✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why do I dislike AHFOD so much?

Guest howyousawtheworld

Chris Martin has become a bit of an embarrassment. The jumping around... I'd have hoped he'd be maturing and his music would be evolving and getting more mature and intelligent but he's literally, musically, creatively going backwards. I

Hmm yeah if only it were that easy. All people jumping around are embarrassing and silly and stupid and all people not jumping around are intelligent, deep and mature. Nah...I dont buy it sorry :) I have plenty of examples that contradict that view of the world.

I know its hard for a lot of people to grasp (as there are probably not many examples of this!), but some people can indeed be very versatile, jump up and down and be happy and have a good time and then sit down with you talking about "alchemizing" the pain in your life...just saying.

• Like 3

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you got it backwards. They finally have fully embraced that they ´re not and never have been and never will be "cool", so they just go for it, full well knowing that there are people who will call them cheesy, hippie, fake, boring, etc...You speak as if making an album like AHFOD makes you cool *LOL* I mean have you read most reviews? It so does not make you cool to scream at the top of your lungs "believe in love". At best you will get a shrug, at worst they will call you the cheesiest and fakest (its not a word I know haha) person on the planet hehe

They´ve always been made fun of for wearing their heart on their sleeves, whether it was being too melancholic (bed wetters) or now being too happy (it cant be genuine, it must be fake). I guess in the end they went "to hell with it..we´ll just do what we fell and hope there will always be enough people to relate for us to go on as a band" :)

I hear a lot of cheesy "believe in love" type lyrics from 1D and boy bands. The fangirls go crazy for it "Chris is sooooo cute"...... $$$$another million albums sold.

I'll just add that even real artists produce crap. And AHFOD isn't their best work

Yeah I dont think there is a connection between how "good" a work is or how a true an artist is. As long as they are making art that truly reflects who they are, it can be deemed great or crap, as long as its a genuine expression thats what makes someone a real artist I guess.

I hear a lot of cheesy "believe in love" type lyrics from 1D and boy bands. The fangirls go crazy for it.

Hmm yeah coming from a 18-year-old does not have the same effect as coming from four blokes in their late 30s LOL Clearly "adults" are supposed to be jaded , cynic and at the most mildly optimistic. Anything else will put you up to ridicule. Coldplay know that perfectly well, but like they said I guess they dont care anymore and have decided to just be themselves.

• Like 2

Ok I know I am probably wasting my proverbial cyber breath stating this once again...but not all people who dance around happy are fake or on drugs. Just because you never find yourself in that state of mind, it doesn't mean others dont. Just because you´re sad it doesn't make you automatically "raw and earnest" (ever heard of crocodile tears?), there is such a thing as raw and earnest happiness. If there were not and the only true "raw" emotions were sadness and melancholia in life, well wtf I would not bother with life at all LOL

First off, I am not sure whether you have mistaken me with the OP - I am often in an upbeat state of mind, too. And sometimes I want to dance to music. Only most of the modern dance music, Coldplay's included, doesn't feel very profound.

A common misconception is that being an Oldplayer means you only like sad songs. That's not true - I for myself can say that love Crests Of Waves and Viva La Vida for example.

But please compare the band's gestures and vibe in these two videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idib6gX9ueY

(And why am I actually wasting my cyber breath here ? :) I think I'll go back to the Oldplaying thread...)

First off, I am not sure whether you have mistaken me with the OP - I am often in an upbeat state of mind, too. And sometimes I want to dance to music. Only most of the modern dance music, Coldplay's included, doesn't feel very profound.

A common misconception is that being an Oldplayer means you only like sad songs. That's not true - I for myself can say that love Crests Of Waves and Viva La Vida for example.

(And why am I actually wasting my cyber breath here ? :) I think I'll go back to the Oldplaying thread...)

Nah, I was replying simply to your post and the words you used there :) Raw, earnest = not happy music is what I got from it :) "Sometimes I want to dance to music" almost sounds like a guilty admission *LOL* I agree about a lot a lot of dance music not sounding meaningful at all. I guess most people dancing dont care about anything other than a song with a good beat. Im not like that. I need to feel a song in order to enjoy singing or dancing to it and Coldplay fit the bill for me.

About the two videos:

And why is dancing and rolling on the floor being happy bad, while standing still singing looking sad is good and acceptable? Not getting it :) to me it just looks like a band who is having more fun than they ever did before. But like everything, people will see what they want to see, me and you included.

And nah lets continue "wasting our cyber breath" here LOL

Such a bizzare turn around from guys that look like serious artists to Chris looking like he wants to be Justin Bieber and wondering which fangirl he wants that night. Really incredible.

Nah, I was replying simply to your post and the words you used there :) Raw, earnest = not happy music is what I got from it :) "Sometimes I want to dance to music" almost sounds like a guilty admission *LOL* I agree about a lot a lot of dance music not sounding meaningful at all. I guess most people dancing dont care about anything other than a song with a good beat. Im not like that. I need to feel a song in order to enjoy singing or dancing to it and Coldplay fit the bill for me.

About the two videos:

And why is dancing and rolling on the floor being happy bad, while standing still singing looking sad is good and acceptable? Not getting it :) to me it just looks like a band who is having more fun than they ever did before. But like everything, people will see what they want to see, me and you included.

And nah lets continue "wasting our cyber breath" here LOL

You have a point to be honest, Bono gyrating around on stage springs to mind. Doesn't really detract from U2s music.

Such a bizzare turn around from guys that look like serious artists to Chris looking like he wants to be Justin Bieber and wondering which fangirl he wants that night. Really incredible.

You proved my point exactly. For a lot of people its unthinkable that a serious artist could dance and have fun. He has got to be a tortured soul, otherwise he is not genuine. I respect your point of view, but I cant agree with it and I think its a bit old-fashioned. I have in my life both been very serious and somber and also jumped around happy and smiling like a child...am I then genuine during the former, fake during the latter? I hardly think so :)

I am more weary of people taking themselves too seriously than people taking things lightly. The former actually tend to want to please more than the latter.

• Like 2

I'll add this... I love AHFOD but not in a Coldplay kinda way. It's an album I would love if a pop star made it.

It'll never go down as one of my favorite albums like... Parachutes... or even Ghost Stories.

There's a glimmer of hope though- in a recent radio interview Chris said "Well, I feel like once we go on stage now- we'll have a diverse selection of songs to pull from. Nothing is missing." when he was asked if they'd gone pop now.

I think they will return to classic form...maybe not completely. But if Coldplay does return to rock after doing this kind of album, I'll love them even more.

If they fully go to pop, they'll probably nudge a step down in my list of favorite all-time bands.

• Like 1

I'll add this... I love AHFOD but not in a Coldplay kinda way. It's an album I would love if a pop star made it.

If they fully go to pop, they'll probably nudge a step down in my list of favorite all-time bands.

Fair enough :) But then you do like pop, you just dont like Coldplay doing pop...did I get it right? :)

For the record I would not like Coldplay ONLY doing pop songs for the rest of my life *LOL* I hardly think they will though. That they are versatile is a thing I love about them, it´d be sad to have them stuck in only one genre, whatever that may be, pop or rock or hip hop :) Also should they make an album where only synths feature, no Jonny riffs , no Will drums, nothing, I´d honestly not buy it :) I just love the organic sound too much and yeah without those organic elements it would indeed be music any pop star could perform/write.

• Like 1

Quite simple :

The critics just select the stuff they hate (especially now about AHFOD) and forget about they are still doing some of their very best work (Clocks, Yellow or VLV ) on stage. Probably more are going to be added. And I see them putting the same effort and passion into it like they ever did. I think the way Chris threatens his piano in Clocks is a very good example here. And there are obviously songs like ASFOS or AOAL meant to move and dance around on stage.

Again, rewatch their Toronto gig in 2006 ,he already behaved like that back then. At the very beginning he was more like a shy school guy, so the others were. And now they found the joy to express themselves. And I really like them as being that happy Band as they are now. Especially the kind way they behave with their fans,even backstage.

Finally, its kinda funny :

Some did blame them before the release of AHFOD for it becoming to poppy. In fact, all of us have been quite aware what to expect.

And now all those people just intensify their criticism like the style and direction of AHFOD would have been a big surprise. Ridiculous.

Just my two cents

• Like 1

Honestly, sometimes I wonder why some people here are still Coldplay fans when they don't even like their music anymore. I'm not saying this in a "You're not a true fan!" kind of way, I just don't understand how you can be a fan of something you genuinly dislike.

I'm sorry, what ? Just watch live performances from 2003 and compare them to what we have now, and you'll see that all this earnestness and rawness has made way to jumping around like Teletubbies on drugs.

You say it like it's a fact. It's an opinion.

Honestly, sometimes I wonder why some people here are still Coldplay fans when they don't even like their music anymore. I'm not saying this in a "You're not a true fan!" kind of way, I just don't understand how you can be a fan of something you genuinly dislike.

You can be a fan of someone and not like everything they put out and yet still like them. For example do you like every movie your favorite actor has put out? Probably not. And if one can't admit it either one has low standards or they are either incredibly childish in their devotion. Not saying that's you, that's just in general.

• Like 1

You can be a fan of someone and not like everything they put out and yet still like them. For example do you like every movie your favorite actor has put out? Probably not. And if one can't admit it either one has low standards or they are either incredibly childish in their devotion. Not saying that's you, that's just in general.

Yeah I get it. I don't really like some Coldplay songs too (Major Minus and Shiver come to mind) but I still like Coldplay. However, in this case we're talking not liking the output of an artist for almost 6 years. I personally would go after another artist if they produce "crap" for so long.

• Like 1

Yeah I get it. I don't really like some Coldplay songs too (Major Minus and Shiver come to mind) but I still like Coldplay. However, in this case we're talking not liking the output of an artist for almost 6 years. I personally would go after another artist if they produce "crap" for so long.

I am with Rickulus here. NativeGirl I totally agree with your point here. There are a few artists I like pretty much all songs from (some more than others) but you can count them in half a hand maybe ! hehe

So yeah of course as a fan of anything you´re most likely to like only a part of what an artist makes, not everything but Rickulus point is what I ponder too. This is not a case of not liking a few songs or even one album. Its actually the opposite, where one likes only a very minor part of an artist output, perhaps only 2 albums out of 7! :)