✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do I dislike AHFOD so much?

Guest howyousawtheworld

*checks his passport and drivers license* nope, definitely not Chris Martin, still very much Leo haha

I can relate to a lot of the stuff he talks about though and I tend to be very high and very low like he apparently gets. Also I dance as badly as he does lol

You just don't have the millions of girls wanting you ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was meant as in "I'd really like it if among the hundreds of fan messages that may or may not reach them by teenage fangirls telling them how A Sky Full Of Stars was the best song ever I think it would be cool if critical perceptions like this one were among it"

I really do agree here though.

Radiohead have a song called Fake Plastic Trees, and this title reminds me that was Coldplay is trying to express and make at the moment would qualify as fake plastic pop.

LOL

Chris Martin has become a bit of an embarrassment. The jumping around, crotch grabbing, the grabbing the Teenage girls hands on stage, the colored clothes etc, etc. He's turned into the member of a boyband at the age of 38 and dragged the rest of Coldplay with him, they're nothing much more than a Beats promoting commercial vehicle now trying to market themselves to the mass market . I'd have hoped he'd be maturing and his music would be evolving and getting more mature and intelligent but he's literally, musically, creatively going backwards. It couldn't be further from what I am and what I loved about them in the first place.

AHFOD shocks me, it's like the unravelling of a great band on record. An album devoid of any sort of songwriting craft or intelligence.

Sorry but the "they're nothing much more than a Beats promoting commercial vehicle" thing is wrong.

As for the other stuff, well Twisted Logic hinted at this. Maybe they're going backwards right now, but then they're going forwards again soon, but then backwards again, then forwards, then... You get the point :D

• Like 1

Sorry but the "they're nothing much more than a Beats promoting commercial vehicle" thing is wrong.

As for the other stuff, well Twisted Logic hinted at this. Maybe they're going backwards right now, but then they're going forwards again soon, but then backwards again, then forwards, then... You get the point :D

Dancing apes, pop chart radio fodder, multi colored stadium tours, star guests. All very much commercial marketing to sell records and make money,i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it has come from their record company.

It’s hard for me to comprehend. The band I loved and grew up with, the band I had stored in my cd player at all times when travelling to and from school every weekday. Big, soaring, ecstatic stadium rock that ticked all the boxes for me. While I never listened out much to the lyrics in song, it was Coldplay’s melodies that always struck me. I always sound out Coldplay for melody first and everything else second. It always has been that way for me and always will. And Coldplay’s melodies always talked to me. They always soared but they were always clipped by a dash of melancholy (NOT sentimentality as some lazy music journalists insist) that has more or less reflected my own personality. A sense of sombreness in the here and now yet fails to temper my own ambitions for the future or escapist, summery visions in my mind. That was what Coldplay did so well and that’s what I latched on to them for. Sadness yet hopeful. Sombre but beautiful.

I’m not a happy go lucky sort of guy. I’m not someone who ‘dances’ to music and I’m not someone who seeks out music to be energised... impossible to enjoy music that is telling us how much fun they are having. So you’re living it up in Malibu with Beyonce, Jay Z and co. So what? How IS THAT suppose to speak to me? Am I suppose to enjoy you singing about how great your life is, living it up with your countless string of Hollywood A list girlfriends, your promenade walks down golden beaches when at the same time I’m walking down a filthy wet street in a city I’ve grown to hate working for something that I’ve lost the passion for? I don’t want to hear about that...

For sure, I’d love the warm comforts that LA has to offer. I’d love to have the sun. I’d love to have a mansion I’d love to have the private surf board sessions and....Being aware that other people are aware that everything might not be rosy but things can turn out for the best?....Being told how wonderful this guy’s life is in sunny LA? I have no hope.

I'm sorry... Did you miss the whole Chris and Gwenyth getting divorced thing? After all that I'm mot aurprised the guy wants to write about happy stuff, the dude just lost like half of his heart. Plus is seems to me like your personal issues are interpreting the way you look at Coldplay's output...It's not Coldplay's fault it's yours. PLUS when people write songs, and I happen to be a songwriter, we write about things thatve happened to us in our life and the things we want to say but can't and how we view our lives. Chris is not viewing life in a Parachutes-AROBTTH type way anymore nor is he fallen in love again (unless you count annabelle) so there is no X&Y. He's happy. He writes. Boom. Deal with it or listen to Adele.

• Like 2

Dancing apes, pop chart radio fodder, multi colored stadium tours, star guests. All very much commercial marketing to sell records and make money,i wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it has come from their record company.

Just because something sells and makes money it doesn't mean it has no value unto itself other than to make money or has been created primarily with the intent to make money. Also since when "dancing apes" are a sure fire way to sell something? LOL And something like the xylobands as far as I understood were quite expensive and ultimately unnecessary to "attract the crowds". People would have flooded to the concerts anyway, with or without xylobands and confetti. They were done for other reasons, maybe the very same reasons Coldplay have cited multiple times in the interviews? Maybe, just maybe they are telling the truth :)

Arguably the hits that truly made it to the top charts and were most successful were the likes of Yellow, Clocks and Fix You. Are they then all radio fodder to you? I know many seem to live by the equation: if it sells massively or successfully it must be shit, if its obscure, critically acclaimed and only found in the darkest corner of a record store then it must be prime art. I never quite subscribed to that black and white view. But hey to each their own view of the world, eh? :)

• Like 3

It's clear what's happening, they are trying to be young and cool again. That's why they love one direction and Justin beiber. It's sad to see what they have become now. Chris Martin mentions one direction in almost every interview and it's so cringe.

Hopefully one day they'll suddenly wake up and think 'wtf have we been doing for the past 7 years'. Sadly that day will never come though.

MX is easily their worst album, it goes without saying. It's one big mess. I look forward to MX part 3 in the near future. Maybe a collaboration with Justin beiber as well. Exciting times.

• Like 2

I certainly dont share Chris´s enthusiasm for One Direction and Justin Bieber haha But then again I must admit in all honesty I only know one One Direction song (the one they duetted with Ariana Grande) and probably 3 Bieber songs, so Im ignorant in this regard hehe

Chris though just seems like a very positive fair bloke imo who tries to see the best in everyone. I prefer that than the usual cynicism which inevitably ends up being hurtful. I do like that for example in the GS interview with Lowe , when he was pressed to sneer at One Direction as being sub par music, he totally went the other way and regarded them equally to other artists. I mean I can see why people would talk of quality artists and crap artists, but I like the way Chris treats them all respectfully.

Chris Martin has become a bit of an embarrassment. The jumping around, crotch grabbing, the grabbing the Teenage girls hands on stage, the colored clothes etc, etc. He's turned into the member of a boyband at the age of 38 and dragged the rest of Coldplay with him, they're nothing much more than a Beats promoting commercial vehicle now trying to market themselves to the mass market . I'd have hoped he'd be maturing and his music would be evolving and getting more mature and intelligent but he's literally, musically, creatively going backwards. It couldn't be further from what I am and what I loved about them in the first place.

AHFOD shocks me, it's like the unravelling of a great band on record. An album devoid of any sort of songwriting craft or intelligence.

Totally agree with this comment ! Except for one thing - when did he ever do crotch grabbing ? I've never seen him do that...

Just because something sells and makes money it doesn't mean it has no value unto itself other than to make money or has been created primarily with the intent to make money. Also since when "dancing apes" are a sure fire way to sell something? LOL And something like the xylobands as far as I understood were quite expensive and ultimately unnecessary to "attract the crowds". People would have flooded to the concerts anyway, with or without xylobands and confetti. They were done for other reasons, maybe the very same reasons Coldplay have cited multiple times in the interviews? Maybe, just maybe they are telling the truth :)

Arguably the hits that truly made it to the top charts and were most successful were the likes of Yellow, Clocks and Fix You. Are they then all radio fodder to you? I know many seem to live by the equation: if it sells massively or successfully it must be shit, if its obscure, critically acclaimed and only found in the darkest corner of a record store then it must be prime art. I never quite subscribed to that black and white view. But hey to each their own view of the world, eh? :)

Clocks, Fix You and Yellow didn't sound like they'd been artificially created for the charts, virtually every song on AHFOD does, from the songwriting to the production clinical and cheesy. It sounds like Chris has sat down and thought "how can I make it to number 1 and be cool and current". He's thrown the full works at it, Beyonce, Noel Gallagher, Tove Lo, even Gweneth and Obama! It's all a mess and just sounds like a desperate ploy to make it to the top.

Up to VLV, it sounded like they cared about the quality and not the quantity of sales, now it sounds like they care about the quantity of sales and not the quality.

I still stick by the thought that AHFOD sounds like the breakdown of Coldplay on record, it's such a mess of production and ideas with no clear goal or thread of thought through it.

It's clear what's happening, they are trying to be young and cool again. That's why they love one direction and Justin beiber. It's sad to see what they have become now. Chris Martin mentions one direction in almost every interview and it's so cringe.

Hopefully one day they'll suddenly wake up and think 'wtf have we been doing for the past 7 years'. Sadly that day will never come though.

MX is easily their worst album, it goes without saying. It's one big mess. I look forward to MX part 3 in the near future. Maybe a collaboration with Justin beiber as well. Exciting times.

No way is MX their worst album. It has Princess of China but other than that it's a pretty good album: Waterfall, UFO, Charlie Brown, US Against the World.

• Like 3

They moved on, some fans stayed the same. Things change. They own nothing to us and writing letters to them is ridiculous. They will never ever sound like Oldplay again. No one will. I used to seek comfort in them too but now only hope that they write good melodic music with non cringe-worthy lyrics. There is more than one emotion out there. See You Soon is just as good as Charlie Brown even though they are diametrically opposite. They just move me and fill me with different but immense emotions.

Yes. I will never understand why Coldplay feels entitled to certain sounds or songs. So what if you don't want to dance? Does that mean your favorite artists and bands has to sit in a boring box and do nothing but the same?

Clocks, Fix You and Yellow didn't sound like they'd been artificially created for the charts, virtually every song on AHFOD does, from the songwriting to the production clinical and cheesy. It sounds like Chris has sat down and thought "how can I make it to number 1 and be cool and current". He's thrown the full works at it, Beyonce, Noel Gallagher, Tove Lo, even Gweneth and Obama! It's all a mess and just sounds like a desperate ploy to make it to the top.

Up to VLV, it sounded like they cared about the quality and not the quantity of sales, now it sounds like they care about the quantity of sales and not the quality.

I still stick by the thought that AHFOD sounds like the breakdown of Coldplay on record, it's such a mess of production and ideas with no clear goal or thread of thought through it.

Dude, they have said over and over and over they could not care less about if people like them or like AHFOD. And how has the band degraded their quality since Viva? I swear, this argument is repeated with every album since X&Y -- and I wasn't even a fan until 2008. I get the feeling a lot of people (of fans of any band) can't accept things change, even if it's not the direction you wanted them to.

OP is bitter as fuck.

• Like 3

Very true. After reading all of these comments it makes me wonder if Chris and CP ever really thought about what their fans like in the first place? Maybe they don't care. Maybe it isn't a bad thing. Maybe they see themselves as artists (when I say artists think of Matisse) who create what they want when they want and how they please and if you don't like it too bad. I say this because they seem to be totally unconcerned about what their old fans think of this album.

Maybe if we see them as true artists us old cp fans won't be so disappointed in their new album.

Clocks, Fix You and Yellow didn't sound like they'd been artificially created for the charts, virtually every song on AHFOD does, from the songwriting to the production

Birds is classic Coldplay melody, Amazing Day is hardly popular (more like old fashioned 50s track), the title track has U2 written all over it, I could go on :) Clearly we hear different things. I will agree in saying that the production and the style of sound used (in connection with Stargate) is quite reminiscent of other pop songs out there, namely because Stargate works with pop artists as far as I could understand.

But do I see Chris sitting up in the middle of the night (with his insomnia) masterfully plotting on a piece of paper the "10 steps to writing a song that will climb the chart" with Will, Guy and Jonny hungrily rubbing their hands together at the prospect of more fame and more money? Ehhhhh no. *LOL*

• Like 2

Very true. After reading all of these comments it makes me wonder if Chris and CP ever really thought about what their fans like in the first place? Maybe they don't care. Maybe it isn't a bad thing. Maybe they see themselves as artists (when I say artists think of Matisse) who create what they want when they want and how they please and if you don't like it too bad. I say this because they seem to be totally unconcerned about what their old fans think of this album.

Maybe if we see them as true artists us old cp fans won't be so disappointed in their new album.

I think Chris has made this album in an attempt to stay "relevant" and "cool", I think it very obvious. I don't think he cares about older fans who liked Coldplays earlier work, in his mind he's "moved on" to "poppy"(poopy) and "hip" places and rock is dead anyway.

• Like 1

I say this because they seem to be totally unconcerned about what their old fans think of this album.

I agree. And I do believe an artist should be true to his/her vision and thats it. A lot of artists are unfortunately not in a position to being able to live off their art :/ But this is what art should be imo: a vision, a song, a message, a rhyme truthfully coming from someone´s heart and mind.

• Like 1

And how has the band degraded their quality since Viva?

I'm sorry, what ? Just watch live performances from 2003 and compare them to what we have now, and you'll see that all this earnestness and rawness has made way to jumping around like Teletubbies on drugs.

With the band "trying to be cool", particularly CM... A few things, he and the band have said that they have never been particularly cool... They are just putting out their own interpretation of it, and I guess this is it (he may be exploring some things he didn't get to do as a young person, you know... let him have his fun - and the band as well). Secondly, particularly for the lead singer, he has mentioned his kids love Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber (iirc), and they named Ariana Grande as the person to collaborate with for Global Citizen... Lighten up guys - he probably sees this as a chance to connect with his kids and be cool to them - might as well be happy doing that (well he's got to do something, so must as well become the good parent and see the good side)... It may not be truly his thing, but hey if it connects him to his kids, I'm sure he will try his hardest! Did it occur to anyone that they may have their own kids / similarly aged people in mind?

I think Chris has made this album in an attempt to stay "relevant" and "cool"

I think you got it backwards. They finally have fully embraced that they ´re not and never have been and never will be "cool", so they just go for it, full well knowing that there are people who will call them cheesy, hippie, fake, boring, etc...You speak as if making an album like AHFOD makes you cool *LOL* I mean have you read most reviews? It so does not make you cool to scream at the top of your lungs "believe in love". At best you will get a shrug, at worst they will call you the cheesiest and fakest (its not a word I know haha) person on the planet hehe

They´ve always been made fun of for wearing their heart on their sleeves, whether it was being too melancholic (bed wetters) or now being too happy (it cant be genuine, it must be fake). I guess in the end they went "to hell with it..we´ll just do what we fell and hope there will always be enough people to relate for us to go on as a band" :)

• Like 2

I'm sorry, what ? Just watch live performances from 2003 and compare them to what we have now, and you'll see that all this earnestness and rawness has made way to jumping around like Teletubbies on drugs.

Ok I know I am probably wasting my proverbial cyber breath stating this once again...but not all people who dance around happy are fake or on drugs. Just because you never find yourself in that state of mind, it doesn't mean others dont. Just because you´re sad it doesn't make you automatically "raw and earnest" (ever heard of crocodile tears?), there is such a thing as raw and earnest happiness. If there were not and the only true "raw" emotions were sadness and melancholia in life, well wtf I would not bother with life at all LOL

• Like 3

Some of the comments in this thread are insane. I don't give a shit how many celebrity friends Chris hangs out with, or how many fangirls he tries to impress by grabbing his rainbow coloured pants, I just want to listen to music I enjoy.

It would be nice to listen to good music which I don't hear much of from Coldplay these days.