✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Pink Floyd Thread

Jacob

he lived in a tiny cul-de-sac off one of the main roads in Cambridge, nothing spectacular I'm afraid, I only know cos one of our old family friends used to live a couple of doors down from him. I think it was his mother's house actually....

but the reason he moved back there I think was cos he had to go to the mental hospital for treatment because of the problems that came with taking drugs, and his mum's house was about 1 mile away from that. That's what I've heard anyway, not sure how true it is.

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

he lived in a tiny cul-de-sac off one of the main roads in Cambridge, nothing spectacular I'm afraid, I only know cos one of our old family friends used to live a couple of doors down from him. I think it was his mother's house actually....

but the reason he moved back there I think was cos he had to go to the mental hospital for treatment because of the problems that came with taking drugs, and his mum's house was about 1 mile away from that. That's what I've heard anyway, not sure how true it is.

yes, this is the truth. I know almost everything about him.

When i would go to cambridge i wouldnt expect something spectacular.... i just would love to see where he and the other members from pink floyd were born.

I also would love to see the Granchester Meadows.

Why is there no 'A Saucerful Of Secrets', no 'Atom Heart Mother', no 'Ummagumma', no 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason', no 'More', no 'Division Bell' in this poll ?

I voted 'Dark Side Of The Moon', but I could have voted 'Atom Heart Mother', too : I think those are the two greatest disks ever.

I have P.U.L.S.E DVD. It's great, but it couldn't be something else including this wonderful concert.

Rest In Peace Syd

Why is there no 'A Saucerful Of Secrets', no 'Atom Heart Mother', no 'Ummagumma', no 'A Momentary Lapse of Reason', no 'More', no 'Division Bell' in this poll ?

I voted 'Dark Side Of The Moon', but I could have voted 'Atom Heart Mother', too : I think those are the two greatest disks ever.

I have P.U.L.S.E DVD. It's great, but it couldn't be something else including this wonderful concert.

Rest In Peace Syd

ahhh another floyd fan! :D

Dont know why these fantastic records aren't included in this poll......

maybe the one who made this poll didn't know these albums!?

and yes, AHM and DSOTM are one of the greatest records ever made.

My favourite are......hmmm.....dont know.......ah yes, I love them ALL. :D :D

Went to a David Gilmour show on saturday and it was amazing......Echoes, Astronomy Domine, High Hopes ect. best show ever!

only Pink Floyd could top that.

• 1 month later...

I've been watching P.U.L.S.E for nearly two months this summer, and I just can't seem to get enough of it : I mean, I don't think any band made more. This live just beats all others on every point :

- Music ~ Pink Floyd means the best, and this Comfortably Numb version includes the most beautiful guitar solo I've ever heard (and seen)

- Light show ~ I just don't wanna imagine how much it could've cost !

- Additional musicians ~ Just watch The Great Gig In The Sky and try not to cry...

yeah, dont think that we'll see anything like this ever again.........

it's all just perfect....the music, the lightshow....just everything.

I dont know how many times i've watched pulse.....but i bought the vhs years ago and couldnt get enough. Now i have the dvd and it is still amazing..... :dance:

Have you heard anything about the abbey road sessions from David Gilmour?

He played an acoustic version of Echoes there!!!! :dance: :dance: :dance:

Hope we'll get it soon.

Do you wanna know something that almost made me cry : he made one only concert in Paris, March 21st 2006, and one of my friends told me this one month before : there was no tickets left. My buddy got there and told me he made Echoes and lots of Floyd stuff (an amazing Great Gig In The Sky, it seems...). And at a certain moment in the evening, people sung "Happy Birthday To You, David" (for those who don't know, David Gilmour was born March 6th 1946).

At the end of the song, he answered in perfect French "Je crois que c'était il y a deux semaines, mais merci beaucoup" ("I think it was two weeks ago, but thanks a lot")

When my friend told me this, I thought "You traitor, you should've told me he was up to Paris ten years sooner !"

that sucks mate.......

I saw him 2 times this year (Hamburg and Munich)

In Hamburg everyone (including myself) sung happy birthday to him aswell.

He was speaking german all the time and it was really funny.

Im glad that I had the chance to see him twice this year.......and i hope it wasnt the last time.

I hope he comes back on the road, and then hopefully to france so you can see him! :)

So the question is:

Pulse vs. Is Anyone Out There (The Wall live)

Which is the better live album?

the album is called : Is There Anybody Out There. :)

I prefer PULSE at the moment....but ITAOT is also a great live album.

I think ITAOT is better than the studio version of the wall.

@Cirrus Minor

Ive missed Roger Berlin gig too. But i hope they come back as Pink Floyd

for a small farewell tour....

the album is called : Is There Anybody Out There. :)

I prefer PULSE at the moment....but ITAOT is also a great live album.

I think ITAOT is better than the studio version of the wall.

Both lives are very very different :

- First because on Is There Anybody Out There ? you have a live of Pink Floyd's four members, whereas P.U.L.S.E is by the three of the time (Gilmour, Mason, Wright)

- Second because Is There Anybody Out There ? is The Wall Live, which means only The Wall album, with some more songs coming from the original Waters concept, such as "What Shall We Do Now ?" (later on the movie) and "The Last Few Bricks" (sort of summary of the first half of the album). P.U.L.S.E, even if it includes the entire Dark Side Of The Moon album, includes also many other songs, and is much longer. On Is There Anybody Out There ? you are really deeply in The Wall spirit and the performers are acors as much as musicians.

I can't say I prefer one or the other, but one thing is sure : At the end of P.U.L.S.E, you're happy, and at the end of Is There Anybody Out There ? you're sad, because of The Wall's natural sadness.

But what pisses me off is that there's no DVD version of Is There Anybody Out There ?, which was a huge visual act, with the building of The Wall on the stage, and puppets, and all...

@Cirrus Minor

Ive missed Roger Berlin gig too. But i hope they come back as Pink Floyd

for a small farewell tour...

I hope so, but a part of me says : "Man, did you see P.U.L.S.E ? Did you hear the lyrics of 'High Hopes' ? How can you still hope there will be anything by Pink Floyd by now ?"

• 2 weeks later...

Pink Floyd has myriad links to indie and avant-garde music

One in four British households and one in 14 Americans under 50 own a copy of Pink Floyd's "The Dark Side of The Moon." And when you consider that they all played it for their friends, it's easy to see why "Dark Side" was easily one of the most universally embraced albums of the rock era.

Of course, its influence was pervasive in the mainstream -- Radiohead's "OK Computer" is considered the latest generation's "Dark Side," and Coldplay sounds like Floyd meeting up with U2. But landmark techniques employed in the production of "Dark Side," such as concrete sound splicing, electronic ambience and ethereal guitarscapes, don't exactly come up that often in popular rock music.

Or do they? The dregs of the charts (teen pop, country, rap and nu-metal) might not evince much Floydian perspective, but the same can't be said for the much larger independent music community. There are thousands of musical artists who the corporate media ignore, yet nonetheless have substantial followings, and Floyd affected many of them.

The intricate web of Pink Floyd's far-reaching associations didn't begin abruptly with "Dark Side," but rather a decade earlier. The early Syd Barrett version of the band on its 1967 debut, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn," was considered a masterstroke of psychedelia. Barrett had a freaky, earthy side, inspiring (along with Nick Drake and others) the recent rebirth of psychedelic folk encompassing the likes of Devendra Banhart, Wooden Wand and Joanna Newsom. Floyd also journeyed to the outer limits with "Interstellar Overdrive," a dense jam of amorphous, shimmering guitars that heralded the birth of space-rock -- perfected in the '70s by Hawkwind, who married alien bleeps with a driving hard-rock edge.

The thick walls of guitars were rediscovered in the '80s by various camps in the underground. Brooding L.A. postpunkers Savage Republic admitted to the Floyd influence, while Sonic Youth sometimes began its sets with tripped-out Floydisms. UK shoegazers My Bloody Valentine and Slowdive owe a lot to the Floyd fuzz, second-generation space-rockers Spiritualized often set their controls for the heart of the sun, and ethereal progenitors The Cocteau Twins inhabited a similar astral plane.

With the dawn of the '90s, there was no question that Pink Floyd -- as masters of atmosphere, loops and repetition -- loomed above the drugged-out rave scene and both the ambient electronics of The Orb and acid-house pioneers such as Psychic TV. The denizens of the dark were also paying attention -- 1995's Floyd tribute album "A Saucerful of Pink" contains contributions from the gothic/industrial scene, such as Alien Sex Fiend and Leather Strip.

Spacey, instrumental epics a la Floyd are a staple of the underground to this day. The first wave of "post-rock" grew out of the '90s indie scene with Stereolab, Tortoise, Mogwai and Godspeed You Black Emperor, followed by the more recent second wave, in which some hardcore and emo bands are slowing things down a bit -- notably Envy, Explosions in the Sky, Mono and Russian Circles (described in Guitar Player as an "instrumental jam between Pink Floyd and Fugazi").

The very term "rave" was coined in the mid-'60s to describe multi-media, Fluxus-style art and music happenings in the United States and England which ventured into the experimental realms. Paul McCartney, John Lennon, and Yoko Ono were known to attend some of these events (one in 1967 was titled "Technicolor Dream") at which Pink Floyd performed, along with other forward-thinking groups.

Placing Floyd in their original context -- that of a band regaling in vibrant psychedelic culture, rather than just aging arena-rock dinosaurs -- makes it feasible for '60s-era boomers to catch up on what they might have missed the first time around. Groups that played on bills with Floyd, such as jazz-rock prophets Soft Machine and free-improv giants AMM (who have an excellent primer discography in this month's issue of The Wire magazine) are very much worth investigating, as are many of Floyd's contemporaries, such as the "Krautrock" bands Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Can and Faust, who never attained Floyd's gigantic stature, yet still exerted a monumental impact on several generations of rock and electronic music. All of these artists still exist today in some form or another.

If you listen closely, the track "Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving With a Pict" from Pink Floyd's 1969 album "Ummagumma" offers evidence that Roger Waters identified with his contemporaries and knew what he was doing, even though it seemed just like fooling around. Around the 4:22 mark, slowed down for clarity, he clearly says, "That was pretty avant-garde, wasn't it?" And it was, for its time.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06264/723519-42.stm

• 1 month later...

This thread deserves a major BUMP!

I started listening to Pink Floyd albums only couple of weeks ago, but don't people say that better late than never?! (so far I've only heard Wish You Were Here, The Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle and The Division Bell). At this point it's way too early to choose a favourite album, there're still so many left yet to listen.. :)

anyhow, I'm happy that I decided to listen to them in the first place! Only trouble now is to find the time to properly listen to all the music they've created..

it's interesting how person's music taste changes.. or at least mine has changed or is changing..

the first time I heard the Dark Side of the Moon was maybe a year ago and then it sounded just strange (embarrassing, yes) but lately I've been listening to it more and now the album in a way makes complete sense (if music can make sense in the first place)

with Pink Floyd there's so much material to listen to, I've listened to their albums randomly which maybe isn't the best way but it's working so far..

Relics is next on my list :)