✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is there a God?

Brent

Whoa. This thread. I shouldn't read through these discussions. I just can't take it! And since I know arguing never helps the situation, say it in a way that will not sound like I'm arguing with anyone...but I believe the whole Bible is the word of God. I belive that God created the world and everything in it, I believe that once Adam sinned l, man kind was separated from God. I believe that God sent his son, Jesus to die to set us all free from sin. I believe that there is life after death and the only way you can spend eternity with God is if you give your life to him and live fully for him (it doesn't mean you won't make mistakes and sin, it just means when you do you repent and he forgives you) I believe that I need to pray for you all. It really breaks my heart.

Go ahead and believe whatever you like. I'm not gonna try to convince you. I'm just simply stating what I believe and saying that I really do care about you more than about being right.

Okay. I added my little bit.

God bless you and I'll be praying.

Everyone has their right to believe in what they want to believe, I guess. I do pray sometimes, though I don't go to the church. Religion is too much subjective in my point of view and that's why I'm not into it. Bible may or may not be the word of God - but it clearly wasn't written by God himself. Also it reflects the lifestyle of over 2000 years ago. Thus, you cannot take it literally. I don't see how people can find answers to current problems in the world, including those political, in the Bible. Bible is about religion and religion shouldn't form the laws, religion should form the self-confidence and promote love and peace around the world. Religion nowadays only seems to create wars.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone has their right to believe in what they want to believe, I guess. I do pray sometimes, though I don't go to the church. Religion is too much subjective in my point of view and that's why I'm not into it. Bible may or may not be the word of God - but it clearly wasn't written by God himself. Also it reflects the lifestyle of over 2000 years ago. Thus, you cannot take it literally. I don't see how people can find answers to current problems in the world, including those political, in the Bible. Bible is about religion and religion shouldn't form the laws, religion should form the self-confidence and promote love and peace around the world. Religion nowadays only seems to create wars.

:sick: Okay Fran...here's the thing. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever according to the bible. And I agree that there are somethings that are more relevant to people 2000 + years ago. And Christians obviously don't sacrifice animals (that's because after God sent his son to die for our sins as the ultimate sacrifice, there was no need for animals to be sacrificed cause all our sins had been forgiven) but there are lots of things that are still just as important today as they where 2000 years ago. For instance, the ten commandments, You probably don't care for the first four, but the rest are all pretty good things to follow no matter what you believe. But I can't convince you of anything... If you were to read the bible, without already decideding in your heart that it can't all be true, maybe it would change your live. Who knows...Only God. Well, since I REALLY don't want to start arguing (which is something I struggle with) I will leave it at that for now.

God bless you all.

I'll be praying!

A fair warning: the spoiler contains material that may offend some people. Be warned.

I'm just saying that I've read the Bible (just to know what it contains; I am, and have always been, an atheist)...and, I don't mean to offend Laurel (or anyone else), but most of it is contradictory. For instance, in one "book" [i can't remember which one], God essentially tells Moses to kill non-believers. Uh...what? I understand that the Bible is rather outdated - by 2000+ years - but seriously? Also, from a scientific point of view, a resurrection really doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but okay. [Also, Abraham sacrificing Isaac to prove that he loves God doesn't make very much sense to me...but again, I was raised an atheist] Honestly, after reading the whole thing, I feel even less inclined to believe in God.

Anyway, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in any sort of God, but, to be honest, as long as people aren't overly flagrant about their beliefs, I don't really care if someone believes in God or not. I'm a fairly scientific person; however, the hypothesis that there is a "creator" is as valid as the belief that there is not. (personally, I stick to the 'not' side of things, only because it can be proven wrong...who can really prove that there is not a god/more than one god?)

:sick: Okay Fran...here's the thing. God is the same yesterday, today, and forever according to the bible. And I agree that there are somethings that are more relevant to people 2000 + years ago. And Christians obviously don't sacrifice animals (that's because after God sent his son to die for our sins as the ultimate sacrifice, there was no need for animals to be sacrificed cause all our sins had been forgiven) but there are lots of things that are still just as important today as they where 2000 years ago. For instance, the ten commandments, You probably don't care for the first four, but the rest are all pretty good things to follow no matter what you believe. But I can't convince you of anything... If you were to read the bible, without already decideding in your heart that it can't all be true, maybe it would change your live. Who knows...Only God. Well, since I REALLY don't want to start arguing (which is something I struggle with) I will leave it at that for now.

God bless you all.

I'll be praying!

I don't want to argue. It's just that I hate it how religion only seems to create wars and divides people. Just look at the Near East. At all the wars in the past caused by religion. All the protests. All the deaths. Too much to count. I think something has gone in the wrong direction. God told us that even if we chose to not believe in him, he'd still love us. Why did all those deaths happen then? Maybe we were created on the image of the God, but it seems like we are not that anymore. God loves all the people, while people are judgemental about each other.

And I tried to read the bible before I started to think this way. The thing is - bible was and is still used as a weapon.

The ten commandments are really good things to follow. I respect people who follow them. I do follow them. I try to.

Eh I'm probably too young to think so much about this.

A fair warning: the spoiler contains material that may offend some people. Be warned.

I'm just saying that I've read the Bible (just to know what it contains; I am, and have always been, an atheist)...and, I don't mean to offend Laurel (or anyone else), but most of it is contradictory. For instance, in one "book" [i can't remember which one], God essentially tells Moses to kill non-believers. Uh...what? I understand that the Bible is rather outdated - by 2000+ years - but seriously? Also, from a scientific point of view, a resurrection really doesn't make any sense whatsoever, but okay. [Also, Abraham sacrificing Isaac to prove that he loves God doesn't make very much sense to me...but again, I was raised an atheist] Honestly, after reading the whole thing, I feel even less inclined to believe in God.

Anyway, I'm an atheist. I don't believe in any sort of God, but, to be honest, as long as people aren't overly flagrant about their beliefs, I don't really care if someone believes in God or not. I'm a fairly scientific person; however, the hypothesis that there is a "creator" is as valid as the belief that there is not. (personally, I stick to the 'not' side of things, only because it can be proven wrong...who can really prove that there is not a god/more than one god?)

Well, I just wanted to comment on what you said about Abraham. God was testing Abraham to see if he would be willing to do anything God asked him. I mean, what could be harder than killing your one and only child? Abraham also new that God promised to make his offspring countless and so he trusted that God would keep his promise one way or another. And about the resurrection...of coarse science can't explain that. haha! That was God's power. It might not make sense to you. I do not have the answers to all of these questions. Nobody has all the answers. So I won't try to answer everything, as I don't want to say things that are not scripturally accurate. I just want to leave you with a question.

If you died tomorrow, how do you know you wouldn't spend eternity in Hell?

I don't want to argue. It's just that I hate it how religion only seems to create wars and divides people. Just look at the Near East. At all the wars in the past caused by religion. All the protests. All the deaths. Too much to count. I think something has gone in the wrong direction. God told us that even if we chose to not believe in him, he'd still love us. Why did all those deaths happen then? Maybe we were created on the image of the God, but it seems like we are not that anymore. God loves all the people, while people are judgemental about each other.

And I tried to read the bible before I started to think this way. The thing is - bible was and is still used as a weapon.

The ten commandments are really good things to follow. I respect people who follow them. I do follow them. I try to.

Eh I'm probably too young to think so much about this.

Well, I'm not judging you. I really want to hear what you believe. And the crusades, people forcing other people to either become Christian or die. That's not all how things are supposed to be. God's given us a free will and he does love everybody, he just wants them to worship him in return. Wars are because of sin, not religion. And I don't even like referring to Christianity as a religion. Ah well, there's not much more I can say right now...

^ I don't know that...but then again, I have absolutely no idea if there is a Heaven and/or Hell. Again, no one can really prove that there is an afterlife...but no one can really prove anything to contrary, either.

Yes, but I always think that if there wasn't an afterlife, I would be no better or worse off then anyone else, but if what the bible says is true, then just think about it. It really makes me sad. :sick:

Well, I'm not judging you. I really want to hear what you believe. And the crusades, people forcing other people to either become Christian or die. That's not all how things are supposed to be. God's given us a free will and he does love everybody, he just wants them to worship him in return. Wars are because of sin, not religion. And I don't even like referring to Christianity as a religion. Ah well, there's not much more I can say right now...

I don't know what to believe in anymore. I voted "yes" in the pool because that's why I try to believe.

:hug:

I don't know what to believe in anymore. I voted "yes" in the pool because that's why I try to believe.

Hmm...I don't want to make such a fuss. And hearing your opinion does not make me think of you as any lower than me. After all, I like Coldplay and Keane and I disagree with them in quite a few areas, but they're great at what they do and I am not gonna hate them for not being Christians. In fact, as a Christian I'm supposed to love everyone, even the person who hates me.

Hmm...I don't want to make such a fuss. And hearing your opinion does not make me think of you as any lower than me. After all, I like Coldplay and Keane and I disagree with them in quite a few areas, but they're great at what they do and I am not gonna hate them for not being Christians. In fact, as a Christian I'm supposed to love everyone, even the person who hates me.

My respect. You're really nice.

When I was a kid, it was impossible for me to see myself as an atheist. This didn't (and will never) change. I really can't think that there's no kind of God and that we're all children of casuality and that, when we die, we just stop existing. To me, that doesn't make any sense at all and that's what makes me feel sure that God exists. Also, wars are never caused by religion itself. For example, the Crusades were just a conquering war like any other and religion was used just as an excuse.

Then said, I think anyone must be free to believe in what he/she wants and I would never consider myself superior to anyone because I'm catholic

This, also :nod:

My respect. You're really nice.

You're not too bad yourself. :) And I'm glad we had this discussion. I got to know more about you and you got to know more about me, and nobody's mad at anyone. It was great to hear your thoughts and beliefs, and with that, I'm off to bed.

You're not too bad yourself. :) And I'm glad we had this discussion. I got to know more about you and you got to know more about me, and nobody's mad at anyone. It was great to hear your thoughts and beliefs, and with that, I'm off to bed.

I may have very strange and/or humble opinions on things, including religion. But I will never judge someone based on their religion... I wish I could find myself in a religion. I have basic Sacraments of the Catholic Church, I tried to be a religious person for a long time. But I just felt that I didn't belong there.

If you died tomorrow, how do you know you wouldn't spend eternity in Hell?

But you're implying that you should be a Christian out of fear, not out of passion and faith. That should not at all be the reason why you believe in a god.

Sorry if it looks like I'm initiating an argument.

But you're implying that you should be a Christian out of fear, not out of passion and faith. That should not at all be the reason why you believe in a god.

Sorry if it looks like I'm initiating an argument.

This is what I was always taught by Christians, but sadly, it seems that a lot of atheists think God is a tool for controlling the weak, and manipulating the fearful.

My best mate is an atheist, and he says that he doesn't believe in "nothing". He believes in the wonder of the universe, nature, people and life; science is his god. And those are the best kind of atheists.

I don't discuss my own religion, by the way. :P

You're right. My friend shows all the time how true atheist she is and spam fb wall with a bit stupid photos showing how stupid all Christians are. But she celebrate Christmas or Easter. Is it fair? It's part of our tradition. She has right to say what she think, but nobody has right to say: I know better.

Erm, wow. That is genuinely the most offensive thing I've ever read on this forum. Did I really look like I was personally attacking anyone there ?

I'm gonna do everyone a favor and just stop posting in the thread.

Going into this thread, you should know that people will have views of all different kinds and you must learn how to have an open mind and control your emotions. A discussion is not the same thing as an attack on your culture and everything you believe in.

I am such a hard-working person and I don't ever want to be like most of the idiots in my family, around me, etc. who are just wasting their lives drinking and stealing and beating their wives. I'm gonna be a great person and I know it because I'm better than that. I was raised so much better than that. If none of that matters and I'm gonna be punished for eternity, then I wish I was never alive.

I guess we can't have a fulfilling conversation on here without being sent to burn in hell forever.

That is not why I'm a Christian, I was just saying that some of you were saying "religion doesn't work for me" or "I just didn't feel anything" and things like that, and I was saying, it's not whether or not you "feel" it, it's whether or not it's true. if it doesn't "work" for you, but it's true, you're still heading to the same place. Just saying.

You are not God. You are not a fit judge. You can't tell anyone where they are going or what's going to happen to them without trying to fill the role of God.

That is not why I'm a Christian, I was just saying that some of you were saying "religion doesn't work for me" or "I just didn't feel anything" and things like that, and I was saying, it's not whether or not you "feel" it, it's whether or not it's true. if it doesn't "work" for you, but it's true, you're still heading to the same place. Just saying.

wow.

I was trying to put my finger on what's wrong with modern Christianity, but I think you just hit the nail on the head.

That is the most judgmental, offensive thing I've seen on here. And someone called me a "fag" once.

Holy shit.

Luke 6:37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned."

I've kinda always been a Christian but recently I came to the realization that there was no way I could believe in the God I grew up with who in more ways resembled an abusive boyfriend than what I felt God should be. I kinda lean more towards a sort of liberal Christian Universalism now, it makes everything make a lot more sense and not manipulative.

That´s a bit hypocritical.

You may think that it´s no big deal to say that and you´re just trying to scare people into your religion and beliefs, but actually your just being really immature and not a good christian at that.

My brother last year told me much like your words "If you keep doing what you´re doing, you´ll head to a certain place" and that really really really hurt me and it came from my brother who still in my heart I knew that he wanted to help me as a brother. But for a complete stranger to just come and tell someone you´ve only seen a couple of text post and tell her that she is going to hell? You don´t even know her, even I wouldnt know her enough to say such a thing. You are not one to judge. So get your head out of you ass.

/i wasnt going to post anything but this just reminded me of what my brother told me and since then our relationship hasnt been the same