✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Obama or Romney?

R's Symphony

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that I hold very liberal views and I try very hard to be non judgemental when it comes to other people's point of view. During the election I sometimes wonder what people honestly saw in Romney. He was a terrible speaker. He scared me with his views on other countries. Enough countries already don't like americans and Romney seemed to be a Rambo type where he would go in guns ablazing and ask questions later (like Bush). I don't think that is how we should handle things.

In dealing with the economy I wasn't a fan of Romney saying what he was going to do by cutting taxes for higher tax brackets and that was going to help the economy grow. The problem was he never really showed excatly how that was going to work and while keeping the budget balanced. I know he wanted to cut a ton of things but that doesn't work either. Also by saying he wanted to remove some of the tax breaks that majority of the middle class recieved did not help.

My biggest problem with the whole government system right now is we have been taught to have a seperation of church and state but when it comes down to certain issues Republicans scream back with religious beliefs. It drives me absoulutley insane. What makes anyones beliefs more important than someone elses. Thats the whole point. Americans pride themselves on being individualists but some people want their religious beliefs to be law. Thats not the American spirit.

Bottom line is people can be very ignorant. They belive things they read without actually seeing if they are true. I live in a ruarl area and they think that all Democrats want to do is help people get on welfare and that all people on welfare are abusing the system. They think that Democrats want to take away their guns. (I hate guns they are everywhere here drives me crazy :() All in all its a little insane.

Oh well I have rambled long enough I'm sorry. The whole thing just boggles my mind sometimes. I just wish people would actually look at the fact before they start running their mouths. I have heard some much stupid crap the last two days because I am an Obama supporter in this little town I think I might have gone a little mad.

Thanks for listening I know you guys won't judge me!!!! :)

Oh my goodness, last night's episode of South Park. I don't know how they come up with that stuff so quickly before airtime! Cartman going across the country to steal oodles of ballots for Romney so that Obama won; which was a directive from the Chinese government (General Tso), because China wanted to be able to control/buyout/whatever the rights to the Star Wars franchise so that new (real-life) owner Disney (just announced a few days ago) wouldn't screw up the next 3 movies; Morgan Freeman getting a new freckle each time he explains complicated issues with his soothing voice (direct reference to Obama's TV commercials of course)... that was an instant classic episode.

If you watched Obama's victory speech, you'll notice they got everyone in the crowd behind him spot on. I know I should be used to Matt and Trey's ability to do this by now -- but it's still awesome.

My biggest problem with the whole government system right now is we have been taught to have a seperation of church and state but when it comes down to certain issues Republicans scream back with religious beliefs. It drives me absoulutley insane. What makes anyones beliefs more important than someone elses. Thats the whole point. Americans pride themselves on being individualists but some people want their religious beliefs to be law. Thats not the American spirit.

I actually got into an argument with someone over Facebook about this. The girl in question insisted that America was founded on God (which it isn't). I tried explaining this to her, but all it did was grow into a political/religious mess, which ended with her telling me that God views me as inferior to her because I'm an atheist and she isn't. :|

Okay...God doesn't view anyone as inferior. Did she seriously say that?

The first settlers who came to America wanted to be free to worship God the way they thought was right and not be told how to do it by the government. The history books in school take a lot of the stuff about God out. But there where ultimately other reasons that startied the revolutionary war besides freedom of religion. But that freedom, along with freedom of speech, are slowly slipping away. Teachers being able to tell the kids that the world was created billions and billions of years ago by the big bang, but teachers not being able to teach kids that there was a God who created the world. Why shouldn't a teacher be able to give both view points and let the kids decide for themselves? And of course there are so many other examples, but I won't go into that.

But seriously, God in no way looks on you as inferior to anyone else.

Okay...God doesn't view anyone as inferior. Did she seriously say that?

The first settlers who came to America wanted to be free to worship God the way they thought was right and not be told how to do it by the government. The history books in school take a lot of the stuff about God out. But there where ultimately other reasons that startied the revolutionary war besides freedom of religion. But that freedom, along with freedom of speech, are slowly slipping away. Teachers being able to tell the kids that the world was created billions and billions of years ago by the big bang, but teachers not being able to teach kids that there was a God who created the world. Why shouldn't a teacher be able to give both view points and let the kids decide for themselves? And of course there are so many other examples, but I won't go into that.

But seriously, God in no way looks on you as inferior to anyone else.

Yeah, she did. Silly, innit?

See, that was my point, though. America was founded on the grounds that they could worship God how they wanted without persecution, not because of God himself.

The reason the Adam/Eve way of creation isn't taught in schools is because it's not universal. In public schools, it's not fair to put one religion over another. Sure, Christian students are fine with it, but what about a Hindu student? The beginning of the world in the Hindu scripture is different. Is it right, then, to imply by not teaching his beliefs that he is wrong? No, of course not. I believe that if religion is going to be taught in schools, all religions should be covered, not just ones that you choose that you personally believe are right.

As far as the Big Bang Theory is concerned, it IS allowed to be taught because it's a universal belief in the world of science that the Big Bang is a plausible theory for how our world as we know it began. (On a side note, Laurel, as you are a strong Christian, I think you should watch "The Genesis Code." A huge part of the plot involves linking the Big Bang Theory to the events in Genesis so as to prove the plausibility of the events of the Bible. Of course, there were lots of things I thought were wrong with it (like how the movie somehow assumes that the story of Genesis is the biggest problem atheists have with the Bible; it's not), but I think you'd like it a lot. :nice:)

Well, of course I don't think has the right to tell children that one thing is right or wrong, but I think they should show different theories about how the world came into existence. it's also more interesting be given different point of views. My science books show different opinions and compares them, which make learning it a lot more interesting, and I learn about so many things that I wouldn't get with just one point of view.

Hmmm, sounds like an interesting movie. I might just check it out. :)

10 ways you know the US election is over

It's been a long slog of a campaign and many Americans - whether their favoured candidate won or lost - are just relieved it's over. Here are 10 signs election day has been and gone.

1. No-one cares about Ohio

Once every four years, the state finds itself at the centre of the political universe, before dropping off the map. Ohio is often the butt of American jokes - seen as the embodiment of a Midwestern backwater. But as the election draws near, the world's media descends, and commentators talk breathlessly about how "it's all about Ohio". "People enjoy it," says Fred Andrle, a former talk show host in Ohio. Most of the time, "we are considered fly-over people". Ohio law student Andrew Gordon-Seifert, 24, appreciated the attention - not least from the candidates themselves. But he says: "There's a sentiment of cynicism - they realised how important we are to getting elected, but will they be there for us in the future?"

2. Mattress ads back on television

There were more than one million campaign ad airings in this presidential campaign - almost double that in 2008 and 2004. It has been a bonanza in terms of ad revenues for TV stations, but now the adverts have returned to staple subjects like mattresses, a dog's arthritis or erectile dysfunction. Answering the phone has become a whole lot easier for those in swing states too - if there is a call, it is probably a real person.

3. The polling addicts are in detox

There are lots of "poll junkies" out there, says self-confessed addict Daniel Hamermesh, who teaches economics at the University of Texas at Austin and Royal Holloway in London. With a habit of checking the latest polls at least four times a day, he set himself the target of going cold turkey up to election day. He lasted just three days. "I fell off the damn wagon," he says. But with the election over, he says he's coping fine: "The thing that caused the addiction is gone - it's as if there has been a tobacco blight, and the tobacco is gone," he says. "My wife is happy to have me back more full-time."

4. All the news is about this cliff thing

Lots of things get put on ice during election season, but this one will have to come out of the freezer soon. The "fiscal cliff" refers to a deadline of 31 December for Congress to agree on spending levels and tax rates. The Fitch ratings agency recently called it the "single biggest near-term threat to a global economic recovery". The word "bipartisanship" is one that has come out of the deep-freeze in the last couple of days. It will be needed.

5. You only read Buzzfeed for pictures of cats

Once upon a time, Buzzfeed was a site devoted to cats playing the piano, photos of kids with weird haircuts, and 90s nostalgia. But then Politico whiz-kid Ben Smith came on board just in time for the drama of the 2012 election. Suddenly the site known for articles like This Grandma And Her Cat Are The Cutest Best Friends Ever and 9 Most Controversial Salads was a must-read for political junkies, with trenchant articles from a stable of talented reporters, putting forward a mix of breaking scoops and in-depth features. They're probably still doing all that stuff, but now that the election is over, you're more interested in those salads.

6. Joe Biden stops emailing you

You can open your inbox without it being full of emails from the candidates or their campaign teams, usually exhorting you to dig deep into your pockets or give up some time to get people out to vote. Mitt Romney's final email on election day began with the words: "Friend, Polls are open for a few more hours. Your vote, and your outreach efforts, will determine the outcome. America's future is up to you."

7. Celebrities go back to selling you their perfume, not their political views

Celebrity endorsements have been a staple in American politics for sometime, and this year was no exception. Barack Obama managed to muster a longer line-up, with more A-listers, but the celebrity moment of the campaign definitely goes to Clint Eastwood for his soliloquy to an empty chair at the Republican National Convention. That may well be remembered, but the B-and-C-listers will vanish back into oblivion.

8. Election tat is piling up

It will be decades before the bog-standard mugs, badges, bumper stickers and posters of this campaign gain any significant value as collectors' items, says Steve Ferber an expert on political memorabilia. Campaigns have begun to charge for things which used to be given away for free, he says. There has also been an "amazing increase" in buyers from abroad, he says - especially from the UK, Germany and Australia, who are keen on Obama items.

9. You can say what you like on Facebook

Election time can create some awkward moments with friends and family on the other side of the political divide. Student Andrew Gordon-Seifert says most of the political chat among his friends was on Facebook, and things could get testy at times, with inflammatory political posts, and angry ripostes. He took care about what he would say politically - both online and in person - to keep the temperature down. Now it's over, "we can get back to not being so divided", he says.

10. The talk is all about 2016

In-between the fierce recriminations and soul-searching among the Republican Party, is speculation on who will run for the presidency in 2016 (Hillary Clinton versus Jeb Bush, is Politico's prediction). This future-gazing actually begins a few days before election day, says Karlyn Bowman with the conservative think tank, American Enterprise Institute. "We're polled out. Everyone is so exhausted, that people just want to turn to something new," she says. Many who live and breathe politics are now - with their source of sustenance suddenly gone - feeling a little deflated, she says. But the main sentiment is a kind of collective phew: "Everyone will say a prayer - not just for Thanksgiving, but that the campaign is over."

link

10 ways you know the US election is over

4. All the news is about this cliff thing

Lots of things get put on ice during election season, but this one will have to come out of the freezer soon. The "fiscal cliff" refers to a deadline of 31 December for Congress to agree on spending levels and tax rates. The Fitch ratings agency recently called it the "single biggest near-term threat to a global economic recovery". The word "bipartisanship" is one that has come out of the deep-freeze in the last couple of days. It will be needed.

:nod:

And of course I'm sure loads of people will blame Obama for this.

:shockandawe: there's actually other people involved in the "government" besides the President.

I was in Chicago this weekend and stayed with my friend in Hyde Park. That's where Obama's house is. It's really nice! But you can't go up to it because there's a Secret Service agent blocking the road 24/7.

I don't know why I shared that story but it seemed topical.

This poll really shows that Obama won the election. Most people still trust Obama that he is capable of doing his job as a president. Even if he's hard headed. :)

No it doesn't, because you've got a lot of foreigners voting who haven't the foggiest idea of what is actually happening in US politics

"Who's Romney?"

He's the evil guy who plans to start Word War III and end freedom as we know it. He hates woman and everyone else for that matter. He has absolutely no idea about anything and is really dumb. Well, at least that's what I heard from my friend...

I'm being sarcastic (if you didn't already know)

This poll really shows that Obama won the election.

lol if you say so LOL

People act like it's crazy to prep for civil war, but I don't think it's crazy to believe that people are going to eventually take up arms because their rights are being violated. lol.

lol.