✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Ink - your review

Sparky

I am compiling an ultimate Coldplaying fan review of Ghost Stories.

It will be posted on the main site shortly after the best review for each song on the album is picked, your name will be listed in credit should your review be chosen! Closing date is Monday 26th May

Get your writing fingers ready! Good luck! :)

You can also vote in the poll too, out of 10 which will be interesting as its usually only when a pre-album single is released.

I'm listening to Ink as we speak. I've loved Ink since the beginning but now I realise, this song might be one of their best since the Viva era in my opinion. It's a mix of Strawberry Swing, Rainy day, Magic and the classic Coldplay. Jonny's riff is lovely, Guy has some really nice bass lines and the drums are mostly acoustic (not electronic) The lyrics are simple but beautiful. It's a classic Coldplay song, upbeat, relaxed and meaningful. I particulary love the ''Yeah's'' and the Will's parts. He really has a lot of beautiful vocals in this song. That's all I can say about this song. Beautiful, piece of art.

9/10

Amazing upbeat drums start this song, accompanied by an acoustic guitar with an incredibly catchy tune. Chris vocals soar and probably it is the rhythm that captures anyone's attention. The lyrics are not so great and quite depressing considering the music behind, but still the song achieves to be one of the greatest on the album. It is a new type of love declaration for Coldplay. The climax comes with the last verse (I see the road begin to climb...). This indeed are four friends just making great music and all I know, is that I love this song, so much it hurts.

9/10.

Ink is an unexpected track on Ghost Stories as a solid, upbeat, and slinky pop song. A surprising array of instrumentation dances around a light drumbeat as Chris, like on the single Magic, convincingly delivers ambiguous and cheesy lyrics of love and loss in perfect pop-star form. Much more than other tracks, Ink feels like an audible jam session that delves into more light-hearted and worldly sounds, which not entirely unique in the context of music, or fitting in the context of the album, still makes it a stand out.

8/10

When I first heard Ink, I instantly thought "Viva". I must admit, the lyrics of Ink are perhaps the weakest on the album, but the music and general feeling of the song more than makes up for that. Coldplay do what they do best on Ink- provide a catchy riff/hook. The closest comparison I could make with the riff of Ink would be Strawberry Swing, and that definitely isn't a bad thing. Whilst some would say that ASFOS is the "uplifting" song of the album, I personally would put Ink forward for that accolade, because it approaches love and heartbreak with a youthful and naive mentality, which is refreshing compared to the rest of the album. Also credit to Will, because his drumming on Ink is perhaps his best of the album.

8/10

I find it a real upbeat surprise on the album, something that I wasn't expecting. Even though the lyrics are pretty weak (especially at the start in my opinion) it is the song that I find myself playing again and again. I imagine it will be the next single and do quite well, it's certainly one of the more radio friendly tracks and I think it will be great live in-between some Viva/AROBTTH songs.

8/10

I have to admit that i had my doubts about Ink upon first listening to it but it was definitely a grower for me, the more i listened to it, the more i fell in love with its catchy riffs and lovely lyrics, now, it's the song i have listened to the most since the streaming became available because it just puts me in such a good mood and has the two things that i look for the most in their songs: good, top-quality music and lyrics that go well with that, i can't help but hum along to that last part because its just so catchy, i seriously think that it could become one of my favourite Coldplay songs.

Ink best reminds me of one of those songs you would hear in the background of a market. But that’s not necessarily a bad thing. There is a lot to like on this song and that is mostly thanks to Martin and Champion. The only negative I have of Ink is that Buckland and Berryman don’t make as much of a contribution as the previous two songs.

Champion starts off with one of his catchiest drum beats on the album and it is becoming apparent by now that he has ditched his acoustic drums for a complete electronic set. I am not complaining as I find it adds a new element to an already multi talented musician.

If there is one guaranteed success in a Coldplay, you're always going to find it in Martin on the acoustic guitar. That’s where the main drive of this song come from. It's nothing too complex and it adds a relaxing charm to the song. Once again, we have a song that mainly features a subtle arrangement of synthesizers but as Martin and Champion play away, the sounds of a flute (?) join in the mix.

The chorus, which features Martin and Champion singing in harmony, is one of the album highlights. The lyrics are so simple and direct - “All I know is that I’m lost whenever you go / All I know is that I love you so much that it hurts”. Therefore, this allows listeners to truly take in the music and not get too worried about what Martin is singing about. Obviously, the song is also about separation but what makes this track so unique is how surprisingly upbeat it is.

Having said that, the rest of the lyrics are slightly corny (especially the opening lyric - “Got a tattoo that said 2gether thru life”) but that doesn’t take away from what could be the the most underrated song on the album. It is a joyful song and listeners should enjoy this rare glimpse of positivity on an otherwise melancholy album.

RATING - 4/5

Ink captivated me from the off. It's catchy guitar and simple drums emphasise the melody that Chris sings some heartfelt lyrics to. The chorus hits a chord for me, as I have felt "that" feeling, as has most of the world. However the best bit of the whole song for me is the little "do do do's" in the chorus. For me, they make the song.

9/10

"Ink"

I really disliked this song at first. But now I think "Ink" probably will be with me on this summer. Acoustic guitar, upbeat melody and Will's voice - that's all you need to spend sunny days with. And I love the theme of the song - tattoo. I think it's great.

This song just doesn't do it for me. Chris is most successful lyrically when he talks straight from the heart-- and I mean that literally. "Straight" from the heart. Whenever he fogs up his message with basic and cheesy metaphors, it doesn't do the song any justice. Chris should be more aware of the fact that he's not a master poet, and just be honest. That's why songs like Always In My Head or True Love are more emotionally engaging than a song like Ink; in those songs, Chris is just speaking from the heart.

The production of the song is pretty average as well. I'm not saying it's a bad song. It's just not as strong as the others.

The guitar melody is one of the catchiest and prettiest things Coldplay has yet to make. Ink, as a whole, is a quiet, reminiscent song that pulls you in quickly and catches your attention. It took a few listens before I really, truly appreciated the song, however. The drum beat at the beginning before the introduction sort of had me unenthusiastic on my first playthrough of the album, and it stayed like that for too long. Someone on here soon after the release pointed out it was very much like Strawberry Swing mixed with Rainy Day and suddenly, my eyes were opened, and I came to really enjoy Ink for what it is.

4/5

A soft song with a silent yet powerful buildup at the same time,the humming and ghosly guitars add up a great feel.Its a song that doesn't load up your ears.I have to agree with getithom that the drums at the beginning didn't fit,i bet eveyone had the same feel on first listen. i gave it a 10/10 nontheless.

Ink- Awesome upbeat song to change the pace on the album with a super catchy guitar. Its very modern in its approach with a hint of the magic that Coldplay produces. The final minute ends the song in a great manner making it one of the gems of Ghost Stories.

9.5/10.

best song on the album! :dance: seriously considering getting a tattoo that says "2gether thru life" :thinking:

also found this, obviously not official but someone apparently thought it'd be good for this song if it went single :p

coldplay-ink.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's still a grower for me and definitely the weakest on the album, the song I skip if my car journey is only a short one! It lets itself down lyrically but the music behind it is 'pleasant'.

It could have been a lot better, but because its Coldplay, I will listen to it and force myself to love it - eventually :D

• 2 weeks later...

This song might very well be my favorite song off the whole album (this or Midnight)! I like how it's low key yet it's still a little up beat at the same time! The lyrics are pretty simple yet that contributes to the rich melodies very well! All I know is that I love this song so much that it hurts! I'd give it a 8/10