✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

still an album out next year also.... confused?

elroy bo

My wish for LP9 is a VLV 2.0 (I swear them dedicating a track to Brian Eno meant they went groveling back to him. Ha!) or an indie rock album - cause they do it so well (see Major Minus/Charlie Brown/Ghost Story/Birds/COTW as reference).

I thought Orphans is miles better than most of the songs in AHFOD and if Orphans was suppose to be on LP9 and is any indication of the direction of the album, I think be happy.

• Like 3

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m seeing a lot of complaining about this upcoming LP9 so far.

I definitely think Coldplay will return to the pop direction but Coldplay absolutely nail pop in my opinion. Coldplay ‘pop’ singles that get played on the radio are far better than some of the other over produced garbage (sometimes) that gets played now days.

i think it’s wrong to be judging LP9 before we even have a single taste of its sound, we all may be pleasantly surprised about what Coldplay has been bottling up

• Like 3

But guess this is just another GS. *sigh*

At least it seems far more people like this album, and that it's far more ambitious than GS.

So even if we get another album in a few months like AHFOD after GS, lots of people will remember this album as a shining gem in the midst of whatever they consider this pop era for Coldplay.

This makes me a bit sad. To officially call Coldplay 'standard pop' and it is just 100% true. I will never get over how commercial they are now... So it's like, they have to 'justify' their status now and Everyday Life is just a passer-by thing...

Except they aren't really standard pop, and probably never will be.

The closest they've come to that is Los Unidades, but other than that everything they touch has their signature sound, even the more generic pop stuff, you can tell it's Coldplay just from the sound of it, whether we like it or not.

Maybe it's still commercial music but it's definitely not "standard pop", they still put their own twist on it, their own flavor.

I hope you're wrong about LP9 though. I mean, other than Orphans we have no idea what it's going to sound like. I guess we can kind of use GS and AHFOD as a guide but they've never made the same album twice, then again most artists don't. Mylo and AHFOD were fairly similar. I just hope they don't continue down the road of Los Unidades and keep getting poppier and poppier until even I can't stand it anymore. Los Unidades was right on that threshold, they go any further and I'll be with the Oldplay crowd :joy:

Maybe they're trying to make it seem like EL was a passerby thing and something they needed to do, especially Chris being most involved with the state of the world, but there's no telling it won't happen again because GS was the same thing. I definitely think for people like you though it'll remain a shining star amongst the rest of Coldplay's pop era.

What I'd hope for is they'd keep releasing albums in this format, an experimental record and a more accessible record, so we can have the really good experimental music and then the stadium material to retain their status and keep their really colorful concerts, that were filled with energy and I personally loved. I'd so love to go to another one of them again, I went to 2 but neither had the fireworks, I totally need to see those. And I also missed out on the opportunity to play with those massive balloons, I think I touched one but that was it, I wasn't low enough.

Even for just one more time for them to have another bright and colorful world tour like that, I go to concerts for the sheer energy and vibe and most of the time I wouldn't want depressing music playing throughout at least. Probably because my first concert was Coldplay but I could definitely go for something like that again and get the full experience. And also to please my mom who also loved that concert, the wristbands, the balloons, the sheer color and energy...... I don't want them to disappoint my mom, which they may have done this era seeing as there's barely any tour dates this era for obvious reasons, but I think them doing albums in this format for the foreseeable future will please both people like you and my mom, and they're bound to play at least a few tracks from this album on LP9's tour.

Even if they say they don't care what people think about them nowadays, I think it's becoming increasingly clear that they do, if they're catering to both the alternative and the pop crowd.

By the way, I like Champion Of the World a lot, but I think it's the only song that feels like it's part of a different album. There's way weirder stuff on the album, but this song is the biggest outlier to me. Don't know why it feels that way.

That's quite strange tbh. The way I see it, every song on this album is different and unique in some way for the most part.

Orphans stands out the most and feels like it belongs in the AHFOD era sonically, but lyrically it definitely belongs here, and the unique contrast of having a happy pop exterior and darker themes underneath with the lyrics fits the more experimental vibe of this album as well.

EL will be the first album to truly break that mold by not having a clear pop single (save Orphans), and I'd personally like to enjoy this era into 2020, get b-sides, see some live shows etc.

I really like that they totally broke the trend with EL, they didn't even do that with VLV! It saves from Coldplay being too predictable and generic, they really broke out of that mold with this album this time and I couldn't have been happier that they really didn't even follow the same format this time around. I think they've truly evolved as artists, let's hope the next era also shows that, however unlikely that may be.

It's super unlikely we'll hear anything quite like AHFOD again, so rest assured.

But they could definitely do something worse.....

My guess is that they'll release a more world-pop album that's a bit more alternative but perhaps more upbeat and radio-friendly than EL. Maybe more like Los Unidades

Oh please no.. They did that once, I think I'm good if they don't do that again.

I know that they probably released that kind of music under a different name for a very good reason, but it's definitely not the direction I want to hear Coldplay go in.

I'm totally fine with world-music with an alternative vibe to it, but they went a touch too poppy with that EP of theirs.

If they did that for the next album sans the overdone pop, or even something like Orphans, I'd be game.

Our tastes on this song seem to differ greatly. No offense of course but to me, Voodoo is the worst song Coldplay has ever been associated with :D

What?!!?!

Even more than XMTS, Army of One, etc?!!?!

I personally thought that was the shining star of that EP.

My wish for LP9 is a VLV 2.0

You mean 3.0?

This was VLV 2.0, without the tour of course.

I thought Orphans is miles better than most of the songs in AHFOD and if Orphans was suppose to be on LP9 and is any indication of the direction of the album, I think be happy.

You never know, that might mean that Orphans might have been one of the best songs just like AHFOD and the rest might be garbage......

It's a little generic and lazy with the chorus lyrics tbh, but something in that direction, or Church, or COTW I'd be down for.

i think it’s wrong to be judging LP9 before we even have a single taste of its sound

Well we have Orphans, and the things Chris is saying in this era is giving all of us deja vu from GS era, so I think we have a pretty decent idea of where LP9 is headed.

• Like 3

At least it seems far more people like this album, and that it's far more ambitious than GS.

So even if we get another album in a few months like AHFOD after GS, lots of people will remember this album as a shining gem in the midst of whatever they consider this pop era for Coldplay.

Except they aren't really standard pop, and probably never will be.

The closest they've come to that is Los Unidades, but other than that everything they touch has their signature sound, even the more generic pop stuff, you can tell it's Coldplay just from the sound of it, whether we like it or not.

Maybe it's still commercial music but it's definitely not "standard pop", they still put their own twist on it, their own flavor.

I hope you're wrong about LP9 though. I mean, other than Orphans we have no idea what it's going to sound like. I guess we can kind of use GS and AHFOD as a guide but they've never made the same album twice, then again most artists don't. Mylo and AHFOD were fairly similar. I just hope they don't continue down the road of Los Unidades and keep getting poppier and poppier until even I can't stand it anymore. Los Unidades was right on that threshold, they go any further and I'll be with the Oldplay crowd :joy:

Maybe they're trying to make it seem like EL was a passerby thing and something they needed to do, especially Chris being most involved with the state of the world, but there's no telling it won't happen again because GS was the same thing. I definitely think for people like you though it'll remain a shining star amongst the rest of Coldplay's pop era.

What I'd hope for is they'd keep releasing albums in this format, an experimental record and a more accessible record, so we can have the really good experimental music and then the stadium material to retain their status and keep their really colorful concerts, that were filled with energy and I personally loved. I'd so love to go to another one of them again, I went to 2 but neither had the fireworks, I totally need to see those. And I also missed out on the opportunity to play with those massive balloons, I think I touched one but that was it, I wasn't low enough.

Even for just one more time for them to have another bright and colorful world tour like that, I go to concerts for the sheer energy and vibe and most of the time I wouldn't want depressing music playing throughout at least. Probably because my first concert was Coldplay but I could definitely go for something like that again and get the full experience. And also to please my mom who also loved that concert, the wristbands, the balloons, the sheer color and energy...... I don't want them to disappoint my mom, which they may have done this era seeing as there's barely any tour dates this era for obvious reasons, but I think them doing albums in this format for the foreseeable future will please both people like you and my mom, and they're bound to play at least a few tracks from this album on LP9's tour.

Even if they say they don't care what people think about them nowadays, I think it's becoming increasingly clear that they do, if they're catering to both the alternative and the pop crowd.

What a great post this was, thank you for being absolutely rational and objecitve! I agree with you on each and every one of your claims. :) There's nothing else I can add, I fully agree with you. :)

Even the mom part, trust me -my sister took dad to the concert but mom has not had the chance yet. :)

I don’t know. There are many things on EL that pulls itself away from VLV - one of it is cohesiveness. Heh.

It's definitely it's own album away from VLV but this is the first time Coldplay has gone this experimental since then, so even though they have their differences I'd consider it VLV's spiritual successor.

I find the tracklisting awkward for both albums myself.

And thanks @Strawberry Swinger, appreciate it :D

• Like 2

It's definitely it's own album away from VLV but this is the first time Coldplay has gone this experimental since then, so even though they have their differences I'd consider it VLV's spiritual successor.

I find the tracklisting awkward for both albums myself.

And thanks @Strawberry Swinger, appreciate it :D

If there’s a b-side album of VLV, this could be the one. Heh.

• Like 1

Chris just said a few days ago that they won't tour again until it's enviornmentally beneficial. I don't know what this does to the LP9 timeline, but we may have to wait longer for the next album. I agree that I don't want LP9 too soon, I really want to enjoy this era, EL is a very special album, I can already tell it's going to be one of my favorites.

• Like 2