✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Dave Matthews Band...

Yoli

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to see them live once when I still liked them. It was shortly after Everyday came out..I think with that album it all went under. It was no longer jamming, it was too studio sounding, too fake, too radio-friendly. Anyway, they put on a good show, but I wouldn't go now since I have no interest in what they have been doing with their albums.

As long as the albums are good, it won't. As long as the heart is there in the art of the music, and not just love for the money, they will keep their integrity. This new record is not as strong in my opinion. The next one, I hope, will be stronger.

i heard from friends who are fans that both the new album and recent shows suck

Different strokes for different folks I guess. Here's a review from the show I saw on Thursday and it is right on:

Copyright Times Publishing Co. Jul 15, 2005

Okay, so I get it now. The Dave Matthews thing, that is. The cult. The adoration. The previous unexplainable, inexplicable, seemingly contrary-to-logic phenomenon that is the Dave Matthews fan base.

"It's a special occasion. It's DMB. They don't have to (see what we do). They know. They can feel it. It's DMB. They get the love," said fan Tara Raes.

Come on, Tara. They get the love? Are you kidding? Damn, do they get the love. At the amphitheater show, they got love you just don't see often, especially when at least half of the capacity crowd, 20,000 strong, trudged through a minefield of parking lot mud pits just to reach the amphitheater stage.

If there is a band that prompts a more familiar groove from its fans, this reviewer has never seen it.

On Thursday I realized the power of a Dave Matthews Band show.

With the DMB, we're all family. We're all old school. We're all at the family reunion, we're all at girls' night out, we're all at boys' night out. We're all together, and DMB finds a way to make it so.

They played songs, mind you, but the individual songs hardly mattered. You caught What Would You Say here, or Ants Marching there, and more tunes than expected off the newest disc, Stand Up, and really it didn't matter, because it's the DMB, and they play so tight. They play with such an organic syncopation that they could rip through Oops! I Did it Again and you would play along for every single second.

Why? Because despite their spotty recording history, they are that incredible live. They are in their element and then some. They are a rock band, a blues band, a jazz band, a jam band.

And as best a straight man can put it, they are adorable. They are the Dan Cortese to the George Costanza and his man-crush on Seinfeld. They are guys' guys, and man are they ever ladies' men. Take it from every close-up of Matthews on his acoustic guitar, of violinist Boyd Tinsley with his impressive exposed biceps, of easygoing, unflappable drummer Carter Beauford.

They are expert musicians, and to DMB fans, they are idols, they are mentors, they are family. It was a reunion of sorts Thursday night, even for fans who never had seen DMB live before.

It was a party, and everyone was included, everyone was invited, and one can hardly imagine a soul left unhappy. If there is a better way to enjoy oneself on a rainy summer evening, I can hardly imagine how.

I have to say i WAS very disippointed in their new album 'Stand up'. The only song i really liked was 'american baby'. :/ Im becoming less of a fan but i still will always love...

Where are you going

Grey Street

The space between

Crash

Stay up

and

American Baby. :confused: :cool:

• 3 months later...

Dave Matthews Band

I didn't see any thread about them, so I wanted to go ahead and start one.

Are there any fans? I know that they do not tour internationally on a regular basis, but for those who have seen them, they put on a great show. I am going to my 20th and 21st show in December, and I am extremely happy, especially because I have 4th row seats for them.

Any other fans of their music? :guitarist:

I'd consider myself a pretty big fan...and another one in this message board (which surprisingly...hasn't had his dave matthews band sense hone in on this thread) is 'thebestyoucan'. I think that dave's voice is one of a kind and has a funny dance too when playing live! :lol:

i know... i started his birthday thread over there, :lol: that is where we 'met' i had no clue he was a Coldplay fan, although i knew he could snark with the best of them.

Boring ever since Everyday.

i am a huge dmb fan, and if you dont know anything about their studio work this sums it up perfectly. their live shows are still going strong.

the icon in your sig confirms why Carter gets all the P***y. :p

are you going to any shows on the winter circut? i am going to both nights at MSG in NY. :D