✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Dave Matthews Band...

Yoli

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they're not corpertate jam...

they released an album independantly to be begin with, and it was that album (remember two things) that made RCA want to sign them up. DMB didn't sell out, they just madesure they had wider distribution...

and with such distribution, they've donated so much to charity, made thesmelves available for as many good causes as they agree with, helped promote other bands, hell, dave used his status, and ties to help co-create his own label in theus,a to which he signed david gray up to....

But i would put them in jam band myself...they're not rock, they have influences of rock (mostly the drummer with bass) influences of punk (the bass), folk and coutnry and classical (voilin) jazz (sax) etc...a rather eclectic mix...

wasn't fond of everyday album myself, but i did like it.

they're not corpertate jam...

they released an album independantly to be begin with, and it was that album (remember two things) that made RCA want to sign them up. DMB didn't sell out, they just madesure they had wider distribution...

and with such distribution, they've donated so much to charity, made thesmelves available for as many good causes as they agree with, helped promote other bands, hell, dave used his status, and ties to help co-create his own label in theus,a to which he signed david gray up to....

But i would put them in jam band myself...they're not rock, they have influences of rock (mostly the drummer with bass) influences of punk (the bass), folk and coutnry and classical (voilin) jazz (sax) etc...a rather eclectic mix...

wasn't fond of everyday album myself, but i did like it.

Well... I deemed them "corporate" based more on their audience than anything else. I think you misunderstood me, but then again, I really didn't bother explaining myself either. :P

But I would still argue that they very much DID sell out with Everyday. If you have a perfectly good album, and your record label makes you trash it, so you do so and write an album with some other guy not in the band purely because he'd written hits before, drastically changing your sound to something that's undoubtedly more "commercial" by any definition of the word, isn't that sort of the exact definition of "selling out?" Granted, they obviously weren't satisfied with it since they ended up retooling and releasing their canned album anyway and haven't gone back to that sound since then, but they still did it.

• 6 months later...

they are ridiculously talented musicians and one of the tightest bands out there. i have emense respect for them as songwriters and musicians and i am in no way embaressed to say that i have every one of their cds and every song they've ever performed live

so, you're a fan? :lol:

What is their best album, in your opinion? If I had to buy just one, which would you recommend?

did you hear about that story of their tour bus going over a bridge and the bus dropped its "waste dump" over a bridge and it landed on a row boat and the people sued. talk about crash...

Yes!! Those damn hippies polluting the environment! :)

if i could have just one dmb cd i think i'd go with crash. it has quite a few songs that are considered essential dave (#41, Two Step, Lie In Our Graves, say goodbye) plus some radio staples (Crash Into Me, Tripping Billies, So Much To Say). It also has a nice combination of really mellow songs (proudest monkey, cry freedom, let you down) and rockers (too much, drive in drive out). i also like uttad and btcs alot but crash is their best imo. if you get uttad listen to pfwyg (it's my favorite dmb song) and with bttcs listen to dreaming tree (great understated bass part)

if i could have just one dmb cd i think i'd go with crash. it has quite a few songs that are considered essential dave (#41, Two Step, Lie In Our Graves, say goodbye) plus some radio staples (Crash Into Me, Tripping Billies, So Much To Say). It also has a nice combination of really mellow songs (proudest monkey, cry freedom, let you down) and rockers (too much, drive in drive out). i also like uttad and btcs alot but crash is their best imo. if you get uttad listen to pfwyg (it's my favorite dmb song) and with bttcs listen to dreaming tree (great understated bass part)

I rule. I've only heard Crash Into Me. :lol:

Some people think it's a little crazy to see someone that many times, but for me it's always a good excuse to have a lot of fun. This summer my boyfriend and I are going to Alpine Valley in Wisconsin(2 shows) to see them, and The Gorge in Washington (3 shows), and the show here in Phoenix. They're basically just weekend long parties. We're also traveling to Cali to see Colplay at Coachella of course:)

After this coming summer, I'll have been to 18 DMB shows.

I haven't even been to 18 concerts, in total, i think. :confused:

Oh, I have definitely been to 18 shows. I think last year alone I went to more than that. As for DMB, I have seen them once live, and wasn't all that impressed, too much money for so little. And they only play great, big venues, which is not my style.