✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Coldplay and Chris Martin Open Up for New Album - WSJ Article

gai

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't doubt they can make RushOfBloodII and have it make everyone shit their pants. But I also don't think the band have a desire to make that again. They know they're good at it and they're done making that type of album.

True, but that's the problem. They don't seem to care about doing the stuff that they're really good at. If Eminem wrote a hard-rock song it would also be terrible, because that's not what he's good at. Most artists are very talented in a certain field but would suck in others.

The fact that Coldplay's talent is writing alternative rock is perfectly reflected in the professional ratings. Most music critics agree that AROBTTH was their best album and that after Viva the quality of their output decreased with GS having the lowest score of 61/100 on Metacritic. I highly suspect that their downward trend will continue if they don't return to doing the stuff that they're really talented at.

^I somewhat agree with you. What is interesting is that Chris says that on MX, GS and now AHFOD, they have stopped caring and worrying about their sound and just letting their influences take over. I am not sure what to think of this.

For one, that is great for them and hopefully they are happy and having fun. That certainly reflects in AOAL. But letting the influence of Avicii into an alternative rock song doesn't sound very good... I almost feel like the angsty, more worried Chris Martin wrote the more beautiful, critically acclaimed songs...

So deep inside my selfish self wishes Chris would start worrying about critics a lot again and start experimenting with cool melodies and different genres like they did with Viva or plunge into heavy themes like they did with AROBTTH... But on the other hand, perhaps this idea of embracing everything and having fun will pay off with some really exciting and beautiful music too that we haven't heard from Coldplay yet...I don't know. I am torn. But the fact that you can see Coldplay's metacritic drop is interesting and hopefully will not persist. (arguably it is hard for a band like Coldplay to get as much respect as they used to, however, which might account for lower scores on their records)

So deep inside my selfish self wishes Chris would start worrying about critics a lot again and start experimenting with cool melodies and different genres like they did with Viva or plunge into heavy themes like they did with AROBTTH...

The problem is, I have a feeling this phase is gone forever. The band are so big that whatever they produce will be huge in sales, they are not in the phase of establishing themselves in the music market anymore.

^^ i think it is clear that there has been a steady decline in the quality of output in their discography since viva. But specially with this release, what I'm taking away is that while the angsty, neurotic Chris may have given us the best music, it may not have been a happy, content existence for him and the ones around him, including the band.

What is clear now is that the band as people have matured and are at very content places in their lives. They are just happy being themselves and doing what they please. They are not trying to prove themselves as they were during viva or before. I think as a band in to the later part of the second decade in their career, they have earned it.

What we as fans can do is to adjust our expectations and enjoy the ride. If not, we are going to be bitter and probably miss out on the fun things coming our way. I haven't been that happy with the last two records myself, but I prefer the fun I get from the band even now as opposed to missing out because of my expectations of the band.

I don't know whether music could always be the "media" to reflect the depth of life One's experienced/or experiencing. To have an ex singing (or the one important to one's life) in the album, is not always an easy thing to do. If doing so, it could probably mean more than just music (hence, whether the music itself would please you or others...) - I just feel they put very important things/learnings into their most creations, which is wonderful. I think they(prob. Chris) are still in the process of transformation (indeed, if you've experienced sth. very heavy in life, the look on life, even the smallest thing you've ignored/unnoticed before, might have a different line on you...) so even, being alive, could be so precious...such awareness, is life's gift~ I wish them always a family, and everyone has a family to be happy and safe with, during Christmas

NUTS.

Honestly, my expectations for HFTW are now really low. Wish he would have stuck with the lyrics "drinks on me", they would probably feel truer to the meaning of the song. Agree with the comments made by The Adversary and beastwars.

For me, the Coldplay ship has already sunk. It sunk from the suface of the sea after Viva, and now it's slowly hitting the ground.

oh man exactly what I was thinking hopping someone would say

Woah! All I know is WWIII just erupted in the past 12 hours when I was away at work! All the carnage, all the splatter of emotion and hurt feelings :shocked2: Are there any survivors out there? :P

I do like dissent and a good discussion but some of the comments earlier seem a bit premature... Sure be worried and concerned, but to be ultra-critical of something that has not been heard yet is surely unfair? No matter whether it turns out later to be true or false... Is there to be no fair hearing for Coldplay?

Chris has really turned over a new leaf and seems genuinely happy with his life. I'm half expecting AHFOD to be filled with happy sappy songs with cheesy lyrics but I will probably end up loving it anyway. What's important is they are making music they enjoy and are proud of instead of the music Oldplayers are expecting from them. Even though I prefer their "older" sound there are still many tracks on MX and GS that I enjoy. You don't need to love every song to be a fan.

I think it is interesting and healthy to have these discussions. Nobody should try to silence criticisms or positive opinions because the mere fact that a person is still visiting this forum and writing here means that he/she is a fan of the band and still enjoy their music no matter what.

Woah! All I know is WWIII just erupted in the past 12 hours when I was away at work! All the carnage, all the splatter of emotion and hurt feelings :shocked2: Are there any survivors out there? :P

Excerpt from a History Book of the year 2050:

4th of December, 2015: WWIII was ignited through a fight between Oldplayers and Newplayers.

I didn't know what Turn Down For What is, so I looked it up. So this is Coldplay's newest influence (disclaimer, pervy video !)

[video=youtube;HMUDVMiITOU]

Now that reassures me again that Coldplay are artistically at their height.

The best (or worse) bit about this video is the 315M views on YouTube :shocked2: Can I unsee this thing? :sick:

On the (only) plus side, it has a killer bass groove... I think this was what CM was referring to, particularly in reference to the clubs part