✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay and Chris Martin Open Up for New Album - WSJ Article

gai

“Hymn for the Weekend” came out of that process as a very different kind of Coldplay song. How did it start?

The original kernel was that I was listening to Flo Rida or something, and I thought, it’s such a shame that Coldplay could never have one of those late-night club songs, like “Turn Down for What.” What would we call it if we had one? I thought I’d like to have a song called “Drinks on Me” where you sit on the side of a club and buy everyone drinks because you’re so f—ing cool. I was chuckling about that, when this melody came—“drinks on me, drinks on me”—then the rest of the song came out. I presented it to the rest of the band and they said, “We love this song, but there’s no way you can sing ‘drinks on me.’” So that changed into “drink from me” and the idea of having an angelic person in your life. Then that turned into asking Beyoncé to sing on it.

tumblr_inline_nugh68UosZ1rkhmeb_500.gif

ffs Christopher...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like G and J said in other interviews, they'd still be working on the album if someone didn't take it from them. These guys (all of them) are perfectionists, and they won't release something unless they are satisfied with how it sounds.
And then we'll get Princess Of China 2.0. I still marvel how that one got past everyone but Chris °-°

Another interesting thing is that until know, Chris has been doing 95% of the talking in relation to the new album. Jonny was with him during some radio interviews, but barely talked.

I know Chris is the frontman and it is probable that J, G and W don't like to talk that much but I will really like to hear their point of view on everything. We got some of it during the GS era with the interviews with Jo Whiley and Fearnie Cotton.

I think its different with Jo and Ferne because the rest of the band know them well. They aren't quite like Chris where they can just share their feelings with strangers. This really shouldn't be news to anyone. J and G have always been the shy type. W isn't really, but I think he understands ppl rather listen to C.

But from a fan perspective, I totally agree. There was a thread a few weeks back where we were all just talking about this. How we wish the others would speak more....

Guest howyousawtheworld
Chris Martin - 'It’s not guarded music. It’s about very open things and that might not resonate with some people. But I don’t want to obscure our music behind coolness or cynicism just to avoid criticisms. Because for some people it really connects, and I need it, too.'

Ahhh but here is the thing Chris! Some LOVED the guarded nature of Coldplay's songs (almost anything on their first two albums?!) and we loved the cynical Coldplay songs even more (Violet Hill)!

I remember Chris came out with a quote during the release phase of Viva La Vida that went along the lines of something like 'we wanted to make songs that meant people in the playground wouldn't get picked on for doing so' and they achieved that with some incredible success on that album. When Coldplay do rock - they CAN DO rock! Violet Hill and Chinese Sleep Chant are thrilling in their aggression.

It's something Coldplay HAVE to do again - make a full out rock album along the lines of Major Minus, Violet Hill, Chinese Sleep Chant, God Put A Smile Upon Your Face, 1.36, One I Love.

They are astoundingly good at it and it would be fantastic if they re found that ability again.

Don't want to put on a downer here but Hymn For The Weekend sounds....well it sounds unappealing to put it politely.

Flo Rida? Seriously? Flo fucking Rida? Fucking Flo ****ing Rida? Bastarding hell and all it's enseamed filth!!! How about you turn that into a great lyric?

When Coldplay do rock - they CAN DO rock

It's something Coldplay HAVE to do again - make a full out rock album

They are astoundingly good at it

And that's exactly why they probably won't do it again. They have said they don't wanna rely on the same tricks over and over. That's what happened with X&Y and that's why we got Viva La Vida. I don't doubt they can make RushOfBloodII and have it make everyone shit their pants. But I also don't think the band have a desire to make that again. They know they're good at it and they're done making that type of album.

Personally and selfishly, would I want AROBTTH 2.0? Yes. But do I think it's gonna happen with this release or any release in the future? I'd lean towards no. It's almost unrealistic at this point to expect it given all the things the band have said. I can appreciate the frustration some of us feel waiting for this to come. But what's also clear is that the band aren't listening to us, but themselves. And this is not a bad thing.

So, this is what the situation is now. You've been on the S.S. Coldplay for over a decade. You've passed by the islands of Parachutes, Rush of Blood, X&Y, Viva, MX and Ghost Stories. You've docked onto each island and took a few pictures. Some memories were great and some not so much, but you've been on for so long now. Do you get off the ride now with the memories you have, or do you trust in captain Chris and first mates Jonny, Will and Guy to perhaps find a new and better land?

Guest howyousawtheworld
And that's exactly why they probably won't do it again. They have said they don't wanna rely on the same tricks over and over. That's what happened with X&Y and that's why we got Viva La Vida. I don't doubt they can make RushOfBloodII and have it make everyone shit their pants. But I also don't think the band have a desire to make that again. They know they're good at it and they're done making that type of album.

Personally and selfishly, would I want AROBTTH 2.0? Yes. But do I think it's gonna happen with this release or any release in the future? I'd lean towards no. It's almost unrealistic at this point to expect it given all the things the band have said. I can appreciate the frustration some of us feel waiting for this to come. But what's also clear is that the band aren't listening to us, but themselves. And this is not a bad thing.

I would never say Coldplay have done a full rock album ie Chris ditching the piano and playing the rhythm guitar. There is more than enough room in their canon to do so.

You've passed by the islands of Parachutes, Rush of Blood, X&Y, Viva, MX and Ghost Stories. You've docked onto each island and took a few pictures. Some memories were great and some not so much, but you've been on for so long now. Do you get off the ride now with the memories you have, or do you trust in captain Chris and first mates Jonny, Will and Guy to perhaps find a new and better land?
I fear they're heading straight to that tropical goth island :|

But hell, I'm always in for some adventurous ride!

From my point of view, it is not so much about the style but the quality of the songs. They haven't really swept off our feet since that song called Viva La Vida.

I hope this doesn't come off as snarky, but it really is just one point of view out of many. And i'm sure many others would agree with you in the end, but I also think others would disagree.

I for one got tears in my eyes when hearing O for the first time. On the Ghost Stories album which is apparently universally hated among coldplayers.

I for one got got my socks knocked off with Jonny's guitar god impression on Hurt Like Heaven, on another much hated Coldplay album.

The gems are there. You just have to look.

ahem ahem what are all these actresses doing on a Coldplay album? :confused: I mean, I get the idea of collaborating with other musicians like Beyonce or Tove Lo or whatever, but what artistic value do these actresses bring to the album?

I had some hope for Everglow because it was the only ballad, but do I have to endure some terrible singing voice in it?

please do not turn this into a discussion about their private lives. I am really asking out of artistic concern..I sincerely all these featuring vocals will be hushed down & unrecognizable..

Much disappointing news. :/ More intrigued to hear AHFoD now since it lacks a chorus, though. Album title tracks have never let me down me before!

It's so strange (to me) having at least two ballads and at least one dance track on the album. :thinking: On Viva they stressed the importance of song flow.I can't listen to any Viva track alone, I always listen to the album in one sitting- that's how well it goes together. But judging by the past two albums, they tossed said idea.

Great, I am now officially scared to hear Hymn For The Weekend

also, "Everything's a good lyric if you've got the right beat" ............no. I wish it worked like that but ://////

/cynical post

Yeah... This album seems to be the nightmare the Oldplayers feared the most. It takes all the points of contention of the last two albums that everyone disliked and magnifies them to the extreme:

1. Dancey tracks with less than inspired lyrics.

2. EDM.

3. Collaborations.

4. Overproduced poppy production.

As with MX and GS we might have had only a couple of these elements appear it seems with this album they're going to feature on every track in one way or another.. Worrying.

ahem ahem what are all these actresses doing on a Coldplay album? :confused: I mean, I get the idea of collaborating with other musicians like Beyonce or Tove Lo or whatever, but what artistic value do these actresses bring to the album?

I had some hope for Everglow because it was the only ballad, but do I have to endure some terrible singing voice in it?

I understand your concern. Although I am merely speculating, I would assume that the contribution of these actresses is simply filling up the song with an almost unnoticeable backing vocal or part of a chorus by a large group of people.

I for one got tears in my eyes when hearing O for the first time. On the Ghost Stories album which is apparently universally hated among coldplayers.

I for one got got my socks knocked off with Jonny's guitar god impression on Hurt Like Heaven, on another much hated Coldplay album.

I also cried when I heard the O snippet in the Zane Lowe interview and I love the song. The same for Hurts Like Heaven. I sang the song at my wedding reception.

But I am trying to be honest. Those are great songs and they are many of those in every single record. I was referring to a song that will stand the test of time and will always be remembered. I think that during the first albums we had more of those (Yellow, The Scientist, Fix You and Viva la Vida).

2. EDM.

Whoa, there's EDM on LP7?

3. Collaborations.

We get a collab with Noel friggin Gallagher. This should be enough to please the oldplay crowd. The way I see it, Oldplay can cling onto this collab, and those who aren't oldplayers can cling onto the other collab. I would have expected there be no issue with collaborations whatsoever given oldplayers and newplayers get the collab that they want. Unless you meant to say you didn't want any collabs of any kind whether they be John Lennon or Lil John. Otherwise, I don't know what else to say except that (surprise news flash), you don't always get 100% of what you want in life. There will be compromises.

Whoa, there's EDM on LP7?

I think it's a fair assumption based on the genesis of Hymn For The Weekend. Tell me this, how many nightclubs do you know that play non electronic music, especially for the last song of the night?

We get a collab with Noel friggin Gallagher. This should be enough to please the oldplay crowd.

I was initially enthralled, but let's be honest, it's one guitar solo. Noely G is not even singing on the album! Not much of a contribution when you have the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow being bestowed the honour instead.

I think it's a fair assumption based on the genesis of Hymn For The Weekend. Tell me this, how many nightclubs do you know that play non electronic music, especially for the last song of the night?

Fair enough. My only soiree into EDM was ASFOS. I didn't hate it, so it's not a concern for me. Clearly you deem it a concern, so i'll leave you to it.

I was initially enthralled, but let's be honest, it's one guitar solo. Noely G is not even singing on the album! Not much of a contribution when you have the likes of Gwyneth Paltrow being bestowed the honour instead.

Noel didn't sing on half the Oasis tracks either, but he had his fingerprints on the songs. I maintain my high expectations for his track in particular given this fact.

I also don't think Gwyneth will do much singing on her track and this whole thing is being blown out of proportion for the sake of strengthening weak arguments and illegitimate concerns. If she had a major singing role, she would be given a 'feat.' credit like Tove Lo. Therefore, I really just think its some backup singing which we wouldn't even notice if the band hadn't had said so.

strengthening weak arguments and illegitimate concerns.

Not really an illegitimate concern to expect to hear Coldplay and not 5/6 other artists + Hollywood actresses when buying a Coldplay album.

I mean is it really an illegitimate concern to not want to hear Beyonce on a Coldplay album when I'm a Coldplay fan?!

Guest howyousawtheworld
I hope this doesn't come off as snarky, but it really is just one point of view out of many. And i'm sure many others would agree with you in the end, but I also think others would disagree.

I don't think MX is 'much hated' (well maybe Princess of China and those tortured 'woaaaahhs')....it just fell short of the very high expectations set by Viva La Vida. Big anti climax even more so when the live versions of those songs that were performed before the release simply didn't live up to their stage reality on cd. Hurts Like Heaven is a 10/10 song on stage. On the album - it's a 7.5.