✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kings of Leon

Kettercat

:o really..lucky you!! So how are they in 'real'...??

I don't know when we'll see them in Europe, and in France... I guess next year for the LP5 tour. But we'll probably only have one date in Paris, so I *hope/pray* it will be on a day I could go...

They are ok. I met Matthew and Jacob arriving back at their hotel after a show last year. They were both friendly enough; Matthew was certainly the more engaging of the two. I saw Nathan, but he was with his girlfriend (who I think he now married). Anyhow, security asked that I let them be for the evening, so I did not bother them.

I met Caleb when he came to town for last year's Grammy Awards. I only got in the question about "Cold Desert". He looked at my 7" single of "Use Somebody" and wanted to know if it was his brothers who had already signed it. I told him "one brother, one cousin". Anyhow, I always had wondered how one could write a song as amazing as Cold Desert and not even remember doing so. In that spirit, and being the dork that I am, I went ahead and asked. He nodded in the affirmative, and confirmed that the story was true, so I told him he should do it more often because that song was kick ass.

They march with pretty heavy handed security for a band that has just recently made it big in the states, which might be the only downer. All in all, I have had good experiences. Some of my friends tell me that they have gotten to be more full of themselves over the years, but I can't verify that from my encounters.

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the details! It's cool you got to see them and it went well :) As for their attitude, I red an unofficial biography (made by a journalist & son that follow them since the beginning all the time) and like your friend, they said that some fans find too that now they are kinda acting like 'divas' with fans :confused: and that they must be careful to not alienate their fanbase. I guess everybody has a bad day and I can understand that with all that's happening to them, they can be arsh or cold sometimes :shrug: But I hope it just on occasions and it won't become a pattern...

It doesn't surprise me they have massive security, it's kind of a package deal nowadays with big bands... the producers want to protect their cash machines....v.v

I'm back...the show tonight was really good. I didn't watch the opening acts because I did not care about them. KOL came on rather late; I think it was 9:30. The set list was consistent with what was being played leading up to this show:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/kings-of-leon/2010/hyde-park-london-england-23d40497.html

That might not be the exact set list, but it's pretty damn close (they didn't play the Pixies cover). The new songs sounded really good live. I haven't been following them, but I know YouTube videos are going up and coming down. For those of you who don't like that KOL have morphed into arena rockers, you probably won't like the new stuff. It was all very accessible and an enjoyable listen the first time through. I personally don't mind it because I think they fill that roll very well.

The thing I was most impressed about was Caleb's voice. He was spot on tonight. His voice is so unique, yet it sounds exactly like it does on the album. The thing I was most bummed about was the fact that Cold Desert was not on the set list. I had just finished talking about how much I love that song, too. Oh well.

I've seen hundreds of shows over the years, and I think KOL are destined for bigger things. They rocked that venue effortlessly, and really act like they belong as one of rock's top acts. I expect their next album to take them to even greater heights. Again, I know that's a bummer for some, but I am ok with it.

By the way, some of my favorite songs tonight were Fans, The Bucket, Notion and Knocked Up. Milk was pretty good, too.

25 songs...wow, that's a long setlist nowadays! Thx for the review! I'm glad to hear that Caleb's voice is better than ever and that the new songs are working out well live (no that I had a doubt seing part of it on YT :awesome:) Pity for Cold desert, but maybe next time you'll see them!

I've seen hundreds of shows over the years, and I think KOL are destined for bigger things. They rocked that venue effortlessly, and really act like they belong as one of rock's top acts. I expect their next album to take them to even greater heights. Again, I know that's a bummer for some, but I am ok with it.

+1

They're evolving and I'm curious to see how it will turn out as long as it doesn't affect the quality of their music. So bring it on boys!!

I Like Kings Of Leon , but sex on fire is played too much and now I'm tired of it.

That's just one song of the band...

Immortals in very good quality!! :bomb:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcD_Sd3d4-0]YouTube- Kings of Leon - Face to Face[/ame]

and Mary (less good quality)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z01LQe6ko8]YouTube- Kings of Leon - Mary [Live in San Diego][/ame]

Like you Ivet, I'm sooo excited :dance: I hope a good recording of radioactive will show up on YT, it's my favorite of their new songs...!

The top song (I think you said it's called Immortals) was very, very good.

Yeah, that's 'immortals', the guy on YT called 'face to face' from the lyrics, but this song dropped a few ago in less good quality and Caleb introduced it as 'Immortals' :)

Southbound dropped in good quality :heart:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01d9k4Ck-Ak]YouTube- Kings Of Leon - Hyde Park - In Pictures - "Southbound"[/ame]

Nathan just tweeted that he had to get an IV for deshydratation after the Phoenix show :stunned: He must have kicked his drumkit pretty hard :lol:

Nathan just tweeted that he had to get an IV for deshydratation after the Phoenix show :stunned: He must have kicked his drumkit pretty hard :lol:

Alcohol consumption also makes you dehydrated, and those boys are known for tipping them back :D

The new songs sound great; they are very accessible. I had not heard them before the show because I try to stay away from them until they are released on an album (like ivet). Usually new songs don't translate well the first time you hear them live. It usually takes several listens before I come to like a song. However, this stuff is very melodic and catchy (just listen to the chorus of Immortals), which is why I think the new album will be popular amongst the masses and hated by the fans of their old stuff. Unfortunately, I think the swing vote will belong to the music critics. If the majority of the critics like it, then it will elevate their status greatly. Commercial AND critical success seems to be the key, even though I often can't stand music critics.

By the way, this seems to be the current set list that they are going with:

Crawl

Taper Jean Girl

My Party

Be Somebody

Immortals

Molly's Chambers

Fans

Milk

Closer

Mary

Four Kicks

The Bucket

Radioactive

Charmer

Sex on Fire

Notion

On Call

Southbound

Trani

Encore:

Knocked Up

Manhattan

Use Somebody

Slow Night, So Long

Alcohol consumption also makes you dehydrated, and those boys are known for tipping them back :D

Don't tell me about it :lol: Each Nathan's tweet end up with 'beer in the freezer' or 'I'm still hang over'... :facepalm:

However, this stuff is very melodic and catchy (just listen to the chorus of Immortals), which is why I think the new album will be popular amongst the masses and hated by the fans of their old stuff. Unfortunately, I think the swing vote will belong to the music critics. If the majority of the critics like it, then it will elevate their status greatly. Commercial AND critical success seems to be the key, even though I often can't stand music critics.

I don't really pay attention to critics. I read them but I don't take their opinion for granted and most of the time I disagree :laugh3: They have a tendancy to praise the new obscure bands but as soon as they get popular, they bash them for achieving commercial success and saying they 'sell their soul' ... :dozey: I think they often mistake 'commercial' music (aka Britney) and popular (which not equal less creativity!)

Anyway, back to KOL, I'm in love with Caleb's voice and Jared's bass lines, so as long as they keep that in the mix, I will love it :D

--edit------

Great setlist! Just missing Cold desert or I want you :bomb: (its bass line kills me)

^ For me, personally, I don't pay much attention to the critics either. However, a combination of commercial and critical success is always a good gauge of whether or not a band's status will be elevated. The commercial side seems to be an indicator of the overall appeal of the music (i.e. does the general public find it "like-able" enough to buy the cd, attend a concert). The critical side seems to measure whether the music is pushing new boundaries. If both are in order, you really have something. I think KOL have a chance to be successful in both areas.

Touring with bands like U2, Pearl Jam, and Bob Dylan certainly did not hurt. They have experienced both sides of success. For me, I hope U2 remains one of their number one influences because they should have been able to show KOL that it is alright to want to be a big, successful band.

I just read this review, and I find it incredibly accurate. It's actually written by someone I know. Here it is:

http://soundcheck.ocregister.com/2010/07/10/kings-of-leon-in-peak-form-as-they-kick-off-u-s-tour-head-toward-bowl-debut-and-irvine-return/30081/

That's a great objectiv review. I agree on their 'cold' side on stage, especially Caleb but hwen you know the guy throw up before, after and even between songs cause he's so stressed and frightened of failure, then you understand why he don't try to 'connect' with his audience by chit-chats or big smiles...

Never the less, this review gives real hopes for the future :dance:

That's a great objectiv review. I agree on their 'cold' side on stage, especially Caleb but hwen you know the guy throw up before, after and even between songs cause he's so stressed and frightened of failure, then you understand why he don't try to 'connect' with his audience by chit-chats or big smiles...

Never the less, this review gives real hopes for the future :dance:

I think that was the highlight of the show for me - they seemed like they really belonged on the big stage. I think this review does a great job of conveying that (he was at the same show as me). They were really engaging, and the crowd was on their feet the entire night.

I think that was the highlight of the show for me - they seemed like they really belonged on the big stage. I think this review does a great job of conveying that (he was at the same show as me). They were really engaging, and the crowd was on their feet the entire night.

It's about time they started enjoy and embrace it (I'm talking for Caleb mostly) Can't wait to witness their new confidence!