✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Will Ghost Stories be the bands flop album?

Bazza101

Over the past 2 years, There has been a number of very significant bands to climb up the charts. For example Arctic Monkeys had monumental success with "AM" last year and Vampire Weekend had the album of their careers. Seeing "Magic" get released with much uncertainty has brought the question , are they slipping from their highest of heights?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghost Stories could be one of the greatest albums, but maybe not the best of the year. However, I'd say Magic is the best song of the year though...considering people enjoying the song and gaining more popularity I guess.

Over the past 2 years, There has been a number of very significant bands to climb up the charts. For example Arctic Monkeys had monumental success with "AM" last year and Vampire Weekend had the album of their careers. Seeing "Magic" get released with much uncertainty has brought the question , are they slipping from their highest of heights?

I'm still not sure how you're coming to the conclusion that GS might flop. Nothing about this era points to it being a flop.

Promo the LP with TV appearances? Check

Create an hour long concert preview broadcasting worldwide? Check

Tracks (that we've heard) are of good quality? Check

First officially released songs are doing well in the charts? Check

Hype up the band with Chris being in the news (separation, guest judge on The Voice)? Check

Obviously with 5 albums already, each with their own distinct sound and feel, it's going to be very interesting to see how this album comes together as a whole. I highly doubt this album will be a flop though considering the new material has already been received nicely! I think Magic is one of their best songs and the other songs we've heard have set my hopes high for GS! :)

I'm still not sure how you're coming to the conclusion that GS might flop. Nothing about this era points to it being a flop.

Promo the LP with TV appearances? Check

Create an hour long concert preview broadcasting worldwide? Check

Tracks (that we've heard) are of good quality? Check

First officially released songs are doing well in the charts? Check

Hype up the band with Chris being in the news (separation, guest judge on The Voice)? Check

I know exactly what you mean. However if you compare the success of their past two albums and the promotional strategies along with it, Ghost Stories has been highly outclassed. Viva La Vida Or Death And All Of His Friends had itunes commercials, live concerts all throughout Europe, the release of a very catchy song (violet Hill), magazine interviews. The first released song of Ghost stories which was Midnight, was met with very critical comments and in my opinion i thought it wasn't a very Coldplay like record. MX was eye catching. I think Coldplay has to much to compete with these days. Their direction into an ambient influenced album comes into questioning to, would coldplay be more successful if they made a alt rock/garage rock album?

At this point, I don't think Coldplay needs to do it. I think they just need a big hit to make a difference. Magic makes Violet Hill look bad commercially since it charted well in the UK and US. If ASFOS goes #1 like I think it will, then that makes all those magazine articles and european tour dates look small. It's why Viva did so when records dont sell much. With that said, I don't think Coldplay cares much if it beats out Viva or not. This was a personal album for them and I think their nexr album which will be released sooner then later, will be a big return of old Coldplay (not really) but enough to make critics swoon and THAT will be their next big album.

I don't think it will be a flop. I think that they're earlier stuff is better though(parachutes through Viva). I think this album has a lot of potential and I think it will top MX which also wasn't really a flop. It was a decline but that doesn't mean it was a flop. I love how they a still with to push their boundaries and do new things!

At this point, I don't think Coldplay needs to do it. I think they just need a big hit to make a difference. Magic makes Violet Hill look bad commercially since it charted well in the UK and US. If ASFOS goes #1 like I think it will, then that makes all those magazine articles and european tour dates look small. It's why Viva did so when records dont sell much. With that said, I don't think Coldplay cares much if it beats out Viva or not. This was a personal album for them and I think their nexr album which will be released sooner then later, will be a big return of old Coldplay (not really) but enough to make critics swoon and THAT will be their next big album.

Exactly, it seems as if they knew Magic would do this well in the US and especially Australia, which can make a second single look even better if it's good enough. But the reason why i liked Coldplay originally was that they were a very very good alt rock band around 5-10 years ago, it seems as if they just want all the fame. Ghost Stories is a risk being that fans might think it's different but Coldplay know it will do well in the charts because it's more electric. This also makes me feel that they didn't want to risk doing something completely wild like a guitar driven album which i personally would love. Ghost Stories will no doubt be successful but will it stay in the charts as long as their previous albums did? Only good reviews make that happen.

I highly doubt it but I'm not sure that it matters whether or not it is, to be honest. The quality of it is what I care about and I believe many others feel the same way. It could miss charting altogether and sell 300,000 copies but if it's an amazing album than what's the relevance? In terms of Ghost Stories, I do get the feeling it will be ranked sixth in my eyes when I've taken it in, at least from the six songs we've heard so far.

It's probably the fact that we all know this is definitely not Coldplay's best work, but that's just a matter of opinion i guess

Well... maybe some think that its the best they made, some think MX is their best, but who i'm i to say they cant think MX is the best, its personal opinion.

It's probably the fact that we all know this is definitely not Coldplay's best work, but that's just a matter of opinion i guess

I don't know about that, at least imo:

AROBTTH: 87/110 79%

Clocks: 10/10

The Scientist: 9.5/10

Politik: 9.5/10

Amsterdam: 9/10

AROBTTH: 9/10

In My Place: 8.5/10

GPASUYF: 8/10

Warning Sign: 7.5/10

Daylight: 7/10

Green Eyes: 6/10

A Whisper: 3/10

Ghost Stories: 49/60 81%

AIMH: 10/10

Midnight: 9/10

Oceans: 8.5/10

ASFOS: 8.5/10

Magic: 7/10

Another's Arms: 6/10

Now this is in my opinion of course, but if three songs we haven't heard, Ink, True Love, and O are all relatively solid, then GS imo will be around AROBTTH.

I don't know about that, at least imo:

AROBTTH: 87/110 79%

The Scientist: 9.5/10

In My Place: 8.5/10

GPASUYF: 8/10

Warning Sign: 7.5/10

Daylight: 7/10

Green Eyes: 6/10

A Whisper: 3/10

Ghost Stories: 49/60 81%

AIMH: 10/10

ASFOS: 8.5/10

Magic: 7/10

Another's Arms: 6/10

Now this is in my opinion of course, but if three songs we haven't heard, Ink, True Love, and O are all relatively solid, then GS imo will be around AROBTTH.

I'd say it's more like

AROBTTH: 97/110 88%

The Scientist: 10/10

Amsterdam: 9.5/10

In My Place: 9/10

GPASUYF: 8.5/10

Warning Sign: 9.5/10

Daylight: 6/10

Green Eyes: 9/10

A Whisper: 7/10

Ghost Stories: 43.5/60 73%

AIMH: 8.5/10

ASFOS: 6.5/10

Magic: 3/10

Another's Arms: 8/10

The problem is that it's completely subjective. :( In my scale we'd need a whole lot more than relatively solid songs to even come short of ARoBttH

Fair enough, I mean a big difference between mine and yours isn't Ghost stories being worse, but A rush being better in your eyes than mine. Personally, Viva has a much higher percentage, but I think magic and ASFOS are the only two pop stuff in the album (which I don't mind), so eventually it will even out to about 78-80 for Ghost stories, at least for what I think u like. All in all, it could be SOOO much worse.

Well this is my opinion

AROBTTH: 97/110 (88%)

Politik: 10/10

In My Place: 10/10

The Scientist: 9/10

GPASUYF: 9/10

AROBTTH: 8/10

Warning Sign: 8/10

Daylight: 8/10

Green Eyes: 8/10

A Whisper: 8/10

Ghost Stories: 53/60 (88%)

Midnight: 10/10

ASFOS: 10/10

AIMH: 9/10

Magic: 9/10

Oceans: 8/10

Another's Arms: 7/10

Promising! (But of course I need to hear the GS studio versions to properly compare)

Fair enough, I mean a big difference between mine and yours isn't Ghost stories being worse, but A rush being better in your eyes than mine. Personally, Viva has a much higher percentage, but I think magic and ASFOS are the only two pop stuff in the album (which I don't mind), so eventually it will even out to about 78-80 for Ghost stories, at least for what I think u like. All in all, it could be SOOO much worse.

That's true, I am partial to A Rush and I agree, Viva deserves a very high percentage, up there around 90% as well. And of course, I am very grateful to hear something like Oceans or Always in My Head after fearing for awhile that the rest of the songs would be like Magic. Still, I miss Chris's songwriting talent and the imaginative, abstract lyrics from the previous two albums. :/

(But of course I need to hear the GS studio versions to properly compare)

This is a very good point, I suppose we can't say much for sure until then. I'm not thrilled how the drums on AiMH sound stripped down compared to the live version, let my man Will play! :will: