✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ghost Stories by the numbers

Mackplay

Just saw this. Let me read. Thank you

Edit: Excellent article. I have 2 corrections (probably just a typo): the US certifications for Viva and MX are wrong but the others are right.

Ghost Stories will have the biggest opening week of 2014 so far and it seems to be selling more than MX. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

We'll have first predictions about the US sales on Tuesday.

Curious if people have heard anything from the album played on U.S radio? I've yet to hear anything.... You'd think we would.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld

I care very little for numbers like these but it is always nice to see a British act which writes and performs their own music dominating the music charts.

Curious if people have heard anything from the album played on U.S radio? I've yet to hear anything.... You'd think we would.

I heard ASFOS for the first time tonight.

Edit:

US Pop radio (which represents 80% of radio) didn't really support Magic. It peaked at 32 on Adult Pop stations but Coldplay's core formats (Alternative and Adult Alternative) loved Magic. It peaked at #6 on Alternative and #1 on Adult Alternative. This resulted in a total of 12-13 millions listeners which is low compared to the big songs that Scand over 200 millions in airplay audience.

However, the nature of A Sky Full Of Stars makes it very likely to be a huge radio hit. It has a huge crossover appeal.

A Sky Full Of Stars airplay as of this morning was around 1.9 millions. This is just the beginning. I'll keep you updated. So radio support hasn't been terrific but there is nothing to be worried about (at least for now).

It doesnt really matter what the critics say or how the album is perceived by the media, it only matters about sales and it looks like the boys are smashing it.

Lets hope they sell more this week than they did in the first week of MX.

Ghost Stories is predicted to sell between 325-350K in the USA this week. This is a VERY EARLY estimate. It will probably be more than that. But in any case, it's guaranted to be the biggest release of the year in the US.

Updated with:

Achievements:

--GS topping over 100 itunes stores. It's the 2nd album to do so (first one was BEYONCE)

--GS selling 82K in the UK in 24hours

I also updated some of the charts peaks for MAgic and ASFOS.

Posted this on the Coldplaying Facebook page

Chart update (UK) : Ghost Stories has sold 82,400 copies on the *first* day of release, this includes a large amount of pre-orders. MX sold 122,508 on the first *two* days. It would be a great achievement in this declining sales climate if Ghost Stories was near MX after 2 days!

Coldplay are on track for their sixth UK Number 1 album with Ghost Stories, while former Beautiful South duo, Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott, are hot on their heels

Coldplay look set to knock Michael Jackson off the top of the Official Albums Chart this weekend.

Up to midnight last night, the group’s new studio album, Ghost Stories, has sold over 105,000 sales since it was released on Monday (May 19), according to the Official Charts Company’s sales data.

The album is on track to become Coldplay’s sixth UK Number 1 on Sunday, following 2000’s Parachutes, 2002’s A Rush Of Blood To The Head, 2006’s X&Y, 2008’s Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends and 2011’s Mylo Xyloto, which have sold more than 11.1 million copies between them in the UK alone.

In related news, Ghost Stories will also become the UK’s fastest selling artist album of 2014. Based on its current momentum, Ghost Stories will overtake the opening week tally of current record holder, Caustic Love by Paolo Nutini (109,000) in the next 24 hours.

Source: http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-news/coldplays-ghost-stories-smashes-through-100000-sales-in-48-hours-3029/

Ghost Stories is now predicted to sell between 340K and 360K in the US. Yesterday it was predicted to sell between 325 and 350K.

Let's hope that the numbers keep rising. This is already amazing but I want them to sell over 400K

yeah! didnt expect this at all probably dueto streaming! It should go TOp 5 nextweek?

I forgot about streaming counting in the US charts, doesn't over here (yet anyway!) 3rd top ten hit in the US, nice going! :D