✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do I dislike AHFOD so much?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Hi everybody,i read tons of comments about this album,new songs and them in general,here in this forum,in the facebook official page and the italian fanpage( I'm italian :D) and i wish to share my point of view...

Fist of all I've to say that I've discovered them only 8 years ago, by listening Clocks and since then I can only say that 'I grew up' with them,learning and listening everything they did!

I don't want to spend so much words about what I feel when I listen to their masterpiece 'cause everyone know that, but I want to specific that AROBTTH is simply THE masterpiece,everything in that album just blew my away every time!

That said, I've a question that I had in mind since the album release...Why there's so much hate/disgust/angry with this work?

I personally think that it's not their greatest album but is also not their worst!It can be easily placed over MX or at least at the same rank in terms of quality.

I just loved Birds,Everglow and Up&Up since the first listen in the same way that I loved Clocks,the Scientist,Square One,Atlas and so on...When you first listen a Coldplay song you get throw away immediately,that I mean..And I found Coldplay in those songs too!

For eg I hope Birds will be played live, with Chris playing the acoustic guitar..Would be amazing!

Also Fun,Amazing Day and AHFOD are great songs (that mantain the same style of their last albums) but always Coldplay are!

I don't really get when people say 'A Chris solo's album', 'I can't even hear Will in this album', 'Everglow is the worst song they made' and so on...

Do that people even heard the album?..I won't say anything about Will,just go re-listen the album.

About Everglow, i wonder if this song was put on VlV or Mx?Everybody would say that is an amazing song that only Coldplay can make...But placed in this album it seems that is another 'plastic' song,unbelievable...I can hear an amazing piano,with Chris perfect voiceover and huge Jonny's solo,in a pure Coldplay style...And I don't think they discovered this song for second before the release of the album or that is Guy's favourite one of this album, for nothing.

Up&Up is a Coldplay masterpiece at all,just listen it live played...Simply no words when i listen to it!(studio version should have piano inside but is still great at all)

I've not talked about AOL or Army of one,which I think that are ok and that I'll listen just for Jonny I guess :D

Also when i read about laks of lyrics it makes me a bit angry,'cause they are not all Fix You but also they are not all trash...

But I want also to say that they made some mistakes in this album,of course, by doing that trash,awful,and whatever you want, piece of sound called X marks the spot, simply the worst stuff made by them in 19 years that they are together...thing like this shouldn't have been put inside the album!

I guess that I could cry when i think that another ghost track was 'Til Kingdom Come...Omg

By the way,if you add to this the obama snippet and Hymn for the weekend (can be a great song for most of the people but except piano riff and Jonny usual work, i can't like this song at all...Plus its more Coldplay feat Byonce this than Coldplay feat Tove Lo in Fun, for me..) then you'll have what went wrong in this album.

I started to think that the hated ASFOS, which i learned to appreciate (Live,to be specific), would have been one of the greatest songs if they didn't add those shitty avcii things and with a more meaning lyrics...You can say I'm mad, but I simply loved Jonny's work in this song,its amazing and its also nice to play it with guitar..Just go see the making of the video,where Chris sing enterly the song or at least the live version!Thats is what i wanted to be that song...but still better than HFTW

So, there'll a lot to talk about this, but i wanted to 'defend' them and the album because i found unfair critic them so hard for everything,when good stuff has been made at all!

At least I think that this album can't even be compared with Parachutes or AROBTTH, due to the fact that in those 2 masterpieces there were different atmosphere,sounds,vibes and feelings, at least opposite than this last album...What makes Coldplay unique is that i can find exactly how i feel in one of their song, so if I feel in a certain way I'll listen to brother and sister, careful where you stand acoustic, We never change,Arobtth,Amsterdam, if I need something else I'll listen to Clocks,Fix you,Yellow,The Scientist,'til Kingdome come,Violet Hill, and so on, if you got what i mean.

I hope that i've explained at least well what i wanted to say and just to be clear,its my point of view :)

• Like 2

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^But see that's your point of view. And those that don't like the new CP album that's their point of view. I don't think you can say your point of view is right and others are wrong and vice versa.

I feel like if someone critiques CP's work on here at all even if it's only slightly negative some fans get upset and take it personally, and declare that their opinion is wrong and they never liked the band to begin with.

Must we all like everything CP puts out to be a fan?

For me, I appreciate their older songs like Fix You, Swallowed in the Sea, The Scientist, Warning Sign, Proof because the lyrics were profound and poetic and the melodies were beautiful yet understated. Their new songs on AHFOD for the most part in my opinion is just a bunch of songs without any rhyme or reason or cohesion. It sounds like songs that were cut from MX and Ghost Stories and just put together on AHFOD. If I were them Id actually be a bit ashamed I put out an album like this. It's definitely not their best work. I think we can all agree on that last statement.

But see that's your point of view. And those that don't like the new CP album that's their point of view. I don't think you can say your point of view is right and others are wrong and vice versa.

I feel like if someone critiques CP's work on here at all even if it's only slightly negative some fans get upset and take it personally, and declare that their opinion is wrong and they never liked the band to begin with.

For me, I appreciate their older songs like Fix You, Swallowed in the Sea, The Scientist, Warning Sign, Proof because the lyrics were profound and poetic and the melodies were beautiful yet understated.

Not quite sure who this is directed to... Is it me?

What makes Coldplay unique is that i can find exactly how i feel in one of their song, so if I feel in a certain way I'll listen to brother and sister, careful where you stand acoustic, We never change,Arobtth,Amsterdam, if I need something else I'll listen to Clocks,Fix you,Yellow,The Scientist,'til Kingdome come,Violet Hill, and so on, if you got what i mean.

This versatility is I think something people tend to underrate in Coldplay. I can think of perhaps one other band which comes close in being so versatile but then thats it. Its truly a remarkable trait of theirs and I hope they never lose it.

• Like 2

This versatility is I think something people tend to underrate in Coldplay. I can think of perhaps one other band which comes close in being so versatile but then thats it. Its truly a remarkable trait of theirs and I hope they never lose it.

Yes[emoji106]

I honestly have not encountered anyone here (yet LOL) who is not able to criticise the work of the band in various aspects. And I think generally people are accommodating of different opinions (thankfully hehe). Its when people state that their opinion is right and everything else is wrong that things start to go south imo. Also stating opinions in a very harsh tone (calling AHFOD a pile of trash or what have you) is bound to cause a reaction. I get it that people have strong opinions, but we should not forget that others opinions are just as valid and important. It tends to get lost in all our "cyber rambling" hehe :)

I honestly have not encountered anyone here (yet LOL) who is not able to criticise the work of the band in various aspects. And I think generally people are accommodating of different opinions (thankfully hehe). Its when people state that their opinion is right and everything else is wrong that things start to go south imo. Also stating opinions in a very harsh tone (calling AHFOD a pile of trash or what have you) is bound to cause a reaction. I get it that people have strong opinions, but we should not forget that others opinions are just as valid and important. It tends to get lost in all our "cyber rambling" hehe :)

Did I call AHFOD a pile of trash??? Lol I don't think it is I just don't think it's their best work. I certainly didn't forget that other opinions are just a valid, in fact I stated as such in my post. I think it's the ones that love AHFOD that really are upset and taking it personally.

Did I call AHFOD a pile of trash??? Lol

I hope not haha But it was not directed to you personally (damn english language where we tend to use "you" to mean people in general hehe) , but a general reflection on the fact that how one states an opinion is just as, if not more, important than the content of that opinion in determining what kind of reaction you´re gonna get. If you push, people are bound to push back. So yeah using harsh words to describe something you dislike might be great for you, but you forget you´re trashing something someone else loves! hehe :)

• Like 1

I think it's the ones that love AHFOD that really are upset and taking it personally.

And the fans of AHFOD or Coldplay later work will probably say that its the Oldplayers who are too upset and taking it personally hehe Thats just it. We all tend to see things only from our perspective and thats life I guess. I dont know..I think the key is to remember we all just share our impressions and thats it without belittling others for thinking differently.

• Like 1

I'm sorry if I offended someone in any way and if I've expressed myself incorrectly, i wish to say my opinion about this, maybe using not the correct words (english is a pretty different language than italian and sometimes is hard to express some ideas) and as you said, all the opinion are equal important!

I got a bit angry with people,that are not even in this thread, who gave those description to this album and define themselves coldplay fan,thats all...Its not that 'I love this album', its about judging their work so hard in a negative way...But who simply don't like it and prefere the other albums have all my respect! :)

I'm the first who says that this is not their best album, it can't be compared with the first 3 and Viva at all, but there's much difference between this and saying that is totally trash many people or 'reviewer' have said,thats all!

• Like 1

And the fans of AHFOD or Coldplay later work will probably say that its the Oldplayers who are too upset and taking it personally hehe Thats just it. We all tend to see things only from our perspective and thats life I guess. I dont know..I think the key is to remember we all just share our impressions and thats it without belittling others for thinking differently.

Definitely but surely I didn't belittle any ones opinion. I'm sorry if it came off that way. Sometimes it's hard to tell someone's tone online, I guess. :)

• Like 1

I'm sorry if I offended someone in any way and if I've expressed myself incorrectly, i wish to say my opinion about this,

I got a bit angry with people,that are not even in this thread, who gave those description to this album and define themselves coldplay fan,thats all...Its not that 'I love this album', its about judging their work so hard in a negative way...But who simply don't like it and prefere the other albums have all my respect! :)

Nothing to apologise for in my book. And I totally get what you mean. :) And I agree: opinions get to be very charged here at times I´ve noticed, I guess its inevitable when Coldplay have done such an 180 degree in various points of their career. Polarise the music, you´ll polarise the fans hehe

• Like 3

Definitely but surely I didn't belittle any ones opinion. I'm sorry if it came off that way. Sometimes it's hard to tell someone's tone online, I guess. :)

So true, and yet another reason imo to be careful when writing online. And I get that people get carried away with their passion during a post, but charged words can easily be perceived as offensive or too much. If I may be so bold , Id say that what you wrote about "I´d actually be a bit ashamed if I were them of having released this and that", I can perceive as saying "ok I should be ashamed I am actually listening and liking this apparent piece of crap" hehe Just an example out of many of how things can quickly be perceived in a way you had never intended!

If only all our minds were perfectly synched all the time, but then we´d live in a pretty boring world! hehe :) We must take the sweet with the sour of our variety I guess :)

P.s. I edited your quote I had misquoted. I apologise :) There you go...a perfect example of "we see what we want to see" LOL

• Like 2

And I agree with everything you said...Sometimes I wish we could really lives in a beautiful world as Chris sang :D

Hmm you know I think we do live in a beautiful world, its only a matter of knowing where to look and what to look for ;) Variety can also be beautiful and I truly agree with the sentiment of AHFOD that all challenges ultimately hold a gift that better our life. I used to be skeptic about this, but by now I´ve noticed it to be very true of all challenges. If you are willing to see the gift, it will be there and the same for the beauty :) Kinda irritating isn't it how our perception is so determinant in what we see ! hehe :) But then again its also an empowering thought :)

• Like 3

Hmm you know I think we do live in a beautiful world, its only a matter of knowing where to look and what to look for ;) Variety can also be beautiful and I truly agree with the sentiment of AHFOD that all challenges ultimately hold a gift that better our life. I used to be skeptic about this, but by now I´ve noticed it to be very true of all challenges. If you are willing to see the gift, it will be there and the same for the beauty :) Kinda irritating isn't it how our perception is so determinant in what we see ! hehe :) But then again its also an empowering thought :)

How come I agree with every single thing you say? :)

• Like 1

How come I agree with every single thing you say? :)

Birds of a feather? Brothers in arms? *lol* Nice when you find people you can relate too :D *clinks a mug of mead with you*

Btw I like your nickname and for some reason it always reminds me of Harry Potter, I have not figured out why yet haha :)

Birds of a feather? Brothers in arms? *lol* Nice when you find people you can relate too :D *clinks a mug of mead with you*

Btw I like your nickname and for some reason it always reminds me of Harry Potter, I have not figured out why yet haha :)

Haha it is nice indead. Speaking of movie franchises, I'm assuming Jedi Leo means Jedi as is Star Wars? :D

• Like 1

Haha it is nice indead. Speaking of movie franchises, I'm assuming Jedi Leo means Jedi as is Star Wars? :D

You bet! I am huge star wars fan :D I´d be on a star wars forum too if only my life allowed me regular free time. I hope it does soon! haha :) You like SW? :)

You bet! I am huge star wars fan :D I´d be on a star wars forum too if only my life allowed me regular free time. I hope it does soon! haha :) You like SW? :)

Yes! I can't say that I'm a superfan, but I do love the rich history of the SW universe :) I'm actually trying to get more in to it! But truly, I am more of a Marvel fan :)

• Like 1