Kettercat

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Kings of Leon: 'Fun, Beach-Inspired' New Album

Tennessee rockers Kings of Leon will hit the road this summer on 32-date North American tour, including a stop at their home state's Bonnaroo music festival June 11. What can fans expect from the SPIN cover boys live in their own backyard? Lots of new material from their follow-up to 2008's Grammy Award-winning release Only By the Night!

"The record is coming along great," drummer Nathan Followill said during a Bonnaroo press conference today. "It will be tough to not play the whole [new album] at Bonnaroo. We're going to try to be very selective of what we play, but there will definitely be some new tunes."

KOL have been in the studio working on their new album since the beginning of April -- but this time around, the boys switched things up.

"[it was the] first time we ever recorded in New York City and we thought we'd come out with a darker record because we'd done all our records in either Nashville or Los Angeles where it's a little more chilled out," Followill says. "[but] I'll be damned if we didn't go in there and make a fun record! It's got songs that are beach-y and songs that are a little more like our Youth & Young Manhood days. We're super excited. It will be interesting to see how well received it is," he added.

why the hell does this poll see the first two albums losing? they became irrelevant, over produced and a poppy cliche of their former selves after those two (fans and charmer aside). i remember seeing them in the good old days

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHKrzyFUph8]YouTube- kings of leon- spiral staircase live[/ame]

^ I kind of remember some of those comments, but, if I recall correctly, I don't think they were apologizing for their music. They were just apologizing for the fact that they've become so mainstream, and they thought it was bunk that people who otherwise would not listen to their music were now attending their concerts and buying their CDs. That's different from being apologetic about the type of music you've produced, as they have control over one (the music) but not necessarily over the other (the fan base).

Only By The Night was good. And it got a lot of attention, I can see why so many people love it and how their fanbase grew from it

Still, to those of us who were fans before OBTN it's quite a different direction it took from their southern rock; a different, quite amazing sound.

I hope their next album is YYM/ASH-like. Those albums are fucking incredible.

I like the three albums I have (I don't have the first album). However, the last two are my favorite. I just like the more melodic sound. It's the same critique I have of Pearl Jam for the No Code through Binaural years.

Yes doooo it! :bomb:

I won't lie, I downloaded OBTN right when it came out off of iTunes, I just recently bought BOTT ... I have to buy YYM and ASH ...and OBTN again, physical copy... I'm sure Hastings has 2for1 of YYM/ASH but i've got no money :p

^ Haha...yeah, I get most of my music from other people or places, but no one has their first release. That's why I go to record stores - To fill in the blanks for cheap. I have a 40% off coupon that comes in the weekly paper, and I apply it to used music. I feel bad sometimes, but what can you do? I do try to buy albums by artists I really like (even though I don't always).