✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Should the Band Play the Half-Time Show?

MICHAELSD

As many of you are already aware, Coldplay is in considerations to play the 2015 half-time show -- albeit, with one major caveat: they will have to split a percentage of their post-show touring profits with the NFL. This is almost auspicious and simply greedy, especially considering the profit half-time ads bring in alone. The most they'd make is probably under $20 million from profit-sharing any act.

That aside, if the NFL has a change of heart and decides to offer Coldplay the spot: should they take it?

Ghost Stories isn't an album made for a stadium, so they should begin promoting their next album in January if they do. Otherwise, it seems like bad timing for the band even though their popularity is peaking with ASFOS.

I'd say yes they should take the spot, granted they have a new single, album, and tour prepared. If not, then pass and wait for a better opportunity.

I don't think they should, imo. The NFL got insanely greedy and that whole "having to pay to perform" story is completely insane and utterly rude. You may treat regular pop stars like that, entangled as they are with their managers and record labels ambitions, but not a band, and especially not Coldplay. They'd rock everyone's world with a set à la Glastonbury 2011 or the Paralympics ceremony, but tbh if they are to spend a crapload of money, I'd rather they do it for a proper worldwide tour than for the Superbowl half-time show.

Now, if they do it during a proper, actual, huge worldwide tour, that would make more sense and that would perhaps be okay.

No, in my opinion. I love American football but it's not the end all. This whole "Pay to Play" has left a nasty taste in my mouth and it's rather cheesy. I would rather see them do a charity benefit concert for a good cause. That would bring attention to the Charity. The NFL does not need any more attention but rather some some image damage control for this mind boggling request.

No, in my opinion. I love American football but it's not the end all. This whole "Pay to Play" has left a nasty taste in my mouth and it's rather cheesy. I would rather see them do a charity benefit concert for a good cause. That would bring attention to the Charity. The NFL does not need any more attention but rather some some image damage control for this mind boggling request.

I agree 1000% with you

I'm not as hung up about having to pay to do the show. The Superbowl IS a big deal and many artists would love to even be in that position to even be considered.

However, I still don't think Coldplay should play this show. Coldplay still have a bit of the reputation as the softest rock band on the planet. In front of the stadium of hardcore, unforgiving football fans, Coldplay might end up paying for something they might not actually enjoy.

For example: a few years back, my country's football league, the Canadian Football League (CFL) (go ahead and laugh americans) hired Biber to do the halftime show of their championship game. The thinking was, here is an international pop star preforming for our league. WCGW? Well, as you would imagine, he was booed the whole time except by the few fans the league kinda added in closer to the stage to try and hide the fact they the Biber idea flopped big time.

Now, i'm not saying Coldplay would gardner as much hate as the Biebs, but I'd say the reaction from the crowd will be more like that than if the other choices played.

^Agreed. I have said it before, but Coldplay are just too nice. They are not prancing, stylish pop stars, nor are they guitar soloing "American Football worthy rock." They don't fit the ticket for me, I wouldn't want them to pay to play for a corporation that literally has grossed 25 Billion dollars annually..too commerical, man. So A BIG NO!

If they did a collaboration performance with Jay-Z, Rihanna, someone else then sure, similar to what they did last year with Bruno Mars & Red Hot Chilli Peppers which I was impressed by. I wasn't however impressed with the pre-recorded portion of the Chilli Peppers performance. What is the point of having a band perform if you are just going to play their music over the PA system.

I think that it is safe to say that if they don't perform live they won't be performing all together. And seeing how the Players Union is supporting the musicians in regards to paying to play at future Superbowls I would say I'm sure this idiotic idea will be killed off soon.

Realistically though what @jc90 pointed out above (YEAH A FELLOW CANADIAN) is very true, I guarantee your average NFL phanatic is not going to want to see Coldplay sadly.