✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

U2 will perform in front of Berlin's Brandenburg Gate next Thursday, November 5, as part of the 16th MTV Europe Music Awards. And you can register now for a chance to get a pair of free tickets.

As a prelude to the Fall of The Wall celebrations in Berlin, the band return to the city for a free ticketed performance which will be beamed into the 2009 MTV Europe Music Awards.

'It'll be an exciting spot to be in, 20 years almost to the day since the wall came down.' said Paul McGuinness, U2's manager. 'Should be fun.'

Tickets to attend 'MTV EMAs present U2 at the Brandenburg Gate' will be free of charge and available by registering HERE (English Language) or HERE (German language) from 0900 (CET) on Wednesday 28 October 2009.

Tickets, which will take the form of a bar-coded e-ticket, will be available on a first-come, first-served basis and will be restricted to a maximum of 2 per applicant. Access to the performance will be strictly via one advance, scanned e-ticket per person. Tickets will not be available on the night.

'The exceptional musical heritage of this year's EMAs spans genres and generations and we are extremely proud to be bringing U2 to Berlin for this extraordinary performance,' said Antonio Campo Dall'Orto, EVP, Music Brands, MTV Networks International and Executive Producer for the MTV Europe Music Awards. 'This year's Awards will be remembered as the night when the world's major music players came together against the backdrop of the fall of the Berlin Wall to celebrate music, freedom and the birth of a new age in Europe.'

The MTV Europe Music Awards will take place at the 02 World, Berlin on Thursday 5 November 2009 and will be broadcast live on MTV at 9pm CET. The MTV Europe Music Awards are sponsored by Sony Ericsson, MTV Games/Harmonic's The Beatles' Rock Band and Dell. For more information - and to vote - please go to http://www.mtvema.com

:D

I'm so pissed off - no chance for me, the tickets were out so fast :(

Guest howyousawtheworld

U2 just have an aura about them live which no other band has. I believe that bands like Coldplay and Muse are just as good performance wise during gigs, but in terms of an aura U2 have IT! They are the most extraordinary band I've ever come across. More so than the Beatles for me. Their live shows make me think... 'how is that physically possible??' The huge towers and tv screens of the Zoo TV tour is unbelievable! The masive arch - FUCKING HUGE screen and of course the lemon during Popmart was fantastic!!! And this huge 360 stage with an incredible tv screen... unbelievable! Only U2 could come up with such things!

p.s - the popmart set - my favourite!

Yeah, I don't know which one is my favourite. But I think it might be Popmart. I loved the whole look of the tour, the muscle shirts, the lemon, the screen, the songs, everything about it was awesome.

I love the Popmart versions of Until the End of the World and Last Night On Earth.

i've been trying to convince a friend of mine that U2 is the last of the true "megabands". but he remains adamant that bands like coldplay and muse will one day reach the heights of U2 but i just dont see that happening. yes maybe in some parts of the world they will become huge but i just cant imagine either of them doing stadium tours for the next 20years the current music climate just doesnt allow for it. and last time i checked neither Muse nor Coldplay wrote The Joshua Tree.

other megabands = pink floyd, rolling stones, the beatles, ac/dc, led zeppelin and queen.

But life is growth, change, and improvement! U2 started out, as anyone band does, sounding like a so-so cover band, and weren't even certain if they would continue. But they grew, and improved quite dramatically! So Coldplay has very much so as well - it's a matter of natural development. Ever listen to some of the very early Beatles works? Sounds more like howling, than like the grand songs they later came to master!

ok both coldplay and muse are about a decade into their careers (going by release of debut album) compare that to where U2 were in 1989-90. they had already released 5 massive albums and brought out Rattle + Hum, around most of europe and australia they were almost exclusively playing stadiums. now i can only provide an australian perspective. and in 1989 australia was where U2 chose to start their comeback tour (aka Lovetown) they did an 8 night stay in sydney and 7 nights in melbourne. coldplay are no where near that.

i'm not saying that coldplay and muse are inferior bands to U2. that would be very hypocritical cos i like cp and muse much more than i like U2. what im saying is that i cant imagine either band reaching the same levels of popularity of U2.

^ His voice has been decaying for the past ten or so years, and although its most noticeable on their new material (like magnificent and no line) he can still surprise by hitting a few old high notes. The highlight of the you-tube rose bowl show for me was actually the way he sang the first half of with or without you. He fell back into a deeper voice that sounded almost as great as it did in the 80s.

Well to me it didnt....and he sang the songs weird too...i dont know but they have a really nice stage...overall it was a very good concert.

he sang some songs in a different way,after all these shows is kinda boring if you don't make some little changes.

^ His voice has been decaying for the past ten or so years, and although its most noticeable on their new material (like magnificent and no line) he can still surprise by hitting a few old high notes. The highlight of the you-tube rose bowl show for me was actually the way he sang the first half of with or without you. He fell back into a deeper voice that sounded almost as great as it did in the 80s.

I agree strongly with a couple statements here:

1) Clearly, his voice is not what it once was.

2) He can still surprise you.

I thought that during the Rose Bowl show, his voice was patchy at times. I don't like it how he sometimes "talks" some of the lyrics instead of signing them. But the man has been signing for almost 30 years, and it is unrealistic to expect his voice not to decline somewhat. Overall, I will still take live U2 any day of the week. Bono at 80 to 90% of his vocal peak is better than almost anyone else at 100%, and sometimes he still reaches back and blows you away. There are plenty of recent examples to prove it.

Except the show last night sucked. I was unsatisfied with them largely, it became a formulated piece of shit to me. The only good part was Edge. Bono couldn't sing, and Edge showed him up multiple times. Bono didnt play to the crowd at all. Way to show us you love us, his proclaimed favorite city in Canada.

Larry was tired and didnt care. Adam was Adam. I was mad, I could have watched Rose Bowl as it was the EXACT SAME.

Except the show last night sucked. I was unsatisfied with them largely, it became a formulated piece of shit to me. The only good part was Edge. Bono couldn't sing, and Edge showed him up multiple times. Bono didnt play to the crowd at all. Way to show us you love us, his proclaimed favorite city in Canada.

Larry was tired and didnt care. Adam was Adam. I was mad, I could have watched Rose Bowl as it was the EXACT SAME.

YOU ARE SO FULL OF SHIT.....

Oh right Im wrong it wasnt the exact same. They didnt show the video of the guy at the end of IALW, and they didn't do the Zoobaby. Other then that it was the exact same. Oh yeah and a Happy Birthday for Bill Gates.

I will never spend money on this band again. I now feel happy pirating their music.

Best part of the concert, leaving after Streets and getting home before the concert was over.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Being a bit harsh on Bono. He's still a better singer than most if not all singers in rock music today.

alot of people who went to wembley to see coldplay and U2 said the coldplay show was better for one very simple reason, you could tell it means so much more to them to play in front of 80 000 of their own fans. for U2 selling out a massive football stadium is just another day at the office. yes, im sure they appreciate every moment of it, but the fact that this has become the norm for them is reflected in their performances. i guess at the same time we shouldn't forget that this band has been touring for almost 30 years. they're bound have an off night sometimes.