✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What Happened? - New Website Design

stephen

• Administrators

Hey everyone,

As you can see, everything looks different! We moved over from an old server onto a brand new, super powerful server that will massively improve the speed of the website. During the transfer, we decided to take the plunge and change platforms. I was unhappy with the previous forum software as it was not very optimised and very difficult to develop on.

This new platform combines the Forum and News section of the website into one streamlined experience. This will allow me to invite guest writers in to create content for Coldplaying as the experience is much easier. Before it would take hours to write a single article due to software limitations and slowdowns. It will also finally allow us to finish the gallery and downloads section of the website (although that is not the priority at the moment). More hard drive space means we can host much more content and provide streaming video at some point in the future.

Finally I'd like to ask you guys for feedback. At the moment there is a ton of issues, mainly relating to spam and colour mismatches. This design required a heavy amount of custom development, more than any other design in Coldplaying's history so there is bound to be a few issues. I am working to solve all of them right now! Let me know in the meantime what you would like to see/what we need to change.

Look forward to some exciting features and some features returning ?

• Like 9
  • Love 4

• Administrators

Also BBCode is no longer supported. It was introduced in 1998 and was becoming increasingly difficult to work with for me and had a number of limitations. The new editor is much more standardised and modern. BBCode is slowly being phased out on a lot of forums and was discontinued in this version of the sites platform. I will try clean the old code up as much as possible but I recommend creating your signature again!

The design is more modern and functional BUT except the new posts section. I think the new posts section should be on the very top as possible not at the side. Because we -the people who enter the forum at least once a day- are entering to see the new posts. Because we already know what is exists in the forum. I always look for only the new posts because i enter the forum up to 5 times a day. Only time i scroll down to categories is for to look for a concert file or something like that. Also combining news and forum in homepage is a good idea but there isn't any individual news page. Previous homepage wasn't containing forum and this one is nice. But we can't see older news because there isn't any news page. On the visual side with white background is very freshing but in homepage it looks so empty like windows notepad because the sections are white too. Maybe in there you can use gold details like the bands website or you can change the section colors or you can change the font with a bolder one. These are my thoughts on new website design. Instead of my thoughts it's still nice and great work. Thank you for bringing this platform for us.

• Like 2

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Xyloband_99 said:

The design is more modern and functional BUT except the new posts section. I think the new posts section should be on the very top as possible not at the side. Because we -the people who enter the forum at least once a day- are entering to see the new posts. Because we already know what is exists in the forum. I always look for only the new posts because i enter the forum up to 5 times a day. Only time i scroll down to categories is for to look for a concert file or something like that. Also combining news and forum in homepage is a good idea but there isn't any individual news page. Previous homepage wasn't containing forum and this one is nice. But we can't see older news because there isn't any news page. On the visual side with white background is very freshing but in homepage it looks so empty like windows notepad because the sections are white too. Maybe in there you can use gold details like the bands website or you can change the section colors or you can change the font with a bolder one. These are my thoughts on new website design. Instead of my thoughts it's still nice and great work. Thank you for bringing this platform for us.

Just added an 'Older Posts' button that redirects to the news page. There are only four articles at the moment, you can view the old archived articles using the navigation menu at the very bottom of the page. Just click 'News Archive'.

I will see what I can do with the new posts section. I believe the 'Activity' menu will show you all recent activity on the site. The search index is currently being rebuilt so not much is showing up at the moment.

Thank you for the feedback!

The site looks neat!!! Really loving it!!!

Just an idea: Is there any chance to bring "dark mode" to the site? I mean, sometimes I enter the forum late at night and a dark mode will help on those situations. Also, the thumbnails for the news that appear on top of the forum section seem to be kinda big, they could be smaller so they wont take that much space. Loving the new look Stephen!  I was missing the forum already!

Edited by MarckozZ

• Administrators
2 hours ago, MarckozZ said:

The site looks neat!!! Really loving it!!!

Just an idea: Is there any chance to bring "dark mode" to the site? I mean, sometimes I enter the forum late at night and a dark mode will help on those situations. Also, the thumbnails for the news that appear on top of the forum section seem to be kinda big, they could be smaller so they wont take that much space. Loving the new look Stephen!  I was missing the forum already!

A dark mode is in the works! I’m not sure how it will work but I’ve been trying out a few ideas. I will treak the slider on the forum page to make it a bit smaller if I can.

Glad you like it so far, thanks for the feedback!

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for redesigning it! Are the photos and search engine still processing? I've noticed not as many results for old threads come up when searched, and I couldn't open Coldplaying pages directly from Google without going to the main website.

I absolutely second the idea with the New posts button, that's a very important one I think.

Also, two more things:

1. I use Coldplaying a lot on mobile browser, but when I open the forums page now I can't see the notifications and messages buttons in the upper right corner anymore. You first have to open up a menu to get there. From past experience it has really come in handy to see the red number of notifications and messages at a glance.

2. Would it be possible to add back a member's join date to the profile info shown next to the posts ? I think it's so cool to see at a glance whether someone is an old or new member, for a variety of purposes. Also the roles like Honorary Coldplayer etc. seem to be missing.

Thanks for considering ?

• Like 2

• Administrators
22 hours ago, Carolina* said:

Thank you for redesigning it! Are the photos and search engine still processing? I've noticed not as many results for old threads come up when searched, and I couldn't open Coldplaying pages directly from Google without going to the main website.

Yes, everything is still being rebuilt and recounted. It will take a while considering the size of the forum!

• Like 1

• Administrators
16 hours ago, I ran away said:

I absolutely second the idea with the New posts button, that's a very important one I think.

Also, two more things:

1. I use Coldplaying a lot on mobile browser, but when I open the forums page now I can't see the notifications and messages buttons in the upper right corner anymore. You first have to open up a menu to get there. From past experience it has really come in handy to see the red number of notifications and messages at a glance.

2. Would it be possible to add back a member's join date to the profile info shown next to the posts ? I think it's so cool to see at a glance whether someone is an old or new member, for a variety of purposes. Also the roles like Honorary Coldplayer etc. seem to be missing.

Thanks for considering ?

I've put a new posts button in the menu and one in the top right of the page under the social media buttons. Is that okay for everyone?

I'm not sure if I can change the position of the notification button but its only an extra click anyway. I think it shows the number of new notifications at the bottom of the screen when you log in for a few seconds.

I will try and add the member join date and badges now!

20 hours ago, stephen said:

I've put a new posts button in the menu and one in the top right of the page under the social media buttons. Is that okay for everyone?

I'm not sure if I can change the position of the notification button but its only an extra click anyway. I think it shows the number of new notifications at the bottom of the screen when you log in for a few seconds.

I will try and add the member join date and badges now!

The New Posts button is perfect !

is it possible to redirect https://coldplaying.com/forum to https://coldplaying.com/forums ? Because that was my bookmark (and I assume any other people's), but now it doesn't work anymore because it's forums in the plural now. Obviously it takes less than a minute to just update the bookmark but maybe people who haven't visited in a while will think the forum is offline because they used an old bookmark

• Love 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Captain Crieff said:

is it possible to redirect https://coldplaying.com/forum to https://coldplaying.com/forums ? Because that was my bookmark (and I assume any other people's), but now it doesn't work anymore because it's forums in the plural now. Obviously it takes less than a minute to just update the bookmark but maybe people who haven't visited in a while will think the forum is offline because they used an old bookmark

Great idea, just implemented that there!

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

New Downloads page has been finished. Much easier for me in the backend so hopefully it will start to fill up with more files. Also you can now stream video which is amazing! Some of these files are huge but the streams are adaptive and will adjust quality depending on your connection.

Let me know what ye think!

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Administrators

Update: The site is being rebuilt and re-indexed. Right now you may notice a few glitches including post counts being incorrect and a few 'post not found' messages. These will all be fixed but the site has to go through a long process of rebuilding. During that time, search will not work. This may take a few days or even a few weeks before it is all back to normal. Most of you will not notice any difference but I just wanted to let you all know it will be fixed soon ?

In the meantime, if you encounter any other bugs, please let me know! I am trying to get out of Beta as soon as possible

Edit: I made a few changes and it seems that signatures are coming back slowly!

Hey Stephen, you've been doing a great job redesigning the site! I like it, it looks cool! I'd like to ask if it is possible to enable the push notifications for the web browser on a mobile phone. In the past I found it very useful. Moreover, I've noticed that the current colour of the quoted text in personal messages makes it a bit difficult for reading. At least in my opinion it's tough to read a dark text on a dark background.

• Administrators
51 minutes ago, M Marks The Spot said:

Hey Stephen, you've been doing a great job redesigning the site! I like it, it looks cool! I'd like to ask if it is possible to enable the push notifications for the web browser on a mobile phone. In the past I found it very useful. Moreover, I've noticed that the current colour of the quoted text in personal messages makes it a bit difficult for reading. At least in my opinion it's tough to read a dark text on a dark background.

Can you send a screenshot of the quoted text?