✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Will Ghost Stories be the bands flop album?

Bazza101

i think viva la vida the album was not polarizing. i think there is a perception that viva was a polariaizing album because its a coldplay album. Its Coldplay the band that is polarizing.

even those critics that have traditionally slagged off and dismissed coldplay as a joke praised viva la vida, but not by much, it feels like they were forced to give it a favorable review just becaise of the fact that its that good and they cant accept the fact that it was done by coldplay. critics have their biases thats why historically coldplay has been underrated in tersm of their albums

Bravo! You hit the nail right there! Just read pitchforks review for example. You'll think the rating would be positive if you read the critique essay only, but they give it a 6.9 somehow.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo! You hit the nail right there! Just read pitchforks review for example. You'll think the rating would be positive if you read the critique essay only, but they give it a 6.9 somehow.

6.9 is actually fairly high by Pitchfork standards. :laugh3:

Pls can you research first before making theories or statements about FLOPS or what not unless you have full concrete facts about charts or knowledge?...

Magic is doing well for a first single and to coldplays standards its doing great.. they are not single sellers but album sellers...

and usually their 2nd singles are the hit singles (VLV, Paradise) wait for ASFOS then youll notice the pattern.. I know a lot about music charts and Im telling you magic is doing good.

After tonights show on bbc I'm actually convinced this will be their best, like zane said, an extension of parachutes plus their modern and new skills + influences. I'm 100000x more exited for this album than MX. Loved that era but the album was the least good one imo

Coldplay have had outstandingly large numbers of #1 hot-shot debuts since X&Y and have never had an album peak below #1 on the UK albums chart. Even Parachutes. I highly doubt Ghost Stories is going to flop. It's going to be in the top three, if not another hot-shot #1, in a number of countries once again.

The big misconception is that albums will flop or become huge successes simply because it's good or not. The music industry does not work like that at all. Albums are bought and sold like any other product. People are mostly going to buy Ghost Stories because it's an album by Coldplay and they like Coldplay's music.

I think "flop" has to be defined before anything can be labeled.

Album sales were a beast when Parachutes was released, it was really a different world in music. With streaming services that continue to gain popularity, album sales as a whole are down like 15% from last year. You can't compare previous albums when shit like Spotify and such didn't even exist from Parachutes through Viva.

However, I do think Ghost Stories has a lot of potential. With the downward trends of sales, even matching MX would be a win.

I think "flop" has to be defined before anything can be labeled.

Album sales were a beast when Parachutes was released, it was really a different world in music. With streaming services that continue to gain popularity, album sales as a whole are down like 15% from last year. You can't compare previous albums when shit like Spotify and such didn't even exist from Parachutes through Viva.

However, I do think Ghost Stories has a lot of potential. With the downward trends of sales, even matching MX would be a win.

Always the best way to tackle any question. With that being said, I don't see this album flopping in any sense of the word. I predict it will do well commercially and critically.

Coldplay has a pretty loyal fanbase. When people hear coldplay they know it will be quality. I had people tell me they were buying MX even though they haven't heard songs off of it because they know coldplay always brings quality to their music. I don't think coldplay will have a "flop" album. People have faith in them.

With ASFOS on top of the iTunes charts in more than 60 countries and Magic and Midnight continuing to do well, i highly doubt that the album will flop because it will appeal to people looking for old school Coldplay, it will appeal to EDM fans and also to people who like Coldplay but say that they should "do something different" (i get the feeling that a lot of people think that all old Coldplay songs sound the same)

After tonights show on bbc I'm actually convinced this will be their best, like zane said, an extension of parachutes plus their modern and new skills + influences. I'm 100000x more exited for this album than MX. Loved that era but the album was the least good one imo

I share the same opinion :)

I have no doubt that this album will debut at #1 and sell several 100k copies in a week. However, with that said I still think it'll be their least successful album to date. I also don't think it'll be their highest rated album ether, but we'll see.