✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ghost Stories by the numbers

Mackplay

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt 365k in the first week in the usa quite low? Im sure MX sold 550k in its first week there?

I hope they get number 1 in the uk here Number 1 in both the uk and usa hopefully

Oh, nothing to worry about, it looks set to top the charts in both countries :)

Oh, nothing to worry about, it looks set to top the charts in both countries :)

I know but i read that some duo are catching them up in the uk. And most people have bought the album now so i hope that duo dont get number 1 instead

There's nothing to worry about. Ghost Stories is the fastest selling album of the year in the UK and in the US which means they will have the biggest opening of the year so far.

MX opened in the US with 447K, GS will open close or around 400K. That is very good since albums sales have plummeted in the last few years. No other albums in the US have been able to sell over 290K this year. And with A Sky Full Of Stars taking off, the album should have more longevity than MX.

Updating the OP with new achievements:

--Coldplay getting their 3 rd top10 ever in the US and their first #1 on the Billboard Hot Rock Songs.

Also going to update with these new chart peaks:

on the Billboard Hot100:

ASFOS #10 (I still can't believe this. Amazing)

Magic #14 and Midnight #29.

on the Billboard Hot Rock Songs:

ASFOS #1, Magic #3 and Midnight #6

This is the first time ever that Cokdplay has had 3 songs in the top30. This is an amazing feat. This is also the first time they've had 3 songs in the top10. Very impressive.

Ghost Stories is doing amazing!!!!

the problem with GS is that ASFOS is the only hit, the others are too low key to get the same attention as ASFOS

MX had Charlie Brown, Paradise, ETIAW and POC

MX opening numbers being higher than GS opening numbers (this isn't official yet by the way) could be attributed to the fact that when MX was released, Paradise was already a hit song while ASFOS is just starting to chart.

True Love and O (piano ballads have been very popular lately with Someone Like You, When I was Your Man by Bruno Mars, Stay by Rihanna and All Of Me by John Legend) could become big hits but we'll have to wait and see.

the problem with GS is that ASFOS is the only hit, the others are too low key to get the same attention as ASFOS

MX had Charlie Brown, Paradise, ETIAW and POC

its not all about high pumping energy kicking singles

O has potential and Ink too

id say

3rd single : O

4th if ever: Ink or Another Arms

MX opening numbers being higher than GS opening numbers (this isn't official yet by the way) could be attributed to the fact that when MX was released, Paradise was already a hit song while ASFOS is just starting to chart.

True Love and O (piano ballads have been very popular lately with Someone Like You, When I was Your Man by Bruno Mars, Stay by Rihanna and All Of Me by John Legend) could become big hits but we'll have to wait and see.

actually, Paradise took ages to really take off, it only became a hit after MX was alredy out, by the time of the release it was in the middle of the UK top 40, kinda like Magic

Ghost Stories debuted at #1 in Australia (now certified Gold), in New Zealand (also Gold after only a week), in Norway and in Ireland. It's #1 everywhere!!!

More updates coming later...

it's #3 in Croatia (international albums), #30 in Poland, #1 in Belgium (Flanders and Wallonia). It debuted at #2 in Netherlands.

In Italy, Magic is #2 and ASFOS is #1.

Ghost Stories has also been officially certified Gold in the UK for selling over 100K albums in 2 days.

ASFOS spends a third week in the Worlwide Top Songs charts top10 with 149000 points. Magic is #12 with 138000 points.

Finally, industry insiders are now predicting that Ghost Stories will sell between 370-390K copies in the US. This number can still go up due to the weekend boost. On Tuesday, the sales predictions were 325-350K. So it's doing really well. Bravo Coldplay!!

They only need one more number 1 to equal The Beatles record in the UK for perfect 7's :D

Could you elaborate on this a little more? Is that record first seven albums to peak at number one or first seven albums to debut at number one?

Could you elaborate on this a little more? Is that record first seven albums to peak at number one or first seven albums to debut at number one?

First seven to debut at number one.

Can't believe it, they look set to match the Beatles #1 UK album record with their next album. And if the album after that is successful, they'll surpass the record. Wow. Keane has a 100% record as well, for 4/4 albums debuting at #1 in the UK.

I forgot to mention that A Sky Full Of Stars debuted at #15 in the UK which is great. The song will be officially released on June 30th in the UK. Hopefully we'll get new remixes, an acoustic version and the video.