✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Performing "Fly On" AMA

RealRece

Hello there everyone! In case you don't know, I was extremely lucky to have introduced the band and performed on stage with Coldplay at Levi's Stadium on Oct. 4th, 2017! It was the most magical thing in the world. I know I messed up soooo much at the beginning due to the delay being extremely tough to get used to. But I got the hang of it around the first verse! So I figured, if you guys want to ask me anything, go ahead! I'd love to chat with everyone! :) if you need a link to the video, here is one that my good friends Jimmy Dushku and Ian (founder of Atlas Project) took!

• Like 19

You were very good and I admire your courage and will. I got goosebumps from your performance. I wish I was so good at performing in public, that was fabulous.

Thank you so much! I was just about to ask Chris to restart but I knew I only had one chance! He kept me going by always complimenting me throughout the whole performance, even when he wasn't singing (he'd whisper to me)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Hello there everyone! In case you don't know, I was extremely lucky to have introduced the band and performed on stage with Coldplay at Levi's Stadium on Oct. 4th, 2017! It was the most magical thing in the world. I know I messed up soooo much at the beginning due to the delay being extremely tough to get used to. But I got the hang of it around the first verse! So I figured, if you guys want to ask me anything, go ahead! I'd love to chat with everyone! :) if you need a link to the video, here is one that my good friends Jimmy Dushku and Ian (founder of Atlas Project) took!

I was there on Wednesday night man and I must say for playing infront of 60k people and not to mention Chris, Guy, Johnny,

and Will you did a very good job, fly on is very rarely played live so that was a real treat. Awesome job!

• Like 1

OMG so it was you ! I never associated the "Rece" on stage with the member "RealRece" on Coldplaying. :D Wow, congratulations !!! You did a great job !

• Like 1

You did a great job!

How does it work with the PA delay, do you essentially not hear what you're playing until a second (seconds?) later?

Great job and congratulations! You are very lucky (and talented of course) :blush: It must have been the most amazing experience for you, let alone getting on stage with the boys, and then performing such a rare song! Did you have a sign that you want to play Fly On on piano or how did it happen? :)

You did a great job!

How does it work with the PA delay, do you essentially not hear what you're playing until a second (seconds?) later?

The delay was killer haha! As I would play the third or fourth eighth note, the first one would play. So there was a delay of about two seconds or so! It was a bit crazy. That's why I mess up at the beginning (mostly with the left hand. It was just trailing behind lol)

Very well done. Aside from rhythm issues due to the delay – I can't even imagine how difficult that is – I must say you played better than Chris did the other night :) Chris also seemed to sing better this time, maybe because he didn't have to play the piano at the same time.

What I'm wondering is: how did you choose a song for your sign? Any other songs you considered? I assume the fact that Fly On was played two shows prior had an influence on your choice; I'd think a sign requesting Gravity wouldn't have worked just as well ;)

• Like 1

Very well done. Aside from rhythm issues due to the delay – I can't even imagine how difficult that is – I must say you played better than Chris did the other night :) Chris also seemed to sing better this time, maybe because he didn't have to play the piano at the same time.

What I'm wondering is: how did you choose a song for your sign? Any other songs you considered? I assume the fact that Fly On was played two shows prior had an influence on your choice; I'd think a sign requesting Gravity wouldn't have worked just as well ;)

Ive actually had this in the planning for over a year now! Maybe even since Ghost Stories came out honestly... it was always such a beautiful song, but I wanted to play it for my grandpa. We talked through it and made it out for the victims of Vegas as well because it was just so important to send the love to everyone!

• Like 4

Been on a somewhat long hiatus from visiting our forums... I was able to get the chance to log back in today, and this is the first thing I saw. Way to go, Rece! So, the plan worked...! Excellent job! I was wondering all these months what you were going to write on your board. Exemplary choice of track to play on piano! The pictures and videos of yourself with the band will be the greatest pieces of your collection! No amount of collector's cds can equate to that! It's the ultimate, brother!

• Like 3

The delay was killer haha! As I would play the third or fourth eighth note, the first one would play. So there was a delay of about two seconds or so! It was a bit crazy. That's why I mess up at the beginning (mostly with the left hand. It was just trailing behind lol)

Wow, that must be so hard. Really well done man!

Chris said in this clip (where he actually kicked the fan from the crowd off of the keyboard because he wasn't so good) that he had his keyboard specially made for him because of the size of his hands..!

Is this really true?

Congratulations on the amazing performance too!

Chris said in this clip (where he actually kicked the fan from the crowd off of the keyboard because he wasn't so good) that he had his keyboard specially made for him because of the size of his hands..!

Is this really true?

Congratulations on the amazing performance too!

The keyboard that he uses for the B-Stage is specially made, I believe. The one on the C-Stage is made more for Will I think

Ive actually had this in the planning for over a year now! Maybe even since Ghost Stories came out honestly... it was always such a beautiful song, but I wanted to play it for my grandpa. We talked through it and made it out for the victims of Vegas as well because it was just so important to send the love to everyone!

Wow, then you were really lucky that Chris played it recently, so that he had the lyrics fresh in his mind! It’s a beautiful song indeed.

OMG so it was you ! I never associated the "Rece" on stage with the member "RealRece" on Coldplaying. :D Wow, congratulations !!! You did a great job !

I had the same reaction! Nice job man, you are super lucky! I can't imagine playing and having everything be delayed. Especially in front of 60,000 people. Great job!!

• Like 1

I had the same reaction! Nice job man, you are super lucky! I can't imagine playing and having everything be delayed. Especially in front of 60,000 people. Great job!!

Thank you so much Kyle! I was about to PM you too! The delay was crazy lol

Thank you so much Kyle! I was about to PM you too! The delay was crazy lol

Haha so what's your state of mind now? Is it still a surreal experience, and did Chris say anything to you that the mic didn't pick up? Thanks for doing this AMA!

Hey Rece, Did you have to demonstrate to anyone there that you could actually play "Fly On" so well before Chris picked you? I wondered if you'd been able to prove you were capable when they picked you to do the introductory video, otherwise it could have been a train wreck? Either way, you did extremely well my friend, and your Youtube clip and comment brought me here to register. I'm a very keen 58 year old Coldplay fan from way back.

Haha so what's your state of mind now? Is it still a surreal experience, and did Chris say anything to you that the mic didn't pick up? Thanks for doing this AMA!

I still can't believe this all happened. I've been shaking since it happened because I'm still so extremely happy. Chris said a lot to me while he wasn't singing! He would say things like "f***ing beautiful" or "it's so badass that you're doing this" among other really kind and heartfelt comments. It was the best thing in the world. I love Chris so much

Hey Rece, Did you have to demonstrate to anyone there that you could actually play "Fly On" so well before Chris picked you? I wondered if you'd been able to prove you were capable when they picked you to do the introductory video, otherwise it could have been a train wreck? Either way, you did extremely well my friend, and your Youtube clip and comment brought me here to register. I'm a very keen 58 year old Coldplay fan from way back.

I don't even know where to begin! This night was the best night of my life! As Julie (my friend who I took with me) and I were walking into the field after the doors opened, we were approached by Ben, the lead designer of the tour (I can't remember his official title, my apologies) He came up to us and asked about our posters and where we were from and if we've been before, etc... then he asked us if we've heard about the fan introduction videos, and I told him that I thought that they were absolutely amazing and would be awesome to be in one! Then he asked us "Well, do you guys want to do the video?" So we both just looked at each other in shock and instantly said "yes!" He then took us backstage into a production room where we rehearsed the intro video and as we finished, we walked back out to the floor. From that point, we walked to go get some merchandise, because, of course why not? As Alina Baraz and Tove Lo were performing, we got super excited as the anticipation just kept building up and up (pun intended) then our intro video came on and everyone around us was freaking out as we were on the screen! Coldplay came out to the stage and it was just pure magic the whole time. Julie and I headed over to the C-Stage a few songs before the band came over and to the left of us was a few teenagers who were freaking out as they saw us and were like "oh my gosh it's them guys, it's the people from the intro!" And then... just pure... I don't even know how to describe it! The band came up the C-Stage and I held my signs up high (Guy Berryman came up first and smiled at Julie's and my signs!) and then Chris walked up and read my sign and waved but mouthed "let me think about it" and so I was like "oh that's totally fine!" I would have been okay if I didn't go on stage, but... fate had it I would in a moment! It was funny too because I felt so bad because a guy behind me yelled at me to put down my signs. (He comes into play later) So I put them down and the band start playing "In My Place" and end it with a tribute of "Free Falling" then Chris Martin goes to Will Champion (the drummer) and starts having a chat with him. They're nodding to each other and everything and then Chris announces that Will will be singing the next song! (Which was "Don't Panic") and Will almost never takes lead vocals! Then after the song changed... the sheer excitement kicked in so hard. Chris announced to the crowd "we've got this young man here with a beautifully written sign who would like to play a song for us" and the rest is all explained in the videos. He said a lot more before he actually introduced me but it was so crazy. The dude who yelled at me about the signs ended up apologizing. Sweet guy. In the end, none of this was planned. It was all sheer luck and just the best thing ever.

• Like 11