✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Kings of Leon

Kettercat

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm toying with the idea of seeing them again this Wednesday. It's right down the street from my house. I already spent a lot of money in San Diego, though. We will see.

Woah, you're lucky to live near a venue like that! It depends if you've have enough money to spend on tickets...

Yeah, funny thing is I drove an hour and a half to see them in San Diego and I might not go to a venue 5 minutes from my house. My friend could only go Friday, and tickets are usually easy to get in San Diego. That's why we went there. I might try to scalp a cheap one for Wednesday. Set list is pretty much the same, so it's not like I'd hear different songs.

Hi!

I read the interview in Q last night, too.

Paula's and Aurélie's discussion:

I got that Q for Kasabian but was interested to read the Kings of Leon piece too. Reading it tho I found the whole article one long ramble about how much drink and drugs they did/do......yawn. It actually turned me off. And a lot of it seemed quite contradictory too - he wanted the fame, but didn't want any of the things that would bring them wider recognition - he's shagging groupies and hookers yet feels sorry for them and feels bad about it - he's the one making all these wacko decisions about their music but he's not controlling, yeah right.

Sorry to be negative, but I didn't think it was a particularly endearing article and I thought the bit about him killing himself was just horrible, you could almost feel the interviewers discomfort. I would have liked to have read more about the rest of the band. And to have learn more about the new album at least.

Caleb is a complicated man, it was no big news but it's interesting to see him trying to analyze it.

As for his way of thinking 'i want the fame but not be famous', he reminds me of Anton Newcombe (leader of John brian stone massacre). Dunno if you see the documentary 'dig' about his rivalry with the band 'The Dandy Wharols' but he's exactly in the same track of mind. They are people who want to be sucessfull but are so afraid of it when it's at their reach (because low self-esteem for Caleb or fear to 'sell his soul to puplic masse approbation' for Anton), they try anything (consciensly or not) to sabotage themselves. Not anybody has the confidence of a Tom Meighan... :P

As for the shagging groupies/hooker, he was so high on drugs that he didn't realise what he was doing at the time and it's just once he was 'himself' that he realized what he's done...He kept doing it cause shagging a new girl every night is a way of not committing, not getting involved,hence not getting hurt... And that's how we keep coming to the roots of his personnality... Same circle.

Anyway, Caleb is a tortured/low self esteem/anxious guy and I think it's brave of him to trying to open up about it and consciensly trying to analyze it for once. (instead of just pucking his fear :lol: ).

But I love that in the man, that's why I love his music so much cause all this suffering and insecurities are in his voice when he's singing and it's just very moving.

And it's all in this moment (his eyes @1min26) & song (i never ever cried when i was feeling down/I've always been scared of the sound/jesus don't love me no-one ever carried my load/I'm too young to feel this old ):

YouTube- "Cold Desert" Kings Of Leon, with a banter (Live from the O2, Londres, 2009)

respect.

I think Caleb was just as akward as the journalist, finnally saying this terrible thing out loud...

The ITV was about Caleb, and how he lived the past decade so it doesn't shock me to have just litte ITV of Nat, Jared and Matt.

And for the new album, they said it will be kinda back to the root of Aha Shake :dance: We posted the 4 new songs they started playing since june on previous pages (and should I add it's goooooOOood)

Yeah, ok I get all the low self -esteem thing, it's just that he comes across as quite arrogant too a lot of the time, but like you said Aurelie, complicated man :shrug:

I guess I'll just stick to listening to the music, I'll leave off reading the interviews :lol: btw, any neews on a release date for the next album. I saw an iTunes link somewhere for new Kings of Leon music but now I can't find it again....maybe I dreamt it :uhoh:

I loved reading your discussion.

I felt like Paula reading it.

Then Aurélie defended him in a way and I do get all the low self-esteem / anxiety stuff.

Still, being drugged doesn't count as an excuse to shag fans because taking drugs is the first mistake already.

I mean, he can do anything he wants... but the way he talked about it... :\

He also talks about taking cocaine as if it was like eating a bar of chocolate every night as a guilty pleasure.

Can't really express my thoughts about the article... but I love their music!! :heart:

So like Paula I'll stick to listening, not that interested in Caleb's thoughts.

Makes me feel bad for him though to hear that he's still puking when they play gigs!

Totally looking forward to the next album. If it'll be any bit like Aha Shake I can't WAAAAIT! :dance:

They are one of those bands I listen to a lot but I don't really know much about their personal life or read too many interviews. So idk I guess they could all be dicks for all I know :P

Haha, same for me!

Concert Review: Kings of Leon

Just as Kings of Leon was about to take the stage Monday night at Usana Amphitheatre, plumes of red smoke emanated from each side of the stage and an operatic aria flowed out of the speakers.

It was a pretentious opening that reminded me of a Coldplay concert 18 months ago, when the British band aspired to be the next U2.

But after a short set that lasted under 90 minutes, it was apparent that Kings of Leon, despite their rapid ascension in the arena-rock world, are not a Coldplay, and definitely not a U2.

The Followill clan -- brothers Caleb Followill (vocals, rhythm guitar), Nathan Followill (drums) and Jared Followill (bass), with cousin Matthew Followill (lead guitar) -- showed intermittent promise throughout the set, but eventually disappointed because of a lack of drama and showmanship. There was no passion.

It is not a bad band, by any means. The interplay of Caleb and Matthew reached breath-taking highs, with Caleb churning out urgent power chords with Matthew added atmosphere, depth and texture to the rock band's Southern rock-influenced guitar anthems. There was also admirable evidence of not only inspiration drawn from pre-British Invasion pop but also Strokes-like garage rock from the early years of the millennium.

And the band's most notable instrument is Caleb's voice, a grizzled, sexy, soulful, whiskey-soaked dagger that snakes through your heart and shakes your hips. On record and on stage, he is one of the most disinctive and believable singers across rock's horizon.

But Caleb, and the rest of the band, were statues throughout the night, perhaps making a stab at being serious musicians but lacking any sense of irony or charisma that connected the crowd to the band. It seemed as if the band would have played the same show, with bland banter included, whether it was in Salt Lake City or Cleveland.

The Nashville band was backed by a large black-and-white video screen that showed grainy footage of what was happening on stage, conjuring up images of the band's obvious early influences Allman Brothers or Lynyrd Skynyrd from long ago. Around the stage was a wall of small red and white lights, which looked like the hull of a ship with scores of lights coming out of portholes, and not to mention the running lights of a ship coming at you from the starboard side. Sparks and small fireworks scattered at the end of the three-song encore, but by then it was too late.

A highlight of the set was the undeniably exhilirating rush of "Sex on Fire," and just before the encore, a song called "Trani" from the band's first album. "Trani," a song about hookers and cocaine and so much more, built drama from the first notes to the dizzying, loud finish, completing an arc that was cathartic.

It was a song that the band needed more of to build a set full of songs that showed how powerful dynamics can be in a live setting. Most of the songs were tuneful but short, lacking the tension that imbues songs by, yes, U2 and Coldplay. Short songs led to a short concert that did not leave fans happily exhausted, but wishing for more.

But Kings of Leon are young, and they have been getting better, and will get better. Now that their fourth album, "Only By the Night," has become their breakthrough, it is with much anticipation we await their fifth album, due later this year.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/blogs/burger/49957183-53/band-caleb-followill-rock.html.csp

That review doesn't surprise me as it is basically the general reproof (both press and fans).... A lot of reviewer has warned the band about their 'coldness' on stage, which is beginning to alienate fans...

I've never seen them live, so I can't judge... but I know what to expect if I ever see them. I know that Caleb won't be as chatty and warming the crowd as a Gary Lightbody but quite the total opposite (again, ref. to his stress problem when he's on stage). I know that something will be missing on the 'human' side but I'm fully aware of it. As long as the performance is good, I think I would be satisfy. But I can understand why people who don't really know them are disappointed...

I've listened to Only By The Night as a whole album, and wasn't impressed at all. Therefore I have the impression that people are voting for it because they like Sex On Fire and Use Somebody (don't get me wrong, two really good songs, but you're supposed to be picking a favorite ALBUM). I greatly advise those who have never heard Because of the Times to quick, go purchase it and give it a good listen. If you desire a quicker, more rocking sound, the first two albums prove to be quite the rockers!

I just saw that on twitter...what happens exactly?? They cancelled because pigeons were shitting on stage?? :inquisitive: seriously :facepalm:

If that's the reason, I'm kind ashamed of them...that's no big deal! How many bands have played in WAY worth conditions (storms, lightening, rain, etc...) and still manage to put on amazing performances. Poop pigeon is just a lame excuse to bail out IMO. I totally sympathize with the angry crowd, I would have been pissed too. That's not with that kind of behavior that they'll keep their fanbase...I'm very disapointed of them... :/

I really HOPE that someone will 'shake them up' and put some sense in them...back to reality KOL, it's urgent!

And the funny thing is how Nathan blamed the venue, as if they could control skies above in an outdoor amphitheater :shrug: I am hoping that there is more to the story than is being presented at the moment. If not, I hope the concert promoter sticks it to them. After all, this is a contracted event :deal2: Maybe a few law suits will get them to change their ways.

Yeah, and I love how nathan acts like a refund will make people whole again. Hell, when I saw them, my ticket was maybe 30-40% of the overall cost. Plus, they just wasted about 10,000 people's Friday night. Hey, I stick up for them when it's warranted, but I hope they fry on this one unless there more to the story. However, at this point, there doesn't appear to be.