✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Pink Floyd Thread

Jacob

this is random but when I went to the local supermarket earlier today, Wish You Were Here was playing on a radio. That seemed totally bizarre and it kind of made me angry: you're not supposed to play Pink Floyd as a background music! I know it was the radio but still in a way it felt like a background music. I wanted to go and turn the volume up and say to people: listen! Ok I'm making no sense, sorry.

it's probably because lately i've been reading a book about Pink Floyd, about Syd and about that song as well.. so nowadays when I hear Wish You Were Here I almost break into tears.

and yes, people have different ways of listening to music and some people might play certain bands merely as a background music at home too, but imo Pink Floyd requires more attention. It's too damn good to be there on the background!

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Ur totally right !! But what pisses me off is when people around you hear this, don't know and say : "Wow, this music is not bad..."

About Syd and Wish You Were Here, have you known about that day he came over in Abbey Road while they were recording Shine On ? He had shaved his hair and eyebrows, and had a real overweight, so that they did not recognize him immediately. And when someone said "this is Syd", Waters and Wright fell in tears. I just can't imagine how shocking this could be !

I finally got my very own Dark Side of the Moon cd today.

just listened it through and it truly is a masterpiece. (well you knew that already but still!) the way it sort of flows forward is wonderful, everything is in balance.

Right from the very beginning, that sound of heart beat.. spine chilling, in the best possible way.

Yeah ! Good to hear that ! (actually to read that...)

Another piece of good news : in honour of Syd Barrett, David Gilmour will release this XMas (on the web) and the next day (in the stores) a record titled Arnold Layne EP (for those who don't know, Arnold Layne is the very first non-jam song from Pink Floyd, composed by Syd), which will include :

- Two Gilmour Royal Albert Hall live versions, one featuring Richard Wright, and the other David Bowie

- An acoustic version of Syd's solo song Dark Globe (absolutely terrific IMO), still by David Gilmour.

alayne06.jpg

I think I know what I'm gonna offer myself for Christmas...

that sounds like a wonderful tribute to Syd :)

I'm thinking of giving myself a Christmas present too and that would be On An Island. Haven't heard any of David Gilmour's solo material yet so it's about time I guess. Although I'd love to buy the Pulse dvd too but that's a bit too expensive atm.