✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Has the vitriol subsided?

Fix42YellowClocks

You're saying this as if it actually matters what people say about Coldplay. It doesn't. Coldplay don't give a damn about what those people say. They're still going to do whatever they want, and they're going to keep the fans in mind, not those people who don't like their music. People saying they should retire are merely stating an opinion, and it has no impact on whether Coldplay will actually retire or not. It doesn't impede Coldplay in any way whatsoever, and anyone who actually thinks that is frickin' mental.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't. Coldplay don't give a damn about what those people say.

Really? I've seen interviews where Chris says he does listen to people's criticisms of the band. In Viva la Vida interviews, he specifically talks about "The Case Against Coldplay" article which scathingly criticizes his supposed 'cliche' and 'untalented' writing as bringing down the band. And, perhaps unsurprisingly, you can see a stark difference to the songwriting between the first 3 albums and Viva, where the lyrics in the later are much more abstract, colorful, and developed. You're saying he just conveniently changed his lyrical style and put a much larger focus on the lyrics and just happened to mention that article's impact on him for no reason? I also read where someone visiting the band had listened to 42 and said it sounded like Radiohead. Chris went back and changed parts of the song. It seems like they DO care about what people say. They're not Oasis, they're not made of stone and if anything Chris's sensitivity shines through his lyrics and should be a very clear indicator. If you can't find support in your fans, where can you find it?

I didn't say they didn't listen. I said they didn't care in terms of actually letting it get them down. If they read a negative opinion of their work, they're not going to go cry in a corner and stuff themselves with bonbons while watching "Coronation Street." They're still popular, and they're still going to keep making music, so it's irrelevant. That's what I meant.

Also, what the hell does Oasis have to do with anything?

Everyone has a right to be outlandish and bitterly critical but when I offer some kind of objection, no.

Nobody said you lost your rights to anything, or that you are not entitled to them. Are you assuming that just because your last few posts didn't receive well with people, that we want your rights taken away, or that you don't have them? :uneasy:

I don't even understand what is the point of this novel that is unfolding. I know that my opinion is worth just the same as yours, but I made my point a while ago. People have opinions. Small, understated opinions, loud and arrogant opinions. It's one of the best things that the world has to offer. But this situation that you made a thread about, Fix42YellowClocks, are the opinions of some people you don't know, who will never have any sort of impact on your life, and you will not even vaguely remember them 10-20 years down the line. Why are you so angry and concerned about opinions that are different from yours?

Basically here's a post I made a little while ago about someone who seemed quite paranoid about what people think, it's a bit weird out of context but I hope you can understand the point I am trying to get across:

At the end of the day, this is not gonna matter. You're gonna move on with your life, get a job, get married, travel, start a family, start to absolutely hate your job, find a new one, have an unexpected grandkid, retire, do all sorts of stuff you wanted to do like skydiving, and then you'll be gone from the world. And the opinions you thought people had of you ~60 years ago is not gonna matter. At all.

Sorry you feel that way. But don't worry about pleasing people and opinions and all that. Just try to find people who like you for being you. People who make you laugh and help you and make you a smarter person. They're really the only ones important to you. Everyone else can fuck off.

Nobody is liked by everyone. A few people are gonna either be irritated by you or envious of you. Often for a very small and stupid reason. It sucks. But they're not part of the big picture. It's a dumb thing to worry about. You're only on this earth for a short time. So don't spend a lot of it torturing yourself about something that is most likely not even true

Before you say it, yes it's fine to have a nice intellectual debate about something on a forum, but this, ohh man. You've turned a very simple question about why people take the piss about Coldplay's newest album into a 2000-word saga of human rights philosophies, politics ideals, and incomprehensible words, barely relevant to Coldplay and only there so you can place yourself at a higher level than everyone else.

To not allow any exceptions in this libertarian idealism will prove the downfall of free speech as a whole, as any can restrict others on no reasonable basis whatsoever in a lawless system of chaos.

Read this again. Do you really think that this doesn't sound like madness when you're just asking a simple question about why some 13-year-old children on a fan forum are joking around about how bad an album is?

I had a bit of a hard time reading your post. It's not because I'm stupid or ignorant, but you can feel free to believe that if it makes you feel better. But seriously, if you are such an ace writer you should know your audience. You are on a messageboard, so you may speak the same type of English that you use when you're talking to someone, because that's what we're doing. You are not writing a medical school paper.

Feel free to make a thread where people discuss abstract and fiercely debated things and all that, but do you not see how unnecessarily complex these posts are, for this situation? And it's not cause 'I don't pay attention in my high school English class', thanks very much, that's almost as condescending as a few of the other replies you've gotten in this thread. It's really offensive to me. I'm not stupid. You don't know the kind of person I aim to be and am, in the real world. You don't know Reilly. You don't know it of other people, either. You were just acting like a bit of a smart-ass there.

Please don't play the victim card. Treat people with respect and they'll treat you with respect. They might strongly disagree with you, because we all have minds of our own, but they will respect you as a person and not use personal attacks. At least a vast majority of people will.

But the way you come in here and write, in a superior manner to everyone else, trying to alienate people with these unecessarily big words and your bolded Latin terms from an intro philosophy class, then using the excuse that 'we should've paid attention in high school English class' if we don't understand.

Of course people will be irritated, no matter what the argument is.

"Has the vitriol subsided" indeed.

You sorta deserved that disrespect you got. Learn to be a more diplomatic and modest speaker and stop writing in an 'intellectual' way, and less tension will form. But don't you dare come here and act like you're a victim or you're a savior of morals and free-thought after you pull this character off, more immature than anything I could've written, and I'm fifteen years old.

I did stoop to your level by making a similar massive text post, but it will be my last post in this thread. I just wanted to say what I needed to say so everyone can shut up now and we don't have to do the back-and-forth reply game anymore. Have a wonderful life.

Yes, you do make a good point. The question now is why would I want to?
Why would you want to refrain from negative opinions? I'm guessing the same reason you left the forum for a year.

Disagreeing with popular consensus on negativity and having my own form of logic makes me a loon.

How does one have one's own form of logic?

Clearly a sign of a receptive place I would think. Everyone has a right to be outlandish and bitterly critical but when I offer some kind of objection, no. There's no place for that. So everyone can speak their mind, but not really

No one ever said you couldn't speak your mind. We just found what you said laughable. Particularly where you say we are somehow curtailing the rights of coldplay by voicing negative opinions about mylo xyloto. I mean...where did you possibly get the idea that Chris Martin would somehow suffer as a result of a coldplaying post?

Clearly I'm in the wrong for having payed attention in high school English class.
This self-righteous, greater than thou tone isn't winning you any points.

Of course, everyone has a right to be negative without justification but can I try to use logic to prove a point people disagree with?

Dear me.

1. Your speech was mostly a series of blunt, unsupported declarations that, as a philosophy major, I took affront to. If you're going to make generalizations about human rights, at least include some citations.

2. What logic? Your premises and assumptions about the website itself were absurd, and even if they were sound, there was no actual logical structure or syllogism to be found.

Just so you don't leave oblivious to why we reacted as we did...

When one's freedom of expression seeks to prohibit others', it is immoral and not justified

How does this remotely apply to negativity in a coldplay forum?

However, we have a right as moral agents to sequester those who look to abuse their freedoms to quiet Coldplay's expression
You sound like people are trying to burn down their studio. Do you truly believe this fansite will effect anything that the band members do? I'm sorry, but that's just loony (as you so eloquently put it)

To argue that members here have a right to free speech to stop Coldplay from expressing free speech is completely irrational and contradictory.

How is exercising free speech suddenly an act of violence or force? Are you reading what you type? If you post a song, and I think you're an awful singer, how is that restrictive of your personal freedoms? Silly silly.

Moving back....

Nope. I don't know what I was thinking trying to be an individual and not conforming with everyone else.

100 bucks if you show me where reilly said you were wrong for not conforming. If I go into a crowd and start going on an irrational political rant, the antagonism I would receive is not because of my exercise in nonconformity, but my sheer stupidity. Know the difference.

Indeed, indeed. You treat my argument like it's so worthless, pitiful and funny.

I guess it was sort of entertaining...

Precisely. People's intolerance of my opinion is irrational.

No one's asking you to leave.

We can justify people who attack Coldplay on no concrete grounds, but my right to opinion? haha! What a fool to think I should have a right to speak my mind.

Again, who is making you leave or shut up? Was your thread deleted? If I stage a 1 man protest to save the dinosaurs in front of the white house, and people laugh, has my right to free speech been hindered, Mr. Logic?

and to retreat a couple pages, those who criticized coldplay did so for reasons that they explained quite clearly. You think positive album reviews were any more concrete/objective?

Somehow their opinions are tolerable and not mine. Much logic. I'm glad I can be in a community where respect for unorthodox ideas is nominal and I can't express an argument or opinion without being dehumanized and verbally abused. When I criticized others for being negative, I wasn't a jerk about it. I tried to explain it logically, not with insults and put downs. Even if you think I failed, I didn't go out of my way to disrespect or be rude to anyone. I wanted this to be logical, not personal. Vitriol remains.

I'm telling you quite calmly that you clearly know very little about logic and sound argument.

Really? I've seen interviews where Chris says he does listen to people's criticisms of the band. In Viva la Vida interviews, he specifically talks about "The Case Against Coldplay" article which scathingly criticizes his supposed 'cliche' and 'untalented' writing as bringing down the band. And, perhaps unsurprisingly, you can see a stark difference to the songwriting between the first 3 albums and Viva, where the lyrics in the later are much more abstract, colorful, and developed. You're saying he just conveniently changed his lyrical style and put a much larger focus on the lyrics and just happened to mention that article's impact on him for no reason? I also read where someone visiting the band had listened to 42 and said it sounded like Radiohead. Chris went back and changed parts of the song. It seems like they DO care about what people say. They're not Oasis, they're not made of stone and if anything Chris's sensitivity shines through his lyrics and should be a very clear indicator. If you can't find support in your fans, where can you find it?

Hypothetically, If one subscribes to the ridiculous idea that I can personally change the band's music by posting here...should their fans not be open and honest if coldplay care so much about the opinions of their fans? Those venting negative opinions of Mylo Xyloto were often those who had loved the band more and for a longer time than the new fans who gave it 10/10 reviews. Are you suggesting that they lie and swallow any crap the band dishes out, asking for more? In any case, isn't praise more restrictive than criticism in this regard? As they've become a more popular band, so their music has become more mainstream (who would've forseen a duet with rihanna 7 years ago). With that comes more money, and a greater obligation to appeal to the masses.

:lock: :lock: :lock: ?

I can't help but feel if this thread were locked, he'd make another thread about how he had his rights taken away from him again. :rolleyes:

Je suis le martyr. Bon débarras tous. Vive la France napoléonienne

1. You obviously don't know what a martyr is.

2. I wonder if you realize how much this post makes you look like a complete tool.

Je suis le martyr. Bon débarras tous. Vive la France napoléonienne
HAY HAY HAY :angry:

What the hell is your use of French for that post supposed to mean ? :angry:

"Viva la France napoléonienne" ?! DAFUCK ? :angry:

And you made a mistake :|

"Bon débarras tous" isn't correct :|

Perhaps you meant "Bon débarras à tous" ? I'm not even sure that's something we say :thinking: We do say "Bon débarras", but we don't add anything after.

Martyrdom is when you sacrifice yourself for a cause, I don't think it has to do with faith specifically, although that's a historical application.

Like this kid is a martyr for Mylo Xyloto's /good/ name: Sacrificing his or her good name for a weird nonsensical rant on something that happened a year ago.

Thank you for attacking me on a personal level. That's a really convincing and legitimate way to get your point across. Don't use logic, just spew insults. Cool. Make yourself feel better by putting down others. Always laudable.

I do not know you so I cannot attack you on a personal level. I know your screen name, and I know you say weird things on the internet.

I said dance for me: A satirical request to match your ridiculous arguments. And that you're making yourself into a joke, which we'd all agree has happened here. Universal human rights do not apply to Mylo Xyloto commentary, although it does apply to the Sudanese government murdering its own citizens. Or suicide bombers in Afghanistan. Or social welfare. Or domestic abuse: All of which are more important than your lengthy overblown rant on Mylo Xyloto vitriol whateverthehell.

Here are several hypothetical examples of what would be attacking you personally:

- I had sex with your mom last night and it was surprisingly good, though she should work on her eye contact.

- Your family is poor and it amuses me.

- Wow, I've never met anyone with trisomy-23 before.

- Did it hurt when your alcoholic dad beat you as a kid?

I would never say things like that, and I didn't say them to you. Stop playing the victim and start considering Newton's Third Law: "To every action there is always an equal and opposite reaction." When you say something dumb, expect it to be addressed.