✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Mylo Xyloto for Grammy 2013?

CdColdplay

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Muse won't win anything either. Their new album isnt that acclaimed and is a commercial flop. Too bad!

70/100 on metacritic, 8/10 by NME, 4 stars from the Guardian, 4 stars from Digital Spy, Debut at No.1 in 10 countries including UK and France and No.1 on 15 iTunes album charts, Peak at No.2 on Billboard 200, Certified Gold in six countries so far....

Man, calling The 2nd Law a commercial flop is a huge mistake, dude.

70/100 on metacritic, 8/10 by NME, 4 stars from the Guardian, 4 stars from Digital Spy, Debut at No.1 in 10 countries including UK and France and No.1 on 15 iTunes album charts, Peak at No.2 on Billboard 200, Certified Gold in six countries so far....

Good point but NME, Guardian, DSpy are UK base media. US media outlets don't like the album much. Even though the album debuted on top of the charts, it has zero staying power and the sales are disappointing (for a Muse album). The 2nd law might not even be Gold in the US, that's how low the sales numbers are.

I like Muse but this isn't their year.

Compare Muse's sales to Coldplay's, and they will seem like an indie band. Poor sales for the 2nd law (IMO a great album).

I hope Coldplay gets at least one (I doubt it), but if How To Desmantle an Atomic Bomb got nine grammy's, then I don't see why not.

how to dismantle was far from U2's best record but still, as an album it was brilliant. certainly deserved all the grammy

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want fun. to win AOTY! Some Nights is da best!

Also, Imagine Dragons' Night Visions should win next year's album of the year! It must!

My picks -

Big 4

Record of the Year

"Somebody That I Used to Know" – Gotye featuring Kimbra

Album of the Year

Some Nights – Fun

Song of the Year

"We Are Young"

Jack Antonoff, Jeff Bhasker, Andrew Dost & Nate Ruess, songwriters (Fun featuring Janelle Monae)

Best New Artist

Fun

Pop

Best Pop Solo Performance

"Wide Awake" – Katy Perry

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

"Shake It Out" – Florence and the Machine

Best Pop Instrumental Album

Rumbadoodle – Arun Shenoy

Best Pop Vocal Album

Ceremonials – Florence and the Machine

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album

Kisses on the Bottom – Paul McCartney

Dance/Electronica

Best Dance Recording

"Levels" - Avicii

Best Dance/Electronica Album

> Album Title Goes Here < – deadmau5

Rock

Best Rock Performance

"Charlie Brown" – Coldplay

Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance

"Whose Life (Is It Anyways?)" - Megadeth

Best Rock Song

"Madness"

Matthew Bellamy, songwriter (Muse)

Best Rock Album

The 2nd Law - Muse

Alternative

Best Alternative Music Album

Making Mirrors - Gotye

R&B

Best R&B Performance

"Adorn" - Miguel

Best Traditional R&B Performance

"If Only You Knew" - SWV

Best R&B Song

"Adorn"

Miguel Pimentel, songwriter (Miguel)

Best Urban Contemporany Album

Fortune - Chris Brown

Best R&B Album

Write Me Back - R. Kelly

Rap

Best Rap Performance

"Mercy" - Kanye West featuring Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz (Best Rap Song EVER [Nah just kidding{or am I?}])

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration

"No Church in the Wild" - Jay-Z and Kanye West featuring Frank Ocean & The-Dream

Best Rap Song

"Mercy"

Sean Anderson, Tauheed Epps, Stephan Taft, James Thomas, Terrence Thornton & Kanye West, songwriters (Denzie Beagle, Winston Riley & Reggie Williams, songwriters) (Kanye West featuring Big Sean, Pusha T & 2 Chainz)

Best Rap Album

Food & Liquor II: The Great American Rap Album. Pt. 1 - Lupe Fiasco

Music Video

Best Short Form Music Video

"Houdini" - Foster the People

Best Long Form Music Video

Radio Music Society - Esperanza Spalding

So in summary,

3 Grammys to

Fun and Kanye West

2 Grammys to

Gotye, Muse, Florence + the Machine

1 Grammy to

Coldplay, Katy Perry, Arun Shenoy, Lupe Fiasco, Foster the People, Esperanza Spalding, Paul McCartney, Avicii, deadmau5, Megadeth, SWV, Miguel, Chris Brown, R. Kelly

Good point but NME, Guardian, DSpy are UK base media. US media outlets don't like the album much. Even though the album debuted on top of the charts, it has zero staying power and the sales are disappointing (for a Muse album). The 2nd law might not even be Gold in the US, that's how low the sales numbers are.

I like Muse but this isn't their year.

Actually, The 2nd Law DIDN'T chart at the top in the U.S. No Muse album has ever charted at the top here.

They won for The Resistance in a weak field and for an album that finally broke them big success outside Europe. The 2nd Law won't win. Not to mention it's a poor album by them, even if it's not as terrible as Mylo Xyloto. Like I said, I expect Jack White or the Keys to clean house in every rock category.

Actually, The 2nd Law DIDN'T chart at the top in the U.S. No Muse album has ever charted at the top here.

They won for The Resistance in a weak field and for an album that finally broke them big success outside Europe. The 2nd Law won't win. Not to mention it's a poor album by them, even if it's not as terrible as Mylo Xyloto. Like I said, I expect Jack White or the Keys to clean house in every rock category.

I'm not sure I could agree with that. Every muse Album since Absolution has done relatively well in the US, and BHaR is generally considered the Album that broke them stateside.

In addition, although I doubt the 2nd Law will win, the same could have been easily said for the resistance, and I'm not sure how that could possibly have been considered a "weak field" seeing as every other nominee in that category that year was an act that is considered a music legend.

It's also worth pointing out that the nominated works by both Jack White and the Keys are both generally considered far from the best work that either of them has produced, so I wouldn't be so inclined to bet on either of them.

Honestly, I think the rock categories this year are a pick 'em as a pretty credible case can be made that most (all?) of the nominees could conceivably win.

All valid points, but let's face it - the Grammys are largely a popularity contest. Not entirely popularity-based, as indicated by the occasional upset like Arcade Fire AOTY, but still largely. Legends definitely have a vote bias merely because of who they are, and that's why I think The Boss has a good shot too. And I think that's what also propelled Muse to victory with The Resistance since the legend vote was entirely split among the other contenders, with Muse being the only option for younger act.

El Camino is obviously not The Black Keys' best album. Brothers won in 2011 and was a better album than El Camino, but was in far less categories. El Camino has propelled them to superstardom and the Keys have tons of momentum. I hate Mumford & Sons, but they have lots of momentum right now. While Coldplay's overall popularity is steady right now (i.e. "freaking huge"), MX didn't give them much in the way of momentum, with the singles generally charting poorly outside the UK in spite of sales being just fine and dandy.

All valid points, but let's face it - the Grammys are largely a popularity contest. Not entirely popularity-based, as indicated by the occasional upset like Arcade Fire AOTY, but still largely. Legends definitely have a vote bias merely because of who they are, and that's why I think The Boss has a good shot too. And I think that's what also propelled Muse to victory with The Resistance since the legend vote was entirely split among the other contenders, with Muse being the only option for younger act.

El Camino is obviously not The Black Keys' best album. Brothers won in 2011 and was a better album than El Camino, but was in far less categories. El Camino has propelled them to superstardom and the Keys have tons of momentum. I hate Mumford & Sons, but they have lots of momentum right now. While Coldplay's overall popularity is steady right now (i.e. "freaking huge"), MX didn't give them much in the way of momentum, with the singles generally charting poorly outside the UK in spite of sales being just fine and dandy.

True, but Coldplay have never really been that much of a singles band outside of the UK anyway, and if MX has an undisputed high point it's probably Charlie Brown. I could be wrong, but I don't think the Keys have quite enough momentum just yet to win a Grammy. Like you said it's a popularity/awareness contest, and they're still an alternative act (in the best sense of the word.) I think Jack White has the best shot TBH because he straddles the line between critical darling/mainstream awareness quite well and that's what wins Grammy's more than anything else.

I agree in some of your points. I think the Grammy's help artists by giving them promotion, but the fact that they don't have justin bieber, one direction, psy, etc is great evidence that they don't focus in popularity. I just think they are biased towards some artists.

BTW, what do you mean MX did poorly outside the UK? Yes, they didn't do that well in the U.S but in Latin America they did amazing even songs like Charlie Brown or Princess of China topped the radios. The same for Europe. Paradise was a huge hit in most countries.

Look at this chart and see the best selling albums of the year:

http://hallyu8.com/topic/29069-apparently-these-are-the-best-selling-albums-in-the-world-this-year/

But anyways, I'll like to add that I'm happy for the success of MX and the grammy's nominations, but I think other artists deserve it more this year. I'll be extremely happy if they win a grammy though :D

I want Charlie Brown to win. In my opinion it's the best song out of all in the list. Lonely Boy comes in a close second though.

But as for the album.. I love MX but I want Jack White's Blunderbuss to win it or The Black Keys' El Camino. I haven't listened to Muse's The 2nd Law so I'm not entitled to judge it.

I really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really want fun. to win AOTY! Some Nights is da best!

Also, Imagine Dragons' Night Visions should win next year's album of the year! It must!

Nights Visions is one of my 5 favorites albums this year and Im upset that they were not nominated. They certainly deserved it. They are critically acclaimed and their sales are very good (more than Muse)

Nights Visions won't be nominated next year because it was eligible this year. Now let's cross fingers for one of their upcoming singles to be nominated next year.

When I said "on top of the charts" I meant in general. When an album debuts in the top 5 of at least 3 countries, it's safe to say that it has debuted on top of th charts.

I also didn't say that they were going to win, read my earlier post. You're preaching to the choir!

I think Mumford&Sons (even though babel bored me) and Springsteen are going to clean up the Rock categories.

^I think professional judges judge it on the music only, not how popular it was. thats why there are no votes and stuff

I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I think the point was that the Grammys (like most awards really) are heavily political in terms of the voting.

Honestly, here's who'll probably win:

Record of the Year: We Are Young (fun. feat. Janelle Monae). However, I would also love to see Lonely Boy win as well.

Album of the Year: This is going to be very tough, but I'm gonna say that Some Nights will win. Again, if El Camino won, I'd be thrilled.

Best New Artist: Either fun. or Frank Ocean, but I can't really tell.

Now, for the Coldplay nominated awards:

Best Rock Performance: Lonely Boy definetly wins. This category is way too competitive for Coldplay this year, although CB may place 2nd in the voting (maybe).

Best Rock Album: Either El Camino or Blunderbuss, because they're also Album of the Year nominees, so it's definently one of the two. Unfortunately, Mylo doesn't stand a chance.

Sorry if I dissapointed anyone.

Honestly, here's who'll probably win:

Record of the Year: We Are Young (fun. feat. Janelle Monae). However, I would also love to see Lonely Boy win as well.

Album of the Year: This is going to be very tough, but I'm gonna say that Some Nights will win. Again, if El Camino won, I'd be thrilled.

Best New Artist: Either fun. or Frank Ocean, but I can't really tell.

Now, for the Coldplay nominated awards:

Best Rock Performance: Lonely Boy definetly wins. This category is way too competitive for Coldplay this year, although CB may place 2nd in the voting (maybe).

Best Rock Album: Either El Camino or Blunderbuss, because they're also Album of the Year nominees, so it's definently one of the two. Unfortunately, Mylo doesn't stand a chance.

Sorry if I dissapointed anyone.

Stranger things have happened. There have been other cases where records up for album of the year were beaten in best rock album, especially among nominees that didn't win either. I'd honestly prefer Muse to win again. ;)