✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do I dislike AHFOD so much?

Guest howyousawtheworld

The Beatles, The Beach Boys, U2, The Flaming Lips - all serious artists that showed they could have 'fun' without descending into garish mainstream pop shit.

To distill the argument into mainstream pop cack vs tortured soul music as you have done is basic in the extreme.

My comment was solely about the dancing, not about the type of music. That Chris dancing is seen as frivolous and unserious and not respectable. The Chris sitting on the piano singing Everglow or Trouble is not more respectable to me than the Chris jumping around during ASFOS. That was just my point and opinion. And I dont consider Coldplay as mainstream pop shit.

• Like 2

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Beatles, The Beach Boys, U2, The Flaming Lips - all serious artists that showed they could have 'fun' without descending into garish mainstream pop shit.

To distill the argument into mainstream pop cack vs tortured soul music as you have done is basic in the extreme.

U2 not descending into "garish mainstream pop shit"? you must not have heard POP then. I would'nt call POP or AHFOD too as mainstream pop shit. both albums are great.

• Like 1

U2 not descending into "garish mainstream pop shit"? you must not have heard POP then. I would'nt call POP or AHFOD too as mainstream pop shit. both albums are great.

Pop is about a million miles away from AHFOD. AHFOD is utter Pop mainstream whereas "Pop" by U2 isn't. Listen to the heavy guitar on Mofo or Discotheque for example, theres more guitar in those two songs than the whole of AHFOD. Then you have the heavier songs in Pop like Gone, Staring at the Sun, Please, If You wear That Velvet Dress, Last Night on Earth etc etc. Totally, completely different to AHFOD and a thousand times better, the two albums aret even comparable.

• Like 1

Pop is about a million miles away from AHFOD. AHFOD is utter Pop mainstream whereas "Pop" by U2 isn't. Listen to the heavy guitar on Mofo or Discotheque for example, theres more guitar in those two songs than the whole of AHFOD. Then you have the heavier songs in Pop like Gone, Staring at the Sun, Please, If You wear That Velvet Dress etc etc. Totally different to AHFOD and a thousand times better.

opinions opinions. ok.

• Like 1

your turning your opinions into fact. ok indeed.

No im not, I'm saying Pop is nothing like AHFOD which you said it was. Pop doesn't venture anywhere near mainstream pop music. It sticks to traditional U2 sounds mixed with a Pop/dance vibe on certain parts (Mofo Discotheque and Miami and even they're not mainstream) but for the most it's heavy U2. It's nothing like the synth laden, syrupy sounding AHFOD and is not at all mainstream pop.

No im not, I'm saying Pop is nothing like AHFOD which you said it was. Pop doesn't venture anywhere near mainstream pop music. It sticks to traditional U2 sounds mixed with a Pop/dance vibe on certain parts (Mofo Discotheque and Miami and even they're not mainstream) but for the most it's heavy U2. It's nothing like the synth laden, syrupy sounding AHFOD and is not at all mainstream pop.

yeah, that's why they mixed it with POP and dance vibes.. it's the emerging trend in the late 90s. what can be more mainstream than that? whether or not its good or bad mainstream pop, it's a matter of opinion and points of view. Just like whether AHFOD's mainstream is good or bad pop is a matter of opinion, differing points of view.

yeah, that's why they mixed it with POP and dance vibes.. it's the emerging trend in the late 90s. what can be more mainstream than that? whether or not its good or bad mainstream pop, it's a matter of opinion and points of view. Just like whether AHFOD's mainstream is good or bad pop is a matter of opinion, differing points of view.

There was a dance vibe on 3 songs, the rest was quite traditional U2 with a slightly different production ,it wasn't pop mainstream. All The You Can't Leave Behind was more mainstream than Pop.

Thanks! If we allowed all posts to abide by the 'hey they're doing something that they love, woo goo, COLDPLAY ARE THE BEST LOL' then it's helpless.

I think people should start treating them and judging them by their musical standards as opposed to who they are as people. I listen to them to seek good music, not because I like who they are which, judging by a lot of posts on here, is the way it goes for some people. Being nice guys means fuck all when you're creating shit, uninspired music.

I genuinely think Chris Martin could take a shit on stage, wrap it in a towel and fling it at the audience and some fan girls/fan boys on here would bang on about how much they loved it.

Some people like the music more because of the people behind it... If you want the best music, why the hell are you here? Go listen to Radiohead, or Muse, or even Oasis (if they're still around)... Even U2 are probably more credible nowadays (I'm not saying that the people behind these bands are not good people, just that usually they are considered technically more brilliant). They don't put out "crap" like Coldplay.

I'm not saying I'll accept anything that Coldplay put out, what I am saying however is that Coldplay have always challenged perceptions... previously softly and quietly, but with this album, they are just putting it out there and being more obvious about it than ever before... How about trying to listen to what they are trying to say / express with the album and be respectful if one doesn't connect with the material, rather than just slagging them off... It's not Coldplay's fault that fans have jaded and cynical opinions - fans who think this band have lost it / sold out are the ones with the problem, not the band! The band themselves have expressed their own views on what they are doing / trying to achieve with this album, and very sincerely at that - it'd be very high and mighty of anyone to actually dispute them on those intentions - you can of course (it's all a matter of opinion), but you will not win the "fact" debate...

And if "fans" won't believe what the band is telling them, why the hell are they still "fans"? The more accurate term would be bitter, disenfranchised "ex-fans", because technically this person is so disconnected to them that he/she won't even take what the band are saying at face value anymore... One might well like their older music (have been a fan), but you'd be hard-pressed to argue that they are still a fan if they hate their new music so much - what is there left to love except a shadow of the band's old selves if one can't love / at least see a glimmer of hope in their new selves?

• Like 3

There was a dance vibe on 3 songs, the rest was quite traditional U2 with a slightly different production ,it wasn't pop mainstream. All The You Can't Leave Behind was more mainstream than Pop.

i've listened to POP quite a few times, one of the best U2 albums in my opinion. the production is as mainstream as it gets, back in the late 90s.

i've listened to POP quite a few times, one of the best U2 albums in my opinion. the production is as mainstream as it gets, back in the late 90s.

It is a great album, has aged very well too. Not entirely sure the production or sound was pop mainstream in the 90s, I remember buying it the day it came out and didn't think that back then (aside from the 3 songs I mentioned).

I know you like to hammer your point by continuously repeating it but it just isn't true. I'v been listening to U2 all my life and I don't know how old you were when Pop was released but the album was not mainstream and it absolutely did not conform to the mainstream popular culture and trends. To compare ANY of their work or their musicianship to Coldplay is absurd.

• Like 1

Thanks! If we allowed all posts to abide by the 'hey they're doing something that they love, woo goo, COLDPLAY ARE THE BEST LOL' then it's helpless.

I think people should start treating them and judging them by their musical standards as opposed to who they are as people. I listen to them to seek good music, not because I like who they are which, judging by a lot of posts on here, is the way it goes for some people. Being nice guys means fuck all when you're creating shit, uninspired music.

I genuinely think Chris Martin could take a shit on stage, wrap it in a towel and fling it at the audience and some fan girls/fan boys on here would bang on about how much they loved it.

i genuinely think that if ever chris martin finds a cure for cancer, there are people on here that would still hate him and spew hate on him.

• Like 1

i genuinely think that if ever chris martin finds a cure for cancer, there are people on here that would still hate him and spew hate on him.

"Chris has sold his soul to the devil, he's only done it to gain more popularity! He isn't even making music, just curing cancer!"

Just kidding [emoji6]

I know you like to hammer your point by continuously repeating it but it just isn't true. I'v been listening to U2 all my life and I don't know how old you were when Pop was released but the album was not mainstream and it absolutely did not conform to the mainstream popular culture and trends. To compare ANY of their work or their musicianship to Coldplay is absurd.

1. I love how you hammer your point by saying stuff like shit, absurd, etc.

2. Cool, another opinion being turned to fact. really cool.

That has to be one of the nastiest comments I've read on Coldplaying. I know it may be very difficult for you, but when posting please try to avoid reactionary behavior fueled by emotions.

I already love the man and I'm sure if he came up with a cure for something I've felt very closely I would appreciate him even more. The same would apply for everyone else.

That has to be one of the nastiest comments I've read on Coldplaying. I know it may be very difficult for you, but when posting please try to avoid reactionary behavior fueled by emotions.

I already love the man and I'm sure if he came up with a cure for a something I've felt very closely I would appreciate him even more. The same would apply for everyone else.

the point being, whatever chris martin does, people will either love everything he does, or hate him for everything he does... im sure using words like "shit" is nastier than that ;)

• Like 1

I already love the man and I'm sure if he came up with a cure for a something I've felt very closely I would appreciate him even more. The same would apply for everyone else.

THIS is the nastiest? Not the one calling Chris a retard? Now THAT's a reactionary behavior fueled comment. And I'm sure bono's post wasn't directed at you anyway :)

• Like 2

the point being, whatever chris martin does, people will either love everything he does, or hate him for everything he does... im sure using words like "shit" is nastier than that ;)

I try to avoid arguing with keyboard warriors, especially those who showcase the mental capacity and maturity of a 10 year old.