✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay and Chris Martin Open Up for New Album - WSJ Article

gai

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That really depends? Every night out I've been on, there has always been more 'organic' music played and it's often those that gain a better reaction than the EDM (which isn't really that big anymore) or house tracks played.

Well, in my country, they usually play the national anthem after last orders. That wasn't really the point of the analogy. The point was given the context of the interview and Coldplay's current direction, it's a fair assumption to assume the 'big single' will be very electronic.

Well, in my country, they usually play the national anthem after last orders. That wasn't really the point of the analogy. The point was given the context of the interview and Coldplay's current direction, it's a fair assumption to assum the 'big single' will be very electronic.

Why are you being so critical of everything. Could you just hold it in till the album is released. Ranting about the 'new Coldplay', 'the new directions 'EDM' when all we've heard is one song of the 11 present.

It is disappointing to see so much hate at a Coldplay fan forum.

Atleast let the album come out, you can have your say then.

It's ok if you like the old Coldplay or Oldplay and don't really prefer the new and 'a bit' different one, but that doesn't mean that everyone else has to hate the new one.

Calm down and expect the best.

Coldplay will deliver.

And if they don't (according to your expectations) , you sir have 80+ oldplay songs to listen to.

And we'll have 11 more Coldplay songs to listen to.

Why are you being so critical of everything. Could you just hold it in till the album is released. Ranting about the 'new Coldplay', 'the new directions 'EDM' when all we've heard is one song of the 11 present.

It is disappointing to see so much hate at a Coldplay fan forum.

Atleast let the album come out, you can have your say then.

It's ok if you like the old Coldplay or Oldplay, buy that doesn't mean that everyone had to hate the new one.

Calm down and expect the best.

Coldplay will deliver.

He's well within his right to hate whatever he wants. And with the last 2 albums being this way, i don't blame him. All very legit concerns.

He's well within his right to hate whatever he wants. And with the last 2 albums being this way, i don't blame him. All very legit concerns.

Being critical of 'AOAL' is justified because it's atleast released.

How can one be so critical of something that is not even out yet.

Same comments by him on December 5 will make more sense because then it will be known as an opinion. Right now I would call it nothing else other than hate.

The way I see it is that we all have very different opinions on how this album is going to turn out, based on low or high expectations and on interviews since the album was announced. People completely dismissing the idea that this album could be great are being ridiculous, I understand that everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it's hard to know you hate something before it comes out.

For example, this is how I see the album turning out:

1. A Head Full Of Dreams (Mylo Style colourful poppy rock, think HLH or Paradise, hopeful for Indian influences)

2. Birds (something very different for them but most closely resembling LiJ)

3. HFTW (Dancy, obviously but I can't see them repeating the style of ASFOS)

4. Everglow (Hopefully a really lovely ballad)

5. AOAL -

6. Fun (honestly no idea, can't see there being three really dancy ones on here, we'll see)

7. Kaleidoscope (Interlude probably)

8. Army Of One (The inevitable darker or heavier rock song (hopefully))

9. Amazing Day (Strings and piano more apparent on studio version)

10. Colour Spectrum (Psychadelic interlude)

11. Up&Up (an epic/odyssey)

How many people are expecting the same as me? I bet there are barely any and that goes to show that we don't really have a great idea on how this will turn out, so we may as well wait and see before dragging the band through the

Being critical of 'AOAL' is justified because it's at least released.

How can one be so critical of something that is not even out yet.

Same hate on December 5 will make more sense because then it will be known as an opinion. Right now I would call it nothing else other than hate.

It's all about context.

I'm not hating on something I haven't heard, I'm criticizing the context in which the album is in. Collaborations, Stargate, Actresses, Ex-Wifes, the first single etc.

Believe me, we know a lot about what the album will sound like without hearing it.

Everyone's freaking out about having Gwyneth and that model girl on the album, but it sounds to me like they just sing in the choir. I don't think Gwyneth has her own verse anywhere on this album. You'll probably never actually realize you're hearing her.

complete the following sentence

Chris Martin has unfortunately gone..............

NUTS.

Honestly, my expectations for HFTW are now really low. Wish he would have stuck with the lyrics "drinks on me", they would probably feel truer to the meaning of the song. Agree with the comments made by The Adversary and beastwars.

For me, the Coldplay ship has already sunk. It sunk from the suface of the sea after Viva, and now it's slowly hitting the ground.

It has been addressed in this thread the fact that there are "known" or "named" ppl on this album. I think it's great that Coldplay can who have whom ever they want on their album whether it be "Friends & Family" or who ever the hell they want. That's the point about this band. They have gotten where they don't give a WHootenany's Ass what anyone thinks and are just making the album they want to make. And having fun. And it will be gorgeous and we will love it.

I'm really trying to keep my expectations at a manageable level--not super high, not super low--but honestly for every bit of news that sends them soaring, it seems like there's one right after that sends them tumbling back down again.

Noel Gallagher on the album? Heck yes I want four

HFaW being at least indirectly influenced by Flo Rida? wtf no

Obviously, a lot of Coldplayers share my opinions. It seems we're all being put through an emotional wringer and it's making all of us a little vitriolic. Yes, AHFoD will probably have some low moments in the eyes of some, but even Coldplay's worst albums (whatever they may be in your eyes) have all had their high points as well. Do I particularly like MX or GS? No, but I do like Major Minus, DLIBYH, UWtB, MtM, Oceans, Midnight, Another's Arms, and Ghost Story. Do I love ARoBttH and Viva? Of course, but I don't particularly care for IMP, Green Eyes, Lost!, or Reign of Love. There will be high and low points for all of us, and while some of us may unfortunately experience more of the lows than the highs, Coldplay always delivers on a song for everyone.

I understand that it can be frustrating when a band that you love stops doing things that you love, or when it seems like some people will never be happy with post-Viva Coldplay, but let's try not to take it out on the fans who are on the other side of the line. We are, as some have been saying, all in the same boat.

^Well said. Reading this article didn't necessarily turn me off. I think this album is going to be better than we are expecting.

Hymn for the Weekend is going to be super interesting I think. I can already tell I am either going to absolutely hate it or love it haha. Frankly, I love Turn Down For What, and I love club bangers, but that just doesn't make me think of Coldplay. Plus I love Beyonce and I love the ideas of choirs and hymns so this could be one of the more interesting pop songs of the year! Really looking forward to it, just praying it isn't ASFOS #2.

And I totally agree. I haven't adored the last two albums either, but I still like them a lot and love most the tracklisting. If AHFOD has one or two duds then I am okay with that. We have already gotten 2 songs and I love both of them so that is a good sign....

It has been addressed in this thread the fact that there are "known" or "named" ppl on this album. I think it's great that Coldplay can who have whom ever they want on their album whether it be "Friends & Family" or who ever the hell they want. That's the point about this band. They have gotten where they don't give a WHootenany's Ass what anyone thinks and are just making the album they want to make. And having fun. And it will be gorgeous and we will love it.

I absolutely love this idea of embracing what they love. Each album has been so different and we can judge them the same way. As long as they enjoy what they do, we as fans we'll enjoy it as well (or at least those who appreciate almost everything Coldplay do). I'll wait to hear the whole album to say if I like it or not, but I think the concept of this era is great so far.