Travis

lucyinthesky

• Replies 7.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaaah, i want to see Travis live too :bigcry:

i just checked that the last time they were in finland was in 2000 :(

That's almost as bad as placebo not coming to finland for 10 whole years. Not that i'm a big fan of placebo but anyway

That's almost as bad as placebo not coming to finland for 10 whole years. Not that i'm a big fan of placebo but anyway

me too :bigcry:

i didn't knew that Rolle, i thought they've gone there not long time ago.

About Placebo they are working on their new work now and finally they have a drummer. So may be they'll go to Finland soon

me too :bigcry:

i didn't knew that Rolle, i thought they've gone there not long time ago.

About Placebo they are working on their new work now and finally they have a drummer. So may be they'll go to Finland soon

Nah-ah, i can't wait to see Travis live :cheesy: Maybe they'll come here now after the new album is released :dance:

Yeah well placebo came to finland last year and i also know about those problems they had with their drummer but ah well. My friend is a bigger fan of placebo than i am actually :P

a blog from fran which i thought was quite interesting:

Ode To J. Smith- A Dark Fairy Tale?

Posted Oct 05 2008

15:03PM

Pictures: 0

The album is about a day in the life of some guy. I called him J.Smith.

Each song is a scene from this day. For instance, in Broken Mirror I saw him standing in front of his smashed mirror after he's punched it out. He's lost the will to live and is asking it in the classic fairy tale way to tell him what to do. But all he sees is himself, reflected in the shattered glass. "Mirror Mirror on the wall..."

Also the running order isn't chronological. We felt that we wanted to mix it up. However, the first song is the first scene and the last song is the last scene.

To get the most out of this record, you should listen to it like you would read a book. It works as individual songs but there is also a narrative present.

The idea of writing a record in this way inpired us to use art work from old novels. Hence our use of a couple of classic penguin book covers.

That's it. Enjoy.

----

ahhh, felix and me are going to london tomorrow morning! :dance:

if they go there you definitely should try to meet them... they're super nice :D

a blog from fran which i thought was quite interesting:

Ode To J. Smith- A Dark Fairy Tale?

Posted Oct 05 2008

15:03PM

Pictures: 0

The album is about a day in the life of some guy. I called him J.Smith.

Each song is a scene from this day. For instance, in Broken Mirror I saw him standing in front of his smashed mirror after he's punched it out. He's lost the will to live and is asking it in the classic fairy tale way to tell him what to do. But all he sees is himself, reflected in the shattered glass. "Mirror Mirror on the wall..."

Also the running order isn't chronological. We felt that we wanted to mix it up. However, the first song is the first scene and the last song is the last scene.

To get the most out of this record, you should listen to it like you would read a book. It works as individual songs but there is also a narrative present.

The idea of writing a record in this way inpired us to use art work from old novels. Hence our use of a couple of classic penguin book covers.

That's it. Enjoy.

----

ahhh, felix and me are going to london tomorrow morning! :dance:

have fun :dance: :dance:

hey, just a quick word from london town :nice:

last night was sooooooo amazing! :heart: seriously the best gig i've ever been to! the atmosphere was great, the band was totally into it, they were having so much fun. fran said it was the best gig at this tour :cheesy: also, we were at the front and had a brilliant view ^^

aaww, they're such a nice bunch of ppl, really!

plus, we met chris afterwards! ahahahaaaa!!! :dead: he went to the gig as well, you'll find more information in the coldplay section...

best. night. EVER!!

see you! :nice:

hey, just a quick word from london town :nice:

last night was sooooooo amazing! :heart: seriously the best gig i've ever been to! the atmosphere was great, the band was totally into it, they were having so much fun. fran said it was the best gig at this tour :cheesy: also, we were at the front and had a brilliant view ^^

aaww, they're such a nice bunch of ppl, really!

plus, we met chris afterwards! ahahahaaaa!!! :dead: he went to the gig as well, you'll find more information in the coldplay section...

best. night. EVER!!

see you! :nice:

Wow!!!! You met Chris Martin? Did you get any photos? Did you get to meet Travis aswell? Glad you enjoyed the gig, the Liverpool gig the other week for me was one of the best gigs I've seen them do, they are on fire on this tour :D

Finally heard the album! Got fed up not being able to find information of an official release date here and checking the shops every day with noone having any idea so I gave up and downloaded it. I will of course buy it as soon as it becomes available here. The Oasis album coming out on Monday did take my mind off this for a few days. So here are my ratings (out of 10) from the first couple of listens:

Chinese Blues - Great start and would be great live. 9

J. Smith - Didn't think much of it as a single but it just seems to work in the album in between CB and SA. 7

Something Anything - The type of song I've wanted from Travis for a years. 9

Long Way Down - Good tune and probably good live. 7.5

Broken Mirror - Probably my least favourite. Bit dull and forgettable in the sense that when the album finishes, I can't remember how it goes. 6.5

Last Words - Not out of place on The Inivisble Band. 8.5

Quite Free - Another that could have been on The Invisible Band. 8

Get Up - Like J. Smith, I didn't like it much on the EP but again, in the context of the album it works. After listening to the album on the bus to Uni, I even found this to be the one playing in my head during the day! Eyes Wide Open, the most similar song from last year's album, is better though. 7.5

Friends - Beaufitul song, bit like Closer. 9.5

Song To Self - Perfection. Closer pretty much went straight into number 2 on my all time Travis chart last year (Why Does It Always Rain On Me? will not be beaten by any song, by anyone for me) and this certainly enters the top 5 in the Travis chart. Possibly even peaking at 3 eventually. 10

Before You Were Young - Great finish. 9

Overall, it's great. It's the type of album you have to listen to all the way through and the best songs come at the end so you don't want to stop before you get to them. Of course it's not going to beat The Man Who or The Invisible Band but I'm still trying to decide whether it beats The Boy With No Name. Aside from Song To Self, TBWNN has better individual songs (Closer, My Eyes, Battleships, 3 Times And You Lose) but this one might be better as an overall album as it's solid from start to finish. For me TBWNN was some of their best stuff up to My Eyes, but the songs after were not of the same quality.

Note that this all comes from 2 listens, both on the bus so I hope it's a fair enough review. :)

i posted this at the travis tour archive:

hello helloo!

just got back from london and now i'm finally able to say sth about the gig.

i don't really know where to start, though. let's try it this way... me and my boyfriend came all the way from germany to see the guys. we met two people from the coldplay messageboard and queued up really early, like 3 pm. so yeah, since we also went sightseeing the day before, it was exhausting, but totally worth it, because we made it to the front row, andy's side :)

this was my 2nd travis gig (saw them last year in hamburg) and what can i say? it was the best gig i've ever been to. seriously. it topped the two coldplay concerts i went to a few weeks ago. the atmosphere was just awesome, the sound was so great and you could tell that the guys were having so much fun. also, i was really thrilled to hear re-offender and falling down live.

gah. what a night it was. later we were waiting at the backstage entrance and that was when we bumped into CHRIS MARTIN! i couldn't believe it, i still can't. he was so nice =) i was a bit sad i didn't get to meet fran again, but hey, i guess i shouldn't complain, eh? i heard the guys were having a nice aftershow party.

well, now i'm back and there are so many amazing moments i will remember for a very long time. it was worth every single cent i spent for the trip. i'd do it again anytime, and i'm sure i will.

and i so hope the guys will be back in northern germany soon. fran? please! ;)

thank you so much, travis!

^you'll probably have the time of your life, trust me! :D

and don't forget there's a travis gig broadcasted online in 1 hour!

Travis: Live from Berlin

09/10/08

Travis played the last night of their headline UK tour at the Astoria last night. Thanks to everyone who came along to the recent UK shows and posted photos and reviews in our Tour archive.

The band travelled to Germany today to do a round of promo for their new album Ode To J. Smith, this includes a show this Friday in Berlin which will also be streamed live online.

You can tune into the broadcast at http://www.livedome.com/

The transmission starts at approximately 9.10 pm in Berlin. See the Live Dome site for further details.

:dance:

^you'll probably have the time of your life, trust me! :D

and don't forget there's a travis gig broadcasted online in 1 hour!

Travis: Live from Berlin

09/10/08

Travis played the last night of their headline UK tour at the Astoria last night. Thanks to everyone who came along to the recent UK shows and posted photos and reviews in our Tour archive.

The band travelled to Germany today to do a round of promo for their new album Ode To J. Smith, this includes a show this Friday in Berlin which will also be streamed live online.

You can tune into the broadcast at http://www.livedome.com/

The transmission starts at approximately 9.10 pm in Berlin. See the Live Dome site for further details.

:dance:

Oh i know , i saw them last year and they were absolutely awesome! :D