✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kings of Leon

Kettercat

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like when bands reinvent themselves and try new things but there are ways of doing it. watering yourself down and overproducing yourself isn't what i call exploring new territory though. it's hardly radiohead moving to kid a, the beatles hitting drugs or dylan going electric.

For OBTN, the KOL wanted to do an album that 'doesn't sound like a KOL album' (dixit Nathan). They wanted sthg fit for arenas shows and were influenced from touring with U2. And in that respect, OBTN is just what they wanted to do. You don't like it, that's fine but that's what the band wanted for this particular record. And yeah, that's what allows them to break America, which was also one thing they wanted to do with that record. It was very painful for them to not have the recognition of their home country. Maybe for you they 'betray their soul' to do so, but at least, it gets more people to get to their music and discover their previous work. Which is a good thing IMO.

Plus, OBTN gives us more introspectiv lyrics from Caleb, which was very liberating for him and very touching as a fan point of view.

Now I'm very impatient to see what their next move will be and from what I've heard with the few tracks already played, it's gonna be good :)

also, this sounds like a great cover and it suits them well. b-side to the new single perhaps????? i hope so!

YouTube- Kings of Leon - Where Is My Mind (pixies cover)

Oh, fuck yes.

They should have covered Here Comes Your Man :wacko: :dance:

I saw a couple of Bonnaroo vids and holy shnikies (!) :bomb: They sound freaking incredible... given the videos were quite shit...jeez :bomb: I almost died.

I saw a couple of Bonnaroo vids and holy shnikies (!) :bomb: They sound freaking incredible... given the videos were quite shit...jeez :bomb: I almost died.

It should have been ace! Nathan just tweeted:

doctorfollowill

Good morning. Going golfing to see if i can sweat more than i did at the Roo. It is a scorcher 2day but the pool will be waiting on me.

:laugh3:

• 3 weeks later...

There is a huge ITV of Caleb on this month Q

634134956500605174.Jpeg

KINGS OF LEON

"We used to get recognised at home as the queers with the tight pants on." - Caleb Followill

q289kingsofleonspread.jpg

Q289's The Q Interview is with Kings of Leon who are on a victory lap of UK festivals. Caleb and his two brothers looks back on a decade of debauchery. Find out about their drunken brawls, cocaine use and the effect their rise to fame has had on their relationship.

I bought it and it's very interesting. Caleb opened up in this ITV and he said pretty hard thing about himself: how insecure he is (to the point he considered more than once killing himself to let the band have success with his death.... :stunned: twisted logic...) Anyway, it's a great read, it's help a lot to understand the man.

I got that Q for Kasabian but was interested to read the Kings of Leon piece too. Reading it tho I found the whole article one long ramble about how much drink and drugs they did/do......yawn. It actually turned me off. And a lot of it seemed quite contradictory too - he wanted the fame, but didn't want any of the things that would bring them wider recognition - he's shagging groupies and hookers yet feels sorry for them and feels bad about it - he's the one making all these wacko decisions about their music but he's not controlling, yeah right.

Sorry to be negative, but I didn't think it was a particularly endearing article and I thought the bit about him killing himself was just horrible, you could almost feel the interviewers discomfort. I would have liked to have read more about the rest of the band. And to have learn more about the new album at least.

I got that Q for Kasabian but was interested to read the Kings of Leon piece too. Reading it tho I found the whole article one long ramble about how much drink and drugs they did/do......yawn. It actually turned me off. And a lot of it seemed quite contradictory too - he wanted the fame, but didn't want any of the things that would bring them wider recognition - he's shagging groupies and hookers yet feels sorry for them and feels bad about it - he's the one making all these wacko decisions about their music but he's not controlling, yeah right.

Caleb is a complicated man, it was no big news but it's interesting to see him trying to analyze it.

As for his way of thinking 'i want the fame but not be famous', he reminds me of Anton Newcombe (leader of John brian stone massacre). Dunno if you see the documentary 'dig' about his rivalry with the band 'The Dandy Wharols' but he's exactly in the same track of mind. They are people who want to be sucessfull but are so afraid of it when it's at their reach (because low self-esteem for Caleb or fear to 'sell his soul to puplic masse approbation' for Anton), they try anything (consciensly or not) to sabotage themselves. Not anybody has the confidence of a Tom Meighan... :P

As for the shagging groupies/hooker, he was so high on drugs that he didn't realise what he was doing at the time and it's just once he was 'himself' that he realized what he's done...He kept doing it cause shagging a new girl every night is a way of not committing, not getting involved,hence not getting hurt... And that's how we keep coming to the roots of his personnality... Same circle.

Anyway, Caleb is a tortured/low self esteem/anxious guy and I think it's brave of him to trying to open up about it and consciensly trying to analyze it for once. (instead of just pucking his fear :lol: ).

But I love that in the man, that's why I love his music so much cause all this suffering and insecurities are in his voice when he's singing and it's just very moving.

And it's all in this moment (his eyes @1min26) & song (i never ever cried when i was feeling down/I've always been scared of the sound/jesus don't love me no-one ever carried my load/I'm too young to feel this old ):

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNCyWFnOnww]YouTube- "Cold Desert" Kings Of Leon, with a banter (Live from the O2, Londres, 2009)[/ame]

respect.

Sorry to be negative, but I didn't think it was a particularly endearing article and I thought the bit about him killing himself was just horrible, you could almost feel the interviewers discomfort.

I think Caleb was just as akward as the journalist, finnally saying this terrible thing out loud...

I would have liked to have read more about the rest of the band. And to have learn more about the new album at least.

The ITV was about Caleb, and how he lived the past decade so it doesn't shock me to have just litte ITV of Nat, Jared and Matt.

And for the new album, they said it will be kinda back to the root of Aha Shake :dance: We posted the 4 new songs they started playing since june on previous pages (and should I add it's goooooOOood)

^ The Rolling Stone article on the band a few years back was very revealing. If Caleb sounds contradictory, imagine living with a father who throws everything into something as heavy as religion and then all of a sudden not. Talk about a confusing environment.

On a side note, Cold Desert is a bad ass song. That is all.

He can come to me, I'll make it all better :charming:

:laugh3: I think we all volonteer for the job :sneaky:

^ The Rolling Stone article on the band a few years back was very revealing. If Caleb sounds contradictory, imagine living with a father who throws everything into something as heavy as religion and then all of a sudden not. Talk about a confusing environment.

+1000

It really messed with their heads. That's after the slip that Nat & Caleb dropped school and started the band (+other illicite experiences). All they believied in suddenly fall apart.. and all became possible, no boundaries anymore...I'm not surprised they try to overcome it in a 'wild way'...

It's touching what he said about how he wanted to be a 'father figure' to Jared and how finally, he was so screwed up himself, that it's Jared who turned out to be more mature than him...

On a side note, Cold Desert is a bad ass song. That is all.

More than agreed. It's beautiful & very moving what he said about this song in the home movies, explained a lot his personnality (we go back to the religion hard point with the 'jesus don't love' me part...)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBdPEaNj-g]YouTube- Kings Of Leon-'Only By The Night' Home Movies- Day 22[/ame]

:hug:

Yeah, ok I get all the low self -esteem thing, it's just that he comes across as quite arrogant too a lot of the time, but like you said Aurelie, complicated man :shrug:

I guess I'll just stick to listening to the music, I'll leave off reading the interviews :lol: btw, any neews on a release date for the next album. I saw an iTunes link somewhere for new Kings of Leon music but now I can't find it again....maybe I dreamt it :uhoh:

They are one of those bands I listen to a lot but I don't really know much about their personal life or read too many interviews. So idk I guess they could all be dicks for all I know :P BUT i still want to see them live. They are coming to my town in September :dance: I think im gonna go!

^ Thanks for the video on Cold Desert. That was interesting. I had heard that Caleb was drunk and didn't remember recording that song. I actually got to ask him about it one time, and he confirmed it was true. I told him he needs to record all his songs wasted (which I don't think is asking a lot from him) because that song is a gem.

Anyhow, I am going to see them this Friday in San Diego. It should be fun.

Yeah, ok I get all the low self -esteem thing, it's just that he comes across as quite arrogant too a lot of the time, but like you said Aurelie, complicated man :shrug:

Arrogant :thinking: I've never feel he was like that but I guess it's possible he appear like that to people by his 'coldness' (aka shield for his shyness)...

I guess I'll just stick to listening to the music, I'll leave off reading the interviews :lol: btw, any neews on a release date for the next album. I saw an iTunes link somewhere for new Kings of Leon music but now I can't find it again....maybe I dreamt it :uhoh:

No dates announce yet but they seem pretty far in the recording process from what I gathered... but Nathan still tweet about studios/beer/gym session so :shrug:

I would kill a man for those 105$ for pit tickets :evil:

WHAT?!!! 105$ for a pit ticket??? :stunned: what's wrong with america?!! In Europe, that's the cheapest ticket...Maybe it's the price for a 'golden aera'??

^ Thanks for the video on Cold Desert. That was interesting. I had heard that Caleb was drunk and didn't remember recording that song. I actually got to ask him about it one time, and he confirmed it was true. I told him he needs to record all his songs wasted (which I don't think is asking a lot from him) because that song is a gem.

He was also on pain medication through all the recording process because of his broken shoulder (thx Nathan for that...) and said that most of the lyrics were written when he was in a haze with the pills (and add alcohol on that :lol: ).

He said that in one of the 'only by the night home movies', they kinda explain all the song of the album, like for Cold desert. It's on their youtube channel, they are a lot of them:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kingsofleon#g/u

But you met Caleb???? :stunned: Lucky you!!!

Anyhow, I am going to see them this Friday in San Diego. It should be fun.

:dance: again, lucky you!!! I'd kill to hear 'radioactive' live :bomb:

Yeah, I've met them all but Nathan.

:o really..lucky you!! So how are they in 'real'...??

I don't know when we'll see them in Europe, and in France... I guess next year for the LP5 tour. But we'll probably only have one date in Paris, so I *hope/pray* it will be on a day I could go...