✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[31-Dec-2012] Coldplay @ Barclays Center, New York, NY, USA

Tash

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay Z invites Gwyneth Paltrow and children up on stage as he rings in the new year with Coldplay... and racks up a £250,000 bar tab

For some it is the biggest night of the year and to usher 2013 in Jay-Z decided to invite his famous friends up on stage and rack up a £250,000 bar tab.

The 43-year-old was performing Barclays Center in Brooklyn when he asked Gwyneth Paltrow up on to the stage.

The rapper took to the stage during Coldplay's New Year's Eve gig at the venue and at the stroke of midnight the actress brought out Apple and Moses to dance on stage with their father Chris Martin.

article-0-16B57B42000005DC-100_634x456.jpg

Look who it is! Gwyneth Paltrow (bottom right) was seen on stage as Jay Z performed at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn

Chris used the moment to sing a song with his children and Apple's friend Sophia who also joined the group on stage.

Coldplay and Jay Z performed in front of a huge crowd and there were plenty of famous faces who stepped out to see the show.

Taylor Swift and her beau Harry Styles took in the show and Cheryl Cole and her boyfriend Tre Holloway were also part of the crowd.

article-0-16B57B67000005DC-124_634x507.jpg

Big count down: The rapper rang in 2013 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn and Coldplay also performs

article-0-16B57B4C000005DC-816_634x865.jpg

Dressed to impress: Jay-Z wore a smart navy tuxedo for the occasion

After the concert Jay-Z threw a mother of all after-parties at the venue with a specially-made lounge for the occasion.

And there certainly was no expense spared when it came to booze as the rapper spent more than £250,000 on champagne.

The 99 Problems rapper ordered hundreds of cases of Armaund de Brignac Gold bottles worth £300 each as well as a 30-litre Gold Midas bottle.

article-0-16B57B62000005DC-534_634x474.jpg

A problem? The rapper splashed out on £250,000 of champagne at the after-party of the concert

article-0-16B57B50000005DC-980_634x869.jpg

Look who it is: Bridget Kelly also made an appearance on stage

The huge drink is almost 4ft in height and weighs in at 100kg.

It's the largest champagne bottle size in existence and very rare as only a handful are made each year.One was sold last year in a London club for £120,000, and another was sold earlier this year in Playground Club, Liverpool for £125,000.

article-0-16B57BAF000005DC-844_634x800.jpg

It's one half of Haylor! Harry Styles was seen a the concert with his girlfriend Taylor Swift

article-0-16B57B57000005DC-19_634x521.jpg

Enjoying the free bar: Adrienne Bailon sipped on a cocktail at the backstage bar Jay-Z had set up

article-0-16B57B1C000005DC-83_634x930.jpg

Date night: Christina Aguilera and her man Matthew Rutler also attended the concert

link

Jay-Z, Coldplay Ring In 2013 With Epic Brooklyn Show

2673069-JayZ-NYE2013-GEtty-617.jpg

Jay-Z took the stage at Brooklyn, N.Y.'s Barclays Center at 11:59pm on New Year's Eve Monday night and rang in 2013 with Coldplay's Chris Martin singing along to "Auld Lang Syne." The singer and the rapper hugged, and then the stage was Jay's. In a double-bill show that took place half in one year and half in another, Coldplay -- who had the night's first set -- had been a riot of color and movement all over the arena, while Jay, in a dark tux, stood mostly alone on stage putting a laser focus on his rapid-fire rhymes.

Fans packed in to the arena well before Coldplay took the stage just before 10pm (celebs including Christina Aguilera and One Direction's Harry Styles were also in the house Monday night). Soon the Barclays was alight with the synchronized blinking of the multi-colored lights on the bracelets each concertgoer had been given upon entering. Chris Martin, here parked at a piano, there vaulting around the stage, was a blur of energy as the band's 15-song set launched whole-crowd sing-a-longs ("The Scientist," "Paradise"), confetti canons, and even a herd of world-map beach balls unleashed on the audience. For "Princess of China," Rihanna appeared only as a multi-armed image on the screens throughout the space, her part of the duet a mere recording. "Viva La Vida" and "Yellow," meanwhile, won over revelers with just the music itself.

Early on, Martin asked the crowd to "please have a good time," and "cherish the people you love." Nearing the end of the 80-minute set, during which Martin name checked Jay-Z a handful of times, the band appeared suddenly on a platform in the middle of the 100 level sections to sing the ballad "Us Against The World," for the times when you and yours "feel like you can take on anything." The group's trek through the fan-filled floor all the way back to the mainstage elicited growing cheers that only increased when they launched into "Clocks," it's circular piano part and Martins' cooing "oohs" drowned out by the audience. But the applause and whistles and yells of approval reached a crescendo when Jay-Z, casual in a white t-shirt, took the stage join Coldplay on "Lost."

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=998S0yJn_rg[/ame]

DJ Cassidy spun old school jams from Michael Jackson to Journey as the crew converted Coldplay's Technicolor graffiti'd backdrop into Jay-Z's simple, black stage and the clock ticked so close to midnight, the ringing in of the new year was almost an anti-climax. But at literally the last moment, Jay appeared in his dapper suit and counted down the last seconds to 2013.

But with 2012 over, Jay was just getting started as he rolled into a non-stop 25-song set that opened with "Run This Town."

"I don't know how I'm going to top 2012," Jay said, looking like he wasn't worried a bit and biting into "On to the Next One" as arms waved and yet another cheer went up. As "Hovi Baby," "Feelin' It," "I Just Wanna Love U (Give It To Me)," and especially "Izzo (H.O.V.A)" sped by, Jay rapped without seeming to take a breath, to barely stop, and making it all look easy, inspiring applause for every break when the music stopped and it was just his voice in a torrent of rhymes filling the whole arena alone.

"I want to thank you. You could have been anywhere in the world tonight. but you're here in the m***fu**kin' Barclays Center," he said, a New York native clearly proud to be part owner of the venue.

The only hint of his exertion was the sweat streaming down his face, but otherwise Hova held sway over the crowd, calling for waiving arms here, shouts there, bringing us up for "Big Pimpin'" before taking it down to quiet a serious moment. "I'm from Brooklyn, just thought I'd remind you we're going to rule the world in 2013. And in order to do that don't let anybody hold you back or put their anxieties or fears on you." And with that he had the whole crowd give the finger to the haters. He brought the mood all the way back up to deafening as he and everyone else boomed into "99 Problems," while he visited the front rows in style to give those fans a New Year's taste of his champagne, saying, "I want you to feel how I feel."

His set wasn't even half over. Over two dozen songs crammed into an hour and a half, as he continued with Rick Ross' "3 Kings," "Money Ain't a Thang" (which he originally did with Jermaine Dupri), G.O.O.D. Music's "Clique" and his own "Can I Get A…" and "La La La (Excuse Me Again)."

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qw-W0jA1i8[/ame]

Coldplay's Chris Martin joined Jay for a third time for "Heart of The City," Martin's tenor providing counterpoint to Hova's baritone rhymes. Chants of "Hova, Hova" erupted from the crowd unbidden as Jay-Z got to the "I came, I saw, I conquered" line from "Encore." Afterward, he hinted that New Year's Eve live in Brooklyn could become a tradition for him. "Our goal is to do this every year," he said. "2014, you gonna rock with us?"

With so many music celebs in town for the holidays and such a long tradition of guest spots at Jay-Z's shows, it was perhaps the biggest surprise of the night held no unannounced performers. Other than singer Bridget Kelly, who did the hook on a couple of tunes including Alicia Keys' half of the set-ending "Empire State of Mind," and the walk-on by Chris Martin, the spotlight was on Jay-Z during his set. That seemed to suit every ticketholder just fine.

"I really wouldn't want to be anywhere else to ring in 2013," Jay said as the clock ticked toward 1:30am, Radiohead's "Everything In Its Right Place" played in the background, and the show came to a close. "2012 was a major year for me, it was the birth of my beautiful daughter Blue, it was the birth of this building. Tonight I feel like I'm in the right place. I wish you the best 2013 possible. Peace and love."

link

The concert was pretty incredible. Crowd was mixed, young and old. Spotted a grandmother in the VIP section only to realize it was Blythe danner, gwyneth and the kids. Chris was waving several times to that section and once we saw grandma we laughed. Blythe looked good singing and dancing. Kids came out for the satellite stage for Us Against the World, couldn't see too much as it was just above us. The DJ was amazing. I don't usually dance but I didn't stop, the energy was super positive and everyone had a great time. Scared to see the super close up video my husband took of me dancing without me realizing. Lol

Excited to hear about everyone else's reviews. Didn't see Christina or Taylor but we were on the right side of the stage.

Stupid iPhone didn't capture my last section about ringing in NYE sorry. So the few did an incredible.job tearing down the mx set eve. One guy laminated the end of the stage for jayz. Unreal. So with one min to go before 2013, jay Chris the kids and gwyneth came out to dance. Gwyneth stayed on the side sipping champagne while the kids sat until we were al showered with a billion balloons, so many we couldn't move in our seats! Was really epic! Then Chris was dancing with the kids onstage with jayz. They went back to the VIP section with mom. Not sure when they we home but Chris came back out to do one more song with jayz. I knew about 60% of his songs, really entertaining. Jayz looks like a really nice guy sincere smile. Overall nice guy. Handed out two bottles of champagne to the front rows on either side.

Can't post pics or video till I get back home next weekend, but I was lucky enough to get upgraded to the 14th row after I stumbled across a guy asking an "usher"(?) near my section 226 for a seat upgrade. When he couldn't take it (his group was too big) I swooped in and got it (going solo isn't the greatest thing but there are some perks) Such a surreal moment, and some good karma as earlier in the day (and 12/30) my naive tourist self got ripped off a few times, haha.

Had a great time last night. First time to Barclays Center, everyone working there was super nice, unbelievably nice. Plenty of cute restaurants & bars in the neighborhood. My sister and I were wearing our homemade MX decorated neon yellow shirts and ran into two groups of people in their own MX shirts walking around the upper concourse trying to run into a roadie to get upgraded. Not sure if they are on CP, but one group said they were from DC and got upgraded for Sunday's show. I don't think any of us had such luck last night. My seats weren't terrible, first row in section 226. I'll see if I could get my thoughts down for a review of the show, I'm not good at stuff like that. I do have to say I got sad when the crew was talking away all the Coldplay stuff off the stage for Jay Z's set. The people next to us felt otherwise, lol.

Here's some shots, my camera is not that good for upper levels.

This was in the concourse:

IMG_2586-001.JPG

Special Xylobands:

IMG_2672.JPG

$75 FOR A SHIRT? Seriously, what the heck?

Supply and Demand

Whoever is making them must know that fans will pay $75 for a shirt, so they charge $75 for a shirt. If it doesn't sell out and they have to reduce it to say $35 then they know they can't charge $75 and get away with it.

Sadly the wealthy fans are to blame as well, by feeding the greed.