✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Latin American Tour 2013 [CANCELLED - GENERAL DISCUSSION HERE]

Guest LiquidSky

Can't believe this was actually canceled. Really hope they reschedule. I wasn't planning to go but the sudden announcement of being canceled was strange. Also, the lack of explanation is very vague. I'm sure they'll tour there sooner or later. They always do:)

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tours and logicists are planned out far in advance. They have the money for planes if shipping was an issue. My guess would be an issue on the other end. Is the same promoter doing the whole tour? If there is a problem with the promoter they would want to change before tickets go on sale.

Yeah, that does rule out the shipping issue somewhat. And no, I think there are different promoters for each leg of the tour? For example I think it was SJM concerts for the London shows in June.

I suspect the most likely thing is a promoter issue. If the current promoter has pulled out, fingers crossed they find another one quickly and get the shows back on track!

I dont think its a problem related with promoters, basically because almost every country has its own, even here in mexico sometimes there are several promoters for one single tour within the country

My guess is that its something personal, makes no sense any issue with promoters, sales, logistics etc, the tour announcement wouldve been avoided in first place

So I've been investigating a little and apparently Time For Fun (the promoters) has reconsidered bringing the tour to Latin America. It seems the Lady Gaga concert was a HUGE flop in sales in the region and they fear the same happens with Coldplay.

Yeah, Lady Gaga's flop was news all around here. They were selling tickets at the venue here for R$50 (US$25) so they could get rid of it and put more people inside.

I dont think its a problem related with promoters, basically because almost every country has its own, even here in mexico sometimes there are several promoters for one single tour within the country

My guess is that its something personal, makes no sense any issue with promoters, sales, logistics etc, the tour announcement wouldve been avoided in first place

Good point. But if it's personal, why would they postpone dates in Feb. and not dates in Nov./Dec.?

These shows are planned sometimes months in advance, so whatever prompted this must have come up quite suddenly.

So I've been investigating a little and apparently Time For Fun (the promoters) has reconsidered bringing the tour to Latin America. It seems the Lady Gaga concert was a HUGE flop in sales in the region and they fear the same happens with Coldplay.

Where did you get that??!? Is it common sence or you really have information from T4F??

Good point. But if it's personal, why would they postpone dates in Feb. and not dates in Nov./Dec.?

Maybe because its too late too cancel those dates, tickets have been sold, expenses have been already covered, things have been shipped, etc, who knows.....

On the other hand, the latinamerican tour was not even on sale yet, they just announced they were coming....

Where did you get that??!? Is it common sence or you really have information from T4F??

I would say thats pure speculation, cus Time for fun doesnt even exist here in Mexico, the promoter is OCESA. Plus, you are not going to make a contract with a band so they can go play in your country then announce the show, and all of a sudden say "hey, we think its not good idea, we changed our minds, lets not make the show"

Maybe because its too late too cancel those dates, tickets have been sold, expenses have been already covered, things have been shipped, etc, who knows.....

On the other hand, the latinamerican tour was not even on sale yet, they just announced they were coming....

Also a good point. A lot less 'damage control' to do in Latin America. But if it were a serious problem, they'd have to cancel the other shows, so it seems nothing is seriously wrong. That's the good news.:)

I wonder if its something logistical? Visa problems maybe? Or something to do with moving the set?

The fact that they haven't cancelled the rest of their Australia leg or the New York shows in December would suggest that its not something more drastic than that!

Fingers crossed everything's ok with them! No doubt more will come out over the next few days! I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do something like this lightly though!

Almost certainly something along those lines. If you'll recall a substantial portion of the first leg of Viva in '08 was postponed for similar reasons.

Tours and logicists are planned out far in advance. They have the money for planes if shipping was an issue. My guess would be an issue on the other end. Is the same promoter doing the whole tour? If there is a problem with the promoter they would want to change before tickets go on sale.

Even if it's not the same promoter, issues with one promoter (leading to the cancelization of some dates) could potential screw up the logistics/economics of the entire tour, and seeing as how nothing's gone on sale yet, in those circumstances, postponing all the dates may have been the most feasible option.

Oh my. I feel terribly sorry for everyone who had planned to go to these shows. I am sure you're distraught, and I sympathise with you totally and share your pain :( .

I'm worried why it has been postponed so suddenly. It's a bit unprofessional from the band to do this (although I know it may have been out of their hands).

I hope they're okay. It would be good to find out why this has happened, because it seems to be bit of a shambles, and is very unlike Coldplay.

Nah, it's very much like the band honestly. I love them, but it's undeniable that they have a pretty long and extensive track record of cancellations and postponements (many of them last minute) that rivals that of any band I can think of off the top of my head.

I'm concerned mostly for those people who had booked plane tickets to see them (seems a little bit rushed to me to book tickets for a plane to go to a concert without even having the ticket to the show but...) and I want to know what happened. i haven't seen a clear explanation or at least a firm possible one but... the one of the pregnancy should solve the issues about the rush and about the importance and should solve the questions of the other possibilites: it couldn't had been a bad organization issue because otherwise they wouldn't had made the announcement of going in the first place. if the first one is true then... STOP MAKING BABIES YOU BUNNIES! :P i'm not entirely sure about that one... and i'm curious about a more detailed explanation.

it's so sad... i was planning how to go and i was so mentalized :(

I'm concerned mostly for those people who had booked plane tickets to see them (seems a little bit rushed to me to book tickets for a plane to go to a concert without even having the ticket to the show but...) and I want to know what happened. i haven't seen a clear explanation or at least a firm possible one but... the one of the pregnancy should solve the issues about the rush and about the importance and should solve the questions of the other possibilites: it couldn't had been a bad organization issue because otherwise they wouldn't had made the announcement of going in the first place. if the first one is true then... STOP MAKING BABIES YOU BUNNIES! :P i'm not entirely sure about that one... and i'm curious about a more detailed explanation.

it's so sad... i was planning how to go and i was so mentalized :(

I wouldn't be so quick to rule out a logistical reason, nor do I expect we'll ever get a 100% candid explanation. If it is a business reason, they'll likely not be at liberty to say, and if it's personal, they probably won't want to. Frankly, IMHO they don't really owe one, most especially because they never put anything on sale. Just my opinion.

Sorry if it's already been said, but if it were a pregnancy, that wouldn't be 'unforeseen' unless it was only now realized. And even so, a new pregnancy wouldn't be enough to keep the band off the road.

I agree it's mostl ikely logistical, even though logistics should be worked out before a tour announcement.

Sorry if it's already been said, but if it were a pregnancy, that wouldn't be 'unforeseen' unless it was only now realized. And even so, a new pregnancy wouldn't be enough to keep the band off the road.

I agree it's mostl ikely logistical, even though logistics should be worked out before a tour announcement.

Yes, but promoters are an interesting sort, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them didn't have their s%^t together. :laugh3:

^ Yup, I agree, I mean, it would be nice to get some information but I doubt they would give some. I don't even think we'll get reschedules

Hate to say it, but I think it's likely you won't. My fingers are crossed for you guys though. :)

Yes, but promoters are an interesting sort, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them didn't have their s%^t together. :laugh3:

Yup, I hear that. I know what it's like to be an honest promoter doing small-time shows, and I dind't have my $%1i straight half the time,lol. And 'hones' doesn't always describe the big guys in the business...

Yup, I hear that. I know what it's like to be an honest promoter doing small-time shows, and I dind't have my $%1i straight half the time,lol. And 'hones' doesn't always describe the big guys in the business...

Actually as much as the mega giants like LiveNation are (rightly) maligned, a huge factor in their rise is that they were/are able to offer large tours a more simplified and professional touring experience when compared to many of the "mom and pop's" that used to be industry standard.

Actually as much as the mega giants like LiveNation are (rightly) maligned, a huge factor in their rise is that they were/are able to offer large tours a more simplified and professional touring experience when compared to many of the "mom and pop's" that used to be industry standard.

AAbsoluteley. I'm just saying the 'Mom and Pop's' motives wereoften (though not always) more altruistic. The small potatoes that I know just want to put good music out there. If I'd been in it to make big bucks, I wouldn't have given up broke a few years ago,lol.

Even if it's not the same promoter, issues with one promoter (leading to the cancelization of some dates) could potential screw up the logistics/economics of the entire tour, and seeing as how nothing's gone on sale yet, in those circumstances, postponing all the dates may have been the most feasible option.

exactly. T4F is the company that is promoting the South America shows. This whole situation is very weird. Why the announcement this close to the dates? Last time they did almost 6 months in advance.

According to T4F Chile, they'll announce the new dates soon, so it's not a problem with the concert producers. I think it was a schedule problem, maybe they need to add new dates or change venues. It is true that Lady Gaga's concerts didn't sell that well but it's different with coldplay, they have a bigger audience here