✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Adventure of a Lifetime - Lyrics Decryption

jc90

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ooooh so I am gonna hold up half the sky is referring to a book about empowering women & gender equality :surprised: never saw it coming. maybe this song is actually written from a female point of view.

If we've only got this life

In this adventure, more than I

And if we've only got this life

You'll get me through, ohh

And if we've only got this life

In this adventure, more than I

Wanna share it with you

With you, with you

this part of the song still confuses me though. Am I the only one who feels it is interrupted somehow? like there should be a completion of the sentence "In this adventure, more than I......"?

ooooh so I am gonna hold up half the sky is referring to a book about empowering women & gender equality never saw it coming. maybe this song is actually written from a female point of view.

if you think about it, chris is really good at writing from a female point of view. paradise is the obvious example, but see it in a boy's eyes is a great song and the best example i think!

I was quite astonished when I heard Chris say the inspiration is supposed to have come from a book about strong women in adverse / dangerous life situations. Because to me (and I say that as an objective criticism, this is not Newplay-bashing or something) the lyrics and disco-dance tune suggest the theme being "let's have fun now/new love/life is for enjoying/YOLO-attitude" rather than empowering women....

I would have expected a more serious (and by all means upbeat, but less light-flowing) song about a subject like the one Chris supposedly was inspired from, but well...

For those who find that picture hard to read, here are the official lyrics as posted along with that image:

turn your magic on

Umi she'd say

everything you want’s a dream away

and we are legends every day

that's what she told me

turn your magic on,

to me she'd say

everything you want’s a dream away

under this pressure under this weight

we are diamonds

now I feel my heart beating

I feel my heart underneath my skin

and I feel my heart beating

oh you make me feel

like I’m alive again

alive again

oh you make me feel

like I’m alive again

said I can't go on, not in this way

I'm a dream that died by light of day

gonna hold up half the sky and say

only I own me

and I feel my heart beating

I feel my heart underneath my skin

oh I can feel my heart beating

cause you make me feel

like I’m alive again

alive again

oh you make me feel

like I’m alive again

turn your magic on, Umi she'd say

everything you want's a dream away

under this pressure under this weight

we are diamonds taking shape

we are diamonds taking shape

if we've only got this life

this adventure oh then I

and if we've only got this life

you get me through

and if we've only got this life

in this adventure oh then I

want to share it with you

with you

with you

yeah I do

woohoo

woohoo

woohoo

I was quite astonished when I heard Chris say the inspiration is supposed to have come from a book about strong women in adverse / dangerous life situations. Because to me (and I say that as an objective criticism, this is not Newplay-bashing or something) the lyrics and disco-dance tune suggest the theme being "let's have fun now/new love/life is for enjoying/YOLO-attitude" rather than empowering women....

I would have expected a more serious (and by all means upbeat, but less light-flowing) song about a subject like the one Chris supposedly was inspired from, but well...

It could have been another Violet Hill or Politik with a theme like that.

Although, with that said you can't really trust anything Chris says anymore.

It could have been another Violet Hill or Politik with a theme like that.

Although, with that said you can't really trust anything Chris says anymore.

but did you miss the part where even the book title actually appears?

Maybe I'm just being stupid but what's an "Umi"?

I know there's a sushi restaurant in Amsterdam called Umi, but I don't think that's wat he meant. Perhaps Umi is the protagonist of the album just like that Mylo Xyloto character they came up with? Or perhaps, since Indian culture has influenced the boys, it's something Indian?

I know there's a sushi restaurant in Amsterdam called Umi, but I don't think that's wat he meant. Perhaps Umi is the protagonist of the album just like that Mylo Xyloto character they came up with? Or perhaps, since Indian culture has influenced the boys, it's something Indian?

Nope, Umi isn't something related to India.

I guess its just like 'to me' or ' you and me' maybe?

so according to this, the US live premier of aoal will happen on the american music awards on the 22nd. does that mean the james corden event that's happening this week wouldn't be broadcast till then or that it's possibly a bigger event? or the music award people got it wrong..

Guest diogo_sg

I just googled 'umi meaning'.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=umi

Turn your magic on / Mother, she'd say

So I think this song is about a woman remembering the times when her mother would tell her to be strong and never stop trying to achieve her dreams. This is a very lousy explanation of my interpretation, but I have too many things to do, so I can't write a longer paragraph. Sorry [emoji16]

I just googled 'umi meaning'.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=umi

Turn your magic on / Mother, she'd say

So I think this song is about a woman remembering the times when her mother would tell her to be strong and never stop trying to achieve her dreams. This is a very lousy explanation of my interpretation, but I have too many things to do, so I can't write a longer paragraph. Sorry [emoji16]

Diogo, give yourself more credit. Your interpretation makes total sense! Thanks!!