✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Glastonbury Festival 2015

Column – Glastonbury Festival 2015: time for Elton John?

With the dust just settled for another year – actually after the first downpour on Friday there was only a muddy sludge at the festival this year and much of that still seems to be attached to my boots – the annual game of predicting who will headline the next Glastonbury is already in full swing.

The race for breaking the names of the three acts who’ll top the Pyramid Stage in 2015 is already gathering pace, not least because the organisers say they pretty much have the them all booked. “Believe it or not, we’ve nearly confirmed all three headliners,” Emily Eavis told the festival’s website. “I couldn’t be happier with how it’s shaping up.” And there are plenty of artists already in the frame. William Hill have Kate Bush and Oasis as 8-1 favourites – although as Noel Gallagher, who was actually there as a punter this year, seems a better bet for a solo set at 10-1 – while AC/DC, Foo Fighters, Coldplay and U2 all make up the early running, probably in large part due to expected album releases and world tours next year.

However as the Eavis family have repeatedly proved they’re happy to go off piste when it comes to headliners, so let’s chuck a different name into the ring and ask, isn’t it time Elton John headlines Glastonbury?

After sets from Paul McCartney, The Rolling Stones, Stevie Wonder and Bruce Springsteen in recent years, The Rocket Man seems to be a classic shaped gap on the event’s dance card.

Partly his absence from festival folklore can be explained by the fact the musical knight hasn’t really been keen to play Worthy Farm in the past. In 2005 he told Scottish DJ/producer Mylo in a joint interview for The Guardian (it was a different time) he was “too much like the Queen Mother” to headline the event.

“I think there are some things best left to younger people,” he added. “I think Coldplay are headlining Glastonbury this year. I played live with them once and the audience knew every word of every song. [huffily] That never happens with me.”

However that was before he topped the bill at Bestival in 2013, and perhaps playing the Isle Of Wight event has opened the door to Glastonbury. “I had the best time there, I had the best crowd, we played really well, the crowd were unbelievable I’ve never had response like that in Britain in the whole of my career, so it was definitely one of the most memorable things we’ve ever done,” he admitted to Radio 2 afterwards. “I was very reluctant to play a festival, I haven’t played one since 1969 in Crumlin near Halifax and I was talked into it and thank God I was because it shows you don’t know what’s good for you sometimes!”

Well Glastonbury would be good for you too, Elton. William Hill quoted Q odds of 12-1 for him doing it next year, but better still while we were in Somerset at the weekend we heard several whispers from those who lived near Pilton saying that in recent weeks Elton John’s management had been making enquiries about renting houses in the area for next June (although if Rocket Music are looking for a base so fellow client Empire Of The Sun can play a glorious full show set at Worthy Farm this correspondent would be very happy with that), suggesting that finally, Saturday night could well be alright for headlining.

source: http://www.qthemusic.com/3696/column-glastonbury-2015-its-time-for-elton-john/

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing for sure, when the tickets go on sale in October without any bands confirmed, they will sell out within 60 minutes.

And unlike other events, due to the registration system put in place (where each ticket has your picture and details printed on it), touts for Glastonbury are ultra-rare so the tickets go to proper fans & festival lovers.

Glastonbury is an experience, I would recommend to anybody, the music is just a part of the experience

• 2 months later...

Got through to payment with much difficulty and then it completely crashed :(

At the moment I'm not even sure I'd be able to go anyway, but I will definitely know by April (or May?) when the re-sale happens! Congrats to the lucky ones who already have tickets!

Who are the artists by the way? Sometimes I feel like it's not worth it if I'm going to see other artists that I dont even know the songs are :P

Probably Coldplay one and only are the best bet :)

The lineup will be announced in the Spring, so far we've only got those rumours about Coldplay or other potential headliners but that's really it

The line-up hasn't been announced yet. But I SERIOUSLY hope Coldplay are there! :D

Knowing the rumor about lp7, there may be a chance of them performing. Who knows, if you are lucky then it will be worth the price :D

The lineup will be announced in the Spring, so far we've only got those rumours about Coldplay or other potential headliners but that's really it

Back to some 'business' again :P, everybody is paying for the gig, no one knows who is going to perform till the near time, then all of the sudden its gonna be between people will be at the disappointment or so much happiness cause of the price worthy thing. Will see how it goes!

• 2 months later...

bumpitybump.

found this on eFestivals. Interesting, especially because they said this instead of "nah we won't do festivals next year" So, what do you think? should we get our hopes up for the other festivals?

Spoke to coldplay last night [at the GS art exhibition] they said they are deffo not playing as it was too soon since they last played. Pushed them saying that Emily would tell them to deny it if anyone asked but they said no really not playing next year.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/186474-headliners-2015/?p=4515320

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone!!! Hope you're doing well. Soooo I'm from Mexico and I got tickets for this year's Glastonbury!!! :) I'm so excited and though I will go no matter what the line up is (it's always good)... there's a part of me who would love COLDPLAY to headline, since they're my favorite band and I haven't been to their shows since New Years Eve 2012 in New York....

Do you guys know if Coldplay are headlining or when will we know? I'm so anxious and can't wait. with LP7 announced I really hope they make their big comeback to glasto!

• 2 weeks later...

RUMOUR:

a head full of dreams on the Pyramid Stage

Coldplay-Glastonbury2011-CSM12.jpg

eFestivals is confident that one of the acts which will be headline this year's Glastonbury Festival, topping the Pyramid Stage line-up for a third time, will be Coldplay.

With last year's ‘Ghost Stories’ firmly behind them, the band who have previously appeared at the Festival in 1999, 2000, 2002, 2005, and 2011, are expected to release their seventh album this summer, tentatively titled ‘A Head Full Of Dreams’.

West Country born singer Chris Martin has hinted at the band undergoing a conscious ‘unrockulating’ and a farewell tour possibly putting band into hiatus afterwards. Last year he told BBC Radio 1, "It’s our seventh thing, and the way we look at it, it’s like the last Harry Potter book or something like that. Not to say that there might not be another thing one day, but this is the completion of something. I have to think of it as the final thing we’re doing. Otherwise we wouldn’t put everything into it."

All that remains now is the name of the other two headlining acts, with all sorts of possible acts being talked about. We think that the Foo Fighters are one of the others, although we are still not 100% certain. There is speculation that Taylor Swift may be the final headliner, but we are far from sure on that.

This year's sold out Glastonbury Festival runs for five full days from Wednesday 24th until Sunday 28th June 2015 across over a 1,000 acres of beautiful countryside at Worthy Farm, Pilton in Somerset.

As usual eFestivals will bring you the very best-sourced rumours, allowing festival-goers to see who is playing long before the bands are formally announced - keep your eyes on the Glastonbury 2015 rumours, updated as we receive information.

Help us to help you - if you hear of a band that's playing, please let us know.

A further release of a limited number of cancelled tickets will happen in April, for those who have registered beforehand so that they are eligible to buy a ticket.

The only act confirmed is Lionel Richie in the Sunday teatime legends slot. There are no other acts confirmed yet for 2015, the line-up will not be announced until spring.

http://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/15/150203k.shtml