something we will keep quite special," Martin said. "We were doing Neil Young's Bridge School benefit and went into the studio the day before to mess around and this song came out and our immediate thought was to give it to Rihanna."

But the band members liked it and decided to do an old-fashioned duet.

"If a song says it belongs to someone, I don't think you have a choice," he said.

Martin has also become rather enamoured of our Gotye and is jealous he didn't write that song, or Oasis's Wonderwall.

"Gotye's song inspires jealousy in me," he said. "Just like Wonderwall. Both of them make you slightly angry you didn't write them because they are just that good. I'd give all three of my balls to have written them."

link

^:laugh3:

I find this article weirdly reassuring... So it went like: "this sounds like a Rihanna song, let's give it to her LOL" but then they remembered they were going to try anything for this album and not care about opinions and whatever, so they decided to keep it and do a duet.

And it didn't work out well, so: never again. :P

The pair have finished shooting the video, which depicts both as futuristic samurais in a rather intimate scene in which they are singing head to head and Rihanna is caressing Martin's face.

fangirl rage ahoy! :curtain:

^:laugh3:

I find this article weirdly reassuring... So it went like: "this sounds like a Rihanna song, let's give it to her LOL" but then they remembered they were going to try anything for this album and not care about opinions and whatever, so they decided to keep it and do a duet.

And it didn't work out well, so: never again. :P

if your definition of "it didn't work" is a #20 placing in the US billboard Hot 100 and a near platinum sales in the US, then every artist would envy coldplay :) :) :)

if your definition of "it didn't work" is a #20 placing in the US billboard Hot 100 and a near platinum sales in the US, then every artist would envy coldplay :) :) :)

no, I think that by "it didn't work out so well' she meant she doesn't like PoC.

And, oh, Chris :rolleyes::no::lol: