✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Adventure of a Lifetime - Lyrics Decryption

jc90

I read the Oracle's Tweet that the lyrics in the beginning weren't anything. To me, they keep sounding like, "she found out". Anyway, that's what makes sense to me, especially in light of some of the recent news here about the book Chris read.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read the Oracle's Tweet that the lyrics in the beginning weren't anything. To me, they keep sounding like, "she found out". Anyway, that's what makes sense to me, especially in light of some of the recent news here about the book Chris read.

Chris himself said in multiple interviews that it has no meaning...

Chris has done it again guys!

He's inserted ambiguity and opacity even in his more direct lyrics... Google 'Umi name' - it's got multiple meanings in multiple languages - sea in Japanese (female), servant (boy) and born of my mother (girl) in some African languages, life (boy) in Egyptian. Knowing Chris I'm sure he chose the name for its multiple interpretations and meanings... It can also mean mother in Arabic, and Ummi has multiple Islamic meanings - those unschooled/ illiterate, persons who have not received God's word... In a way, it refers to people who are less fortunate.

And I'm sure the bit about holding up half the sky refers to girls... It gives some meaning to his recent trips and work in India, and he has lately been emphasising girls and education for global development too :)

All up, the song serves a dual purpose rather nicely I think - reminding us about the importance of girls as half the world's population, particularly in less developed countries (Asia, Africa), but also giving a bit of personal meaning/ connection if you're a girl (or even boy) growing up / having a history in one of those countries- it's a song about empowering yourself in a non-bitter way, and not giving up hope... What a deep song!

Guest diogo_sg
Chris has done it again guys!

He's inserted ambiguity and opacity even in his more direct lyrics... Google 'Umi name' - it's got multiple meanings in multiple languages - sea in Japanese (female), servant (boy) and born of my mother (girl) in some African languages, life (boy) in Egyptian. Knowing Chris I'm sure he chose the name for its multiple interpretations and meanings... It can also mean mother in Arabic, and Ummi has multiple Islamic meanings - those unschooled/ illiterate, persons who have not received God's word... In a way, it refers to people who are less fortunate.

And I'm sure the bit about holding up half the sky refers to girls... It gives some meaning to his recent trips and work in India, and he has lately been emphasising girls and education for global development too :)

All up, the song serves a dual purpose rather nicely I think - reminding us about the importance of girls as half the world's population, particularly in less developed countries (Asia, Africa), but also giving a bit of personal meaning/ connection if you're a girl (or even boy) growing up / having a history in one of those countries- it's a song about empowering yourself in a non-bitter way, and not giving up hope... What a deep song!

Yes to everything you said [emoji7]

I am Egyptian & I have never heard of the word Umi before..It is the 1st time I heard it & had to google the meaning to see sites claiming it is an Egyptian name & I was like :wtf: (btw, never heard of the term Egyptian language. Egyptians speak Arabic, yes there are slang Egyptian expressions but over all it is Arabic)

also Umi can mean "my mother" in Arabic, but not in the way Chris pronounces it in the song. it is more like Ummi, not Umi :blank:

my thoughts are the same as Gai. It is probably the name of the protagonist in the song. in what language, I have no clue!

Safy, I should never believe everything I read on the internet! It was under google meaning of names but that could be anyone's opinion

I was beginning seriously to doubt myself & my knowledge..:P but I asked another Egyptian Coldplayer & they have never heard of this Umi before either!!

either we are both ignorant, or it is just something invented & put on the internet as a fact!! :laugh3:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest diogo_sg
Seen on Reddit :

Someone asks :

[MEDIA=reddit]path=%2Fr%2FColdplay%2Fcomments%2F3s04r7%2Fwhat_do_the_background_singers_sing_in_the_intro%2Fcwt5jp7[/MEDIA]

JUST LMAO x')

[emoji23] I was listening to AOAL just when I read this. Now I can't stop hearing it too!

• 2 weeks later...
Someone in the other thread was asking what was being said in the very beginning.

I've looked around, and r/coldplay on reddit has a few things to say:

To me, 'Too Far Down" is the leading guess. But what they also suggested is playing the song at a slower pace. So, I went to youtube and under settings (the gear), I set playback to 0.5 speed. I'm not sure it fits in the context of the song, but it does sound like it. But I havent heard a good guess as to what is said after Too Far Down is said 3 times.

Also, not sure who mentioned but Apple and Moses are providing those words again.

I've also listened in 0.5 speed and I think it's just like that: "Too far the... too far the... too far the... too far the magic, magic"

I can't hear the "down" word in there.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Since Chris also mistook Rumi for being Afghan instead of Persian, maybe he just misspelled Rumi... o_O

This got me curious and I checked it out. Apparently Rumi was born in present day Afghanistan. Perhaps he did not say persian so as not to be confused with present day Iran?

This got me curious and I checked it out. Apparently Rumi was born in present day Afghanistan. Perhaps he did not say persian so as not to be confused with present day Iran?

But culturally speaking, Rumi is Persian (I've never heard a scholar say otherwise about him) and thus it would not be too wrong with present-day Iran because that's the current epicentre of Persaian cultur, so to speak. But whatever :D

But culturally speaking, Rumi is Persian (I've never heard a scholar say otherwise about him) and thus it would not be too wrong with present-day Iran because that's the current epicentre of Persaian cultur, so to speak. But whatever :D

Haha your last word lol yes it's not important but I'm just curious about stuff hehe

I always heard of Rumi as Persian as well but the place where he was born and his parents belong to present day Afghanistan (once though apparently that part was included in Persia). So I guess CM is.....

"Guilty of nothing , but geography" lol

• 2 months later...